Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Let's talk Garbage Disposals

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      12-31-2016 12:08 PM #1
      The builder-grade Badger 5 1/2 continuous-feed unit that came with our house has started leaking so it's time to kick it to the curb.

We had a repair guy (private, 1-man shop, no brand bias) just replace the water filter housing on our fridge and he recommended we go with a Whirlpool branded disposal. Any other suggestions? What about Moen (they look pretty cool). What about InSinkErator, they look like the same Badger people but maybe their higher-end product is better?

EDIT: Oops, I meant a Badger 5.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      12-31-2016 01:25 PM #2
      Badger is the entry level brand for In-Sink-Erator. The Whirlpool is make by In-Sink-Erator under private label - it looks and is priced like the Badger. The Moen is made by Anaheim Manufacturing which is owned by Moen. They look and are priced like their low end Whirlaway units.

I'm a fan of In-Sink-Erator and have an Evolution cover control unit. It's been in place about 7 years and have never had a jam or clog. It was about $300 but IMHO, worth it.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      12-31-2016 02:49 PM #3
      Thanks for the reply. I'm looking at that Evolution Cover Control and see it's batch feed. I've only had or used continuous-feed units. From reading the differences I think I want to stick with a continuous-feed.

Our current disposal is 1/2hp. Any reason to upgrade to something more powerful? My wife cooks a lot so veg/fruit peel, etc always go down the disposal. Is that more of a reason to also go with a 2-stage grinder?

EDIT: The Evo Pro looks to be the same as the Cover Control but it's continuous-feed.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      01-01-2017 12:56 PM #4
      My wife grew up with batch feed and I grew up with a trash barrel so batch feed it was. We never have so much to dispose of so it's rare that we run multiple batches at a time unless we are getting rid of leftovers. We also compost quite a bit so it's not a big deal to us to batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Our current disposal is 1/2hp. Any reason to upgrade to something more powerful?
      "MORE POWAH!!!" If 1/2 HP is good, then 3/4 HP must be AWESOME!

5. Member
      01-01-2017 03:04 PM #5
      We use our 15 year old In-Sink-Erator model 17 every day and it shows no signs of slowing down. It's a lock cover/batch feed with a 3/4 hp motor. Great system.

Vehicles
      03 Jetta, 06 Passat 3.6, 11 Tiguan SEL
      01-02-2017 07:55 AM #6
      When I renovated the kitchen of our last house I used a titan disposal. It was a rebadged waste king and had a 10 year warranty. The price was significantly less than a comparable insinkerator for the same specs and it had a longer warranty at the time. The install was done around 04 and it was still going strong when we sold the house in February. It has chewed several spoons thanks to our kids and the only think that was fix on it in that time was a failed sink gasket which in hindsight wad my fault because I didn't install it correctly.

7. Member
      01-04-2017 04:37 PM #7
      I had a mid level In-Sink-Erator unit that worked perfectly in my old house. Wish I could put one in in my new house. Too bad I have a septic system now. Ugh.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

Vehicles
      01-05-2017 07:22 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by AJB View Post
      I had a mid level In-Sink-Erator unit that worked perfectly in my old house. Wish I could put one in in my new house. Too bad I have a septic system now. Ugh.
      why can't you have one with a septic tank? I had one in my old house and never had an issue.

01-09-2017 02:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by v b chil-n View Post
      why can't you have one with a septic tank? I had one in my old house and never had an issue.
      The only things that should go in your septic tank should be toilet paper and whatever decides to come out of your body.

We are on septic, but still have a disposal for anything that might make it through the screen on the drain. After a few weeks you get used to dumping into the trash what used to go down the drain.

10. Member
      01-09-2017 02:25 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post
      The only things that should go in your septic tank should be toilet paper and whatever decides to come out of your body.

We are on septic, but still have a disposal for anything that might make it through the screen on the drain. After a few weeks you get used to dumping into the trash what used to go down the drain.
      Yeah, I used to not having one now. Just wish I did again. But zero chance that town is going to run a pipe where I live.
      Current: 2015 RPGM Chevy SS Sedan 6spd - 2000 Chevy K2500 - 2013 Honda Odyssey TE
      Past: 2011 JSW TDi 6spd @100k - 2006 Honda Accord Sedan V6 6spd @170k - 04 VW Passat W8 6spd Wagon @123k - 1996 Mazda Miata 5spd Base @257k - 2003 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd @74k - 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 @303k - 1991 Honda Accord LX 5spd @151k - 1993 Toyota Corolla 5spd Base @154k

Vehicles
      01-09-2017 09:03 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Bladecatcher View Post

I used ours for plant and bread material no meats and it has worked fine for over 15 years.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      01-10-2017 08:39 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by v b chil-n View Post
      growing up we had a garbage disposal on septic. but today's tanks might be a tad different. our development is on septic and we can't have a disposal. even though there's one in the sink right now (broken).

we're (meaning me) are going to eventually build a composting bin outside.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

01-10-2017 10:59 AM #13
      I'm not saying that you can't send food scraps into the septic tank, it's just more solid matter that will need to be broken down. Which technically means that you will need to have the tank pumped more often.

We had some septic issues when we moved into this house 5 years ago, so I probably researched all of this waaaaaay too much. But we're dealing with poo here. I do not want to deal with poo issues inside of the house if I can help it, so the septic tank is now like a family member. We have a close bond.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      04-20-2017 11:50 AM #14
      Follow-up, I ended up ordering a Waste King L-3300. Great disposal, we are really happy with it. It's super quiet and seems pretty powerful.

Then Amazon emailed me last Friday to tell me there is a voluntary recall on the disposal. Apparently a piece of metal can fly out of the disposal feed opening! There was a slight metal rattling when starting the unit and now I wonder if this is the piece that will try to maim me. I contacted Moen/Anaheim that night and by Monday afternoon I had confirmation that they have already shipped out a replacement unit. They will also reimburse us up to $150 for the installation and are providing a FedEx slip to mail the old one back.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      04-20-2017 11:55 AM #15
      Then Amazon emailed me last Friday to tell me there is a voluntary recall on the disposal. Apparently a piece of metal can fly out of the disposal feed opening! There was a slight metal rattling when starting the unit and now I wonder if this is the piece that will try to maim me. I contacted Moen/Anaheim that night and by Monday afternoon I had confirmation that they have already shipped out a replacement unit. They will also reimburse us up to $150 for the installation and are providing a FedEx slip to mail the old one back.
      AAA Plumbing. I'm sure somewhere someone can fire up Excel and make an invoice for you.

I think that's pretty heads up and responsive for the company.
      Professional Thread Derailer | I have mixed drinks about feelings | I said 'good day'!
      Default post options: So, it has come to this. | If you think so. | Not that there's anything wrong with that. | That's what she said. | WTF.
      //// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      2015 R, 1995 Cabrio, 2003 1.8T 5MT Passat (stage 1), 1966 Deluxe Bus
      04-20-2017 11:32 PM #16
      Follow-up, I ended up ordering a Waste King L-3300. Great disposal, we are really happy with it. It's super quiet and seems pretty powerful.

I've had my waste king for about 2.5 years now and have been really happy with the quietness and power. Like you, I got the notification from Amazon. I'm glad I saw this post as a reminder to call the company up regarding the recall. :-)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE