VWVortex.com - MK4 Monsoon double-din parasitic draw
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: MK4 Monsoon double-din parasitic draw

1. Member
      01-09-2017 03:20 AM #1
      I've googled, read a ton about this issue and most of it has been about the monsoon amp draining the battery because a aftermarket head unit isn't hooked up right. Well, I don't have an aftermarket head unit and I'm pretty sure my factory monsoon radio/cd player is f*cked. I've done many parasitic draw tests so far: I've disconnected the wiring harnesses to the amp and tested the mA ~ 0.280. Pulled fuse #42 and tested ~ only 0.042 mA. Unplugged the radio while fuse #42 was still installed ~ 0.042mA. This leads me to believe that the head unit is faulty and draining my battery. The only other thing I haven't tested is the antenna amplifier. Not sure how to go about that. What are your guys' thoughts? It's just so weird that the radio could have crapped out of nowhere.

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 02 Passat NevarLose wagon; '12 Fusion SEL (wife's.) Past: '86 QSW, '87 Golf
      01-09-2017 11:24 AM #2
      I'd say that your diag is solid - the HU crapped itself.
      And, these things to tend to happen "out of nowhere" - remember, it's, what, 15 years old?, electronics failures do happen.

Antenna amp isn't likely - if that's wired how it is on my B5.5 Passat, the radio doesn't even power that. It (at least, mine) has a dedicated power supply. But, even if the radio does power it, well.... if the antenna amp is "on" when it shouldn't be, it's the radio's fault.

Look at it this way - it's a good excuse to upgrade to a modern HU. A nice unit, with a good EQ (like a 13-band), really makes a huge difference in audio quality on these.
      Plus, features! Bluetooth, HD radio (maybe), USB.....
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 4
      things currently broken (Passat): 4

3. Member
      01-10-2017 05:54 AM #3
      Thanks for your input!

I would upgrade to a modern HU if I didn't have other problems with this car. I don't want to put more $ into it than I have to, and I've been toying with the idea of trading it in.

However, if I can find a good deal on a newer double-din VW HU that is mostly plug and play, I might consider it. Otherwise I'll just buy another cheap OEM one.

For advertising information click HERE