VWVortex.com - Unitronic Performance Software for North American 1.4 TSI - Now Available!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Unitronic Performance Software for North American 1.4 TSI - Now Available!

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T
      03-25-2017 09:39 AM #126
      Unfortunately I don't think the wishes of 2 people on the forum will encourage Uni to make another tune for the 1.4T. I do agree with you that an 89 octane tune would be pretty sweet. In terms of software, it really shouldn't be hard to lighten the output from the current software version. They spent all of this time crafting the software to run optimally with the highest output so shouldn't it be too difficult to lower bar they raised before...

2. 03-27-2017 08:13 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark17jettaS View Post
      AGREED 100%. Rather than squeezing as much as possible out...I would be happy with 10-15HP/20TQ.
      I know this is for another car, but wonder if it is possible for them to give you a lesser to the limits tune...

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...009-2010-125hp

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      03-27-2017 08:30 AM #128
      Sometimes I wish I had my vanilla-ice 1990 Mustang 5.0 back. 7-800 bucks, and a few scraped knuckles later, you were making +50-60 HP...Doing sweet burnouts with almost no reliability issues. A set of heads, a nice cam...sheesh. And this is with a car that took 3-4 kids through high-school, done THOUSANDS of break-stands...and costs about 4k used. Handled like a sack of potatoes, but sure was fun at a traffic light. Talk about turbo? a few extra G's, and you have a bone stock 5.0 with well over 400 HP to the wheels, and no CEL's. "Those were the days". Too bad you can't find them anymore...unless you get one that's destroyed and bent. RANT OVER.
      "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life". If you don't understand this, feel free to ask me.

4. 03-27-2017 11:58 AM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Mark17jettaS View Post
      Sometimes I wish I had my vanilla-ice 1990 Mustang 5.0 back. 7-800 bucks, and a few scraped knuckles later, you were making +50-60 HP...Doing sweet burnouts with almost no reliability issues. A set of heads, a nice cam...sheesh. And this is with a car that took 3-4 kids through high-school, done THOUSANDS of break-stands...and costs about 4k used. Handled like a sack of potatoes, but sure was fun at a traffic light. Talk about turbo? a few extra G's, and you have a bone stock 5.0 with well over 400 HP to the wheels, and no CEL's. "Those were the days". Too bad you can't find them anymore...unless you get one that's destroyed and bent. RANT OVER.
      Not a fair comparison... when you start with something so poorly optimized it's very easy to make improvements.

300 cubic inch motor putting out 400 HP = 1.25 hp per cubic inch.
      vs
      90 cubic inches getting 150 hp = 1.66 HP per cubic "stock"

This tune puts out 2hp per cubic inch.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta S A/T 1.4T
      03-27-2017 12:39 PM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by Carl- View Post
      Not a fair comparison... when you start with something so poorly optimized it's very easy to make improvements.

vs

Carl - Something tells me you were a great math student. That's a nice breakdown. I agree - and the 12MPG is something I don't miss.
      "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life". If you don't understand this, feel free to ask me.

6. 03-27-2017 01:07 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by Carl- View Post

vs

Its true the 5.0's were pretty poorly optimized but at the time its all Ford could do to keep up with emission standards.

Got a pair of the only headers ever made for my 5.0 1998 explorer, torque monsters, and wow.... Just the headers alone added nearly 20 HP and 35 pound feet! Normally you dont feel the effect of a single bolt on but this honestly felt like a small turbo was added.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SE
      04-20-2017 11:04 PM #132
      Ok guys, so I've had the tune on now for almost 3 months and I'm gonna give you a little bit of an update. My first turbo failed shortly after I got the tune (probably 3 weeks in). I don't know if the tune did it or if it was a bad turbo from the factory, but I'm starting to lean more towards the fact that the tune adds way too much boost for the stock turbos they put in these 1.4s. The reason I say this is because I had the turbo replaced a month and a half ago and the new turbo is making the same whine/whistle at cold start as the first one did. Mind you, when I first got it installed, it made no noise for about a week, and of course I went ahead and romped on it as hard as I could. After about a week, the dreaded whistle at startup made a comeback. However, once the car is warmed up (after a couple of minutes of driving), the noise goes away completely, whereas with the first turbo it lingered with every spool. I am going to continue driving it like this, because there hasn't been any change in performance and I'm not getting any check engine lights. I could go back to the dealer, but they would probably get suspicious that a turbo with less than 1000 miles on it is failing on the same car. So for now, I will just put up with the annoying whistle at startup. As far as performance goes, I am still very happy with the tune. It still shocks me sometimes at how quick the car has become. I actually had a chance to take it to a "closed road" in "Mexico" and give it the beans, and I got up to 140 mph. The speed was still climbing, but I was scared to go any faster on the stock wheels and "eco" tires that come standard on the car. I'm sure with some nice summer tires, such as extremecontacts DWs, and on a nice flat road, I'm guessing 150+ mph is a very achievable speed with this tune. I know that might not sound fast to some people, but considering it's a measly 1.4 engine, it's actually phenomenal. Top speed aside, acceleration is excellent in this car. It throws me back into my seat when I floor it, passing at any speed is a breeze, and hitting 100 mph has become something I do almost daily now, because it's so much quicker and more responsive now. Besides tires, the other limitation on this car is the brakes. In stock form and for daily driving, the brakes are more than adequate and get the job done without fuss. But when you're trying to push it hard on back roads, they fade rather quickly, as the rotors and pads were never meant for those kinds of speeds. I see a big brake upgrade and a set of extremecontacts DWs in the future for my car. Ultimately, once it's out of warranty, I'm going to upgrade to a better turbocharger that can handle the extra boost from this tune a little better. Overall, I'm still very happy with the tune, but I'm keeping an eye out for more turbo problems in the future. I will keep you guys updated. Cheers.

