VWVortex.com - The NEW New Top Gear starts March 5th with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, and Rory Reid
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The NEW New Top Gear starts March 5th with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, and Rory Reid

1. 03-07-2017 11:50 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Much improved from the Evans detour. Less "Haha" funny than TGT (at least thus far), but I think the end result of the "fracas" is that we now have two quality motoring shows
      I think I really prefer the BBCs new formula for a car show vs TGT, but we're only one episode in. Scale back the setpiece segments and focus more on telling the story through the cars themselves and the personalities of the presenters. if TG can deliver 6 (or however many) more shows like the 1st one they'll have a winner. I even liked how the had their "star" hang out in between segments. Somehow it seemed to break up the interview portion and make it feel more natural. It's a small thing, but you can tell they're taking the time to really think about the format of the show and make improvements wherever they can. I'm excited to see the rest of the season/series.

I agree that either way, more choices is more gooder.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      03-07-2017 11:56 AM #52
      I enjoyed that quite a bit.

Vehicles
      E82M & V40 T4 R-Design
      03-07-2017 01:52 PM #53
      LeBlanc still doesn't really jive with me. His style seems so contrived compared to Reid and Harris. But the show has improved quite dramatically. There's a lot less of trying to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks.

Vehicles
      e92, LS1 S30
      03-07-2017 01:55 PM #54
      this first episode was worlds better than last season

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      03-07-2017 02:38 PM #55
      I really liked the first episode. The "talk show" format where they keep the guest there for the entire episode can get a little awkward feeling at times, but I don't really mind it too much after being distracted by the great FXXK and Kazakhstan films.

So glad Chris Evans is gone

Love how the real TG test track is back, and especially how the new celebrity car is a Toyota GT86 which they've dubbed a "Reasonably Fast Car"

Maybe it was just because it was the first episode, but this Extra Gear was lame. Didn't really enjoy the new host, and although I have a big man-crush on Chris Harris, I didn't really enjoy him yelling strange driving 'advice' at C-list British celebs. The Polestar bit was neat but way too short; I'd rather see more of that sort in Extra Gear instead of the interviews about the Top Gear films.
      Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 3/7]

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 2004 Accord EX, 2003 LS430
      03-07-2017 02:59 PM #56
      Really enjoyed the first episode of this season. A lot. Perhaps more than TGT, to be honest.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      03-07-2017 03:10 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Really enjoyed the first episode of this season. A lot. Perhaps more than TGT, to be honest.
      i'm looking forward to it (Sunday, BBC-Am)... i like these 3 and the previews are well done; glad for the changes from last series!

Vehicles
      03-07-2017 03:18 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      i'm looking forward to it (Sunday, BBC-Am)... i like these 3 and the previews are well done; glad for the changes from last series!
      They have genuine chemistry, are funny to watch, and each have interesting observations on cars. So kind of like the old 3 In fact Harris' childish giddiness at times sort of reminds me of Hammond in this episode.

Matt still feels a bit scripted/forced, but I think he'll settle in, he already seems way better than last season.

So glad the old test track is back, and the new reasonably fast car is a good choice IMO.
      Last edited by Shmi; 03-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Vehicles
      03-07-2017 03:26 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      I think I really prefer the BBCs new formula for a car show vs TGT, but we're only one episode in. Scale back the setpiece segments and focus more on telling the story through the cars themselves and the personalities of the presenters. if TG can deliver 6 (or however many) more shows like the 1st one they'll have a winner. I even liked how the had their "star" hang out in between segments. Somehow it seemed to break up the interview portion and make it feel more natural. It's a small thing, but you can tell they're taking the time to really think about the format of the show and make improvements wherever they can. I'm excited to see the rest of the season/series.

I agree that either way, more choices is more gooder.
      Yeah, I agree. In the old Top Gear, the interview portion would be something I'd skip sometimes because of lack of interest. But now that it's more spread out, it's easier to handle in smaller doses IMO. And a lot better than last season's dual guest setup, which made me cringe.

The new studio is super nice too! Love that they have a Countach hanging out as set decoration

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-07-2017 05:21 PM #60
      I think the lack of the British humour aspect of Matt is throwing some people off. I think the more we see of him in this new format, the better it will be. For me, Rory is probably more cringe-worthy than either of them, although Harris has the benefit of already being very well-known in this area.

