1) Who did you send your charger to for a rebuild?
Bahn Brenner Motorsports
2) What was the turnaround time? i.e., how many days from when you sent it out did you get it back?
10 days (3 days at BBM) (not bad considering I'm in hawaii 3 days both ways).
3) What rebuild services did you have performed? Standard rebuild, performance options, paint, etc.
Full O.E. Spec rebuild, RSR outlet silver paint job.
4) Were any repairs needed at the time of rebuild, such as apex strip groove repairs?
None at the time
1) In General, are you happy with the quality of materials/workmanship?
Yes, I am very impressed. The charger looks brand new. No oil leaks, great packaging.
2) Are you happy with the rebuilder's customer service?
Very happy. As busy as John is he took the time to email me before I even sent my charger in and help me with other problems that my car was having. John called me to let me know when my charger got in and talked to me about possible options that I could get from them. Everything from performance upgrades to just a rebuild. In fact after discussing with John my plans for the Rado he even recommended against me doing some upgrades because they weren't needed. How many business owners would discourage their customers from spending more money? Also while re-installing my charger I broke one of the banjo bolts and John offered to send me one free of charge. How much more can you ask for?
3) Was there an improvement in charger performance (i.e. boost level) as a result of the rebuild, or as a result of the performance upgrades?
Due to the broken Banjo this will have to be updated later, but I can't wait to see.
4) Did the rebuild come with a warranty? If so, have you had to return the charger for warranty work? If not, why not?
If I had opted for the stock pulley John would have given me a 6 month warranty with the OE build, if I had gone the OEM rebuild it would have been a 1 year warranty. I chose to stick with my 68mm neuspeed pulley besides I have faith in BBM's work.
1) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of work.
2) On a scale of 1 to 10, rate the quality of customer service.
On a side note, while I know that many people on these forums have their personal favorite tuners, myself included. What really impressed me about John & Co was the fact that even before I was a customer, John took the time to email me back about some questions that I had about my car. I am a first time Rado owner, owned lots of Honda's in the past. Have done a bunch of engine swaps and the like with them but knew nothing about VW's. John answered all my questions on a daily basis for about a week before I even told him that I was planning on sending my charger in to him. Then when I did send it in John never pushed for me to get anything that I didn't want done to the charger. Most local shops try so hard to sell you the full race package and John was quite the opposite. He made me feel like I was a friend rather than a customer. To me this is more important than any amount that I could have saved by sending it anywhere else that might have been slightly cheaper. IMHO if they take care of customers like that, then I can only imagine how well they take care of my parts.
Modified by seiji654 at 7:45 PM 3-2-2006