Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Bt upgrade

Vehicles
      2003/VW/GTI1.8T 91/VW/GTI VR6
      01-20-2017 01:25 AM #1
      So I finally decided to upgrade my turbo on my 2003 GTI to a ATP GT2871R with ATP's intercooler and DeatschWerks 650 injectors, DW65r fuel pump, and the Meistro tuning suite software. Not sure if I need to do rods yet but most likely will do them too. I hope I made the right choice. If anyone has any suggestions I need to know about let me know.
      2003 MK4 K&W V3 clubsport suspension, GC Camber plates, Shine Racing rear swaybar, 3"TB Forced-motion exhaust, Meistro Tuning, S3 strut bar, Baily DV, Modified Factory Airbox, VF engineering Motor mounts, TT front Brakes, H2Sport Control arms.
      1991 MK2 GTI with VR6 Conversion with a Vortec Super Charger, Bilstein Sport Suspension, 5 lug conversion, big brakes, Liguid to Air intercooler still a project car

Vehicles
      2002 Silver Girl Car, 2002 Red AWD Rocket Car.
      01-20-2017 02:34 PM #2
      You will want to do at least rods otherwise you'll be capping your boost. And that's no fun after doing all the work of installing your kit. $450 for rods gives you the piece of mind knowing you're not going to throw one if you decide to take the car out and actually have some fun with it. GL with your build.

Vehicles
      01-25-2017 09:11 PM #3
      Well I got a good used motor with 60k on it I'm going to rebuild it and install Integrated engineering Rods should be good to go when I'm done.
      2003 MK4 K&W V3 clubsport suspension, GC Camber plates, Shine Racing rear swaybar, 3"TB Forced-motion exhaust, Meistro Tuning, S3 strut bar, Baily DV, Modified Factory Airbox, VF engineering Motor mounts, TT front Brakes, H2Sport Control arms.
      1991 MK2 GTI with VR6 Conversion with a Vortec Super Charger, Bilstein Sport Suspension, 5 lug conversion, big brakes, Liguid to Air intercooler still a project car

Vehicles
      01-26-2017 09:51 PM #4
      So I have almost all my stuff. DeatschWerks 65v pump, 4bar regulator, and 650cc injectors, ATP GT2871r Eliminator2 turbo, ATP front mount Intercooler, SECOND used 1.8t engine with 60k on it, ordered I.E. rods but the rods are a week out so I gotta wait to do my engine build.

Vehicles
      02-10-2017 10:10 PM #5
      Last edited by xspeedracer; 02-10-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Add pic

Vehicles
      03 GTI 1.8BT GT3071R-71BB
      04-15-2017 03:37 PM #6
      Good turbo for our motors! Congrats and best of luck with the build, but I'd HIGHLY recommend not using ATPs kit.

- ATPs kit is HIGHLY restrictive, you'll experience significant lag which you shouldn't with such a small turbo.
      - I know of someone who had that exhaust manifold break, not the same quality as the kit I have,

I would only highly recommend PPT (Pag Parts Turbo) 1.8T transverse kit: http://pagparts.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=583

I have it and it's phenomenal.. my turbo is significantly bigger so I experience lag but its well worth it on the top end.

Feel free to shoot me any questions you have, I'd be happy to share everything I went through to save you some time and money.

Here's a link to my build: BIG TURBO DU
      1.8T PPT Vbanded GT3071BB w/ some upgrades
      Pag Parts
      034 Motorsport
      German Transaxle
      Have VAG-COM, just ask

Vehicles
      04-25-2017 12:03 AM #7
      Thanks for the info I just happen to know the guys at 034Motorsports and they make awesome parts and do excellent service and repair work I would recommend them to anyone that needs Audi or Vw work. I also just happen to be in the auto repair business 17yrs+ and haven't heard of any issues with the 1.8t exhaust manifolds or Garrett Turbos but I may have just been lucky so far. I'm building the motor myself, I have already rebuilt my trans 2 times now blown ring gears.

Vehicles
      03 GTI 1.8BT GT3071R-71BB
      05-17-2017 06:27 PM #8
      I'm saying that since you have the ATP kit, you're going to experience a ****ton of lag.. the exhaust manifold is HIGHLY restrictive, ask the people at 034 that you know. Jeremy, Suchon, Allen, Javad, Adil, Eric, everyone will say that the ATP exhaust manifold that comes in their kit is bad. I have a very free flowing exhaust and the only other option that 034 recently did on a similar BT 1.8T car is a tubular manifold.

I stand by 034 100% as well. They built my car and are the best folks around to do what they do.

I destroyed my Transmission as well, had to swap in an 02M that I had built up with upgraded forks, REM micropolished gears, input shaft reinforcement and everything. Holds the power now, now to put more power down.

I'd love to get together and go on a drive or whatever. Always like to see VW enthusiasts in the local area.

CHEERS to another BT build in Nor Cal

Quote Originally Posted by xspeedracer View Post
      Thanks for the info I just happen to know the guys at 034Motorsports and they make awesome parts and do excellent service and repair work I would recommend them to anyone that needs Audi or Vw work. I also just happen to be in the auto repair business 17yrs+ and haven't heard of any issues with the 1.8t exhaust manifolds or Garrett Turbos but I may have just been lucky so far. I'm building the motor myself, I have already rebuilt my trans 2 times now blown ring gears.
      1.8T PPT Vbanded GT3071BB w/ some upgrades
      Pag Parts
      034 Motorsport
      German Transaxle
      Have VAG-COM, just ask

For advertising information click HERE