8. 04-21-2017 02:35 AM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeAD247 View Post
      Ok guys, so I've had the tune on now for almost 3 months and I'm gonna give you a little bit of an update. My first turbo failed shortly after I got the tune (probably 3 weeks in). I don't know if the tune did it or if it was a bad turbo from the factory, but I'm starting to lean more towards the fact that the tune adds way too much boost for the stock turbos they put in these 1.4s. The reason I say this is because I had the turbo replaced a month and a half ago and the new turbo is making the same whine/whistle at cold start as the first one did. Mind you, when I first got it installed, it made no noise for about a week, and of course I went ahead and romped on it as hard as I could. After about a week, the dreaded whistle at startup made a comeback. However, once the car is warmed up (after a couple of minutes of driving), the noise goes away completely, whereas with the first turbo it lingered with every spool. I am going to continue driving it like this, because there hasn't been any change in performance and I'm not getting any check engine lights. I could go back to the dealer, but they would probably get suspicious that a turbo with less than 1000 miles on it is failing on the same car. So for now, I will just put up with the annoying whistle at startup. As far as performance goes, I am still very happy with the tune. It still shocks me sometimes at how quick the car has become. I actually had a chance to take it to a "closed road" in "Mexico" and give it the beans, and I got up to 140 mph. The speed was still climbing, but I was scared to go any faster on the stock wheels and "eco" tires that come standard on the car. I'm sure with some nice summer tires, such as extremecontacts DWs, and on a nice flat road, I'm guessing 150+ mph is a very achievable speed with this tune. I know that might not sound fast to some people, but considering it's a measly 1.4 engine, it's actually phenomenal. Top speed aside, acceleration is excellent in this car. It throws me back into my seat when I floor it, passing at any speed is a breeze, and hitting 100 mph has become something I do almost daily now, because it's so much quicker and more responsive now. Besides tires, the other limitation on this car is the brakes. In stock form and for daily driving, the brakes are more than adequate and get the job done without fuss. But when you're trying to push it hard on back roads, they fade rather quickly, as the rotors and pads were never meant for those kinds of speeds. I see a big brake upgrade and a set of extremecontacts DWs in the future for my car. Ultimately, once it's out of warranty, I'm going to upgrade to a better turbocharger that can handle the extra boost from this tune a little better. Overall, I'm still very happy with the tune, but I'm keeping an eye out for more turbo problems in the future. I will keep you guys updated. Cheers.

I've had the tune the day it came out and I've yet to experience any issues with the turbo. I am thinking you received two batches of bad turbos built on a Friday. I also agree with you that this tune is amazing for such a small engine, and the limitations are the tires and brakes. I recently upgraded wheels and tires to 17" konig rennforms with 225 / 45 / 17 Michelin pilot super sports and I dont lose traction anymore. The second gear pulls even harder now that traction control doesnt interfere. I also lowered my car with eibach pro kits so that could also be helping with traction and acceleration. The tune makes the car feel effort less pass 130 km/h, its made to cruise on the Autobahn. I see myself accelerating to 150 km/h without much notice and realize if a cop catches me at this speed my car gets impounded and I lose my license lol. If there is a turbo upgrade for this engine from unitronic I wouldn't hesitate to buy it either. That would probably be a stage 2+ upgrade though. When your turbo was going did you flash back to stock tune before bringing your car in? They did not detect an ecu flash as they installed the new turbo?
      2016 Jetta Trendline + 1.4 TSI // Unitronic Stage 1 // Eibach pro kit lowering springs

9. 04-21-2017 11:35 AM #134
      I too have been interested in having the Stage 1 applied to my 2017 Jetta S. The car has no issues/problems and has 6K miles on it. I emailed Unitronic to ask if they would consider a "Stage 0.75" tune and they thought that their Stage 1 was already the best place to start. I guess I will bite the bullet and go back up to DTM Autowerks and get the software applied!

