Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson slams new NSX

1. Member
      02-14-2017 04:58 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Reisner View Post
      ...You know what else is technology? Progress. It may be in the transmission, steering, or whatever else Honda does to make the experience better
      Which is clearly subjective. And the idea of "progress" is always debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Technology makes a car better. Faster, better handling, more efficient. But, it also makes it more boring, less involved, too capable. That's the rub.
      Yep. A sports car exists chiefly (if not only) to please its driver. Numbers "matter" but they're secondary to that fact anywhere but a race course, running timed laps.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      ...Maybe they will soon include the autonomous feature so you can just sit in the passenger seat and enjoy browsing TCL on a pop up screen while the computer and the lasers do the work for you and set a lap record .
      I think many of us opt out at the point where the technology is so good that most human input is either unnecessary or sub-optimal. It would certainly help explain declining race attendance in many series. If the human can't "tame the machine" they why is he/she driving? Why are we watching?

2. 02-14-2017 06:08 PM #52
      Yeap and the NSX should be a perfect fit for them. Amazing technology with fully automated, computerized and digital experience. Really the opposite of the original sports car NSX. Maybe they will soon include the autonomous feature so you can just sit in the passenger seat and enjoy browsing TCL on a pop up screen while the computer and the lasers do the work for you and set a lap record .
      I know, right? People like you would make Lotus proud. Only problem is, you're all talk. Lotus has been a niche and will continue to be a niche. Same thing with the Ms and AMGs of the world. When OEMs make a car within your price range like the Subaru BRZ you find new reasons to not buy. All talk because people are nostalgic for certain cars but refuse to buy modern versions. Manual sports cars are a dying breed ("because resale, etc...") and most lament but continually vote with their wallets. The OEMs are not stupid. They know who their customers are (and it's not the talkers). That is why BMW is getting rid of manuals in their M cars and the GT-R basically does the driving for you.

Vehicles
      '96 Saab 9000 CS
      02-14-2017 06:16 PM #53
      You saying the "new NSX is ruined by technology" is akin to saying progress is a bad thing.
      No it's not, that's what you just said.

I could write code to machine most of what is in this car. I know what I said.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      02-14-2017 06:18 PM #54
      Do it.

Vehicles
      '96 Saab 9000 CS
      02-14-2017 06:22 PM #55
      I'll need compensation.

Vehicles
      '15 WRX
      02-14-2017 06:42 PM #56
      I know, right? People like you would make Lotus proud. Only problem is, you're all talk. Lotus has been a niche and will continue to be a niche. Same thing with the Ms and AMGs of the world. When OEMs make a car within your price range like the Subaru BRZ you find new reasons to not buy. All talk because people are nostalgic for certain cars but refuse to buy modern versions. Manual sports cars are a dying breed ("because resale, etc...") and most lament but continually vote with their wallets. The OEMs are not stupid. They know who their customers are (and it's not the talkers). That is why BMW is getting rid of manuals in their M cars and the GT-R basically does the driving for you.
      The majority of their costumers probably don't even know how to drive stick so yeah. I bought the most "mechanical" car in my price range and my needs. I could careless about digital autotragics, doesn't matter who makes them and how fast they are.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      02-14-2017 09:11 PM #57
      Yeap and the NSX should be a perfect fit for them. Amazing technology with fully automated, computerized and digital experience. Really the opposite of the original sports car NSX.
      No. Compared to most cars, the original NSX all the electronic gizmos that one could get in a car, such as electronic fuel injection, etc. etc.

As already mentioned, electronics do not make or brake a car. As badly executed project is not going to produce a good product, regardless of what tools you used to make it.

Science is what drives the progress. Without it, we'd all die out a long time ago.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      And now for something completley different...A Scotsman on a horse.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      02-14-2017 10:55 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      No. Compared to most cars, the original NSX all the electronic gizmos that one could get in a car, such as electronic fuel injection, etc. etc.
      Yup. If they could have done a 30mpg highway supercar w/560hp and electric AWD back then, they would have.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

9. Senior Member
      02-15-2017 12:22 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Yup. If they could have done a 30mpg highway supercar w/560hp and electric AWD back then, they would have.
      And if they could have had Button aid in the development of the NSX back then, they would have
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

10. Member
      02-15-2017 01:26 AM #60
      Cool. The "customer is always right" no matter how dumb they are. Consumers with the attention spans of insect larvae think buttons on the dasboard that mimic their game consoles, and "smart" features that absolve them of all adult responsibility are talking with their wallets while BRZ sales lag because they have the aural appeal of a poorly tuned leaf blower.

You're arguing for de-evolution, here.

11. 02-15-2017 09:53 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Cool. The "customer is always right" no matter how dumb they are. Consumers with the attention spans of insect larvae think buttons on the dasboard that mimic their game consoles, and "smart" features that absolve them of all adult responsibility are talking with their wallets while BRZ sales lag because they have the aural appeal of a poorly tuned leaf blower.

