VWVortex.com - Volkswagen I.D. Buzz concept revealed in Detroit - An AWD, electric (270-mile range), autonomous Microbus for a new era
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Volkswagen I.D. Buzz concept revealed in Detroit - An AWD, electric (270-mile range), autonomous Microbus for a new era

01-09-2017 05:34 PM #26
      Much better than expected

Vehicles
      13 Q7, 64 Impala SS, 17 Tiguan
      01-09-2017 06:12 PM #27
      40 Ford Panel RIP | 50 Ford Custom sold | 51 Chevy PU sold | 64 Chevy Belair sold | 64 Impala SS current | 67 Mercedes 250S RIP | 2 x 76 BMW 2002 sold | 85 Volvo 240DL wag RIP | 85 BMW 325e sold | 88.5 Samurai sold | 91 Subaru Legacy sold | 92 BMW 318is RIP | 99 VW GTI sold | 01 Audi TT RIP | 03 Audi A4 sold | 03 Jag X 3.0 sold | 05 BMW 330xi sold | 06 Audi A3 sold | 12 BMW 135i sold | 13 GTI sold | 13 Q7 current | 17 Tiguan current

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      01-09-2017 09:22 PM #28
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

4. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-09-2017 11:42 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      Frunk!

Something the original never had. No space. Hell, on the old ones you could rest your foot on the headlight bucket. No, I'm not kidding.

Also, is that inside or outside access?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      01-10-2017 12:00 AM #30

By 2025, we want to be selling one million of these vehicles annually.

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-10-2017 08:03 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Now does it come with a soundaktor to replicate the one-ofa-kind air cooled thwaaaaaaap?
      They don't tweet like a Beetle, but I'd accept that sound anyway.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      01-18-2017 08:40 PM #32
      "#Volkswagen sources confirm management will sign off on series production of #IDBuzz concept shown in Detroit"

via Automotive News Europe
      It will take another five years but fans of the classic VW Bus can finally look forward to a return of the model, sources at Volkswagen confirm.

VW brand chief Herbert Diess is a fan of the Bus-styled I.D. Buzz concept, in part because the predecessor is a feel-good throwback to the days when VW stood for flower power, not toxic pollutants.

The original "T1" Microbus that began life in 1950, technically called the Transporter but known in Germany as the Bulli, is one of those few VW models that comes to define a segment or even a generation much like the Beetle or the Golf. One of the designers on the I.D. Buzz project even claimed the VW Bus holds the record for the most often sold toy car and the Samba version is a collector's item for classic car enthusiasts.

So while the I.D. hatchback first shown at last year's Paris auto show is the new Golf for the next decade, this Buzz concept embodies the characteristics of a post-Dieselgate "New Volkswagen" better than any model shown since the scandal broke late 2015.

Its design evokes a modern purity with a clean dashboard purged of the usual console equipment in favor of a single central control tablet and a windshield that boasts an embedded augmented reality display.

The greenhouse, larger than that of normal minivans, emphasizes transparency with plenty of natural light thanks to the large glass side windows and a massive skyroof.

Emissions are zero thanks to its pure electric drive powered by a 111 kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery, bigger than the largest offered on a Tesla Model X. (Indirect carbon emissions from the production of batteries in general remain however substantial and are an often overlooked aspect of the well-to-wheel carbon footprint of EVs).

Clean, transparent, likable

Best of all its cheerful face can literally light up into a friendly smile. Clean, transparent, likable - the Buzz pretty much sums up VW’s new brand positioning strategy.

Only through the new MEB architecture with the battery on the floor could the iconic front looks largely be reconstructed while still adhering to today's pedestrian crash regulations. The reason why the original T1s had that essentially flat nose was due to its Beetle-like rear engine layout, which was abandoned nearly thirty years ago when the fourth generation Transporter "T4" debuted in 1990.

The new Microbus will closely resemble the iconic T1 of the 1950s.

Sources say the I.D. Buzz concept is very close to what could be built starting 2022. Only the retractable steering wheel and the front row of side windows, which cannot be rolled down in the concept, were show gimmicks. New elements however like the VW logo made out of glass that can light up are new styling cues that may make it into serial production.