Also really enjoyed the first episode and can align with others here that say it may even be better than TGT so far. I'm just glad we get basically 2x UK TG now. Not terribly sure about the new guest interview format, but it is MUCH more welcomed than the original way. Unless the guest was someone I was very interested in, I would often skip the interviews all together or go straight to the lap. The interview used to be 10m of wasted material for me. This feels a bit more natural, although they have effectively lost the news portion of the show which is another favourite segment of mine.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 03-07-2017 at 05:24 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

11. 03-07-2017 05:56 PM #61
      I think the lack of the British humour aspect of Matt is throwing some people off. I think the more we see of him in this new format, the better it will be.
      I think it's also that people have expectations or preconceptions for him already, so they can tell when he's "acting" because yep... there's Joey!

There's no real equivalent with Chris, and I don't know of one with Rory so it's harder to tell what's genuine and what's more coached/scripted from them. I just take it all in stride. As long as there are fewer obviously contrived bits on the show and the segments are more about the cars and peoples' relationships with them I'll be happy.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-07-2017 06:02 PM #62
      I think the lack of the British humour aspect of Matt is throwing some people off.
      No, it's definitely the delivery. He always sounds like he's reading off a cue card, which makes him sound phony and artificial. The others always seem like they're just saying what they're thinking. That's why he sticks out to me.

I have not seen the current season yet however, so hopefully "Joey" has toned it down a little.

Vehicles
      03-07-2017 06:19 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      No, it's definitely the delivery. He always sounds like he's reading off a cue card, which makes him sound phony and artificial. The others always seem like they're just saying what they're thinking. That's why he sticks out to me.
      This is what bugs me about him the most. I've seen him be genuinely spontaneous in interviews and stuff, so the forced delivery feels very off.

I have not seen the current season yet however, so hopefully "Joey" has toned it down a little.
      He has. It's still there, but not as bad, and at that it's mainly apparent in the studio and less so in the moment on challenges and interviews and stuff.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-07-2017 06:22 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      He has. It's still there, but not as bad, and at that it's mainly apparent in the studio and less so in the moment on challenges and interviews and stuff.
      Good to hear! I believe BBC USA will be airing the current season starting next weekend, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things have changed. And the various vehicles they drive.

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      03-07-2017 07:01 PM #65
      Did anyone else's DVR record a two minute commercial for this show? I was excited to see an instance of Top Gear to watch last night, only to find a 1:57 trailer.

Seriously, that was it. A 1:57 recording.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      03-07-2017 09:01 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Did anyone else's DVR record a two minute commercial for this show? I was excited to see an instance of Top Gear to watch last night, only to find a 1:57 trailer.

Seriously, that was it. A 1:57 recording.
      I got that as well.

Vehicles
      12 Ecoboosted Flex, 11 6-speed quad cab Frontier, recently sold02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      03-08-2017 06:53 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      I got that as well.
      Same here, thanks directv

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      03-08-2017 10:39 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      I got that as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      Well I got it on Comcast and half of it was the credits for something else.

03-12-2017 06:18 PM #69
      Didn't know styrofoam could cause such damage. Should have just used some cardboard?

Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      03-12-2017 06:29 PM #70
      I still haven't watched it yet. A bit hesitant. Maybe I'll try this week.

21. 03-12-2017 06:43 PM #71
      Ha! Totally forgot about it. Time to give it a watch

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-12-2017 09:03 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      Same, so what's the deal eh?!
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      03-12-2017 09:12 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      Same, so what's the deal eh?!
      It's weird. At first I thought it was a sneaky new way to remind us of an upcoming event.... Then I realized the only people getting this recorded commercial, are those who have it set to record.

Watching the first episode now. It's better than the Chris Evan's reboot. Harris and Reid have some catching up to do to Matt as far as on-camera presence, but they seem to be working well together.

Vehicles
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      03-12-2017 09:14 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      It's weird. At first I thought it was a sneaky new way to remind us of an upcoming event.... Then I realized the only people getting this recorded commercial, are those who have it set to record.

Watching the first episode now. It's better than the Chris Evan's reboot. Harris and Reid have some catching up to do to Matt as far as on-camera presence, but they seem to be working well together.
      So did it air on TV or did you get it through other means?
      signatures are annoying, right?

Vehicles
      03-12-2017 09:41 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by A.Wilder View Post
      So did it air on TV or did you get it through other means?
      It was on BBCAmerica tonight at 8 eastern. Watching Extra Gear now.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast