VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread

172K views 139 replies 111 participants last post by  92murderado 
#1 ·
Hello everyone-
At the request of many of the long-time forum members, this thread is being created to serve as a place to rate the various G60 tuners one has to choose from when looking for a rebuild.
Please post in this thread to allow others to know about your experiences, good or bad, with rebuilders you've worked with. But, please post ONLY in the format indicated below. ALL other posts will be deleted or modified. I want to keep this clean and easy to read through.
Also, PLEASE try to keep this factual as opposed to emotional. Expressing unhappiness or happiness is fine, but I don't want this to degenerate into a pissing match full of emoticons and bad language.

REVIEW FORMAT:
Please post Yes/No or short answers to the following questions. Make multiple posts if you've worked with multiple rebuilders. Please do NOT post anything that does not fit this format. Feel free to leave questions blank if they don't apply. Periodically, I'll tabulate the numerical answers to the last two questions so that we can have a quick-glance "score" to look at.
Also, please enter your answers with corresponding questions so we know what you're talking about. You can copy and paste the questions into your new post, then just type your answers between them.

Rebuild Services:

1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to seeing the results of this thread!
-Nate
PS - for informational purposes, the three rebuilders that get the most reccomendations on here regularly are, in alphabetical order:
1) Bahn Brenner
2) Kompressor Kanada
3) ORZ-Motorsport
And although this thread was created with the intent of providing a rating method of sorts, it's important to realize that a low number of responses regarding a given rebuilder doesn't necessarily indicate that they have a bad reputation.

[Modified by SaabFan, 7:49 AM 4-18-2003]

See less See more
#25 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (SaabFan)

Rebuild Services:
Bahn Brenner
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? 18 Days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
Standard rebuild and 19mm Belt conversion
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
No repairs were needed. I purchased this 2RS supercharger new from TEC Automobiledesign and it had reached 50k miles. So I Opted for a scheduled rebuild when one of the twin belts looked worn. The team at BBM was already familiar with the 2RS GLader
Customer Satisfaction:
I am very happy with the quality of materials and workmanship at BBM
John Betz and crew are excellent and customer service is top notch
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Yes, seemed to spool up faster, I've kept the stock pulley in place
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
The rebuild did come with a warranty. TEC GLaders seem to have problems with the front seals. John graciously fixed my front seals after about 6 months after the rebuild at no charge. When I described the condition, he asked me to send it in and he fixed it immediately. He installed another new belt and new seal. The next time I require another rebuild, it will go back to people at BBM
Overall Rating:

#26 ·

BBM, December 2001
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
Maybe 10 days due to UPS Ground shipping. It was at BBM for 2-3 days of that.
Standard rebuild, full OEM (the expensive one). Repaint also, which was an unexpected surprise.
Not outside the scope of the rebuild.
Very.
Yes, they called me right away when they got my G-lader and reported its condition (bad bearing but otherwise fine, rebuildable). I asked them to call me when it shipped back to me, and they didn't, but that's no big deal.
Actually I had it out of the car for maybe five months due to a number of technical problems, so by the time I had it back in I couldn't remember what it had felt like before. I was just thrilled to have my boost back. It's been running great for maybe 30-40K since the rebuild.
Six month warranty, voided by use of any pulley other than stock (not an issue for me). Never needed it.

#27 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild? BBM
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back? Three Days
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc. Full Monty OEM Rebuild, RS/RSR Porting, GT-70 Intake porting, Ceramic Coating
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs? No, the charger was pretty much good to begin with. The charger had 120K miles on it and it was time.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship? For sure. They used all OEM parts and offered more options than anyone else in the market place. Just about anyone can rebuild a charger, but BBM has went above and beyond.
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service? BBM has some of the best customer service I've experienced. I've bought lots of parts for my dub and haven't come across another company like BBM.
I was getting 10lbs before the rebuild I'm getting 13lbs now. 4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not? Yes, my BBM rebuild came with a 1 year warranty. However, I've since changed my stock pulley to a 68mm and I guess this voids the warranty... shhhhhh.
Overall Rating:
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work. 10
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service. 11

#28 ·

Rebuild Services:

Bahn Brenner Motorsport
2) What was the turnaround time?
Over a week. (I live across the country)

3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
Standard rebuild with OEM "spec" parts. And RS/RSR Porting.
No
Customer Satisfaction:
Yes
Yes
The new sound of the RS/RSR porting is awesome. So much deeper and mean sounding. Way more serious. No more wooo wooo wooo wooo. I've got the stock pulley on and getting 10 lbs of boost at redline as it should.
6 month warranty. Returned it after warranty and they hooked me
up with a free rebuild.

Overall Rating:
1500 miles on it and things are great.

I returned the charger to them because of excess oil spittage. And low max boost (which might be because of something else). I would get 10 lbs at 3200 rpm with a 68 mm pulley. Which rocked. Now I've got the stock pulley on it , getting 10 lbs at redline. After I replace my intake manifold gasket, which is leaking, I will put a 68 on it and see what I get then.
Just editing to say that a 68 mm pulley got me 15 lbs of boost at redline.

Modified by LooseNut at 3:25 PM 9-8-2004

Modified by LooseNut at 5:26 PM 11-17-2005

#29 ·

Kompressor Kanada
Around 10 days.
Standard rebuild, Stage 2 Porting.
There were some areas in the displacer that needed to be rewelded.
I am very happy. I recommend KK to everyone that asks.
Without a doubt. I received a call from David at KK as soon as he received the SC and he let me know what was wrong with it. He let me know what was wrong and how he was going to fix it. I thought it would cost an arm and a leg but it didnt.
I thought that the charger was okay without the rebuild, was I wrong. The G60 sounds different and the car is so much more powerful than before.

11 (KK went out of their way to make sure that I was satisfied.)

#30 ·

Rebuild Services:
Bahn Brenner
About 10 days (took 4 days to get there, but they overnighted my charger back to me)
Full OEM rebuild and RS/RSR inlet/outlet porting
None, they said it was flawless inside.

Customer Satisfaction:
So far, yes. I have ~1200 miles on it so far. I'm only getting 12psi out of it, but I'm attributing this to an undetermined boost leak.
Aaron (hope I spelled it right) is the man! Very courteous and took the time to explain things and answer questions. I only talked to John personally once when he called to tell me they got my charger in. He seemed to be in a big hurry and wasn't very talkative (maybe that's just John).
Builds boost a lot quicker.
This charger would have had a warranty, however, despite the fact that I shipped my stock pulley along with the carger, they neglected to return my charger with it on. Instead I received the charger with my 68mm on it. I had the option to return the charger to BBM so they could swap the pulley and I'd get my warranty, or I could leave it and have them ship me my stock pulley but void my warranty and credit me $100. I opted to leave the 68mm on it.
Overall Rating:
8, so far there's no problems with the work. In my case they could have used some more quality control with the pulley issue.
10, Aaron really bent over backward to get me my charger back before 4th of July weekend which I appreciated greatly.
-T

#31 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (Corrado_g60)

PVAG 0wnz j00...Keeping the money in the USA

Rebuild Services:
PVAG Pine Valley Auto Gruppe
13 Days, these guys have normal jobs also so i didn't expect to have it all done and back within a weeks time.
Standard rebuild plus hella porting...3 finned

My original s/c was a 3rd gen. and on one side of the displacer a apex strip stopper was destroyed and on the same side an apex strip ate a valley into the exhaust side casing. A core 1st gen. s/c was bought, and rebuilt.
Customer Satisfaction:
Hell ya, fidel and lewis don't F around when it comes to g chargers.
Very happy, I called fidel every day at least once a day to get the scoop on what happened that day. Spent at least an half an hour on the phone each time with him. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Of course, my 3rd gen. s/c that was destroyed put out 5-6 pounds, fresh rebuild + hella porting =

Yes, 6 month warranty as long as the s/c is broken in on the stock pulley. I just got it back...and it won't go back till its time for a check-up.
Overall Rating:
10x10x10x10x10
10x10x10x10x10, I sent it out the first of August to PVAG because i needed it back for rush...they got it back to me with 2 weeks to spare http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by IMNOBUG at 5:44 AM 8-14-2003

#32 ·

Rebuild Services:

Kompressor Kanada
~2 weeks, with ground shipping
Full rebuild, with stage 3 porting, silver paint.
Yes, it required a small repair at the end of one apex strip grove.
Customer Satisfaction:

Yes, the rebuild looks like a quality job.
Very. I had a rebuild kit that I purchased from another user, intending to do it myself. However, I am on travel too much of the time to get it done. David worked with me on price to allow for the kit.
TBD - will re-edit when I get it all back together. But I'm sure it will do much better than the 5 PSI I was measuring at the TB before.

Yes. TBD
Overall Rating:

Bryan

#33 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (hallkbrd)

Quote, originally posted by hallkbrd »
Rebuild Services:

Kompressor Kanada (bought a remanufactured G-Lader)
~1 week after the time of ordering.
stage 4 unit with silver paint.
N/A
Customer Satisfaction:

brilliantly done.
i've known david for years and he has always treated me well when it comes to a business deal. we're friends aside from that as well.
this is a supercharger that i have never used before so, i don't know for sure. it is performing as well as my previous stage 4 (also a KK unit) which blew the displacer apart due to MY negligence.
yes. no i have not had to return it for warranty work.
Overall Rating:

maxwell

i quoted and changed it 'cause it was easier!!!

Modified by MA_XXX at 10:53 AM 8-19-2003

Modified by MA_XXX at 10:54 AM 8-19-2003

#34 ·

Rebuild Services:
1) KK
2) 1+ week
3) Rebuild with mild porting
4) Apex strip groove repaired by welding the end.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) Very happy with the rebuild.
2) Great customer service. I was sent a close up picture of the apex strip groove damage and asked if I wanted to pay the money to have it welded. I was told the warranty would apply even with a welded displacer.
3) I noticed a few more psi of overall boost and the boost comes in at a lower RPM.
4) 6 month warranty, has not been 6 months at this time.
Overall Rating:
1) 10 for quality of work.
2) 10+ for rate the quality of customer service.
I only have 3k miles on it and have been using the stock pulley. I'm getting 11psi near redline and I have a 268/260 cam. Dave is a great guy to deal with and I highly recommend his service. I needed some extra small parts, which he tossed in for free.

#35 ·
Eip
2) What was the turnaround time?
oh i guess about 1 month and that was with 3 day air both ways.
3) What rebuild services did you have performed?
full rebuild
I wasnt informed of any damage at all
Customer Satisfaction:
No not at all. Iwas told they use substandard parts after i sent it off for repair, sadly they were right.
Not at the time, which was probably over a year ago but have had problems since
Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Well it used to leak a little oil now it leaks a whole lot of oil, so there was an improvement in oil flowing into my intercooler
Yes it came with a worksmanship warranty. I have used it four times to date. 1st time it went about 250 mi
2nd timewent about 300 mi
3rd time i swear it went only 7.9 mi before my car started blowing insane amounts of smoke. Not to pleased to say the least. They did back up their warranty every time but i had to take it out every time and clean all the oil from my boost tubes and flush out my intercooler and ship it off. Now i am in the process of trying to get a different rebuilt charger which EIP is going to give to me.
Overall Rating:
--10, i dont want to sound mean but not only did i not get anything for my money, but now my charger is in worse shape than when i sent itout. Not to mention all the other stuff ive had to go through and being without my ride for like 6 months all together.
Well i posted a big long thread about my experience with EIP which they read and imediately contacted me about. Since the thread i have been recieving much much better customer service. So pre-thread maybe a 0, post-thred maybe a 8. I really think rich at EIP is trying to keep a good name for the company in striving for great customer relations,unfortunately im not so sure the rest of the crew feels as adiment about his customer satisfaction goals

#36 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (hallkbrd)

Rebuild Services:

Bahn Brenner Motorsports
3 hours
GT-70 rebuild, Superwide Cogbelt, RSR Outlet, RS/RSR Porting, Installation of 65mm Pulley
Nope
Customer Satisfaction:

Very much so. It was a sight to see.
Absolutely, great customer service. I even treated them to lunch.
Even in the break-in period I was peeing my pants!
Due to me choosing a 65mm pulley the warranty was void (perfectly ok with that)
Overall Rating:

#37 ·
Rebuild Services:
BBM
a little over 6 weeks after the time of ordering.
GT rebuild with full port and polish.
Non-that I was informed about
Customer Satisfaction:
NO, it got worse. When I shipped it out I was getting about 3psi of boost after I finally got it back it did not put out any boost.
NO, They sent me the wrong supercharger rebuild the first time around. I then had to pay to ship it back to them and have the correct one sent back down to me. I ended up having to pay for shipping 4 times.
NO, after the rebuild I got 0 boost out of the charger.
Non-that I was made aware of. There wasn’t event any paper work to let me know what they had done or if there were any problems.
Overall Rating:
Less the 1
Less then 1
One very pissed off BBM customer. I ended up taking it to a local shop who told me that the insides had been botched so bad they were surprised that it had not grenaded on me. After spending over $2000 on the rebuild I had to spend another $3500 going with another solution. Avoid BBM if you can.

#38 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (xyemox)

Quote, originally posted by xyemox »

One very pissed off BBM customer.

Just a thought I wanted to post after reading such a negative review of a company so many forum members hold in high esteem. If/When you have problems with someone's products or services, the first thing that should happen is an effort to work those problems out with the company. Often, the cause of something like a 0 boost reading can be outside the charger (i.e. boost hoses, IC, etc.) In fact, I was suprised enough by your comments that I checked with BBM, and though they have record of you as a customer, it was not for rebuilding a charger.
Anyways, I don't want to get this thread off topic, but just thought I'd add my thoughts. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
-Nate

Modified by SaabFan at 4:34 PM 12-15-2003

#39 ·

I don’t want to go to far off topic but I felt a response was warranted here. I just wanted to let you know that I replaced all of my boost hoses and used a cleaned and boost verified intercooler on the car. I ran the car no higher then 2700rpm for about 1,000 miles to break it in. After the break in I was still not getting any boost in fact it had gone down. After pulling the system apart I found grease from the charger all up in the hoses and intercooler. I ended up having to run the car naturally aspirated for several months while saving up the money to get a different solution. As for them not finding me in their "system" doesn’t surprise me. It took them 2 tries to get me what that I ordered in the first place and ended up having to pay shipping there and back on both tries.
On another note I have purchased other things there and had no problems getting what I ordered. I may have gone overboard in the first post because just thinking about the money spent really gets my ire up.

#40 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (xyemox)

I am going to find out what is going on here!
Playing phone tag with this guy....
Our records show that he just bought a screw compressor pulley???
I'm not sure what the story is, we have no records of even doing a g-lader under his name.
Anyway, I sure would like to help him get more than 0 psi.
Best wishes,
John Betz
BBM

Modified by JBETZ at 2:46 PM 12-18-2003

#41 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (JBETZ)

Rebuild Services:

KompressorKanada
5 business days
Standard rebuild with Stage3 port and polish, OEM VW paint. I also bought Dave's Hop-Up Kit including 65mm pulley.
Yes, displacer tip needed welding to fix a small crack.
Customer Satisfaction:

Absolutely. Dave does awesome top notch work.
Yes. The roar intake pipe I bought at the same time cracked and Dave worked very hard to get his fabricator (who he now no longer uses) to make me a replacement which he shipped free of charge. Recently I thought I might have excessive charger blow by and he spend quite alot of time with me on MSN troubleshooting the problem (turned out to be nothing to do with the charger at all).
Hell yes! Dave's got numbers sheet my from most recent dyno run posted in the rebuild section of his site. It's about 8000km since the rebuild and in third I pulled 13.2psi @ 2516RPM and 18.1psi @ 5899RPM.
No, I chose a 65mm pulley which meant it came without warrantly. Dave made a point of explaining to me that the pulley invalidated any warranty's on the charger at the time and required I give him acknowledgment of that fact before proceeding. As a result of that info and the fact it was my choice, I had no problems with the lack of warranty.
Overall Rating:

Modified by mithril at 11:58 AM 2-11-2004

#42 ·

Kompressor Kanada
1.5weeks
Rebuild, stage4 G-ladder
pulley side case was dead apex strips where dead.
Customer Satisfaction:
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of
materials/workmanship?
a little more attention with the finish would have been nice with some things.
Very happy
yes
came with 3months warranty

Overall Rating:
8 out of 10 im very happy i chose them. i`ll have dyno results soon.
9 out of 10

Modified by LagunaSecaBlueMK3 at 1:59 AM 3-3-2004

#43 ·

Rebuild Services:

KK
4 Business Days. Shipped from Florida on thursday, received on tuesday.
Rebuild + Stage 4 + Paint
Not that I was told
Customer Satisfaction:

Considering what I sent out compared to what I received, yes extremely happy
Extremely happy with turnaround time especially
Just installed it this morning, will see
N/A
Overall Rating:

#45 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (JBETZ)

Quote, originally posted by JBETZ »
Any BBM customers past, present or new that would like their chargers checked out, upgraded or serviced give us a call. Warranties intact or not. If you have an oil leak out of warranty or think maybe your strips could be thin. If your in warranty, obviously as allways we will do our very best to give you the best quality g-lader services on the planet. Get hooked up with deep discounts for this limited time VWVortex Spring Special.
Thanks again for your support and patronage!

Ive ALWAYS been taken care of by John. Charger built 3 years ago and he was always willnig to service it and help me out http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Same deal with the Lysholm GREAT service!!!

#46 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (TwinScrew20v)

I had my blower serviced by bahn brenner about a year ago among many other upgrades in the past. I consider myself one of the select few people that gets a chance to see how bahn brenner operates in and out of the shop. when i first met john at bbm he took the time out of his busy schedule to show me the possible upgrades that i could do to my corrado, then afterwards took me for a ride in his corrado. This to me showed that this is a group of guys who go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that there customers are satisfied and in the time that ive known them i have seen nothing but that. i find it very odd that somebody would have a problem with bbm due to the commitment and passion that these guys share for there customers and there products. Kudos to John and the rest of the BBM crew for making sure that all my performance needs are taken care of. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#47 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (R@zzy)

If I had stayed with my g-lader that I had rebuilt and installed by BBM I would've definetly kept my business with them. An all-around great group of guys who do stuff for their customers you never see from a lot of your local tuners or general business ventures in general.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif from me

#48 ·

Rebuild Services:
Customer Satisfaction:
BBM
YES
Didn't make it that far, took it apart and it was shot
Overall Rating:
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service
What i must say is BBM was very cool about what i wanted/could get done at the time and very cool about helping me out in everyway. Thanks guys

Clayton

#49 ·
Re: The G60 Rebuilder Rating Thread (sn1puns)

Kompressor Kanada
4 business days there, 3-4 days back
full rebuild, stage 4 porting, bright silver paint
yup
needed a displacer repair, and a had a crack in intake casing, dave hooked me up with a matched casing for a good price http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Customer Satisfaction:
Yes, A++
YES, very much.. we kept in contact throughout the shipping, he called me at work as soon as the charger arrived and he opened it up..
oh yeah... i love bizzzoost
6 month unlimited mile warranty.. no need to return..
Overall Rating:
to KK
let me just say this one thing, KK, BBM, ORZ.. all good companies.. do your research, talk to Dave, John or Oliver.. and decide for yourself..

Modified by compleckz at 9:03 PM 4-4-2004

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.