Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2017 F1 Countdown Thread

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      12-02-2016 12:33 PM #101
      Almost embedded this, then realized it was an image with "***** you" text on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyrz-quXEAAvD72.jpg

Nico leaving he factory after packing up his things.

Vehicles
      14 Mazda6 Touring, 05 Sienna LE, 04 Saab 9-5W, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      12-02-2016 12:36 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      People can come back from retirement too ya know.
      sure.
      in f1 though? pretty tough once you are out of the loop for even a year, there are new talents trying to break in every day/week/year.

i havent been watching f1 for terribly long.

so maybe someone else can answer...

has any driver 'retired' from F1, then came back to F1 and either won a championship, or at least been in say the top 4 drivers standings(what i would consider being competitive) on their comeback trip??
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

Vehicles
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      12-02-2016 12:37 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by enigmatic enthusiast View Post
      He was going to absolutely destroy Nico next year anyway and it looks like nico was fully aware.
      Reading this about a million times today from every Hamilton fanboy. What if next year was the same as this year? It's just annoying to read this when someone already won and has a championship to prove it. Yes, Hamilton is a better driver. I am hoping Hamilton get a worthy teammate. No, not so he can be beat again but so I can enjoy the season with some close racing hopefully. Would be even better if the last race in 2017 is a team title decider too.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      12-02-2016 12:37 PM #104
      didnt know this thread existed...whoops

Vehicles
      2012 CC R-Line CW :::::::::::::::::1998 GTi PB
      12-02-2016 12:39 PM #105
      nico retiring is some pretty crazy news!
      1+3+3=7

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 12:47 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by dunhamjr View Post
      so maybe someone else can answer...

has any driver 'retired' from F1, then came back to F1 and either won a championship, or at least been in say the top 4 drivers standings(what i would consider being competitive) on their comeback trip??
      just looking up Schumi's return from retirement, as great as he was...

overall WDC standing
      2010 - 9th
      2011 - 8th
      2012 - 7th

so Schumacher left F1 end of 2006, and came back in 2010 (3 years off).
      he did ok, mid pack-ish or a little better (20-22 drivers). and was improving slightly. but was really not at top level performance/competitiveness any more.

during those 3 years it seems like he only got on the podium 1 time(3rd, 2012 European GP)
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

Vehicles
      2011 128i
      12-02-2016 12:52 PM #107
      I've never been a huge fan of Nico, I don't know if it's because I'm a Hamilton fan, or what.

I think it's worth noting that we don't know if Nico ever wanted to be a driver. He was put into it at age 6. I think he got the championship to cement his family legacy and bounced. I have respect for that, but in my mind it also cements my opinion of him as a racer. He had natural talent, but not as much desire or drive as the majority of the grid.
      Quote Originally Posted by westopher View Post
      If you want to spend a bunch of money for something to look at, buy a painting. I'll happily drive my car til its worth nothing.
      Quote Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt View Post
      Since my presence has been requested, Beetlejuice-style, I'll address the current controversy:
      Yes, the Prius is the greatest car ever made.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      12-02-2016 12:57 PM #108
      IMO. rosberg doesnt do as well working through the grid from the back of the pack as those other drivers named.

i am not talking about just this year either. i am talking about the last 5-6 years.
      Fair enough response.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Vehicles
      1972 Condor II Autocross Spec with Dan in the passenger seat
      12-02-2016 12:58 PM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Almost embedded this, then realized it was an image with "***** you" text on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cyrz-quXEAAvD72.jpg

Nico leaving he factory after packing up his things.
      And this is amazing.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

10. 12-02-2016 01:14 PM #110

Posted in 16' before it got locked.

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 01:19 PM #111
      Ya

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 01:21 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Ya

researching it, his first return to F1 wasn't that succesful... the 2nd though he did get another WDC, so that helps.

OK, so one. Not great odds.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
      Last edited by dunhamjr; 12-02-2016 at 01:35 PM.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

Vehicles
      2006 XC90 V8, 2013 Honda Accord Sport
      12-02-2016 01:23 PM #113
      sure.

Not sure if you can consider it retirement but Kimi left for two years to do this:

or the better version:

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      12-02-2016 01:30 PM #114
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 01:32 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Bionic View Post
      Not sure if you can consider it retirement but Kimi left for two years to do this:
      Right, after he came back and has classified as high as 3rd and 4th in the championship.

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 01:36 PM #116
      That whole thread is great. Mercedes has to call DC first, LOL.

17. 12-02-2016 01:40 PM #117
      Didn't Prost retire then come back and win a Championship?

18. 12-02-2016 01:44 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Spoiler Alert: Verstappen wins the championship.
      Because Adrian Newey.

