VWVortex.com - JB1 Installed on my 2016 Passat Rline
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: JB1 Installed on my 2016 Passat Rline

1. 01-07-2017 02:56 PM #1
      Got around to installing my new JB1 unit today on my 2016 Rline. Install was super easy from the top once I removed the intake snorkel. I spent probably 45 minutes as I wanted to wait a bit & make sure it was in sleep mode as I left the battery connected so I can compare my fuel mileage & I did't want to set the MFA. On our B7's there is plenty of room for the lower on the charge pipe that all the GTI have trouble accessing. I used a zip tie on that lower loom to keep it away from the fan & I used another on the whole harness just to keep it in place. There is room to run most of the JB1 loom under the engine cover but I left it on the side as it still looks clean & I think it is a smoother & cooler option for the wires.

Once I finished up replacing the snorkel I went for a spin. In Drive & driving normally if feels very close to stock but much better throttle response as you can here the turbo a bit more as it's getting more boost everywhere. Once warm I put it in manual mode & did 2 full throttle romps & wow! It pulls so nice & hard & it is incredible smooth. Once you hit about 2800 RPM it just pulls so strong! I only made it to the top of second gear but man I am impressed! Kudos to George for answering all my questions & producing this unit! IMHO it is the perfect upgrade for a guy like me with 3 kids who wants a smooth car but a little more oomph when you hit the gas. My car is a Tiptronic & my past GIAC & APR tuned Tip's have not shifted all that smooth under load when all that torque hits so hard on the shift from first to second. The JB1 is so much smoother & while I know it makes less HP & TQ than those two & other tunes I am much happier knowing my ECU is not flagged as I live in California & I also leased my car so it will be much easier at lease end to remove it & take it with me. It truly feels OEM to me only so much stronger & I can finally hear the turbo. I was looking at a new GTI for my wife but I may just buy her a Wolfsburg Golf & pick up some used GTI wheels & suspension & add a JB1 as the Wolfsburg's are about $5k cheaper.

Can't wait to drive to work today & test it out on my commute! Again Kudos to George for a fantastic tuning option & the excellent customer support & service!

2. 01-18-2017 04:40 PM #2
      My JB1 is coming in tomorrow for my 2017 passat r line.
      How are you liking it so far after a couple days of use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 02-02-2017 01:29 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Bboyshadow7 View Post
      My JB1 is coming in tomorrow for my 2017 passat r line.
      How are you liking it so far after a couple days of use?

It's fantastic! Totally smooth everywhere with much more power when you put your foot in it. I normally drive in Sport mode but find myself using the paddles much more! Fuel mileage has remained the same depending on how hard I drive. No issues with our crappy CA fuel either.

Did you install yours yet?

4. 02-02-2017 08:06 PM #5
      Update,

So I realized I have not done any wide open runs thru 4th gear so on my way home from work I went out near LAX & made 3......holly **** balls! Car pulls really hard now that it is fully adapted! I did it from a slow roll in first gear in manual mode & just matted it until it shifted to 5th.....man top of 4th is over 120! Make sure you have plenty of open road around & no cops!

I am surprised at how much harder it pulls after doing the 3 pulls as before I had only gone 3/4 throttle to the top of 2nd gear. Loving my JB1!

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat R Line current. Previous: 6spd Cc, MKIV Gli, MKIV Glx, MKIII Glx, MKII Gli
      05-07-2017 01:00 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Passatfamilyguy View Post
      Update,

So I realized I have not done any wide open runs thru 4th gear so on my way home from work I went out near LAX & made 3......holly **** balls! Car pulls really hard now that it is fully adapted! I did it from a slow roll in first gear in manual mode & just matted it until it shifted to 5th.....man top of 4th is over 120! Make sure you have plenty of open road around & no cops!

I am surprised at how much harder it pulls after doing the 3 pulls as before I had only gone 3/4 throttle to the top of 2nd gear. Loving my JB1!
      How does the trans shift? Any changes to that or make any difference in feel? Be kinda nice to hear a 2nd gear chirp during shifting.

6. 05-08-2017 11:21 AM #7
      I too have the JB1, and I feel it did make a significant improvement. I don't think I can chirp the trans in 2nd gear, but to be honest i don't slam the pedal to the floor to try either. I tend to do a lot of roll into it then accelerate hard (merging, ramps, etc). I don't think it is a placebo but I do feel like the box smoothed the shifting out a little bit overall. However, I do feel that the trans in these cars is set up for economy and not raw performance. Shifting into "S" helps some, but even then it is still not overly aggressive. I am not trying to offend anyone here, but I think some people are having unrealistic expectations for a standard auto (non-dsg) transmission in a budget minded family sedan. DOn't get me wrong, I am very happy with my 2016 Passat S.....but I feel i have realistic expectations for an $18,000 family sedan and I don't expect it to be Audi or BMW like.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 Jetta 2.5
      05-08-2017 01:50 PM #8
      So JB1 runs at 3.5 PSI compared to neuspeed 4 PSI?

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Passat R Line current. Previous: 6spd Cc, MKIV Gli, MKIV Glx, MKIII Glx, MKII Gli
      05-09-2017 06:37 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by CCMDVW View Post
      I too have the JB1, and I feel it did make a significant improvement. I don't think I can chirp the trans in 2nd gear, but to be honest i don't slam the pedal to the floor to try either. I tend to do a lot of roll into it then accelerate hard (merging, ramps, etc). I don't think it is a placebo but I do feel like the box smoothed the shifting out a little bit overall. However, I do feel that the trans in these cars is set up for economy and not raw performance. Shifting into "S" helps some, but even then it is still not overly aggressive. I am not trying to offend anyone here, but I think some people are having unrealistic expectations for a standard auto (non-dsg) transmission in a budget minded family sedan. DOn't get me wrong, I am very happy with my 2016 Passat S.....but I feel i have realistic expectations for an $18,000 family sedan and I don't expect it to be Audi or BMW like.
      I like that it doesn't operate like the dsg. For the traffic I'm in daily (Chicago city to burbs and back) it would drive me nuts in off idle and braking. I usually have it in S when driving in the city just to make it less likely to upshift when I have to dodge cars and people and cyclists and potholes and meteors etc. I've read where some of the tunes (apr) may tighten up shifts. Not sure though. It's actually the best auto I've driven in years. So I'm quite pleased. But a little 2nd gear bark would be hilarious. Lol

Don't really want to break it either. But a little more fun is what I'm after. Thanks for the info so far it's appreciated!

One last question: what was the deciding factor between jb1 over DINAN and neuspeed?

9. 05-19-2017 09:37 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Vwaterhead View Post
      I like that it doesn't operate like the dsg. For the traffic I'm in daily (Chicago city to burbs and back) it would drive me nuts in off idle and braking. I usually have it in S when driving in the city just to make it less likely to upshift when I have to dodge cars and people and cyclists and potholes and meteors etc. I've read where some of the tunes (apr) may tighten up shifts. Not sure though. It's actually the best auto I've driven in years. So I'm quite pleased. But a little 2nd gear bark would be hilarious. Lol

Don't really want to break it either. But a little more fun is what I'm after. Thanks for the info so far it's appreciated!

One last question: what was the deciding factor between jb1 over DINAN and neuspeed?

I was not even aware of the DINAN unit at the time. When I was researching I saw several positive reviews for the JB1, and almost no reviews for the Neuspeed. I also liked that the jb1 had the option of connecting to a phone for tweaking settings while i understood the neuspeed was not adjustable. Just going from memory here...so please confirm if you are debating between the units.

For advertising information click HERE