You're arguing for de-evolution, here.
      Nope, not what I wrote at all. My response was to the claim that the new NSX was not as "pure" as the one that preceded it. As another poster so succinctly put it, if the engineers of the original NSX had today's tech, it's doubtful they wouldn't have utilized them. My other point was that those complaining that this car is tech overload are the same people who refuse to buy the "pure" cars of today (e.g. Lotus Exige). No doubt if they did get a chance to drive a car like the Exige, they'd probably bitch about how harsh and spartan it was. IOW, they're all talk. The mythical car they'd buy exists either only in their head or in their memories. That's a distinction without a difference.

Vehicles
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      02-15-2017 10:17 AM #62
      I'm not saying that at all. Technology is fine, but other OEM supercars are managing to leave the "super" in without making the car a glorified RSX....Which is a piss-poor substitute for the car that made Acura a legend, the Integra.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '85 Cabriolet, '88 Cabriolet, '15 Golf LE
      02-15-2017 10:17 AM #63
      Funny read. If car magazines were more like this I'd still have subscriptions. I really want his opinion on the 911R everyone else loves it. Would he hate it out of principle or would Jeremy finally find the Beetle of his dreams.

Vehicles
      02-15-2017 10:21 AM #64
      And yeah, that is a good point. I know "Clarkson hate" is a staple amongst some of you, but I would take a Jezza or Brock Yates any day over a boring Consumer Reports/Motorweek review of a car.

I love Colloquial writing styles.
      DCIVW
      CE.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      02-15-2017 10:25 AM #65
      If Honda really wanted to cram all available tech into the original NSX then why didn't they put power steering on it?

Vehicles
      Mini Cooper JCW
      02-15-2017 10:26 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      And yeah, that is a good point. I know "Clarkson hate" is a staple amongst some of you, but I would take a Jezza or Brock Yates any day over a boring Doug Demuro/Jalopnik review of a car.

very true...
      /| OMGHAI |\

Vehicles
      02-15-2017 10:32 AM #67
      My wife got her first taste of Doug DeMuro on Youtube last night, his newest one autoplayed after I watched something else. She said something to the effect of "he has a punchable face, and his voice is killing my soul."
      DCIVW
      CE.

02-15-2017 11:01 AM #68
      Pretty much this right here^^

A bunch of talk on some random car enthusiast forum doesn't keep car manufactures in business, car purchasing does that. If no one is really buying manuals anymore then they wont make them. The relatively few of us who still want them will have to look more and more to older vehicles. It is what it is.

Vehicles
      2009 Si sedan, 2012 Crosstour 4WD
      02-15-2017 11:29 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      If Honda really wanted to cram all available tech into the original NSX then why didn't they put power steering on it?
      How long did they last without power steering?
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      02-15-2017 11:31 AM #70
      LeBron James slams basketball

21. Senior Member
      02-15-2017 11:47 AM #71
      How long did they last without power steering?
      Four years, the change was made not to enhance steering feel but to satiate whiny Americans
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      02-15-2017 11:54 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by HotrodMinivan View Post
      Yawn. Hyberbole for hyperbole's sake.
      Clarkson, I like him & is quite funny...but he contradicts himself alot & exaggerates often.

I remember the MG ZT 260 v8: he said it had one of the greatest engines ever. (series 4 episode 5)

but dogs the same engine out, cause it's in a mustang, in this episode.

Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      02-15-2017 11:54 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Four years, the change was made not to enhance steering feel but to satiate whiny Americans
      All the automatic cars had power steering and the 1999 Zanardi Edition did not. That is pretty telling.

My point to Ross is Honda didn't seem to just toss tech at the car for the sake of it. Power steering had been well mastered by 1991 but it was omitted from the car because it didn't need and the final product was better to drive for it.

02-15-2017 12:02 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      All the automatic cars had power steering and the 1999 Zanardi Edition did not. That is pretty telling.

My point to Ross is Honda didn't seem to just toss tech at the car for the sake of it. Power steering had been well mastered by 1991 but it was omitted from the car because it didn't need and the final product was better to drive for it.
      Had power steering been evolved to modern standards it probably would have been. I think that's the point Ross is trying to make, the NSX is using the best of modern Honda technology. Obviously there are those who would sacrifice performance or fuel economy for a more 'involved' driving experience but Honda didn't build the new NSX to appease this group.

The modern NSX is a car for rich greenies who might own a Tesla. This NSX is not for old school enthusiasts who spend weekends under a hood or playing in a track car.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

25. Senior Member
      02-15-2017 12:10 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      Had power steering been evolved to modern standards it probably would have been.
      lol so power steering was not up to par in the 90s? I'm glad electric steering evolution was swift enough to be included in this new one

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast