VWVortex.com - $19 for a bowl of what???!!!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: $19 for a bowl of what???!!!

11-23-2016 08:01 AM #1
      Yep, $19 for a bowl of ramen. And that's before any added extras like extra slices of pork or scallions:

Apparently people are not a fan of the price: http://ny.eater.com/2016/10/20/13344...men-nyc-prices

Hundreds of fans of the Japanese ramen chain Ichiran lined up before the new Bushwick location opened at 11 a.m. yesterday, but some of them balked at least one difference in New York City’s location — the price. One bowl of the tonkotsu ramen costs $18.90, before add-ons like noodle refills. Even with tip included in the Ichiran prices, many people were irked at how much more expensive it was than at other locations in Japan and Hong Kong. In Japan, the same bowl costs $7.
      And $16 for a bowl of noodles with black bean sauce:

OK, ramen is very familiar in the U.S. But not Chinese-Korean food. Chinese-Korean food is basically Chinese food evolved in Korea. Like how Chinese food evolved here.
      And the main Chinese-Korean dish is jajjang-myun aka noodles with black bean sauce. The others are sweet and sour pork, fried dumplings and noodles in spicy seafood broth.

Chinese-Korean food is basically Korean comfort food. I'm Korean and I grew up on the stuff. It's my childhood, teen years and adulthood. And it's not haughty-taughty cuisine. Think diner food. You can get it anywhere in Korea and in Korean communities in the U.S.

So now with this joint, jajjang-myun and Chinese-Korean food is elevated into haughty-taughty cuisine. Complete with the prices. Not sure how I feel about this. I went to college in eastern Long Island and my friend and I all piled into a car and head into Queens for some Chinese-Korean food. We each get the noodles in black bean sauce. Then a large order of sweet and sour pork and dumplings to share. And at the end, we all chipped in what, $10~ each?

So if you want some inexpensive eats and not in the mood for Korean BBQ, check out a Chinese-Korean joint.

2. Senior Member
      11-23-2016 09:14 AM #2
      I've started making my own after making beef with noodles and my wife commenting that it would probably be very good with added beef stock. Very easy and a lot cheaper than $20 a bowl.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ighlight=Ramen

It's on the list of things to make soon. Next soup up will be French onion soup, then ramen beef. I also make Chef Tell's beef rouladen for Valentine's Day and ramen beef the next day with the beef trimmings.

I used to take Amtrak from Trenton, NJ to DC 20 years ago. There was a ramen noodle place in the lower level food court at Union Station in DC that was often my dinner before the train home.
      Last edited by Cooper; 11-23-2016 at 09:16 AM.

3. Senior Member
      11-23-2016 09:20 AM #3
      The place in Union Station looks to be gone. It was on the lower level about position 106 - 110 on the directory.

http://www.unionstationdc.com/pdfs/DirectoryMap.pdf

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Tiguan SE 4Motion
      11-30-2016 05:36 PM #4
      Hipsters charge more for less because they can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Jezza
      Power and Speed solves many things

5. 12-12-2016 05:30 PM #5
      Meh.

I would rather have PHO.
      ***ORIGINAL OWNER*** ...............1985 TOYOTA Corolla GT-S, Hatchback, Brilliant Silver, Zenki "Hachi Roku" TRUENO

Vehicles
      2011 Prius
      12-21-2016 10:16 AM #6
      There is a popup ramen place that goes to all the breweries around town that sells their bowls for like 15 dollars. IMO way overpriced. I've had it and liked it but 15 bucks!?

https://www.tastingtable.com/dine/na...ramen-yakitori

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      12-25-2016 09:42 AM #7
      If u pay 19 for bowl of ramen then you deserve to pay 19 for a bowl of ramen.
      Honking at one Camry at a time

Vehicles
      Silverado
      01-05-2017 07:26 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 1 can 'rado View Post
      Meh.

I would rather have PHO.
      Same. Girlfriend is Vietnamese so I lucked out there.

For advertising information click HERE