While an EV hatchback and SUV are already confirmed for the VW badge, the head of brand design, Klaus Bischoff, was worried whether the Buzz would go into production. When asked, one VW source said: "I know what you're going to ask and the answer is 2022. Diess wants it."

That just leaves one question. Will VW's commercial vehicles unit profit at all from this? Traditionally all Transporters have rolled off the assembly line in VW's plant in Hanover, Germany, ever since the plant began operation in 1956, later expanding production to include models such as the "LT" heavy duty commercial van (now called the Crafter). At the turn of the millennium, the commercial vehicles business was then spun off into its own division, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, which is currently run by Eckhard Scholz.

When asked whether VW brand might have to pay Scholz's commercial vehicles unit a fee to build an electric VW Bus based on the design and look of the original rear-engine Transporter, an official for the sister division replied: "The Bulli is an icon both for Volkswagen, where it was invented and initially built, as well as for Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, where it is built until today. The question regarding licenses really hasn't come up.”
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

8. 01-18-2017 09:53 PM #33
      "Only the retractable steering wheel and the front row of side windows, which cannot be rolled down in the concept, were show gimmicks"

Well, not quite.

It's going to need outside rear-view mirrors (unless NHTSA changes its regulations), and sensible wheel and tire sizes, and the front seats won't be able to swivel around while in motion (crash safety). And I have my doubts about the lighted strip all the way around the bodywork. And it will probably need door handles.

But still ... They could build something pretty close to this concept, even taking into account what changes they have to make to satisfy regulations, and it would STILL be a good thing.

9. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-18-2017 10:14 PM #34
      My only concern is visibility. With that double A-pillar it looks like forward visibility is severely hampered when you looks slightly left of center. Other than that and the silly show car details I'm on board.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      01-18-2017 10:24 PM #35
      Ohwell.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      01-19-2017 09:11 AM #36
      My concern, of course, is that they're going to wait until 2022ish to actually get the thing on the road, because they're going to insist on waiting until the autonomous tech is fully baked before putting it on sale. What they need to do is get this on sale in two years, autonomous or not. Hell, they need it on sale THIS year.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Vehicles
      01-19-2017 10:08 AM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      It's going to need outside rear-view mirrors (unless NHTSA changes its regulations), and sensible wheel and tire sizes, and the front seats won't be able to swivel around while in motion (crash safety). And I have my doubts about the lighted strip all the way around the bodywork. And it will probably need door handles.
      All of those problems could be a non-issue a few years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      My only concern is visibility. With that double A-pillar it looks like forward visibility is severely hampered when you looks slightly left of center. Other than that and the silly show car details I'm on board.
      They could do some quarter-window trickery, kind of like what the Impreza has:

Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      My concern, of course, is that they're going to wait until 2022ish to actually get the thing on the road, because they're going to insist on waiting until the autonomous tech is fully baked before putting it on sale. What they need to do is get this on sale in two years, autonomous or not. Hell, they need it on sale THIS year.
      There is no way they could get a production version of this out before 2020.
      |||||||

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      01-19-2017 10:16 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
      "Only the retractable steering wheel and the front row of side windows, which cannot be rolled down in the concept, were show gimmicks"

Well, not quite.

But still ... They could build something pretty close to this concept, even taking into account what changes they have to make to satisfy regulations, and it would STILL be a good thing.
      The wheels are probably do-able if they go big but narrow like the BMW i3.

The VW XL1 uses cameras rather than mirrors which passes safety checks in Euro markets.

This might end up never coming to NA.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

01-19-2017 10:20 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      They don't tweet like a Beetle, but I'd accept that sound anyway.
      The correct sound is fweem.

Chris
      | 2017 Korean Appliance SE | 2008 Suburban LTZ | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1974 SuperBeetle x 2 | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

Vehicles
      03-09-2017 10:10 AM #40
      via Autocar
      Volkswagen is close to greenlighting its Microbus-inspired ID Buzz concept, with public reaction set to determine whether it goes into production.

"The concept has been well-received in the US and Europe," said design chief Klaus Bischoff, "but the missing link is China. From the business case point of view it’s quite an investment – it needs a global green light. In the meantime, it’s thumbs up."

Bischoff admitted that the design of the ID Buzz, which is the same length as a long-wheelbase Caravelle, is currently being worked on. "It’s more than a skin, and more than a show car," he added. "Maybe it will shrink a little, but inside it is much bigger."

The ID Buzz is the third Microbus concept, but the previous two never made production. "I've tried quite a bit to bring this [the Microbus] to life," Bischoff said. "This is the final temptation."

The Buzz will be followed by an electric SUV concept for the Shanghai motor show, followed by a saloon concept later this year. The SUV will look "non-aggressive but self-confident," according to Bischoff, while a "surprise" is promised for the saloon, which apparently prompted 'wows' from colleagues on seeing it for the first time.
      |||||||

Vehicles
      2012 FIAT 500 Abarth, 1996 BMW 328i
      03-09-2017 12:07 PM #41
      Ah, it looks like their getting their excuse to not make it out of the way.

17. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-09-2017 12:26 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Ah, it looks like they're getting their excuse to not make it out of the way.
      Don't even say that!

Wait... If TCL says "it'll never happen" often enough, perhaps it'll happen!

There were solid reasons not to produce the three previous versions, but this one seems a good fit for the times and is one of the coolest designs they've come up with. This and the Bulli were my favs.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 10:16 AM #43
      via Auto Express
      Volkswagen's boss has confirmed the company will build a Microbus-style production car with design cues from the classic T1 and T2 buses - as part of its 'ID' range of electric vehicles.

Speaking at the reveal of the new VW Polo, VW boss Herbert Diess told Auto Express: "Emotional cars are very important for the brand. We are selling loads of Beetles still, particularly in US markets. But we will also have the Microbus that we showed, which we have recently decided we will build."

Built on the new MEB platform, this EV MPV product family was previewed by the ID Buzz concept at the 2017 Detroit Motor Show.

Speaking at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, VW design boss Oliver Stefani told Auto Express, “We would like to bring this back because it fits so well to what the brand stands for: it’s emotional, it has functionality, it makes your life easier.”

“With the MEB platform this is the chance now to get the proportions back,” he added, referring to the fact that you don’t need to have an engine in the front with an EV. “But you can also get much more interior space, almost one class higher.”

Stefani compared the ID Buzz to the Renault Scenic, as an MPV that attempts to rival SUVs with a jacked-up look. “The French also try these alternatives with MPV crossed with SUV," he said. "Honestly, nobody goes into the woods with an SUV.”

He also hinted at further variations on the same vehicle, as with the original bus. “The T1 also had some family members, like the pick-up, the camper, the Samba," Stefani said, "so I think there are a lot of possibilities with this car.”
      |||||||

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2006 GLI, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      06-19-2017 11:41 AM #44
      Current feelings on this news: heavily guarded.

Here's a helpful graphic that shows the production journey for a modern Microbus:

06-19-2017 12:42 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post
      via Auto Express

Quote Originally Posted by article
      He also hinted at further variations on the same vehicle, as with the original bus. “The T1 also had some family members, like the pick-up, the camper, the Samba," Stefani said, "so I think there are a lot of possibilities with this car.”
      Tristar pickup would make up for torturing us for 20 years

06-19-2017 01:00 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by DJMRDARK View Post
      So sick of this vaporware bullsh1t....

/thread

Nice portfolio piece for the designer though.

22. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      06-19-2017 02:11 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by green tea View Post
      /thread

Nice portfolio piece for the designer though.
      Honestly? I think this one is going to make it (and I thought so before this article broke). The Microbus concept from 2003 (or whenever) would have to have been built in Hanover and would have primarily been for the U.S. market, making it around $40,000 to start back then (and I never warmed to that design, anyway). The Bulli was very cool and was new enough to be MQB, but not too long after it made its debut the small overlap crash tests killed the shape of that one, so it was nixed. Then it seems like there was some ugly one, then this. This is designed with modern crash standards and is already set up for their MEB chassis, making it much easier to produce.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding my breath, but it's the most optimistic I've been in a long time. The Bulli had me for a while, but Jamie explained what happened and I grew to accept it.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12