Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: AWD System Haldex or Torsen

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      10-28-2016 01:22 PM #1
      Anybody heard if the AWD model is Haldex or Torsen?

Vehicles
      '16 Durango
      10-28-2016 02:32 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      Anybody heard if the AWD model is Haldex or Torsen?

It's MQB platform which is transverse engine which means Haldex.
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      11-03-2016 12:23 AM #3
      Audi's new Quattro Ultra ditches the Torsen center differential for a setup like the Haldex 5. Like the Haldex 5, it can decouple the rear axle, so it can run as a FWD for conditions that can maximize fuel economy... this is in longitudinal engines.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...he-future-5505
      Last edited by BsickPassat; 11-03-2016 at 12:27 AM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Morimoto 5500K D3S bulbs/Hella XY 9006 bulbs... keeping the mods light on this one...

Vehicles
      '00 VW Golf 2.0T, '09 A3 S-Line Quattro
      03-20-2017 07:42 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by BsickPassat View Post
      Audi's new Quattro Ultra ditches the Torsen center differential for a setup like the Haldex 5. Like the Haldex 5, it can decouple the rear axle, so it can run as a FWD for conditions that can maximize fuel economy... this is in longitudinal engines.

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...he-future-5505
      I don't think this technology is being applied to the Atlas. Its engine is transversely mounted; the extent of the AWD is the Haldex 5 but not what is described as Ultra Tech.
      The con to having an AWD setup like this, is that it is limited to how much of tow load it can handle. A torsen setup is much more robust which can handle at least 6,600 lbs.

Ideally, this truck should have come with the new V6 turbo motor with a true Quattro setup (torsen).
      The R36 motor is ancient and old technology, and because of it's short falls to efficiency, VAG decided to use the Haldex system instead, to make-up for its lack of fuel efficiency.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rod Ratio
      ...Just let it simmer. The boys will crawl all over it like fire ants.
      SEM Motorsports
      Unitronic Chipped
      DoTuning

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 BMW X5
      03-20-2017 12:13 PM #5
      Interesting post.

So although we have a tried and true VR6 engine (been around for ages) - completely understand it may not be as efficient as some of the other motors out there. Great to see it paired with the 8 speed transmission though. And so to also combat some of the perceived inefficiency of the motor, VW has opted to go with the Haldex AWD system which will operate predominantly in FWD unless until less than ideal traction in which case the rear wheels will be engaged.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 01:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by jkopelc View Post
      Interesting post.

So although we have a tried and true VR6 engine (been around for ages) - completely understand it may not be as efficient as some of the other motors out there. Great to see it paired with the 8 speed transmission though. And so to also combat some of the perceived inefficiency of the motor, VW has opted to go with the Haldex AWD system which will operate predominantly in FWD unless until less than ideal traction in which case the rear wheels will be engaged.
      Correct
      SEM Motorsports
      Unitronic Chipped
      DoTuning

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-21-2017 10:30 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Don® View Post
      I don't think this technology is being applied to the Atlas. Its engine is transversely mounted; the extent of the AWD is the Haldex 5 but not what is described as Ultra Tech.
      The con to having an AWD setup like this, is that it is limited to how much of tow load it can handle. A torsen setup is much more robust which can handle at least 6,600 lbs.

Ideally, this truck should have come with the new V6 turbo motor with a true Quattro setup (torsen).
      The R36 motor is ancient and old technology, and because of it's short falls to efficiency, VAG decided to use the Haldex system instead, to make-up for its lack of fuel efficiency.
      Ultra tech works similar to haldex 5, both have a decoupler for the rear axle to operate in FWD mode. But haldex 5 can only go up to 50:50 bias. Quattro ultra can send up to about 70% to the rear.

Also, we don't get the 300 hp R36 motor. That motor has less torque than the US 3.6L VR6 so it can use a DSG gearbox back then. We get less HP but more torque.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      APR Stage 1/Morimoto 5500K D3S bulbs/Hella XY 9006 bulbs... keeping the mods light on this one...

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 BMW X5
      03-21-2017 04:18 PM #8
      Can any of the more technical previous posters comment on performance of the AWD system? (Have we seen this engine with other 4Motion systems? Alltrack, Tiguan etc? or do they have a different engine and/or different torsten or haldex system).

I guess what I am trying to get at is how will the AWD system perform and is it comparable to anything else VW has or Audi has? We have seen some media test reports/drives from Quebec in the snow and everyone seemed to have really high praise. Curious if that is just the opinion of the "average joe" and to them the system really seemed able to handle everything versus the opinion of someone here with more technical knowledge who can comment on the power / torque etc. Also it was commented that we get less HP but more torque - is one better than the other when it comes to AWD (as torque refers to the rotational power of the engine versus HP refers to the lateral power so really not sure if one number is better to look at than the other in this case)

Vehicles
      03-21-2017 07:02 PM #9
      I have a Q7 3.0T and the Quattro system on it is great. Longitudinal mounted and it has no issues with rugged terrain or hauling. Haven't had to service it at all. My A3 Quattro on the other hand has the haldex system and again it's great, but only comes on when needed. I have it tuned so it does come on a bit more aggressive. It's load and yaw based so you really don't notice when it is not engaged.

My gripe about it, is having to service it every 60,000 kms, it's not cheap.

I'm contemplating getting the Atlas, but I'm not impressed with VR6 and Haldex combo. The Toureg on the other hand comes with the Torsen Quattro. I would have rather liked to see it come with the 2.0TSI from the Golf R and Haldex setup. Good power, torque, better fuel mileage.
      SEM Motorsports
      Unitronic Chipped
      DoTuning

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-21-2017 09:23 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by jkopelc View Post
      Can any of the more technical previous posters comment on performance of the AWD system? (Have we seen this engine with other 4Motion systems? Alltrack, Tiguan etc? or do they have a different engine and/or different torsten or haldex system).

I guess what I am trying to get at is how will the AWD system perform and is it comparable to anything else VW has or Audi has? We have seen some media test reports/drives from Quebec in the snow and everyone seemed to have really high praise. Curious if that is just the opinion of the "average joe" and to them the system really seemed able to handle everything versus the opinion of someone here with more technical knowledge who can comment on the power / torque etc. Also it was commented that we get less HP but more torque - is one better than the other when it comes to AWD (as torque refers to the rotational power of the engine versus HP refers to the lateral power so really not sure if one number is better to look at than the other in this case)
      the B6 Passat we got had the BLV VR6 with 4Motion combo, but that was with an older generation Haldex, either a 2nd generation or 4th generation.

The US Tiguan has a 4th gen Haldex, which works differently from the current 5th gen. It has a 90:10 default split, and in rare cases, can transfer almost all its power to the the rear axle.

The caveat with the Quebec drive, is it has winter tires, supposedly studded, to be in compliance with Quebec province's winter tire law, so of course, its AWD performance will be a lot better, since it has better tires for traction.
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion

For advertising information click HERE