VWVortex.com - Cheap coilovers... How cheap is to cheap??
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cheap coilovers... How cheap is to cheap??

Vehicles
      1991 Golf Diesel
      01-08-2017 01:31 AM #1
      So I've been looking at some of the cheap coilovers on Ebay.
      Some look OK, while others are pretty bad.
      The ones on my 91' Golf were installed by the PO, but they are pretty wore out.
      I like the form, and function coilovers.
      I have run them before.
      But there's lots of other brands for less than half what the F&F cost.

I guess my question would be, is there any brands I should avoid!?!?
      Or should I just flip the bucks for the good stuff?

Vehicles
      87 Jetta Coupe getting K20 Swap, 99 Accord Coupe DD, 83 Celica GT-S future project
      01-08-2017 01:56 AM #2
      I have 11 years on my H&R coilovers and I've told myself time and again that I would buy them again. When I bought them, there were no cheap coilovers available for VW like there is now. Back then it was just Jap cars that had all the China Cheaps. I've just been so happy with what I have and it seem anything less does the titty-jiggler bounce ride.
      I used my 6 years of Mk2 hobbyist training to become a professional tech in 2006, but that makes you not want to work on your car as much.
      YouTube channel of my cars, blown up cars from work, and some of the more interesting work I've done

Vehicles
      1991 Golf Diesel
      01-08-2017 02:47 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by fopeano View Post
      I have 11 years on my H&R coilovers and I've told myself time and again that I would buy them again. When I bought them, there were no cheap coilovers available for VW like there is now. Back then it was just Jap cars that had all the China Cheaps. I've just been so happy with what I have and it seem anything less does the titty-jiggler bounce ride.
      Lol!
      Titty-jiggler!!
      I had the F&F f1 coilovers on a 91' Honda CB7. I drove that car 37,000kms in one summer. I thought they rode good! A bit stiff, on rough roads. But over all they were good...
      That being said, they weren't the cheapest out there either.
      I ran the Megan EZ street II coilovers on my daily driven 08' Chrysler 300. They were way nicer than stock, but also really expensive!
      It might just boil down to ride quality of what you pay for?
      Cheap coilovers, cheap ****y ride..
      But I'm feeling pretty cheap!!

4. 01-08-2017 09:36 AM #4
      Save your money ... and buy h and r springs and some bilstein struts .... your back .... and your car .... and your wife will thank you very much for it .... I cheaper out this last time . . And I'm replacing them already ..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
      92' MK2 4door GL - Vr swap + Oem Build in progress!

Vehicles
      1991 Golf Diesel
      01-08-2017 06:01 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by L0w n slow View Post
      Save your money ... and buy h and r springs and some bilstein struts .... your back .... and your car .... and your wife will thank you very much for it .... I cheaper out this last time . . And I'm replacing them already ..

I don't really want just springs though.
      I have 3 diffrent sets of wheels, and wanted to be able to dial in my ride height with each different set.
      Thats why I wanted coilovers.

6. 01-08-2017 06:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Mathius View Post
      I don't really want just springs though.
      I have 3 diffrent sets of wheels, and wanted to be able to dial in my ride height with each different set.
      Thats why I wanted coilovers.
      Then honestly I would save the coin because when u go low .... the quality will show.

92' MK2 4door GL - Vr swap + Oem Build in progress!

7. 01-08-2017 06:46 PM #7
      just buy what you want..the only advice is to test cheap coilovers yourself.

Vehicles
      1991 Golf Diesel
      01-08-2017 09:24 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by vr6fanboy View Post
      just buy what you want..the only advice is to test cheap coilovers yourself.
      Well I was kinda hoping some one could steer me towards good cheap ones, or away from brands to avoid.
      But I found a company out of London that sells some decent looking ones, with dual springs, and adjustable dampening.
      Their cheap, but not really cheap.. lol

9. 01-08-2017 10:55 PM #9
      That's mainly been what I have been finding, is "cheap" coil overs go for around 400-500 for the pack of four, while buying brand name well renowned such as F&F can easily be 800+

I had a friend with a mk2 golf and we were on our way down from a local skiing hill. Every turn he made you could hear a loud "twang" from his front right wheel. He bought his off "Ali express" (chinebay) for $300. Cheap ones tend to make noise, handle poorly, and fail soon.

Moral of the story... Find good ones for the best price you can.

Vehicles
      07 GLI / 08 Rabbit / 89 Coupe
      01-09-2017 01:28 AM #10
      Buy a quality set used. Look for a set of STs, which are KW V1s in a different housing. There are no "good" cheap coilovers.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1991 Golf Diesel
      01-09-2017 03:12 AM #11
      Well this didn't turn out as I expected.. lol
      I was kinda hoping to save a few hundred bucks to put somewhere else. But I guess cheap is cheap, and you get what you pay for!
      I'll just flip the extra $400 for the F&F.. I know their good.

12. Banner Advertiser CarNut84GTi's Avatar
      Vehicles
      84 GTI, 09 A3 2.0T Quattro
      01-09-2017 06:30 PM #12
      There are some more entry level priced kits that are actually pretty decent. The question is, what do you want out of the coilovers? If your just looking for a nice drop and decent ride, they can fill the bill. If your looking for a kit to auto-x or do track days, the cheapest kit I would recommend would be ST's.