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 01:48 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Bionic View Post

forgot Kimi left and came back, that was right about when i started really following F1 (watching every race, etc).

he hasnt done too bad on his return. 3rd, 5th, 12th(???), 4th, 6th.
      definitely toward the top end of the results often enough to be called competitive (minus that 12th)
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

Vehicles
      12-02-2016 02:00 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by Blaspherion View Post
      Didn't Prost retire then come back and win a Championship?
      you are correct. but Prost was also retiring as an already 3 time WC, he only missed 1 year, and only stayed 1 year.

so yeah Rosberg could drop out of F1 for a year or 3 and could come back, and may even be a strong competitor...
      but i dont put Rosberg in the same talent/skill/desire realm as either Lauda or Prost.
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7, 5.3 & 3.0TT
      12-02-2016 02:21 PM #121
      Here is a good interview with Rosberg after he won the championship but before his retirement was announced: Nico Rosberg opens up on title win and Lewis Hamilton relationship

Vehicles
      7.4, 5.7, 5.3 & 3.0TT
      12-02-2016 02:26 PM #122
      I know there have been links to Rosberg's retirement statement but thought it would be good to quote the entire thing here:

Quote Originally Posted by Nico Rosberg
      Since 25 years in racing, it has been my dream, my ‘one thing’ to become Formula One World Champion. Through the hard work, the pain, the sacrifices, this has been my target.And now I’ve made it. I have climbed my mountain, I am on the peak, so this feels right. My strongest emotion right now is deep gratitude to everybody who supported me to make that dream happen.

This season, I tell you, it was so damn tough. I pushed like crazy in every area after the disappointments of the last two years; they fuelled my motivation to levels I had never experienced before. And of course that had an impact on the ones I love, too – it was a whole family effort of sacrifice, putting everything behind our target. I cannot find enough words to thank my wife Vivian; she has been incredible. She understood that this year was the big one, our opportunity to do it, and created the space for me to get full recovery between every race, looking after our daughter each night, taking over when things got tough and putting ourchampionship first.

When I won the race in Suzuka, from the moment when the destiny of the title was in my own hands, the big pressure started and I began to think about ending my racing career if I became World Champion. On Sunday morning in Abu Dhabi, I knew that it could be my last race and that feeling cleared my head before the start. I wanted to enjoy every part of the experience, knowing it might be the last time… and then the lights went out and I had the most intense 55 laps of my life. I took my decision on Monday evening. After reflecting for a day, the first people I told were Vivian and Georg (Nolte, from Nico’s management team), followed by Toto.

The only thing that makes this decision in any way difficult for me is because I am putting my racing family into a toughsituation. But Toto understood. He knew straight away that I was completely convinced and that reassured me. My proudest achievement in racing will always be to have won the world championship with this incredible team of people,the Silver Arrows.

Now, I’m just here to enjoy the moment. There is time tosavour the next weeks, to reflect on the season and to enjoy every experience that comes my way. After that, I will turn the next corner in my life and see what it has in store for me…

23. 12-02-2016 02:26 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Holy s*** At first I was like, this is a joke right? But multiple outlets are running the story.

So does he think he doesn't have it to defend his title for 2017? If so then that's total weak sauce. Has fighting for the 2016 title drained him? How about another go at it and prove the first one wasn't a fluke? Again, weak sauce.

I'm picturing Alonso calling his lawyers and managers right about now. But I'm betting Wehrlein getting the seat.
      There was an article out two days after Nico won abour how burned out he was but I didn't even click on it because I thought it was a fluff piece. Wow.

Bad for Nico. Yeah, he won it all, but as a driver he should have ran a season to defend it. He is under contract, got what who he wanted in the garage and has Lowe and Lauda on his side.
      Just goes to show you how intense the pressure was.Better to les\ave on top than to suffer the potential loss by a wide margin next year and bring doubt to the legacy ofyour championship crown.

Now the fun begins! If you think Lewis is a handful, Alonso will be off the charts crazy on that team! Very emotional with a temper. Titanium sparks will fly!

Looks like I willget the silly season I wanted, and on the team I pull for! The fight for that seat will be epic.

24. 12-02-2016 02:33 PM #124
      has anyone ever seen Rosberg have ONE amazing drive? I've seen him sit at the front of the pack for a long time, I've never seen him battle and pull off amazing wins like other champions have. (vettel, Hamilton, for reference.)

I don't believe he is a champion driver at all. I think he is a good driver, but he got very very lucky this year. Had Hamilton not had as many issues as he did (regardless if you think he pushed the car to much, or it was just bad luck), he would have walked away with the title.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, nor am I a rosberg fan FYI.

25. 12-02-2016 02:38 PM #125
      The way this is going down makes me think the Rosberg is the Sting of F1. Break up the band at its peak and all. Weird. Having kids that are growing up faster than I would like, I get that part of it but you would think he would want to take a crack at defending his title. Like I said... weird.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast