VWVortex.com - Parents, is there one car to rule them all?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Parents, is there one car to rule them all?

1. 01-11-2017 09:44 AM #1
      Hello Everyone. This is my first post so bear with me. I currently own a tuned 2016 Fiesta ST and a APR stage 1 2008 VW GLI with DSG. Recently, my wife and I just bought a condo near NYC and are considering starting a family. We have one dedicated parking spot (although it's small) and street parking is a pain. My wife takes public transportation and I drive to work often times in traffic. We've decided to sell both cars and get one car we can park in our spot and both use. She doesn't drive manual so sadly I'll need to go DSG. I've read the other threads saying GTI/R is big enough for a family, but most say it's better as a second car. So here's my question; if you could only own one car to haul family, daily drive, and still be fun to drive on the weekends, what would it be (I'd rather not have an SUV)? The inlaws are only 30 min away and have cribs and other stuff available from other nephews so no need to haul that stuff. My family is 1000 miles away, so would need to fly anyways. Here's what I'm considering.

GTI with PP: Can get good deals on this, so can invest in summer/winter tires. Is it big enough for a family of 3-4? Also, debating going AWD since I've only ever owned FWD and want to try something different. Probably get a roof rack and cargo box.

Sportwagen: Less fun, but more practical. Upper model doesn't have 4motion and one with DSG only comes in base model. Probably not going to work.

Alltrack: has the AWD and DSG. Can go to APR stage 1. Still expensive since it's new. Doesn't come with lighting package which sucks.

Golf R: Made in Germany. Has DCC which I'm very interested in. Still very expensive, but could possibly buy used. This is what I want, but not sure if it's total overkill for what I need considering 70% of my driving is stop and go. Also not sure if it's big enough as our only car.

Any other non-VW suggestions? Again, sorry for the long thread, but needing advise from parents since I have no clue what to expect.

Cheers!

2. n00b
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf SportWagen 4motion DSG with DAP
      01-11-2017 01:23 PM #2
      If you're not hauling a lot, I think a 4 door GTI is totally reasonable for a 2 adult, 2 kid family. You'll find that while the kids are in booster seats, they may kick the back of the front seats. I think the bigger issue in the GTI back seat may be how bumpy/harsh the ride can feel, especially dependent on which tires/wheels you have on it.

I've sat in the back of my coworker's GTI without any issues. 2012 GTI, I'm about 5'8".

3. 01-13-2017 05:29 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfunkg View Post
      If you're not hauling a lot, I think a 4 door GTI is totally reasonable for a 2 adult, 2 kid family. You'll find that while the kids are in booster seats, they may kick the back of the front seats. I think the bigger issue in the GTI back seat may be how bumpy/harsh the ride can feel, especially dependent on which tires/wheels you have on it.

I've sat in the back of my coworker's GTI without any issues. 2012 GTI, I'm about 5'8".
      The harsh ride is actually why I'm interested in the DCC of the Golf R. I know I can get that in the GTI too, but if I'm getting the top GTI, I may just spring for the R. Do you think I'd have issues with rear facing seats? I'm 6' and my wife is 5' 10". Also, is the cargo area big enough for a stroller and a couple day bags? On longer trips, I know I'd need a cargo box on top which I'm fine with.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport, 2016 C-Max, 2011 Golf TDI (gone), 2013 Passat TDI (gone)
      01-15-2017 02:16 PM #4
      A Jetta GLI would give you a lot more rear seat and trunk room than a GTI or Golf R. APR tunes would get you close to 300 hp.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Tiguan SEL, Candy White/ 2009 GTI, Candy White
      01-17-2017 07:27 PM #5
      Might be worth a look. Our Tiguan met our definition of "family car." It's safe, efficient roomy, powerful and compact. It came to us after the car seat era, but others have found it easier to manipulate child seats and buckles with a higher seating height. The Tiguan's rear doors are narrow, so try that for yourself. Our Tiguan SEL handles with great assurance, but the ride is, frankly, punishing, especially in the rear. I'd recommend against the sports suspension and 19-inch wheels listed on our 2013- combined with a high ride height, unless your roads tend to be smooth.

For advertising information click HERE