VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread

172K views 139 replies 111 participants last post by  92murderado 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
At the request of many of the long-time forum members, this thread is being created to serve as a place to rate the various G60 tuners one has to choose from when looking for a rebuild.
Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with. But, please post ONLY in the format indicated below. ALL other posts will be deleted or modified. I want to keep this clean and easy to read through.
Also, PLEASE try to keep this factual as opposed to emotional. Expressing unhappiness or happiness is fine, but I don't want this to degenerate into a pissing match full of emoticons and bad language.

REVIEW FORMAT:
Please post Yes/No or short answers to the following questions. Make multiple posts if you've worked with multiple rebuilders. Please do NOT post anything that does not fit this format. Feel free to leave questions blank if they don't apply. Periodically, I'll tabulate the numerical answers to the last two questions so that we can have a quick-glance "score" to look at.
Also, please enter your answers with corresponding questions so we know what you're talking about. You can copy and paste the questions into your new post, then just type your answers between them.

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing the results of this thread!
-Nate
PS - for informational purposes, the three rebuilders that get the most reccomendations on here regularly are, in alphabetical order:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) Kompressor Kanada
3) ORZ-Motorsport
And although this thread was created with the intent of providing a rating method of sorts, it's important to realize that a low number of responses regarding a given rebuilder doesn't necessarily indicate that they have a bad reputation.

[Modified by SaabFan, 7:49 AM 4-18-2003]

See less See more
#100 ·
Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Me
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 6 days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Complete rebuild, RS2 upgrade, polishing, porting, blue color
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No, everything was allright
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Yes, used parts that I wanted
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? Sure as I done it to myself
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Air pressure grew up from 0.6 bar to 0,92 bar now
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? No need of that
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10

Modified by Majsha at 3:08 PM 1-23-2007

#101 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SaabFan)

Rebuild Services:
1)Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
-KK
2)What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
-28days
3)What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
-stage4, bright aluminum
4)Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
-whole half of charger replaced
Customer Satisfaction:
1)In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
-yes
2)Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
-yes
3)Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
-yes
4)Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
-yes, no because it works great!
Overall Rating:
1)On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
-10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
2)On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.
-10 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by jt932 at 10:54 PM 2-17-2007

#102 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? BBM
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 2.5 weeks (most was shipping time from ALABAMA, actual time in shop was only about 4 days)
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? rebuild with port work
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? none
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?yes http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? over the top!http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? smaller pulley = more boost

4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Well, the charger came with no warranty due to the smaller pulley, however, the guys at BBM were willing to check my charger out when I noticed and oil leak about 2 weeks after installing. So far still dont know where the oil leak is coming from, but they made no issues about checking it out for me, even though it technically didn't come with a warranty. These guys are AWESOME, don't hesitate to do business with them!
Overall Rating:
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.10
Customer service is great, and they are even willing to do custom stuff for you. Props to the guys (and girls) at BBM!
And a BIG Thanks from Erin & Daniel (Mobile, AL)

#103 ·

Had my supercharger rebuild by Bahn Brenner in Aug 2004.
Turnaround time was about one week.
Had the standard rebuilt done with some machining on the outlet.
No repairs done at this time. Just excellent work by them.
I am very happy with the service, quality of materials and workmanship.
Customer service was excellent
Much improved performance from the G60.
It has been well over the warranty and have not had any problems with the system. It just runs and runs.
Overall rating would be a 10 for quality of work.
Custome service would be a 10.
Great job by all at Bahn Brenner. Thank you.
Tony De Franco
Sarasota, Florida

#104 ·

Rebuild Service:
1. kompressor kanada
2. 3 weeks to get it there via crappy USPS. turn around time4 days. 5 days to get back to me via UPS.
3. full rebuild
4. no repair needed
Customer Satisfaction:
1. very happy with material and workmanship.
2. customer service was very good and kept me informed
3. don't kow yet its not broken in. but anythings better then what it was!
4. yes came with warranty.
Overall Rating:
1. 10
2. 9.5

#106 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) 3 Weeks
3)OE Spec rebuild, RS/RSR Porting-Stage 4, 68mm Pulley
4)No Repairs
Customer Satisfaction:
1)Very happy with rebuild, looks brand new and puts out way more boost
2) Spoke with John Betz himself and he was too nice and very knowledgeable...nice dude
3) 100% difference in the performance
4) I'm pretty sure a 6 month warranty is included and no warranty work with 1,000's of miles logged on since rebuild
Overall Rating:
1) 10 on work
2) 10 on customer service

#107 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (G60Jisoel)

Rebuild services:
1 BBM
2 3 days
3 New apex strips, oil seals, super wide belt conversion
4 No repairs
Customer satisfaction:
1 Happy with finished product - still breaking it in
2 even though the person i spoke with had only worked there a matter of weeks he was very knowledgeable and helpful
3 cant tell the car was in such bad shape when i picked it up ie really badly leaking boost tubes, hole in piston etc. The charger looked pretty good however.
4No warranty at all. Although they did say if anything broke they were responsible for they would take care of it.
Overall rating:

#108 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (2deepn2dubs)

Quote, originally posted by 2deepn2dubs »
Just got my G-60 going after having an oem spec rebuild by Bahn Brenner. So far-so good seems to be pumping some good psi. Good customer service, as soon as they got it they inspected it and called me. I got it back 6 buisness days after I sent it http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif overall 9.5, -.5 because when I got the pakage back the charger was faced pulley down and resting against the bottom of the box, if it had been dropped it would've landed directly on the pulley... otherwise great expeience with BBM, thanks guys, and keep up the good work! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

UPDATE...I now have 10k miles on my charger and now only boosts 5psi, i have a fresh motor rebuild with good compression and no boost leaks!

Modified by 2deepn2dubs at 6:37 PM 10-11-2007

#109 ·

UPDATE...I now have 10k miles on my charger and now only boosts 5psi, i have a fresh motor rebuild with good compression and no boost leaks!

Modified by 2deepn2dubs at 6:37 PM 10-11-2007

emailed you

#112 ·

Not good, you might need a new charger
We did this build in early 2004
Just for the record the g-lader can be an unreliable unit when over driven with a power pulley even if brand new or newly rebuilt.
I'll talk to you soon.
Sorry to see that your charger is in this condition.

#114 ·

hey everyone... Id just like to thank John at BBM for the "customer satisfaction discount", i got my package back today and even tho he didnt have to, john kicked down the OEM oil seals instead of the oem spec seals that i had ordered, Super stoked!! Thanks John
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#115 ·

hey everyone... Id just like to thank John at BBM for the "customer satisfaction discount", i got my package back today and even tho he didnt have to, john kicked down the OEM oil seals instead of the oem spec seals that i had ordered, Super stoked!! Thanks John
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Very glad that you are happy, thanks again
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#116 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (JBETZ)

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? Kompressor Kanada
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? Less than 2 weeks
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Stage 4

4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? not that I remember
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? Oh yeah

2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? YES
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? The stage 4 delivers more than I expected it to.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? Yes, it came with a warranty and thankfully I haven't had a need for it.

Overall Rating:
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.10

#117 ·
just thought i'd post up here.
i didnt actually get my 'charger "rebuilt" but i bought it off ebay and the PO said it was rebuilt a few hundred miles ago, already had RSR stage IV porting so i had the gt70 porting done as well.
took 3 weeks including shipping time from SE tennessee to his facility in oregon, they took it apart and recommended the tune up and the bearings looked great so i went along with this. got it back and it took me almost a month to break it in properly (500 miles with little to no boost, i only hit 2-3 psi towards the end of the break in once or twice, and i never went over 3k rpms). been almost a thousand miles since i got it back with no issues. shes really quiet and boosts slightly low but im guessing i have a few small boost leaks to chase down. no oil leaks and i will be sending it back in a year for another inspection and probably a tune up and belt.
thanks john! (charger went to BBM by the way)

#120 ·

Quote, originally posted by sabbfan »

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? BBM
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 10 days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc. Standard oem rebuild
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? I'm currently in contact with John at BBM. He's made it very clear he stands behind his warranty if needed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? 10.. they were informative, courteous, and professional

3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? Hard to tell staying off boost and under 3k rpm. Still breaking in with almost 200 miles so far.. noticed right away that it's much quieter though.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes and no
Overall Rating:
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 10

Update 10/27/08 Due to a small oil leak BBM paid for shipping both ways, replaced oil seal free of charge, and had it back to me within days. Thanks John... honoring your warranty along with quick service like that guarantees I'll be back for more! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Nine2cg60 at 12:12 AM 10-28-2008

#122 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (beckyg60)

Quote, originally posted by beckyg60 »
Any thoughts on OEM vs OE spec rebuild (already decided on BBM)? I'm all about keeping originality, but, does it really matter?

Ok, so the OEM VAG Goetze oil seals are a little tougher, stiffer or better material and better geometry. From what I have seen I believe that they do last longer and they are after all true OEM... so they cost more. Thank you for your business

#123 ·

Quote, originally posted by SaabFan »
...Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with...

I sent off my KK Stg IV to be inspected to 'da crew at BBM. A place you just feel there is a real sense of teamwork and pride. And I was gladly confirmed of my intuition!
March 19th
My KK Stg IV arrives at the BBM workshop to have Mark view and diagnose the blower. Not good, displacer has bits missing out of it and the apex was definitely not going well. I guess this is the reason for the 7.5 psi on my gauge? Missing bits was allowing the air to whisp past and then the apex was being spit out in pieces making the displacer useless. I spoke up, "I have the original g-lader from the car, can we use that?" Mark said we would need to know what generation it is and go from there. It was a match! They are going to combine with best parts and upgraded parts into a single unit.
The Mark helped me feel very confident in his knowledge as well as the history BBM carries in the field, not talking over anyone's head and being straight forward to me, courteous and informative.
I know with the attitude and positive communications like this, BBM is the correct choice to have my blower taken! BBM is off to a very, very good start in my book.

#124 ·
FV-QR

Rebuild Services: Charger 1 '04
KK
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
2 1/2 weeks
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
stage 4 plus paint
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
no displacer was in perfect condition
Customer Satisfaction:
not very happy as the charger blew an oil seal the first second it hit boost....the paint was nice
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?sure dave is fun to talk to
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades? no
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
charger was returned 4 or 5 times each time it blew an oil seal within minutes of it hitting boost dave finally stopped warrantying it and blamed motorteknik for installing the wrong size seal(even though the charger was running great before he touched it)
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.0
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.7

Rebuild Services:
KK '07
KK(i know slow learner)
2-3 weeks
stage three
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?minor displacer repair
Customer Satisfaction:
nope charger never developed over 8psi
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
no i was yelled at in an email
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
no charger developed 7-8psi for a month now is down to 6psi
im not sending it back im tired of paying hundreds of dollars in shipping to have my charger come back to me no better off then when i sent it out i will be using BBM for all of my supercharger needs
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.0
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.0

Modified by Clownracer v2 at 11:44 PM 4-3-2009

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.