VWVortex.com - 2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas three-row midsize SUV finally unveiled - Will be built in Tennessee, riding on the MQB platform

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      10-28-2016 10:25 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      It looks like the intake runners are about 12 inches below the hood. They could have made a small frunk up there for diaper bags; no cold diapers for baby!

Seriously though, this appears to showcase how MQB works: the engine mounts to fixed points that are shared with other vehicles, and the body wraps around that. It looks like a huge body was put on top of a midsize car frame. Well, not a frame, but you know what I mean. It reminds me of those inflatable Halloween costumes: it looks big but there's actually a much smaller person underneath.

Just to clarify: I'm not criticizing the low engine, it's just interesting to see. I agree with what someone else said - the low placement may help with handling.

Overall I'm blown away at not being blown away by this new model. And I mean that in a positive way. I think VW has made some smart decisions with the Atlas, starting with the name. It appears on paper to competitive and it might even out-Explorer the Explorer if the interior is as large as it looks in photos. I think the Atlas will have a lot of presence in person vs photos. I think they could have gone down a strange path and they didn't. The Atlas isn't mind blowing, but it absolutely shouldn't be.

But I gotta say I can't help but think of the NMS Passat here. Could this model come out strong against the Pilot and Explorer only to get blown into the weeds when those models are updated. Time will tell.

2. 10-29-2016 12:25 AM #102
      Just to clarify: I'm not criticizing the low engine, it's just interesting to see. I agree with what someone else said - the low placement may help with handling.
      Dunno, is a plastic engine cover so hard to engineer and manufacture?

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      10-29-2016 02:39 AM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      Wait. This Mid-Size SUV rides on the same platform as the Golf?

And the new A4 is on the same platform as the Bentley Bentayga.

4. 10-29-2016 07:59 AM #104
      Terrible!

It looks dull in the press shots with an oddball color... so when it starts showing up in droves on the road in various shades of grey, it is going to be one of the most boring and non-descript SUVs on the road. That thing makes Toyota and Honda styling look cutting edge.

If it had anything other than a VW badge on the hood, it would be shredded on here.

What is it with VW and complete milquetoast in the last few years? They used to make interesting vehicles in every segment they sold to. Now with the current Jetta, Passat, and this thing they seem to aiming for the fattest and blandest looking vehicles on the road.
      Last edited by Pveezy87; 10-29-2016 at 08:04 AM.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '11 TSX Sport Wagon, '10 CX-9
      10-29-2016 08:00 AM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      This one has the CEL package.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda 3 GT 6-speed
      10-29-2016 08:59 AM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Do you know how many owners ever pop their hood? If I didn't have to jump my neighbor a few weeks ago I'd be going on years without popping a hood. Nobody cares what it looks like.
      It matters for the many people who purchase SUVs in this class and keep them after the warranty ends. Difficult to service = expensive to service.

Volkswagen is not going to pull any buyers away from Honda or Toyota with this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Member
      10-29-2016 09:17 AM #107

But I gotta say I can't help but think of the NMS Passat here. Could this model come out strong against the Pilot and Explorer only to get blown into the weeds when those models are updated. Time will tell.
      VW can't afford to do the same mistakes that they did with the NCS Jetta and NMS Passat. They have to update the Atlas in 3 years or the competition will eat them alive. Doesn't matter how good or bad the Atlas is, if they don´t keep up with the market, we will see sales dropping again.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with the Passat was the 2.5 engine, which was way slower and thirstier than the 4 cylinders offered by the competition. VW took 3 years to replace it, without any changes to the looks or interior of the car. That was just stupid. At least the Atlas will debut with decent engine choices.....

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      10-29-2016 09:47 AM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by A_GaSpAr View Post
      ...IMO, one of the biggest problems with the Passat was the 2.5 engine, which was way slower and thirstier than the 4 cylinders offered by the competition. VW took 3 years to replace it, without any changes to the looks or interior of the car. That was just stupid. At least the Atlas will debut with decent engine choices.....
      You bring up one of my biggest pet peeves with VW: their "timing" of engines, redesigns, and refreshes. I put timing in quotes because they don't seem to have any. They come out with an all-new car with sub-par engines, then change the engines mid-cycle, but don't update the styling. How does the average buyer know any changes have been made? Then a year or 3 later, they give the model and update, but people have already written off the car. I can't think of any manufacturer who operates this way as consistently as VW does. If another manufacturer has new engines in the works, they tie release to all-new models schedules or they time refreshes so they can market an all-new product. VW squanders these opportunities every time they do this. But I'm getting off-topic.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      10-29-2016 09:52 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by A_GaSpAr View Post
      VW can't afford to do the same mistakes that they did with the NCS Jetta and NMS Passat. They have to update the Atlas in 3 years or the competition will eat them alive. Doesn't matter how good or bad the Atlas is, if they don´t keep up with the market, we will see sales dropping again.

IMO, one of the biggest problems with the Passat was the 2.5 engine, which was way slower and thirstier than the 4 cylinders offered by the competition. VW took 3 years to replace it, without any changes to the looks or interior of the car. That was just stupid. At least the Atlas will debut with decent engine choices.....
      To add to this statement, the Atlas is on MQB. Because it's modular, it should they should be able to update the parts that matter to buyers without needing to re-engineer, unlike the Jetta and Passat updates which were so small no one can honestly see a difference. But I recall this being one of the benefits of going MQB when they first announced it. This is, of course, optimistic. VW would have to need to make the effort, but I think the Atlas is a step in the right direction. And if it doesn't catch on, when it's time to update it, put a new body over top, or plug a new engine in. It's already big enough to be competitive, if it's not the biggest in the segment.
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium, 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

Vehicles
      Mk6 GolfR, Q7 4.2, G60 Corrado, 5.0 Fox, '55 Roadmaster, R52 JCW
      10-29-2016 11:51 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by Pveezy87 View Post
      It looks dull in the press shots with an oddball color... so when it starts showing up in droves on the road in various shades of grey, it is going to be one of the most boring and non-descript SUVs on the road. That thing makes Toyota and Honda styling look cutting edge.
      Well, that just means it will sell well.

Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI, 2004 VW Passat 1.8T
      10-29-2016 01:01 PM #111
      It seems the low positioning of the engine will make basic servicing difficult.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      10-29-2016 01:18 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      And the new A4 is on the same platform as the Bentley Bentayga.
      MQB is getting out of hand.
      '89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

13. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI Autobahn, 2007 Mini Cooper S
      10-29-2016 02:32 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
      MQB is getting out of hand.
      They're on the more expensive MLB 2 platform.

Vehicles
      2016 Audi TTS; 2016 VW GTI w/PP
      10-29-2016 02:44 PM #114
      Terrible!

If it had anything other than a VW badge on the hood, it would be shredded on here.

What is it with VW and complete milquetoast in the last few years? They used to make interesting vehicles in every segment they sold to. Now with the current Jetta, Passat, and this thing they seem to aiming for the fattest and blandest looking vehicles on the road.
      Right, VW should abandon something that will sell "in droves" so they can placate some dolt on TCL who will never buy one regardless..

VW tried the non-milquetoast route, and that didn't work either. The US market doesn't give a **** as long as it's cheap, big and has a DVD player in the back

Vehicles
      2015 GLI SE, 2015 GLI SEL, 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      10-29-2016 09:25 PM #115
      So does the US get the new Tiguan 3 row or did that become the Atlas???

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta 2.5, 2015 Mazda3
      10-29-2016 09:32 PM #116
      The thing looks good and im sure itll sell in the numbers they are expecting. A lot of you are bitching about it just to bitch about a VW.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf GTI Autobahn (manual)
      10-29-2016 10:22 PM #117
      @Ttone74 my understanding is that the 2018 Tiguan will come with a choice of 2-row or 3-row. The difference between the latter and the Atlas is that, while the Tiguan 3-row will give you a choice between passengers or trunk space, but not both, the Atlas' size ensures there will be significantly less compromise.
      Past: 2013 Beetle Turbo Convertible, 2012 CC R-Line (manual), 2003 Golf GL 2.0L 2-Door (manual)

18. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      10-29-2016 11:35 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      So does the US get the new Tiguan 3 row or did that become the Atlas???
      There's the Atlas, a new larger Tiguan and at least one smaller CUV. Whether that winds up being the short wheelbase Tiguan, a smaller CUV or both I don't know. With those, a new MQB Jetta and Passat VW's lineup will be pretty modern and complete...

Then they'll just need to keep it there. With MQB they should be able to, but with VW it seems a difficult task.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      2013 Jetta 2.5, 2015 Mazda3
      10-29-2016 11:56 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      There's the Atlas, a new larger Tiguan and at least one smaller CUV. Whether that winds up being the short wheelbase Tiguan, a smaller CUV or both I don't know. With those, a new MQB Jetta and Passat VW's lineup will be pretty modern and complete...

Then they'll just need to keep it there. With MQB they should be able to, but with VW it seems a difficult task.
      Still no peep of the MK7/MQB Jetta. Unless its that chinese thing somebody posted a few months ago....basically a mini CC.

20. 10-30-2016 07:14 AM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      Right, VW should abandon something that will sell "in droves" so they can placate some dolt on TCL who will never buy one regardless..

VW tried the non-milquetoast route, and that didn't work either. The US market doesn't give a **** as long as it's cheap, big and has a DVD player in the back
      Fine and dandy but at that point there is no reason to buy one over a cheaper more reliable, lower maintenance Toyota or Honda.

If you are going to buy a boring appliance you might as well buy a boring appliance known for reliability (which is what people do).

It is ironic that nowadays if you want a "Euro" sedan you have to go to a Ford or Buick dealer, not VW.
      Last edited by Pveezy87; 10-30-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Vehicles
      2015 GLI SE, 2015 GLI SEL, 2015 Audi A4 Sline
      10-30-2016 08:26 AM #121
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post

See I think it would be redundant to have a 3 row Tiguan MQB and a Atlas. They even look the same??

22. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      10-30-2016 08:31 AM #122
      F
      It is ironic that nowadays if you want a "Euro" sedan you have to go to a Ford or Buick dealer, not VW.
      Which is why VW has struggled (among other things) - traditionally American mfgs have out-Europeaned the Europeans.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      10-30-2016 08:57 AM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Ttone74 View Post
      See I think it would be redundant to have a 3 row Tiguan MQB and a Atlas. They even look the same??
      Tiguan is Rav-4 sized. Its 3rd row will be similar to the Rouge's 3rd row. It will not be as usable as the Atlas. Also, it's optional and not standard at last reported. Think of it being no different than Nissan having a Rouge and Pathfinder in the same lineup. No one is going to be confused about which vehicle they want.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
      ||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      10-30-2016 09:10 AM #124
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Which is why VW has struggled (among other things) - traditionally American mfgs have out-Europeaned the Europeans.
      But is the Euro thing really a selling point for Fords and Buicks? I'd assume most people who walk into a dealership to buy a new car aren't buying it because it's European-centric. And I don't believe that people haven't brought VWs because they're more Americans. They didn't buy them when they were more German either.

Someone made the statement that if you want a boring crossover you'd just buy the Toyota or Honda offerings. But normal car buyers aren't that rational. I have a cousin who lusted after a Traverse because she thought it was cute and big. She ended up trading her early 2000s Explorer for a Chevy Equinox instead.

I think people who like the styling and features will buy it regardless of the most rational choice. The Pathfinder sells and that thing is probably at the bottom of the segment.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
      ||||||||||||||

25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      10-30-2016 09:28 AM #125
      For some reason when I first saw it, I thought Trailblazer SS.

VW designers do have a difficult job- try and make something look all new but within the constraints of what seems to be a very limited VW design pallet.
      It looks clean yet unexciting.
      As has been said many times before - exciting styling is one way to attract customers into dealers.
      Maybe the Atlas looks very good in person due to paint quality and general proportions?
      Will be interesting to see what these look like in normal lease spec (smaller wheels/ lower trim).
      This Atlas at least seems to have some interesting detailing... you really shouldn't design your vehicles to NEED the upper trim wheel/features to look good.
      I know that's an old up-sale tactic for dealers, but people see these vehicles on the road and it affects their image.
      The Passat was a perfect example- the "media fleet" models looked like this:

But then the ones people bought looked like this:

Without the better wheels/lights/trim it completely lost any resemblance to "all new" and "special".
      Last edited by BRealistic; 10-30-2016 at 09:41 AM.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast