VWVortex.com - Looking into get a VW for the first time. Convice me
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Looking into get a VW for the first time. Convice me

1. 02-14-2017 10:04 AM #1
      Hello, I’m a long time Honda owner. I’ve been driving a 99 Honda Civic Si (Canadian Edition, it's EX in the USA) since 2000. I’m now looking for a SUV. I'm Honda guy, but their vehicle styling doesn’t appeal to me anymore. I saw the new and bigger 2018 VW Tiguan and its styling is more of my preference. I’ve been researching VW to see what kind of problems, issues and complaints it has. I’m aware of the diesel fiasco, but that doesn’t bother me. I'm finding all sorts of articles in web sites and youtube videos where owners and mechanics talk about VW problems. Am I reading too much into the bad stuff that I'm not seeing the good? Are VWs solid and reliable? Please convince me. Thanks.
      Last edited by yycdriver; 02-14-2017 at 04:08 PM. Reason: correct type in title

2. 02-15-2017 08:54 AM #2
      On a 2018 nobody will really know what problems or how reliable they are long term for maybe another 3 years. Warranty has you covered on the short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. 02-15-2017 09:59 AM #3
      Thanks for the reply. I'm asking in general what the VWs are like. I'm not asking about a specific model or the new model that is not out yet. I think the 2018 Tiguan's 2.0 TSI is not new and used in other models, right? Also, I heard VWs have transmission problems. Those kind of things I'm looking for. What kind of complaints do you have?

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      02-15-2017 01:08 PM #4
      If you're interested in the Tiguan, I'd read up and post in the Tiguan section.

Its hard to answer your question in general though. There are isssues/pros/cons with things depending on car, engine, transmission.

My husband has a '16 GLI 6-speed and its been pretty solid. He packs on the miles (he's at 23k in 14 months on it) and it seems to be doing well. The 2.0T is nice, the manual is great. Don't know much about other new VWs though.
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD
      The Wheelbarrow - '82 Rabbit Pickup
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI
      His - '16 GLI SE

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport, 2016 C-Max, 2011 Golf TDI (gone), 2013 Passat TDI (gone)
      02-16-2017 01:07 PM #5
      Buy a 2017 CRV! It is the best SUV on the market, why stray?

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      02-16-2017 06:13 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by yycdriver View Post
      Thanks for the reply. I'm asking in general what the VWs are like. I'm not asking about a specific model or the new model that is not out yet. I think the 2018 Tiguan's 2.0 TSI is not new and used in other models, right? Also, I heard VWs have transmission problems. Those kind of things I'm looking for. What kind of complaints do you have?
      Perhaps the place to start is to test drive a present-generation 2017 VW Tiguan and compare it to a Honda CRV. (But, a previous generation CRV may be a more fair comparison, since the new Tiguan will be substantially revised.)

I think the advantages of the VW are: more power, better handling, more solid construction, and more headroom and legroom. The Tiguan sounds better (more solid) going over bumps, or when closing the doors. The current Tiguan is built in Germany (Osnabrück), and shares a lot of premium parts and components with Audi.

I think Honda advantages are: cheaper price, cheaper repairs, and cheaper maintenance. Aftermarket parts are more available. It uses regular gasoline.

If vehicle cost is the most important, Honda wins. If you want a more premium vehicle, VW wins (IMO).
      Last edited by Alpinweiss2; 02-17-2017 at 07:19 AM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Previous: 98 Golf GTI VR6-RIP; Current: 2015 Jetta TSI
      02-17-2017 11:45 AM #7
      I'll never buy another brand other than VW. The diesel fiasco was a dumpster fire, but **** happens. I will say, the handling of the buy back has been a cluster ****, and from those I know dealing with it, if it were me I probably wouldn't be buying another vw ever again. That could be the dealers fault or VW's fault. But that's neither here nor there.

They are some of the safest cars on the market. You want good news look into that. I myself totaled one and could have easily been hospitalized for a few weeks in any other car. I walked away with out a scratch. And this was a golf. Maintenance can be a bitch and get pricey, but with the resources available now and some will power there is not much that you can't fix yourself with a basic set of tools. Even the oil filters are now top side which makes it a lot easier than years past. If you keep up with the routine maintenance you will easily exceed your expectations.

Safety and longevity. You get more than what you pay for with a VW and that's why I'll never buy another brand.

Vehicles
      2016 Jetta Sport, 2002 Audi TT
      02-17-2017 12:10 PM #8
      If you stay on top of maintenance, they really aren't that bad. Granted, the cars aren't perfect and things can happen.

I would say that the one main issue with the TSI motor is carbon build up over time, generally it becomes an issue around 50k miles. From what we've seen, the Gen 3 motors aren't as bad as the Gen 1 TSI but it will still happen simply due to the direct injection.
      New German Performance
      Instagram / Facebook / Newsletter
      ------------------------------------------------------
      Looking for a part? Have a question? Feel free to contact me!
      jp@ngpracing.com / 1.877.German.1

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      02-17-2017 10:34 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Jason@NGP View Post
      I would say that the one main issue with the TSI motor is carbon build up over time, generally it becomes an issue around 50k miles. From what we've seen, the Gen 3 motors aren't as bad as the Gen 1 TSI but it will still happen simply due to the direct injection.
      In all fairness, I think most engines with direct injection (regardless of brand) have problems with carbon build up. I do not know of a solution, other than cleaning out the intake side with a walnut blast (or similar). As you stated, every 50k miles may be a reasonable interval for cleaning.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI SE, 2013 JSW TDI
      02-19-2017 05:45 AM #10
      I'm on my second VW after owning Honda's and Acura's for 20 years. Modern VW's have come a long way regarding reliability but you still can't treat them like a Honda. You need to do service by the book, using the approved fluids and products. The trade off is a more engaging driving experience and a more engaging ownership/maintenance experience.

