VWVortex.com - I bought a used TT BMW as a daily driver.... pray for me | Big body content inside
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought a used TT BMW as a daily driver.... pray for me | Big body content inside

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mustang GT PP, '13 Viper GTS
      01-24-2017 10:22 PM #1
      Well, pray for BMW's CPO warranty, I'm not that stupid!

Just got bored of the CC-R after 2 years, it was a great trouble free car but was otherwise lifeless. It looked great, got good gas mileage, and was cheap. On the flip side, it was gutless, boring to drive, and our lowered performance pack GT mustang had better ride quality (go figure). But the number one thing that killed my enjoyment in the CC was the unrelenting dash rattles. The sh*t just wouldn't stop. I went through, removed panels, stuffed in felt liners and tightened things down, but no matter what I did, every bump, something was rattling, creaking, moaning, etc. It drove me NUTS. Yes I'm probably more OCD than the average person by a long shot, but come on, the car is 2 years old, driven to and fro on mirror smooth highways, what in the actual F. My 2007 Passat (previous daily) was as tight the day I turned it in with 100k+ miles as it was on day 1. Based on my experience, VW's quality has been moving in the wrong direction. All that aside, I was just getting the itch again, and wanted something to get excited about on my commute.

Being a Russian male I had gravitated towards S classes, G wagons, and 7s all of my life. I just never thought I'd actually be able to afford one (insert fakerich yolo CPO meme here). Its the Russian right of passage, as authentic as Adidas track suits, pumas, and gold plated AK47s. So after a few months of window shopping the intrawebs I'd noticed that a local LCI F01 750i had its price lowered from 48 to 45k after sitting for a month, and thought, well, let me go see if I like it. I honestly didn't know what to expect, seeing as I had never even ridden in a 7 series, let alone driven one. I tend to like very light cars and the associated dynamics, didn't know how I'd feel about a land yacht. The car drove every bit like the land barge I expected but for some reason it felt very me, and I just couldn't get over how much car I was getting for the money. I will mention that this was not my first stop in the past month as I like to browse many different cars in the price range to see if anything jumps out at me. I had driven loaded XE's, 3s, TTS, new E classes (E300 interior is incredible, powertrain is absolute trash), new C class (same verdict), and even drove a Golf R for sh*ts n gigs. With the exception of the TTS (which I thought was absolutely brilliant), all the aforementioned was kind of a let down. I mean, they were nice, but I never got excited or felt like I had to have them while driving them. The 7 was different, probably because I'd never owned a real luxury car before. The build and material quality, ride, isolation, and overall technology overload was tugging at my heart strings. I am also very keen on it aesthetically, this is very subjective but I find the car incredibly handsome and classy (something I cant really say about the new G11 7 series). Plus the thing just rolls around on an effortless wave of torque everywhere it goes; feels like you're driving around a levitating bank vault with a rocket strapped to it. I remember pulling over into a parking lot during the test drive (I was by myself), climbing in the back seat, turning on a movie left by the previous owner in the dvd changer, cranking the B&O, and just laughing. I felt like I was in a home theater, I mean for christ sakes, there is sconce ambient lighting on the B pillars

The car felt every bit of its 102k msrp, and felt like a bargain for less than half that amount. I just couldn't fathom being impressed by anything else for the 40-50k range like I was by this, so I yelled YOLO real loud and the salesman appeared. Being that the car was absolutely pristine inside and out (even by my OCD standards), and I had utter peace of mind through the 2 warranties; I offered them 45k drive-out, they shook my hand, and the rest is history.

Specifics;

2013 BMW 750i CPO

N63tu TT V8 (445hp/480tq)
      ZF 8spd Auto
      28,000 miles
      1 year left on OEM Warranty (all services and wear items paid for by dealer)
      CPO Until end of 2019
      $45,000 out the door (42.5k sale price before TT&L)

Lightning Package
      -Full Adaptive LED headlights
      -Automatic Highbeams

Executive Package
      -Power side window shades
      -Power rear sunshade
      -Heated/Ventilated seats
      -Full leather dash
      -Ceramic controls
      -Heads up Display
      -BMW Apps
      -Smartphone integration
      -Soft close doors
      -Power rear trunk
      -Hands-free trunk opening
      -Auto dimming mirrors
      -Homelink
      -Park distance control
      -Rear view camera
      -Ambient lighting

M-Sport Package
      -Aero Kit
      -Shadowline Exterior Trim
      -Anthracite headliner
      -M Sport Wheel w/ Paddle shifters
      -20x8.5 20x10 303M Wheels

Rear Seat Entertainment Package
      -Pair 9.2" floating rear screens
      -Connected Drive
      -iDrive rear controller
      -6 Disc in dash DVD Changer
      -Aux/Usb Inputs

Bang & Olufsen Sound
      -1200 Watts
      -16 Speakers (7 tweeters, 7 midrange, 2 dedicated subwoofers)
      -Ambient lighting for grilles

Some pictures from the day I saw her at the dealer;

Signed the papers, and drove the big girl home the following night;

01-24-2017 10:26 PM #2
      lol......CPO............say it with me.....Used Car.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      01-24-2017 10:27 PM #3
      Congrats!
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      01-24-2017 10:30 PM #4
      I'm awaiting the first VW Fanboy to pop in and ridicule you for ditching the CC/R.

I'm not much a BMW fan but that is a BRILLIANT find, especially for $45K. I'd happily sit in the back of that and watch movies all day. Speaking of, have you gotten Mrs. Slowhatch A) a ring yet or B) to help you "bless" the back seats of that thing? There's certainly enough room.

Great pick up!
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems
      I'm surprised he spelled VW correctly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote
      It's not hard, it's only two letters.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      13 Infiniti M37 Sport, 03 MB C230 Kompressor
      01-24-2017 10:30 PM #5
      Nice but for that money I would have gotten a new S90. That BMW looks dated already, the S90 has big presence.

01-24-2017 10:31 PM #6
      Love the look of these, if I worked for a BMW store I'd grab a swb 740i M Sport...only because I'm afraid of the V8 in this.

Keep this thread updated.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

7. 01-24-2017 10:47 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Latino View Post
      Nice but for that money I would have gotten a new S90. That BMW looks dated already, the S90 has big presence.

Yeah...no.

The S90 is a great design, and i'm not even super keen on the F01, but line the S90 up next to any of these big flagships (A8, 7, S class, LS), and you'll quickly watch it melt into obscurity. Just doesn't have the size and the brashness of design to compete on a "presence" level.

Congrats OP! Hope it treats you well.

01-24-2017 10:48 PM #8
      Pretty car OP- I always thought the F01 LCI made for a slick looking car. Good luck and keep this thread updated!

Eh...no. They're in 2 different classes and I really don't think the S90 even belongs in this conversation. The BMW that the OP bought is built to a higher standard and is enjoyable in its own right.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

9. 01-24-2017 11:12 PM #9
      Nothing more luxurious than a new battery at every oil change!

Hell of a lot of car for the price, congrats OP!

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 11:32 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      If you're insinuating that I'm ashamed that its a used car, far from it. It is every bit the 3 year old USED car. My mention of a CPO is purely to denote that I'm not completely insane and there is a mfg backed warranty in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
      I'm awaiting the first VW Fanboy to pop in and ridicule you for ditching the CC/R.

I'm not much a BMW fan but that is a BRILLIANT find, especially for $45K. I'd happily sit in the back of that and watch movies all day. Speaking of, have you gotten Mrs. Slowhatch A) a ring yet or B) to help you "bless" the back seats of that thing? There's certainly enough room.

Great pick up!
      Cheers. She has not gotten a ring yet, we are in no rush! Less rings and weddings, more toys!

I wouldn't exactly say dated (subjective), its definetely not polarizing like some of the new 17+ designs but honestly thats where its understated elegance lies for me.

As much as I love Volvos offerings as of late (XC90 comes to mind immediately), I can't get on board with the S90s rear end, the taillights just look awful to me. Reminds of the mess of a rear end on the E65 7 series;

Quote Originally Posted by MAGICGTI View Post
      Love the look of these, if I worked for a BMW store I'd grab a swb 740i M Sport...only because I'm afraid of the V8 in this.

Keep this thread updated.
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Nothing more luxurious than a new battery at every oil change!

