VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Generation Volvo XC60 Spotted Testing

Vehicles
      Lexus
      10-06-2016 01:53 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      As far as killing cargo space goes, does it really?
      You're correct, for most instances it won't make a difference and for the majority of people the sloped back will be be fine.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      10-06-2016 03:24 PM #27
      This was the only time that the sloping cargo area of my Outback really affected me. The 8th chair had to be unboxed.

Vehicles
      VWs & Audis
      10-06-2016 05:05 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by TigerinColorado View Post
      X2
      Dave

4. Member
      10-06-2016 07:09 PM #29
      I didn't have a problem with the sloping roof of a HR-V either:

(and that's how you are supposed to do test drives)

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      10-07-2016 02:31 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      When I had my Mazda6s I did it frequently enough. And as pointed out, it's much better for hauling dogs.
      Doesn't look like this XC60 - or the current one - has enough slope to seriously eat into headroom for a dog or two.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 doors View Post
      x2. I'd probably do it twice a year in my 6 wagon - Christmas time trip to the in-laws and summer beach vacation. With 2 kids in the back seat and skis or bikes on the roof, I'd be filling every cubic millimeter of the hatch with stuff. I wished the glass would open so I could have the lower part closed to pack more stuff in there! I'd just have to hope it would stay in place long enough for me to slam the hatch closed.
      I hate putting bikes on the roof, even in a car - I've thrown out my back pretty bad doing that - so my solution in similar situations is a roof box and a hitch-mounted bike rack.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      10-09-2016 01:04 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      After we test drove the new XC90, getting into the XC60 and V60/Cross Country was like stepping back in time 10 years with that center console layout. My wife was all, "this car has a number pad, is it 1990?"

I can't wait for the new XC and V 60s.
      Your wife sounds annoying
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      10-09-2016 01:12 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      You sound annoying.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      And now for something completley different...A Scotsman on a horse.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      10-09-2016 09:48 AM #33
      Because she pointed out that the XC60 looks ancient compared to the XC90? Yea, I know right? It's amazing to think that I've put up with such obnoxiousness for 19 years.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      10-09-2016 01:16 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      10-09-2016 03:28 PM #35
      Because she pointed out that the XC60 looks ancient compared to the XC90? Yea, I know right? It's amazing to think that I've put up with such obnoxiousness for 19 years.

I was going to send you a PM but, I am sorry, crappy thing to say, bad judgement on my part..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

10-09-2016 10:54 PM #36

The number pad is awesome, way easier and faster to use than the touch Sensus in the SPA platform.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      10-10-2016 12:12 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      The number pad is awesome, way easier and faster to use than the touch Sensus in the SPA platform.
      Yea, it seems like a terrific idea while driving.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      10-10-2016 12:14 AM #38
      I was going to send you a PM but, I am sorry, crappy thing to say, bad judgement on my part..
      Thanks, apology accepted.

10-10-2016 12:28 AM #39
      Yea, it seems like a terrific idea while driving.
      YOLO
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70

Vehicles
      2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited
      11-17-2016 02:58 PM #40
      I don't care for the number pad style of interaction on outgoing Volvo models, but I like touchscreens even less and I'm really disappointed with Volvo's move to full touch screen. It'll probably - unfortunately - disqualify the XC60 for me when I look to replace my current car next year. I'm a big fan of the BMW iDrive and similar systems with the hockey puck, dial, mouse, what-have-you type user input that keeps you in your driving position and less distraction from the road.

That said, I'm still really anxious to see the reveal of the new XC60. The sketch on page 1 looks really great.

And regarding sloped cargo area, I'm not a huge fan of it but it's true I don't often need to fill it to capacity - but I have to agree 100% with the dog situation - it really limits their space and ability to look out of side windows which are sometimes severely reduced thanks to sloped hatches.
      Present: 2014 Subaru Crosstek Limited (Desert Khaki)

Past: 2006 Mazda3 hatchback | 1998 GTI VR6 | 2000 Jetta GLS 2.0 | 1993 Nissan Stanza | 1992 Honda Prelude Si | 1990 Honda Accord LX Coupe

Vehicles
      '14 IS350 F Sport, '15 Moto Guzzi V7
      11-17-2016 03:20 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
      I don't care for the number pad style of interaction on outgoing Volvo models, but I like touchscreens even less and I'm really disappointed with Volvo's move to full touch screen. It'll probably - unfortunately - disqualify the XC60 for me when I look to replace my current car next year. I'm a big fan of the BMW iDrive and similar systems with the hockey puck, dial, mouse, what-have-you type user input that keeps you in your driving position and less distraction from the road.

That said, I'm still really anxious to see the reveal of the new XC60. The sketch on page 1 looks really great.

And regarding sloped cargo area, I'm not a huge fan of it but it's true I don't often need to fill it to capacity - but I have to agree 100% with the dog situation - it really limits their space and ability to look out of side windows which are sometimes severely reduced thanks to sloped hatches.
      I agree! Everyone poops on Lexus' mouse controler but I think they're way less distracting to use and can be put in a more natural place than reaching out to touch the screen.

17. Member
      11-17-2016 04:23 PM #42
      You can do a lot of the functions in Sensus from the steering wheel buttons or using voice command button. I wish there was an easier way to bring up the cameras though, so far the only way I've found to get them to come up without going into reverse is to use the touchscreen.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

Vehicles
      Lexus
      11-28-2016 08:14 PM #43
      Design Chief Promises 2018 Volvo XC60 Interior Will Take Another Step Forward

http://blog.caranddriver.com/design-...-step-forward/

Quote Originally Posted by Car and Driver Blog
      When a designer tells us a new interior is coming, usually we just nod. When that designer is Thomas Ingenlath, the designer who determines what “Volvo” means to our eyeballs, our ears stand up like those of an elkhound that just heard the word “walk.” Ingenlath is the chief emotion stirrer behind the XC90 and S90, and the striking interiors of those Volvos are only the most recent credits on his impressive résumé.

We’re seated in a glass pod 20 feet above the Los Angeles auto show’s South Hall, in a hyper-Scandinavian expression of a modern show stand. Downstairs, a massive screen displays images of a frigid sea, cloudy skies time-lapsing to clear and back. You can see those blues and grays translated to colors on Volvo’s display cars. Further images of vast forests seem to connect with the abundance of warm wood used in the exhibit and in the cars themselves.

While I’m listening to Ingenlath, occasionally my eyes dart around the room. The floor is wood, with contrasting circle inserts in the planks. Plates and a carafe of coffee rest on a textured wood table, with lines and protruding square shapes that give the wooden table stand a 3D matrix effect. Just behind that is a wall made of vertically slanted wood. Something Ingenlath will say in just a few moments will make all of these details distinctly important.

We’re already anticipating many details about Volvo’s new mid-size SUV, which we’ve spied in testing. To be built on a downsized version of the same Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) that underpins the XC90, the 2018 XC60 will be powered by Volvo’s latest 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines, the turbocharged T5 and the turbo- and supercharged T6. The T8 Twin Engine plug-in hybrid is also likely, and a pure-electric version could arrive a couple of years after launch. Exterior design will evolve the XC60’s current aesthetic and incorporate cues such as Thor’s Hammer headlight flourishes and LED taillights.

Where things get really interesting is interior design, a field where Volvo is particularly excelling of late. While the industry has heaped praise on Volvo for the concept-car-like interiors of the current production versions of the XC90 SUV (photo below) and S90 sedan, the Swedish automaker is wary of resting on its successes.

“We’ve had some momentum, and that really allows us to be playful. We can now say, ‘Okay, let’s push this a step further,’ ” Ingenlath said. “I know a lot of the industry is watching us, and they’re looking at our stuff, especially the interiors, and here we can show them we have one more trick in our basket and play with it, not just repeat ourselves. The XC60 will be the next evolution of our interior, and we’ll be presenting that next year.”

What might this evolution look like? First, Ingenlath confirms that Volvo’s Sensus Connected Touch infotainment system will come down from the 90-series cars but will be tweaked. “We won’t have smaller screens—it will be this great delightful screen that we have now. Our system in the XC60 will reflect the next evolution, and this won’t stay in the 60, it will come to all of our lineup.”

For those just getting used to Volvo’s new system, fear not. “It will not be like suddenly everything is different, but it will be a clear step.” Ingenlath said future Volvos, to include the S60 and V60 sedan and wagon, will also incorporate the ability to update the software in order to continuously refine the use and ease of the system during the term of ownership. “We’re not going to be like Apple, issuing updates every three months, but you will be able to update how you interact with the car. We’ll keep pushing the interfaces further to get closer to the imaginary state of perfection. We want to make it as delightful as possible, as easy as possible, while still keeping the brand flair.”

Another area that could differ from the current XC60? “What we’re definitely exploring is our wood history. Now, we have a very, very natural expression of wood, which we of course want to keep. But I’m very convinced that even in a very young and more avant-garde interior, you can have very interesting wood expression in there.”

“Do we always have to have leather in a luxurious car? That definitely is a big question for us.” – Thomas Ingenlath, Volvo design chief

While premium and luxury brands employ wood to warm a cabin’s interior, the options usually consist of colors or finishes. Two exceptions are Bentley and Rolls-Royce, both of which have a rich heritage of fine woodwork. Those cars also cost a quarter of a million dollars and up on average. If the woodwork on Volvo’s show stand is an indicator, the prospect of seeing something fresh—and in a five-digit price range—is intriguing. Ingenlath said the team is also exploring modern textiles and materials. “Do we always have to have leather in a luxurious car? That definitely is a big question for us. We’d love to convince the customers that there is an alternative car interior beyond leather.”

Ingenlath contends that it wouldn’t be a new faux leather, either. “We’re not trying to pretend. It wouldn’t be a pretend leather. We want to look at different fabrics. But there’s definitely a real challenge to convince customers’ perceptions.” The Gothenburg-based designer said he had a similar challenge when he first came to the United States to show off the matte wood in what was then the future XC90. Despite initial reluctance and pushback, he said that it is now accepted and has been a huge success. Asked when we might specifically see this evolution of Volvo’s interior design language, the answer was clear: “March.” So look for the 2018 XC60 to make its debut at the 2017 Geneva auto show.

11-28-2016 09:09 PM #44
      Dammit I love Volvo

No fake leather like zee Germans! Never seen the vinyl in the base XC90 T5, would be too disappointed as the Agnes leather is thick and quality.
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70

Vehicles
      '01 SE Miata, '07 Polestar XC70
      11-28-2016 09:37 PM #45
      Dammit I love Volvo

No fake leather like zee Germans! Never seen the vinyl in the base XC90 T5, would be too disappointed as the Agnes leather is thick and quality.
      Which is why I keep coming back to the brand. You would think that if BMW was going to use a faux leather, they'd find one that was nicer than the stuff they're currently using.

Vehicles
      Lexus
      11-28-2016 09:52 PM #46
      There are a couple of things I would like to see.

A dark red leather color option, a complete full map display in front of the driver like Audi has it and a few more buttons for often used things.

I would like to see them get rid of the shiny black plastic around the SENSUS screen and on the steering wheel buttons.

11-28-2016 10:00 PM #47
      I could put my Trump sticker without fear of keying.
      Not in Chicago
      I'm a 1 percenter, who actually uses turn signals over 99% of the time for lane changes and turns too, even on my motorcycle

11-28-2016 10:05 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by A_GaSpAr View Post
      I didn't have a problem with the sloping roof of a HR-V either:

(and that's how you are supposed to do test drives)

If the sloping roof is a problem get the vehicle it's based on with no sloping roof:
      I'm a 1 percenter, who actually uses turn signals over 99% of the time for lane changes and turns too, even on my motorcycle

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      11-29-2016 05:19 AM #49
      Dammit I love Volvo

I'd rather they've invested in researching materials that don't require killing animals.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      And now for something completley different...A Scotsman on a horse.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      11-29-2016 11:15 AM #50
      Lots of nice tidbits in that C/D article. I'm very intrigued with the comments about non-leather interior... They have been playing around with interesting textiles in recent concepts:

Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast