VWVortex.com - 2007 VW Passat Engine Swap - 2.5L for 2.0T
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2007 VW Passat Engine Swap - 2.5L for 2.0T

Vehicles
      66 Mustang, 02 Golf TDI 5 sp, 05 Jetta TDI 5 sp, 07 Passat Wagon 2.0T Auto
      05-19-2017 11:07 AM #51
      Nice work!
      Maybe I missed it, but just for kicks and giggles would you be able to post a picture of the engine in the Passat? Always nice to see the visual component of things.
      Owning a VW is like having a hot girlfriend that's mentally unstable

2. 05-20-2017 08:26 AM #52
      Yes najel, I'm going to try and eventually post some pictures ... unfortunately, you can't post pictures directly to this forum, I've got to post them to an external site. But I'll do that, along with a summary of how it actually drives and runs. The engine fits fine, it fits in the engine bay nicely ... but there's not much room to spare!

Given the reliability of the 2.5L 5-cyl. engine ... NOW I would have the peace-of-mind to drive it across the country ... I couldn't say that before with the 2.0t FSI (or TSI) engine.

Since this is the first I've been able to actually drive the car ... I'm finding all kinds of OTHER problems (unrelated to the engine swap) that I've got to fix ... I won't document them in detail here since they don't really relate to the swap. As I said before, I bought this car in boxes, and it sat for at least two years that I know of ...

1. Both rear coil springs were broken, that was the "clunk" I was hearing
      2. One rear wheel bearing was bad (maybe causing the ABS error?)
      3. One horn didn't work
      4. 3 of the door hinges were bad
      5. Various light bulbs burnt out
      6. Dome light faceplate broken
      7. The rubber seals in both rear brake calipers were gone
      8. Black paint pealing from door locks and radio knobs.
      9. Headliner needs repaired around front center overhead light
      10. And probably many other items I haven't uncovered yet

By the way, when I went to Pull-a-Part yesterday to get the rear brake calipers from the 2008 Passat they have ... I found some 17" x 8" alloy wheels from a 2002 Audi A8 (same bolt pattern as B6 Passat) in excellent shape ... for about $34 each! ... I know they weren't "necessary" ... but I couldn't resist! I just hope the 2002 Audi TPMS Tire Pressure Sensors work with the 2007 Passat TPMS System.

I want to fix all the safety related things first before I put any more miles on the car. Next week I'll start to document what you'll need to do this swap ... as I said, it's really not that hard.
      Last edited by Geoffzie; 05-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.

3. 05-22-2017 08:06 PM #53
      Today, I replaced the rear wheel bearing and both of the rear brake calipers. I found out that because of the electric Parking Brake, you've got to apply 12V to the EPC to collapse the piston to reinstall the caliper. I also replaced both rear coil springs with the ones I got from Akron Pull-a-Part. I also installed the Audi A8 wheels with 215-55 x 17" tires on the rear (I'll do the fronts tomorrow).

- $7.46 for both the rear calipers (the rubber piston boots were in excellent shape)
      - $29.71 for both rear springs (also in very good shape)

The emergency brake now works ... although I discovered that the brake lights are on all the time! From what I've read, it could be the brake light switch ... which would also explain why the cruise control will turn on, but it won't "Set". I'll also get into that tomorrow, since I also picked up a brake light switch from the same Passat at Pull-a-Part.

The only flaw that I discovered so far ... it's REALLY hard to get to the brake master cylinder to fill it with brake fluid! The engine cover for the 2.5L REALLY fills up the engine bay!

Driving Impressions:

With the "clunk" from the rear springs gone ... and the "whirl" from the bad rear wheel bearing gone ... the car is actually a pleasure to drive! I put another 20 miles on it today ... both back roads and freeway. I haven't driven any kind of a VW ... since I had my 1969 VW Beetle! MY how Volkswagens have changed!

The car is solid and quiet ... although the 5-cyl. engine has that distinctive "rasp" when you rev it a bit. Since I never was able to drive the car with the 2.0t turbo engine ... I don't really have anything to compare it to ... although I realize it IS down some HP and Torque (2.0t = 200HP vs. 2.5L = 170HP). But this car seems quicker than my 2004 Toyota Sienna van with a 230hp V6 (although the Sienna is somewhat heavier) ... although I'm not really a led-foot.

The transmission shifts smooth but firm ... usually at around 2000 - 3000 RPM during normal driving. Sometimes when you use a torque converter from a different engine, it can mess with your shift points (because of different engine torque ratings). I don't know what all of you experience as far as normal shift points with the 2.0t auto.

Like I've said before ... the BIGGEST plus with this conversion is ... RELIABILITY!

Once I get the remaining problems remedied ... I'll take the car to the local VW dealership ... and see if they'll honor their 12-year rust-through warranty, and spring for a new paint job!

4. 05-24-2017 06:56 PM #54
      I've finally posted some pictures of this swap on Flickr ... let me know if the link doesn't work or you can't see the pictures. My comments on each picture are below each picture ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150015141@N07/

More pictures to come!
      Last edited by Geoffzie; Today at 08:07 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      05-24-2017 07:55 PM #55
      Wow, looks great! If I didn't know that the B6 Passat never came with the 2.5 I'd think it was original!

Nice score on the Audi wheels. FYI you can totally disable TPMS or change it to the ABS-sensor based type using VAG-COM. If you do the latter you'll either need to reset it using VAG-COM if a warning comes up, or wire in a reset button from a later-model VW.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

6. 05-24-2017 09:39 PM #56
      One of my primary goals with this project was to make it look as "factory" as I could ... and have everything work as it should. I'm still working on the second part of that!

I know that the 2012 and newer Passats were available with the 2.5 ... and I even tried using a 2012 Passat 2.5 ECU initially. But there were several problems with that ... the primary problem being that I couldn't fine anyone who could disable the immobilizer on the 2012 ECU with the ME17.5.6 system.

I've also read that the TPMS could be changed to the ABS sensor system through VAG-COM.

When they mounted the tires on the Audi rims, I checked the part number of the TPMS Sensors ... and unfortunately, they won't work with the Passat TPM System (433Mhz vs. 333Mhz). The other problem is that, even though the tires are the same size all around ... they're a different brand on the front than the rear. So I would think it might set the ABS-TPMS System off.

I may just disable the system altogether ... I check my tire pressures regularly anyways. I can see that I'm going to have to break down and get VAG-COM though.

The primary problem that I'm having right now is ... the brake lights are on whenever the ignition is on! I know it's been this way since before I even put the engine in ... so it may have been a pre-existing problem. I just wasn't concerned with it back then because I had so many other "mountains" to climb in this swap!

I'm also now getting a flashing red "BRAKE" warning with "dings" ... although the emergency brake seems to work fine. I've replaced the brake light switch (it's attached to the underside of the master cylinder) ... no change. There's also another 4-wire switch mounted on the brake booster ... don't have a clue what that is.

Once again, I imagine VAG-COM would help tremendously here!

7. Today 08:10 AM #57
      I fixed the flickr photo link above ... sometimes, you could only see one photo.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123