Hell of a lot of car for the price, congrats OP!
      From my lurking on the 7 forums, it seems the suicide watch comes from the N63 equipped F01 cars (09-12). Those are the ones with alarming motor and electrical issues. I have not seen any alarming posts for the new N63tu motors in the 2013+ 750s.

Vehicles
      01-24-2017 11:41 PM #11
      Got the car home, started going through and absorbing every menu, setting, and feature like the big auto nerd that I am.

Also pulled the hideous front plate frame off, revealed 4 large bolt holes (why ), and scheduled an appointment with a body shop to get the holes repaired and a few other small goodies installed.

Vehicles
      '13 Ferrari 458 Italia Size: XS
      01-24-2017 11:44 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

Cheers. She has not gotten a ring yet, we are in no rush! Less rings and weddings, more toys!
      Just needling you cuz it seems to come up in every thread of yours. Mrs. SAV didn't say "it's me or the toys" but strongly insinuated I couldn't add the motorcycle I want to our garage after I bought the Abarth without making sure she had some hardware of her own first. Women.

Take your time and enjoy it though. We were together nearly six years before we even got engaged.
      GeorgiaBulldawgs!
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems
      I'm surprised he spelled VW correctly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cote
      It's not hard, it's only two letters.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      01-24-2017 11:44 PM #13
      Holy crap, wasn't this thing like $100k 3 years ago?
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      16 Golf R, 84 Carrera
      01-24-2017 11:54 PM #14
      My dad used to tell me to buy recently-new, low-miles, lots of warranty cars... he is boring and unimaginative and a lot wealthier than I.

You somehow managed to make both him and me happy at the same time with this buy. Your ass is still fairly covered, but you let someone else take the big bath. I think I like the idea of a cared-for three year old $100k car for $45k way more than a new $45k car for $45k.

As you mentioned in your list, most cars at that price are either strippers that oughta cost $60k (a la E class) or overly-stuffed entry-level cars (a la TTS/Golf R).

When I grow up, I wanna be like fasthatch and say YOLO and do cool things.

Speaking of my dad, he had a 550i M-Sport for a while. That motor is hysterically awesome.

Vehicles
      Lexus
      01-25-2017 12:44 AM #15
      Congrats on that car. The LCI looks very very good IMO.

Depreciate is insane on these. I've been looking at 550i's of that era as well.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      01-25-2017 12:50 AM #16

I agree with this, but the BMW has a lot to offer as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      Mini R55 S, Mazda Miata NA, Honda Pilot
      01-25-2017 01:05 AM #17
      That is huge and awesome! Especially with a warranty and that price.

01-25-2017 01:32 AM #18
      That is a lot of car for $45K. Congrats! It looks gorgeous. Those rear doors are huge and its not even the lwb!

You plan on keeping it after CPO expires?

Vehicles
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      01-25-2017 02:03 AM #19
      Thats a nice car!

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      01-25-2017 02:12 AM #20
      Russian male.. 7-series.. checks out.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      01-25-2017 02:21 AM #21
      I drove almost all of BMW's current non-M models at a driving event back in 2015 and the 750 was the only one that really impressed me. I love the way it drove. Probably the only car that big that I've ever driven that made me think to myself "I could probably be happy driving one of these every day"

Any update on what's going to replace the Viper?
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

Vehicles
      Heavy Breathing Baboon Hauler
      01-25-2017 02:53 AM #22
      Congrats. I drove one of those a year ago and liked it. Oddly enough I complain about modern BMW's quite a bit, but the things that drive me nuts in the smaller cars just weren't a consideration in the 7. I liked it big and isolated.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      01-25-2017 07:28 AM #23
      CPO = nothing worthy of prayer. You're covered.

01-25-2017 08:06 AM #24
      congrats, that's a sweet looking rig.
      the user formerly known as al@absolute
      13 F250 XLT 6.7 CCSB (current) - 17 F350 Platinum 6.7 CCSB (on order) | 17 Explorer Sport | 87 Buick Regal GN | 14 Mustang GT | 37 Plymouth Coupe | 16 Kawasaki Mule Pro-Fxt

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      01-25-2017 08:18 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by goosler View Post
      Say it with me.....how old are you?
      Honking at one Camry at a time

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast