Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: UNITED MOTORSPORT - Tuned MK7 Golf R Owner's Thread

1. 03-21-2017 03:59 AM #226
      Quote Originally Posted by luchos View Post
      I'd say a big turbo kit is always worth the troubles however you know what they say, if you want it done right you do it yourself... I'd be furious if some shop butchered my install
      There's no problem with the kit itself, its the shop I chose to do the original install, had heard good things about them but they messed up bad. As for doing it myself, I just don't have the know how, proper tools or a lift in order to do a job like that. Just glad I found a good shop to help fix this mess and at a really fair price

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2015 F80 M3 Yas Marina
      03-21-2017 09:10 AM #227
      I thought about doing it myself... I'm sure I could, but I don't know how to adjust a wastegate properly, and the thought of the closest UM dealer being in Houston.

The only time I have messed with one is back on the MKIV 1.8T, we used to shut them.
      2017 Golf R Oryx White, DSG- Current 2017 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue A8-Current
      2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Night Edition-Current 2015 BMW F80 M3 Yas Marina Blue- Sold 2013 Jetta Hybrid SEL Premium Platinum Grey Metallic- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy White Sunroof/Nav- Sold 2012 Golf R Candy WhiteSunroof/Nav-Sold Twice 2006 Jetta GLI PKG#2 DSG- Sold 2005 GTI 1.8T Reflex Silver- Sold 2005 Golf GLS Indigo Blue- Sold

Vehicles
      '91 vw gti aba-t '05 audi tt quattro ppt pte5857 '13 vw golf r RIP '15 vw golf sportwagen tsi
      03-21-2017 09:16 AM #228
      Quote Originally Posted by kevsdub View Post
      There's no problem with the kit itself, its the shop I chose to do the original install, had heard good things about them but they messed up bad. As for doing it myself, I just don't have the know how, proper tools or a lift in order to do a job like that. Just glad I found a good shop to help fix this mess and at a really fair price

Seems like a pretty nice kit. I think you can mostly get to it from the top, it does not require changing exhaust manifold which is always a b*tch. But if you're not comfortable I understand. I recently paid a shop to install some parts that were easy peasy just because I lack the time these days having a 2.5 year old daughter.
      2017 VW Golf R dsg CTS intake CTS turbo muffler delete CTS turbo outlet pipe CTS throttle pipe CTS dogbone insert GFB dv+ 42dd downpipe UM ecu/tcu tune

Vehicles
      '91 vw gti aba-t '05 audi tt quattro ppt pte5857 '13 vw golf r RIP '15 vw golf sportwagen tsi
      03-21-2017 09:18 AM #229
      Quote Originally Posted by JLCVDUB View Post
      I thought about doing it myself... I'm sure I could, but I don't know how to adjust a wastegate properly, and the thought of the closest UM dealer being in Houston.

The only time I have messed with one is back on the MKIV 1.8T, we used to shut them.
      I was always a fan of EWG on a big turbo kit . Matter of fact I just might own one of those
      2017 VW Golf R dsg CTS intake CTS turbo muffler delete CTS turbo outlet pipe CTS throttle pipe CTS dogbone insert GFB dv+ 42dd downpipe UM ecu/tcu tune

5. 03-21-2017 12:43 PM #230
      Quote Originally Posted by luchos View Post
      Seems like a pretty nice kit. I think you can mostly get to it from the top, it does not require changing exhaust manifold which is always a b*tch. But if you're not comfortable I understand. I recently paid a shop to install some parts that were easy peasy just because I lack the time these days having a 2.5 year old daughter.
      Pretty much the same boat here, work too much and have 6yo daughter, the stock turbo blew up on eurodyne stage 2, I was on my way home from work so I was dead in the water. After VW denied warranty as expected I just had it towed to said shop, part of that decision was they were only a mile away from VW, which helped the tow bill, that and they had a solid reputation. Go figure.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf MKVII R
      03-21-2017 01:37 PM #231
      Hi just wanted to know if anyone on here is or knows of anyone running UM on stage 2 boost levels(blue,green or red) and stacking jb4 and/or meth on top? I'm only on jb4 but looking to expand my build plans

7. 03-21-2017 02:53 PM #232
      2017 MK7 R with HPA DP. Just got my Stage "2", 29psi on 90 octane. Just a HPA Downpipe. I had the downpipe in prior to tune, definitely felt an increase in power. I was nervous about the DSG tune as I am quite picky on the shift points. It turned out to be better than expected, very pleased with that aspect. Initial torque RIGHT off the line is much better. 120-200kmh+ is hilariously quick. I need to do more city driving to give a better answer on that... but the zero to impound time has definitely been reduced. Coming out of a valley it just claws coming up the hill, wants more and more. All in All: its a very oem+ experience. Doesn't feel like its aftermarket in any negative way. Doesn't give me the butterflies like a tuned 997 turbo did, but that was 500hp+, can't really expect stage 2 in the R to do that until stg 3 id figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Member _you_can_call_me_al__'s Avatar
      Vehicles
      First 500 15' GOLF R , 16' Tiguan SE 4Motion
      03-21-2017 03:07 PM #233
      Quote Originally Posted by DFW RS View Post
      I have the UM tune on my TT-RS. 034 intake, 034 downpipe, no cats. No problem passing the emission test.
      It's apparently a MQB thing

9. 03-21-2017 03:24 PM #234
      Quote Originally Posted by slight View Post
      2017 MK7 R with HPA DP. Just got my Stage "2", 29psi on 90 octane. Just a HPA Downpipe. I had the downpipe in prior to tune, definitely felt an increase in power. I was nervous about the DSG tune as I am quite picky on the shift points. It turned out to be better than expected, very pleased with that aspect. Initial torque RIGHT off the line is much better. 120-200kmh+ is hilariously quick. I need to do more city driving to give a better answer on that... but the zero to impound time has definitely been reduced. Coming out of a valley it just claws coming up the hill, wants more and more. All in All: its a very oem+ experience. Doesn't feel like its aftermarket in any negative way. Doesn't give me the butterflies like a tuned 997 turbo did, but that was 500hp+, can't really expect stage 2 in the R to do that until stg 3 id figure.

Nice writeup. did you do 29psi just to be in between 28-30psi kind of middle of the road? no sarcasm intended. I just can't decide what to set at myself. 28 seemed to be max for the IS38 turbo. not sure if 1psi increase on top of that would kill it or even 2psi on top of that. I do not know if it would be a linear increase in torture on the turbo/engine or is it exponential? you know what i mean??
      enjoy!!

10. Yesterday 10:16 PM #235
      Man I wish they'd release 2-step and no lift shift for the manuals, hopefully once they release their fuel system upgrade it will happen.

11. Yesterday 10:42 PM #236
      Quote Originally Posted by newvwdude777 View Post
      Nice writeup. did you do 29psi just to be in between 28-30psi kind of middle of the road? no sarcasm intended. I just can't decide what to set at myself. 28 seemed to be max for the IS38 turbo. not sure if 1psi increase on top of that would kill it or even 2psi on top of that. I do not know if it would be a linear increase in torture on the turbo/engine or is it exponential? you know what i mean??
      enjoy!!
      Gosh I don't even know, the local tuner just said go 29 for the bigger power and that's what I went with. The log showed very little timing pulled with crap winter fuel on 90 so that's good. Going to try 91 this summer and see how it likes it.

12. Yesterday 10:43 PM #237
      After driving a few days with the tune, it's been even better. Bloody fast it is.

Launch control is perfectly violent!! I have a **** eating grin driving the R.

13. Yesterday 10:51 PM #238
      Going to track against a stage 2 APR this summer, will report!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910