VWVortex.com - Troubleshooting Onkyo TX-SR309 audio
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Troubleshooting Onkyo TX-SR309 audio

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      01-19-2017 08:44 PM #1
      Okay, so here's what I have:

Vizio 70" e-series
      Onkyo TX-SR309 w/ 5.1
      Xbox 360
      DirecTV genie
      Sony BR (wireless)

All HDMI connected to the receiver, the one output to the TV; HDMI cables are random HDMI I've picked up over the years. No optical audio. No component/composite connections.

Issue: Upon startup of any source (TV/Xbox/BR), sound is non-existent. If I cycle through speaker A and speaker B, sometimes it comes on after a few seconds. Other times I set the audio source to HDMI : PCM and the sound comes on. Sometimes I set it to HDMI : PCM and then back to HDMI and the sound comes on. Sometimes I turn it off an on after changing the setting and the sound comes on. Sometimes I cycle through Direct, Theater-Dimension, Stereo, Mono, etc., and the sound comes on.

We recently moved, and added the new TV, and that's when the trouble started. Could the TV be f**king things up? And if so, does anyone have a solution?

This receiver is about 4 years old, and I'm not opposed to upgrading in the future.

Anyone have any ideas?
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

2. 01-19-2017 09:14 PM #2
      It's probably the notorious Onkyo HDMI switching board failure. Onkyo did offer to extend warranties on their receivers. It pissed me off so much when it happened to mine (before the warranty extension happened) that I went with a Pioneer and gave my old Onkyo away to a buddy who fixes receivers as a hobby and he trades or resells them.

Here's some information on the problem :

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.
      We deeply regret any frustration or inconvenience this situation may have caused.
      To address the problem and help people who may have an impacted receiver, Onkyo is launching a special Customer Care Program to remedy this issue for those receivers that may be affected by this loss of audio/network connection issue. This program has three steps:
      1. Verify if your Onkyo receiver is impacted
      2. Decide how you prefer to address the issue
      3. Send us your receiver in a prepaid box and label that we will provide at no cost to you
      As part of this program we are also extending our standard limited warranty period to cover this issue for affected receivers through December 31, 2018. All other terms, conditions and limitations of the original limited warranty shall continue to apply for the duration of the original standard limited warranty.
      Importantly, please note that the loss of audio/network connection issue will not result in harm to any connected components or speakers since the issue is contained to a single element within the affected receivers.
      To determine if your receiver is eligible under this Customer Care Program please click here
      Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program for US and Canada customers
      We thank you for your loyalty!
      Onkyo again apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause and will provide this repair as expeditiously as possible.

Vehicles
      01-19-2017 09:44 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by sullie View Post
      It's probably the notorious Onkyo HDMI switching board failure. Onkyo did offer to extend warranties on their receivers. It pissed me off so much when it happened to mine (before the warranty extension happened) that I went with a Pioneer and gave my old Onkyo away to a buddy who fixes receivers as a hobby and he trades or resells them.

Here's some information on the problem :

https://repair.onkyousa.com/na/
      According to the Onkyo repair site, my unit does not need to be updated. It's a refurb from Accessories4Less.

Oh, I looked up when I bought it. 09/28/2012.

4. 01-23-2017 12:34 PM #4
      This guy talks about replacing capacitors on the hdmi switching board which I think is ultimately the repair that will resolve the issue. I know yours is a 309 and he talks about his 606 but I think bad capacitors are the blame for your issue as well. Linkage to article.

Vehicles
      2004 Jeep V8 WJ, 2003 Toyota Matrix
      01-30-2017 06:15 PM #5
      Throw that Onkyo in the garbage, I mean electronics recycling bin. The HDMI on mine (606) crapped out and had to use component only. Another Onkyo just randomly turns off anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. It's the Onkyo that's the POS. I replaced mine with a cheap Pioneer and its been great for the last 2 years.

Vehicles
      01-31-2017 10:16 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Throw that Onkyo in the garbage, I mean electronics recycling bin. The HDMI on mine (606) crapped out and had to use component only. Another Onkyo just randomly turns off anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. It's the Onkyo that's the POS. I replaced mine with a cheap Pioneer and its been great for the last 2 years.
      That's my current plan, as soon as funds allow. I'm getting a receiver that is 4K compatible (if that's a real thing... I haven't looked into if it's marketing spin or a real feature).

Upon further testing, it doesn't matter what I do to make it work. It's a time thing. It takes about 5 minutes to figure itself out and have sound play.

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      03-05-2017 07:46 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by VWVan View Post
      Throw that Onkyo in the garbage, I mean electronics recycling bin...
      This.

Had an Oinkyo receiver fixed twice under the extended warranty, got rid of it. Replaced by a Sony receiver, and never looked back.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

For advertising information click HERE