We can hook you up with a variety of options, just need to know your uses before I can recommend
      www.VDubWarehouse.com Contact: 775-342-9591
      Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/vdubwarehouse
      Great Deals on WRD, Koni, H&R, Neuspeed, APR, SPEC, Techtonics Tuning, Eurospec Sport, and more!

My 09 A3 Quattro Build

Vehicles
      Spaceship
      01-11-2017 03:16 PM #13
      CXracing, best bang for the buck for budget coils. Albeit you can find used Ultra Lows for ~$100 more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CXRACING-32-...BSy2tT&vxp=mtr
      IG: @fuckkingamir

Quote Originally Posted by Moofluffen View Post
      King > Charlie Sheen

Vehicles
      1990 Golf GL; 1990 Jetta GLI 16VG60
      01-11-2017 04:50 PM #14
      I also asked the same question, and to reinforce what has already been said, I got a complete set of ST coilovers for a pretty good price. Wait for the holiday sales and pounce. Black Friday? MLK day? Spring Sale? Pounce.

I can't wait to put my STs on.
      Best 4x100 Thread! Show What You Got!
      Build Thread: Victoria, My 1990 Jetta GLI
      Build Thread: Milan, my 1990 Golf GL

21 years old and a 16VG60 engine that FINALLY runs & idles. Now onto the next project!

Vehicles
      1982 BMW 320i, 1986 Jetta Carat 1.8/ABA Turbo
      01-12-2017 07:56 AM #15
      I'm running a very cost friendly JOM Blueline. They far exceed what I was expecting, they ride firm but not choppy at all. My good friend has KW V1's and his are choppy and so stiff the car has a gansta bounce, so I was expecting this is what the JOMs would do. (His car is also lower then mine, so that could be the reason) But luckily enough mine don't do any of the the chop/bounce, in fact they are a lot like my old cup kit, just adjustable.
      Here's another fellow quite happy with his as well.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nd-the-Corrado

I have the #741000 heavier dampened set for MK3/Corrado (The Mk2 4cyl number is #74105) You need a pair of MK4 Strut mount kits to install these as well.

I read the bodys aren't stainless, just polished steel, so they will start to surface very fast. To counter that I simply masked off the threads and used a spray can clear coat on the strut bodys, and then coated the thread in anti-sieze. No issues at all yet, still look new.

The best way to buy them is right off German ebay, it makes them so cheap it's a robbery.

You go to Ebay.de, and search for" JOM Blueline Gewindefahrwerk Golf 2 "
      (or Golf 3, Corrado, etc but all will likely show up in the same listings, important parts here are Golf and coilover = Gewindefahrwerk)

Once you do that go to the top right corner and click "Sortieren" and then click "Niedrigster Preis inkl. Versand" (Sort by price lowest incl. shipping)

Now it gets way easier, open on of the top listings, and simply change the URL address from .de, to .com or.ca if you're a fellow canuck.

Original German Listing.
      http://www.ebay.de/itm/JOM-Blueline-...4AAOSwmtJXYcDy

$240 US Shipped
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/JOM-Blueline...4AAOSwmtJXYcDy

$320 Canadian shipped
      http://www.ebay.ca/itm/JOM-Blueline-...4AAOSwmtJXYcDy

Is there better? 100%, I would Kill for a set of KW V3, or H&R monotubes. But at this stupid low price, these are a hell of a value and far exceed what you might get elsewhere at this price.
      "Criminally insane, with a few brief lucid intervals."
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

Vehicles
      89 GLI
      01-12-2017 06:29 PM #16
      I bought a set of used koni coilovers for $300. They are probably several years old with bunch of miles on them, and ride better than my $500 fk coilovers on my old mk3 jetta and my $700 megan racing ez streets I had on my miata. Its just better to go with the known name brand ones like, koni, H&R, KW.

17. 01-13-2017 09:47 PM #17
      The older you get, the more you figure out there are exceptions to popular beliefs. The definition of "quality" to me is not directly related to price. The operative word here is "value." You do not always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more, sometimes you get less. I've been fooled before by a high price, I've also been surprised by a lower price. Quality is often associated with branding... Something off brand is often viewed as lower quality than a popular brand. Look past the brand... What characteristics of the coilovers are associated exactly with high quality?

Warranty?
      Spring rates?
      Surface finish?
      Shock body material?
      Tuv approval?
      Testimonials?

I personally don't see the value in spending more than $500 on suspension for a street car toy when I can check all my boxes for less. I bought bargain coils 8yrs ago. They don't leak, they don't bounce and they haven't rusted. Someone tried to trade me leaking h&r coilovers straight up. You can guess what I said...
      No.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
      Bumblebee Tuna

Vehicles
      1982 BMW 320i, 1986 Jetta Carat 1.8/ABA Turbo
      01-16-2017 07:32 AM #18
      ^Agreed.

It should also be noted with my post, I'm not trying to sell you on super cheap coilovers, I was just showing you how you can buy coilovers sold here in North America for over $400 ($600 CDN), for almost half that right out of Germany. It probably works for brands other than JOM too.

$429.95 from ECS
      https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Volks...991_1992_1993/

$419.00 from PGP
      http://pgperformance.com/jom-coilove...3-corrado.html
      "Criminally insane, with a few brief lucid intervals."
      | Rust | Zip-Ties | JB Weld | Bad Idle | Scrapes Ground | Rubs when Turning | Busted Ass Door handles |

For advertising information click HERE