VWVortex.com - Fourtitude’s Broken Site
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Fourtitude’s Broken Site

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T, 98 Passat 1.8T, 91 Passat 16v, 87 Jetta GLI, 83 Jetta 1.8
      11-21-2016 01:01 PM #1
      Dear Fourtitude Staff.

As a vortex member, I’ve enjoyed reading VAG news and community perspectives for a little over fifteen years now. While I’ve been content in reading (and sometimes commenting on) automotive topics, I’d like to give back (at least in a small way).

As a senior graphic designer for a little over twenty years (27 in print media publishing), I have to say the intuitive nature of this news site (and VWVortex) contributed in maintaining my interest all these years. However, I must bring to your attention the technical and usability failings of this site as of late.

For some time now, the Fourtitude home page has presented a difficult read due to errors in CSS resources. While sourcing Typekit is an establish practice for designers like myself, web developers will quickly point out the pitfalls with dependancies on third party resources. As it stands, the Fourtitude site renders without the intended typographic support. The web font link is broken (404).

For some, this broken resource may not detract from the experience that much. This might go unnoticed if the user agent (browser) defaults to a sans-serif font such as Arial or Helvetica. While this might happen in the world of Mozilla, other user agents might default to a serif font, such as Times. The issue with this is specific to the Fourtitude site, mostly because the Fourtitude design sets white text over a dark background. In the world of visual communication and usability, this combination is a faux pas. Anyone who’s a Hackaday reader knows what I’m talking about. Creative expression aside (and usability still), the use of a serif font on a dark background is a cardinal sin. Serif fonts have very thin ascenders and descenders, this coupled with non-web typefaces (small x-height) hinders legibility dramatically — if not an outright impossibility.

Safari users see only a blur of text, whereas Firefox users may get by with a sans-serif default — unaware they’re not seeing the site design as it was originally intended.

I would recommend Fourtitude staff consider two options: repair the link to Typekit (easy fix), or source an equivalent typeface locally (recommended). While you’re at it, please note that Facebook, Youtube, or any other outside media sources referenced in javascript or php will be blocked if the protocols/domains/ports do not match.

If the original Fourtitude typeface is unknown or no longer available (as per the risk in using an outside resource), I would be willing to aid the selection of an appropriate web typeface for local use.

Please see the attached sample of what a Fourtitude article looks like on the home page.

Thank you.

2. Not your guy, fwiend...
      11-21-2016 04:41 PM #2
      Looking into this.
      -Philip

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Sport, 2001 Jetta GLS 1.8T, 98 Passat 1.8T, 91 Passat 16v, 87 Jetta GLI, 83 Jetta 1.8
      11-21-2016 10:04 PM #3
      Has no one else noticed this issue?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      11-26-2016 01:17 AM #4
      I’ve looked at the code of the front page and have seen what "pragmatica-web" font looks like. It’s very close to Helvetica. However, Helvetica is a poor display face where space is concerned — that, and it’s a print font more than a web font (so far as rendering goes).

To that, I’ve superficially hacked the site within my browser to see what best works.

In the image shown below, I’ve used "Avenir Next" for the headings, main nav buttons, and sub-heads in the right margin. The captions and body content used Helvetica.

The difference in legibility is substantial. Comments anyone?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      12-05-2016 09:50 PM #5
      Does anyone else see these issues on the front page?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      12-16-2016 08:53 AM #6
      As it stands, more of the site is falling apart.
      Have a look at where the menu is, and the alignment of the head graphic.
      Is anyone else seeing this? It shows in Firefox and Safari.

http://fourtitude.com/features/Misce...-drive-system/

7. 01-07-2017 03:01 PM #7
      I'm still wondering why the galleries haven't had any major updates for nearly 6 months. I've been told in PM's that it's some issue that the staff here has been trying to fix for a while, but I haven't gotten updates on it in a while.

For advertising information click HERE