Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 09G 00268 N93 and limp mode

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1998, 99, 2000, 2003 (convertible) Beetles
      10-16-2016 03:51 PM #1
      I am at my wit's end with this. This is New Beetle #5 for me. It is an 07 Triple White convertible with the 09G transmission. I got it for relatively short money, with some issues. Needed a battery and alternator, and throwing codes 00268 for the N93 solenoid and 01045 for the Tiptronic switch. Put in a new battery and an aftermarket alternator. Also picked up a used Tiptronic board for the shifter, and that took care of the 01045. No, it wasn't the magnets. Now for the 00268, which I can clear but keeps coming back. I put in 2 different aftermarket solenoids. Code comes back. I tried 2 TCMTCUs (same exact moded), code comes back. I checked and cleaned every ground. I check all of the wiring. Everything checks out as it should. Back to alternator for a moment. So I noticed that after I installed the new alternator, the battery would drain after a few days. If i used a screwdriver as a stethoscope and touch the alternator, i can hear the alternator humming with the car off. It's drawing about .4 amps with the care off. So I have sent out my original alternator to be rebuilt at a local trusted shop.

I have seen at least one or two posts with the same issue (battery draining and 00268), but no solution posted! Any thoughts at all out there? I would gladly throw in a rebuilt throttle body from Reamann if I thought that would fix it. I do not have VAG COM (I've been able to get by without it through 4 other Beetle on which I have done tons of work, as this forum has always had the answer). Do you think it might be the ECM/ECU?

I do have ODBeleven. Here's the outoput.

Fault code: 00268 (268)
      Staus: static
      Measurements: 1.2 v.OT
      Frequency Counter: 3
      Mileage 226477 km
      Driving cycle: 0
      Priority: 2

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      1998, 99, 2000, 2003 (convertible) Beetles
      04-12-2017 08:16 PM #2
      Bump! And updated info. Still working this issue now that it is warmer out. Tried something new...I unplugged the 6/8 wire plug on the tranny and I could actually drive the thing. The 00268 code went away and it didn't go into limp mode. It shifted like crap, but was drivable. I plugged it back in and back to the same old. I did pick up VCDS over the winter, but that didn't help yet. Any thoughts whatsoever out there?

3. 04-20-2017 01:43 AM #3
      Check alternator slip ring condition... especially if a reman. Also check for parasitic drain.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
      2007 Jetta BGQ 6-speed Tip-tronic

For advertising information click HERE