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SE
      04-21-2017 11:58 AM #135
      Quote Originally Posted by Airportsecurity View Post
      I've had the tune the day it came out and I've yet to experience any issues with the turbo. I am thinking you received two batches of bad turbos built on a Friday. I also agree with you that this tune is amazing for such a small engine, and the limitations are the tires and brakes. I recently upgraded wheels and tires to 17" konig rennforms with 225 / 45 / 17 Michelin pilot super sports and I dont lose traction anymore. The second gear pulls even harder now that traction control doesnt interfere. I also lowered my car with eibach pro kits so that could also be helping with traction and acceleration. The tune makes the car feel effort less pass 130 km/h, its made to cruise on the Autobahn. I see myself accelerating to 150 km/h without much notice and realize if a cop catches me at this speed my car gets impounded and I lose my license lol. If there is a turbo upgrade for this engine from unitronic I wouldn't hesitate to buy it either. That would probably be a stage 2+ upgrade though. When your turbo was going did you flash back to stock tune before bringing your car in? They did not detect an ecu flash as they installed the new turbo?
      No I just rolled the dice and brought it in as is. The dealers don't care what you do to your car, they make a profit from fixing it, so it's in their interest not to meddle and just do what you ask them to while under warranty. Your warranty will not void unless VW suspects something and asks the dealer to send them your ECU for inspection. Otherwise the dealer will take their money happily and with a huge smile on their face. After all, that's where most of them make their money, and not in actual auto sales.

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SE
      04-21-2017 12:02 PM #136
      Quote Originally Posted by Airportsecurity View Post
      Lol you got super sports for your Jetta? Isn't that a bit overkill haha? Those come standard on supercars nowadays. I was thinking of some conti extreme contact DW for the summer. I also have a set of 17s with snow tires on them currently, and the conti extremes are like 125 bucks a piece for 225/45/17. And 150 km/h? That's like 90 mph lol (must be Canada). They will take your licence at 90 mph? But they'll let you smoke a bunch of weed to forget about your troubles!

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2003 TDI Jetta Wagon, 2004 Golf R32
      04-21-2017 07:40 PM #137
      Your warranty will not void unless VW suspects something and asks the dealer to send them your ECU for inspection.
      Except they scan the car for every sort of servicing now and they check the checksums on the ECU for most models. If the checksum is different your VIN is TD1 flagged. No need to send the ECU to VW.

Please stop spreading misinformation about things you don't know.

13. Forum Sponsor John@Unitronic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      B8 S4
      04-21-2017 08:14 PM #138
      We've had plenty of our Clients visit a VW or Audi Dealership after having our flash, and having reflashed to stock using UniConnect+ or via an Authorized Dealer, without any "TD1 flagging", however, obviously we can't guarantee if you will or will not "flagged".
      UNITRONIC — Performance Software & Hardware for your VW® /Audi® / Porsche®
      Web: GetUNITRONIC.com | Tel: (866) 341-2447
      Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

14. Member
      04-21-2017 08:18 PM #139
      Lol you got super sports for your Jetta? Isn't that a bit overkill haha? Those come standard on supercars nowadays. I was thinking of some conti extreme contact DW for the summer. I also have a set of 17s with snow tires on them currently, and the conti extremes are like 125 bucks a piece for 225/45/17. And 150 km/h? That's like 90 mph lol (must be Canada). They will take your licence at 90 mph? But they'll let you smoke a bunch of weed to forget about your troubles!
      What's wrong with Super Sports on a Jetta?
      The Conti Extreme DW are in the same category as the Super Sports. With 200TQ & ~170 HP, your almost guaranteed to not wheel hop at full throttle with those tires.

People don't know how to drive up here hence the low speed limits And the government mints money on speeding fines. Only in Ontario, other provinces do have higher limits though.

Speed limit of Major highways is 100KM/h(62mph). Going 50KM/h(30mph) over that results in license suspension, impounded car and couple thousand dollar fine

15. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 08:19 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by John@Unitronic View Post
      We've had plenty of our Clients visit a VW or Audi Dealership after having our flash, and having reflashed to stock using UniConnect+ or via an Authorized Dealer, without any "TD1 flagging", however, obviously we can't guarantee if you will or will not "flagged".
      Good to hear, but to clarify, did you mean some went after flashing to stock and some went in with the remap?

My comments were more directed to "the dealership has to send the ecu to VW" statement which is not the case.

16. Forum Sponsor John@Unitronic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      B8 S4
      04-21-2017 08:24 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
      Good to hear, but to clarify, did you mean some went after flashing to stock and some went in with the remap?
      My comment was to mean after having reflashed to stock. Going with a remap on the ECU likely won't automatically flag "TD1", either, though. But, of course, it's always recommended to visit the Dealership with the stock file flashed onto the ECU, if potential warranty exclusion concerns you.
      UNITRONIC — Performance Software & Hardware for your VW® /Audi® / Porsche®
      Web: GetUNITRONIC.com | Tel: (866) 341-2447
      Follow us on: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

17. 04-21-2017 10:58 PM #142
      Yea a bit over kill for a jetta but I dont want my tires to be the limiting factor, I wanted to see what the tune was really about this coming summer. I have read good reviews about the conti extreme contact DW, I would pick those up in a flash if i found a good deal. 50 over any posted speed limit in Canada is an immediate 7 day car impound, immediate 7 day license suspension, 6 demerit points, one year license suspension, minimum fine of $2000 , maximum fine of $10 000, jail up to 6 months, and 100% insurance increase. They recently booked like 10 guys with porsches street racing around my province (state), so when im driving and i see my speed it kind of shocks me when its really effortless and buttery smooth.
      2016 Jetta Trendline + 1.4 TSI // Unitronic Stage 1 // Eibach pro kit lowering springs

18. 04-22-2017 06:00 PM #143
      Has anyone with a 5MT gotten the tune? Any clutch issues?

19. 04-22-2017 08:49 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by dwbandler View Post
      Has anyone with a 5MT gotten the tune? Any clutch issues?
      Mines a 5MT, no clutch issue whatsoever, the only way I can see you having clutch issues is if you launch aggressively as if you were doing a quarter mile run a **** ton, but that goes for any clutch regardless. Clutches are designed with factors of safety and are more resilient then word of mouth on the Internet. Only way I see a clutch going is thru user error (first gear launches, clutch dumps, riding clutch excessively, missed shifts, money shifts).

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Jetta SE
      04-24-2017 05:05 PM #145
      Quote Originally Posted by dorkage View Post
      Except they scan the car for every sort of servicing now and they check the checksums on the ECU for most models. If the checksum is different your VIN is TD1 flagged. No need to send the ECU to VW.

Please stop spreading misinformation about things you don't know.
      Yeah, except I didn't flash back to stock and my vehicle didn't get flagged at all. I was saying I am avoiding going for another warranty claim right away, because then VW might become suspicious. They can absolutely ask the dealer to send them the ECU for reexamination. It can, has, and does happen, so YOU'RE the one spreading misinformation. As long as the car is under warranty, VW has a right to examine your claim in any way they see fit.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T
      04-24-2017 07:39 PM #146
      Anyone else have problems after tuning their car? I'm still on the fence of the tune. Just upgraded my wheels though so they could easily handle more power.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-24-2017 10:01 PM #147
      Yeah, except I didn't flash back to stock and my vehicle didn't get flagged at all. I was saying I am avoiding going for another warranty claim right away, because then VW might become suspicious. They can absolutely ask the dealer to send them the ECU for reexamination. It can, has, and does happen, so YOU'RE the one spreading misinformation. As long as the car is under warranty, VW has a right to examine your claim in any way they see fit.
      THEY DON'T HAVE TO SEND IT AWAY. It can be done at the dealership. They compare checksums, one bit needs to be different on your flash for your checksum to be vastly different. If the checksum is wrong they will assume it's been remapped.

You got lucky. Unitronic even stated to flash to stock if bringing it in for warranty.

Vehicles
      16 Jetta S, 08 Rabbit, 06 Touareg
      04-24-2017 10:59 PM #148
      So can Unitronic solve this possible issue with a flashloader?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      I'm usually too busy reaching for another beer to pay attention to other cars on the road

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T
      05-20-2017 06:50 PM #149
      Curious of an update for this

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Jetta 1.4T
      05-26-2017 10:27 PM #150
      Just went ahead and bought it. I'll post when its delivered and I try it

For advertising information click HERE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast