VWVortex.com - Burn the bridge or risk getting the shaft?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Burn the bridge or risk getting the shaft?

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      10-20-2016 09:09 AM #1
      Need some input on a situation at work. My employer is laying off massive amounts of people due to some financial difficulties. Those getting the boot are allegedly not getting their accrued PTO. We are in an at will state and this is a non union job, so they can pretty much terminate you for whatever. The way our employee agreement is worded they don't have to pay us PTO when terminated. PTO will be paid upon proper two week resignation, per the handbook.

I've been offered a job that starts in about 45 days. Right now I'm in great standing with the company and have about a week of PTO saved up. My concern is given the recent layoffs it is quite possible when I give my two weeks they just kick me to the curb. From what I understand at that point they still have to pay me my PTO since I gave proper notice, but they don't have to continue paying my final two weeks if they let me go.

I'm conflicting on what to do here. On one hand I love most of the folks I work with, have an excellent track record with this company, am the highest rated person in my position within our dept, and don't want to be "that guy" giving them hardly any notice that I'm leaving. On the other hand I need to protect myself and my family financially. Although I could afford to have no pay for a couple weeks I'd rather not have to be in that situation. It has been suggested by many that due to the volatile nature of what is going on with the company that I burn through my PTO over the next few weeks then give a two day resignation notice. This goes against everything I believe, but feel like I have to suck it up and go that route so I don't get screwed.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?
      Signature.

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      10-25-2016 11:15 AM #2
      So, assuming you'd wait to give notice until the two week mark...you'd basically be out a week's pay in the worst case scenario (term you immediately but pay your PTO)--assuming they follow their own policy?

I'd always advocate for giving full two weeks notice. The other thing to consider is your professional reputation. Unless someone has something drastic occur in their life, or--as you put it--wants to burn a bridge, I would never advise giving less than the standard notice period. You don't want to be the guy who walks into an interview for a future job only to see the guy you burned sitting across the table.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      10-25-2016 11:29 AM #3
      Yes I would be out one week assuming they follow their own policy...which I'm of the belief they aren't doing based on what I'm hearing with all the layoffs and terminations going on at this point. This is my second go around with this company and up until the last six months fully believed they did the right thing for their employees when it came time for layoffs, resignations, etc. However, with the events that have taken place over the past six months I've been shown a completely different side from those above my bosses.

I'm still very much conflicted here. Feel my drive to do the right thing may truly bite me in the ass this time around.
      Signature.

Vehicles
      Bought not built.
      11-14-2016 07:12 PM #4
      So I put my two weeks notice in today. My direct manager really didn't ask me much or say anything. Another manager I am closer to was pissed to see me go but understood my motives. My direct manager also apparently met with my team today to give them the heads up...without any sort of involvement from me. Granted I am a remote employee but this whole thing is very odd at this point.
      Signature.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      15' GTI
      03-20-2017 09:15 PM #5
      Don't worry about it man. Greener pastures are in your future. Finish your time there and move on to the new job!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

For advertising information click HERE