11. 02-20-2017 09:00 AM #11
      German Engineering

- that should be convincing enough

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Phaeton v8 (G9R) Silver Mirror Metallic -/- 2009 Jetta Sedan TDI 6sp DSG Candy white
      02-27-2017 04:15 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by iamnotapainter View Post
      I'll never buy another brand other than VW. The diesel fiasco was a dumpster fire, but **** happens. I will say, the handling of the buy back has been a cluster ****, and from those I know dealing with it, if it were me I probably wouldn't be buying another vw ever again. That could be the dealers fault or VW's fault. But that's neither here nor there.

They are some of the safest cars on the market. You want good news look into that. I myself totaled one and could have easily been hospitalized for a few weeks in any other car. I walked away with out a scratch. And this was a golf. Maintenance can be a bitch and get pricey, but with the resources available now and some will power there is not much that you can't fix yourself with a basic set of tools. Even the oil filters are now top side which makes it a lot easier than years past. If you keep up with the routine maintenance you will easily exceed your expectations.

Safety and longevity. You get more than what you pay for with a VW and that's why I'll never buy another brand.
      Well Said! I second EVERY WORD!!

As Iamnotapainter stated, Safety and Longevity. I have 4 now, my second TDI, I went out and bought another TDI 09 jetta, just for spite. My neighbor has a Tig and loves it. I do most of my maintenance and again, as IAMNOTAPAINTER stated, basic tools and some time is all you need. The biggest advice I can give, I feel safe in a VW. From my new beetle to my 04 phaeton, both jettas in between, I FEEL great.

Welcome to the family by Bay Surfin, on Flickr

~Darren

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf Sportwagon TSI 4Motion
      03-02-2017 01:00 PM #13
      HI, long time lurker, but since I was in a recent accident, I felt the need to post.

I was in a head on collision in a 2016 Golf Sportwagen, lets just say it was totalled. As the other posters have said, it is a safe vehicle. I walked away from the head on collision with chest pain from the seat belt and a bruise on my wrist from the airbag.

There is a feature in the MK7 Golf called "Post Collision Response" (probably available in other models). Once the car knows it has been in a collision, it applies the brakes after the collision to prevent any further collisions, puts on the hazards, turns off the fuel pump and unlocks the doors. After the accident all I had to do was unfasten my seat belt and get out.

Vehicles
      DD 16 GTI S 4D DSG RES DELETE, NEUSPEED PM, CQUARTZ, AE LEDS, AKD; FUN CAR 911 997 CAB
      04-19-2017 06:10 PM #14
      It's a good car but I would get a Giulia instead.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-19-2017 09:51 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolaisnicer View Post
      It's a good car but I would get a Giulia instead.
      I have not yet driven an Alfa Romeo Giulia. The styling is really nice, IMO. I predict it will sell well.

But the Giulia is priced to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. A base model starts at almost $40k. It is not very price competitive with Volkswagen.
      Last edited by Alpinweiss2; 04-19-2017 at 09:55 PM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion

16. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      04-20-2017 12:41 PM #16
      Like a Rock, that requires careful maintenance. Seriously though the mk7 GTI feels so freaking solid and germanic when driving. I just wish the steering communicated a tad more roadfeel to my hands.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan Comfortline 4Motion
      04-20-2017 02:09 PM #17
      I am in the category of those why buy a car because of the looks; I am not a mechanic, I don't care about the technicality around a car, but I will buy it if I like it.
      If I don't like a car, even if it's the best car in the world, I won't buy it. Idiotic maybe, but... that's me: I need to like the car I drive. Period.

I own a VW, a BMW, and used to own an Audi which I passed it on to my son, and because of that I needed to find a mechanic specialized in German cars. Well, the guy told me - based on his experience of many years - the VWs are the best of these three in terms of least issues, and the quality/price ratio. He seems to be right because I had issues with the Audi and BMW, but none with the Tiguan.
      He also told me the German cars are not as reliable as the Japanese ones, but... if you treat your car well, it will last.

Buying a car, in my opinion, is a very personal issue, so... start with choosing a type of car you plan to buy (sedan, SUV, CUV, etc) and go and test drive everything in that category on the market. Pick 2-3 of them and start comparing performance, features, initial price, maintenance costs, etc.
      Maintenance will cost you more for a German car then a Japanese car. One example: VW oil (synthetic) change = around $150, Honda oil (synthetic) change = around $70.

I like my Tiguan, because I like the Tiguan, even if it is a less powerful engine then my BMW (both 2.0Ts), and even the cornering of the BMW is awesome compared to the Tiguan's.

Good luck !

Vehicles
      2004 DBP .:R32, 2013 JSW 2.5S MT
      04-21-2017 09:24 AM #18
      $150 for an oil change!? $75 and change here for VW full synth and filter. And that price is a recent increase. To the OP, drive them and convince yourself. It will be obvious to you.
      Last edited by quaudi; 04-21-2017 at 09:26 AM.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Tiguan Comfortline 4Motion
      04-21-2017 09:37 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by quaudi View Post
      $150 for an oil change!? $75 and change here for VW full synth and filter. And that price is a recent increase. To the OP, drive them and convince yourself. It will be obvious to you.
      Different countries (!)

Yeah, I have the invoice, and my son's wife has the invoice for her Honda.
      A friend of mine: $150 for his BMW oil change, and $71 for his Acura MDX (both at the corresponding dealers).

For advertising information click HERE