VWVortex.com - The NEW New Top Gear starts March 5th with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, and Rory Reid
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The NEW New Top Gear starts March 5th with Matt LeBlanc, Chris Harris, and Rory Reid

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Tricked out DeLorean. Fake M M235ix
      03-13-2017 02:34 AM #76
      After watching the second episode, I think its fantastic. I've been a big Harris fanboi for a long time, so i'm glad to see him doing well in the role.

I like how they aren't going for constant comedy and hoping something sticks. Instead, they have a few very well timed and funny jokes.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was the snowy race. It was obviously edited for excitement, which is somewhat expected. A car would get stuck and somehow catch up. The weather changed from snowing hard to being clear. It went from day to dusk. The lambo bumper was crammed with snow, but clear at the end.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      03-13-2017 05:23 AM #77
      I did not mind the first episode. Did not mind it at all!
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '15 Golf LE
      03-13-2017 05:34 AM #78
      When he hit that wall and shattered the windshield I lost it. Just hilarious. I really don't think that was planned at all.

Then the "I erected 4 seconds faster than you." Game over just hilarious. Well done. The hangover reference was good too.

The Beetle vs cow thing was dumb but the old trio had episodes with bad comparisons, not the hosts fault, just bad design.

Vehicles
      2014 Fiesta ST, 2004 Accord EX, 2003 LS430
      03-14-2017 09:55 AM #79
      I liked this episode a lot. Matt LeBlanc seemed a lot more natural and comfortable this time than last time, and I think he will be fine as time goes on. He's also pretty funny on the spot sometimes, like his reply when Harris was comparing the Porsche and Lambo to a marriage and a one-night stand, respectively.

I do wish Rory had been in that segment though, with a third 'supercar'. I feel like the three should be in on the challenges and trips together.

Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      I still haven't watched it yet. A bit hesitant. Maybe I'll try this week.
      It's worth it. Feels so much more natural and fun than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyMcFly88MPH View Post
      After watching the second episode, I think its fantastic. I've been a big Harris fanboi for a long time, so i'm glad to see him doing well in the role.

I like how they aren't going for constant comedy and hoping something sticks. Instead, they have a few very well timed and funny jokes.

The only thing that bothered me slightly was the snowy race. It was obviously edited for excitement, which is somewhat expected. A car would get stuck and somehow catch up. The weather changed from snowing hard to being clear. It went from day to dusk. The lambo bumper was crammed with snow, but clear at the end.
      Same here in regards to Harris. I like the guy a lot and his youtube videos were something I'd seek out and subscribe to just because he did a great job making you feel the thrill of driving, along with every other driving-related emotion, whether annoyance or exasperation or curiosity or just awe.

The snow race part bugged me a bit too in that it felt a bit scripted, but then, so did old Top Gear, and so does The Grand Tour, especially during significant events or races. Sometimes it's just blatantly obvious, but I let it slide knowing it's been going on for a long time for entertainment's sake, especially since they sometimes acknowledge it on screen.
      Quote Originally Posted by Dpaul04 View Post
      Dude, Im posting in TCL.. If I didn't know everything I wouldn't be here.
      Quote Originally Posted by Nubbin View Post
      Saying the P1 doesn't excite you because of hybrid is like saying you find Scarlett Johansson repulsive because she shares the same gender as Rosie O'Donnell.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      03-15-2017 12:09 AM #80
      Just finished the second episode.

Loving it so far and that ski slope race was pretty epic!

Great to see David Tennant too.

PS. What is it with bringing 2 Scottish blokes in a row ?
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

6. Senior Member
      03-15-2017 12:18 AM #81
      erm.... finally watched the first episode. Did it sober, might explain why it wasn't quite so entertaining. Harris berating the guests in the scooby wasn't funny. The Fxkkk is amazing. I think I liked it better last year, please hammer, don't hurt me.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      03-15-2017 12:31 AM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      erm.... finally watched the first episode. Did it sober, might explain why it wasn't quite so entertaining. Harris berating the guests in the scooby wasn't funny. The Fxkkk is amazing. I think I liked it better last year, please hammer, don't hurt me.
      I'd love to see a conversation between you and Chris Harris.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

8. Senior Member
      03-15-2017 12:36 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      I'd love to see a conversation between you and Chris Harris.
      Hey! His bit on the Fxkkk was my favorite segment of the show. That said, it would be a boring conversation, we would just stare at each other while Morty from Rick and Morty's extra gear brought us drinks and made uncomfortable small talk between us.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      03-15-2017 12:38 AM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Hey! His bit on the Fxkkk was my favorite segment of the show. That said, it would be a boring conversation, we would just stare at each other while Morty from Rick and Morty's extra gear brought us drinks and made uncomfortable small talk between us.
      Before or after kissing ?
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤

10. Senior Member
      03-15-2017 12:40 AM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Before or after kissing ?
      I'm not that kinda girl, heavy petting is expected, first.

Vehicles
      '13 Fiat 500e, '13 Golf R, '13 Tiguan SEL
      03-17-2017 07:40 PM #86
      Where can I watch this? Don't have cable but have pretty much all the streaming services (and obviously can watch it from my laptop)
      Wuste European Car Festival The West Coast's LARGEST European Car Show!

03-19-2017 06:39 PM #87
      Wow, he does look like a Bond villain Striking.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '17 bmw 328D Msport wagon, 1967 MGB GT SC, 1975 MGB SC
      03-19-2017 07:09 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDubber View Post
      Where can I watch this? Don't have cable but have pretty much all the streaming services (and obviously can watch it from my laptop)
      use a vpn and watch it directly on the bbc iplayer

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      03-20-2017 04:33 PM #89
      I'm about halfway through this week's ep and it feels pretty low-energy so far.

Love Tamsin Greig though, great guest, she's super funny on tv and I loved her giving Harris the speech in the car.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      03-20-2017 05:29 PM #90
      Much improved. I like it

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      03-20-2017 08:02 PM #91
      I just finished the Guilia test, Lamborghini vs Porsche episode. I liked it...it's getting better!
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      03-20-2017 09:59 PM #92
      The celebrity bit could use some work but not bad overall.

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '15 Golf LE
      03-21-2017 01:57 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      I'm about halfway through this week's ep and it feels pretty low-energy so far.

Love Tamsin Greig though, great guest, she's super funny on tv and I loved her giving Harris the speech in the car.
      I thought the opposite. Never heard of her. Was dry forced comedy. Wish they'd just ditch celebrities. Celebrity Brain Crash is better.

I love how they keep having Matt with this machinery obsession. You can tell he's truly having fun. I can't wait til they give him a car crusher or a bull dozer.

Loved the cinematography on the Aston/Merc portion, just wish they would have included Rory as a henchmen in the twingo ending was dumb, but can't win them all. I bet Matt had a say in this portion. You could see the joy in his face finally getting to be bond. Harris is a great bad guy. I could almost see this turning into a Christmas special. Agent LeBlanc has to escape somewhere in a second hand car while being chased by Mr Baldie and his loyal henchmen Rory and the Stig

The Clubsport S segment seemed staged, don't get me wrong it's an epic car, but the cars seems to slow quite a bit as she approached.

Still loving this. Too Gear and The Grand Tour are both going great I love it!

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      03-21-2017 05:47 AM #94
      I'm only two episodes in, and I really, really don't like Extra Geeah

I used to watch it to maybe get some Chris Harris B-roll, but now that Harris is on the show, it's just got nothing for me. It's just an awkward recap where the host interviews Reid and Harris, asking them to describe the show we just watched.

There are some things we don't need an "insider behind the scenes exclusive" of.

George: "So, you got to drive the new, exciting Ferrari FFX K?"
      Chris: "Yes"
      George "Was it exciting?"

Last edited by @McMike; 03-21-2017 at 10:24 AM.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940
      03-21-2017 08:59 AM #95
      Weakest of the three episodes, imo. Still good, but not great.

21. 03-21-2017 09:08 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      I'm only two episodes in, and I really, really don't like Extra Geeah.
      The choice of host is odd.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      03-21-2017 09:27 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      Have you seen this similar segment in that show Impractical Jokers? There is a short segment at the end of each show now with some dude with a microphone showing some behind the scenes footage and interviewing the cast. The host asks the same types of questions as are asked in Extra Geeah. "How did it feel when xxxx happened?" etc.

Since these interviews are happening on set, just after the taping of a reality-type show where their reactions have just been recorded, it seems silly. Some of the cast members took to the camera with a "WTF" looks before answering. Seems really forced and unnecessary.

I'll just stop watching Extra Geeah.

Vehicles
      Corrado Lysholm, 2014 Challenger R/T manual, 2013 Camaro SS Dusk Hurst manual & 2001 SVT Lightning
      03-21-2017 09:28 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      he is a strange little man that doesn't look comfortable in front of the camera at all.
      Muh cahs: allpic My 3 C's- Challenger, Camaro & Corrado -*Dusk Edition SS-*Group -*Challenger RT
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      The head gardeners name is Lawn?
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Hey leave him alone. Get off Mike Lawn.
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      All chaps are assless. If chaps have an ass then then they're pants.

24. 03-21-2017 09:32 AM #99
      Seems really forced and unnecessary.
      It is both, and a cheap time filler. It should be called "We had a lazy hour and a half, but even this stuff wasn't good enough to show you". If this was video of Clarkson throwing steaks at staff because they aren't done to his satisfaction, it would be a different animal.

The host's voice reminds me of the representatives of the Lollipop Guild. If the programming is fluff, a pretty girl or someone easier to listen to might be a better choice.
      Unofficial Feelings Manager for OT. http://www.npboards.com/index.php

"I am JIMP."

Vehicles
      '12 Mars Red Mercedes C63 AMG, '14 Scuba Blue Audi Q5, '97 Lapis Blue Ford Ranger
      03-21-2017 09:49 AM #100
      I'm only two episodes in, and I really, really don't like Extra Geeah

I used to watch it to maybe get some Chris Harris B-roll, but now that Harris is on the show, it's just got nothing for me. It's just an awkward recap where the host interviews Reid and Harris, asking them to describe the show we just watched.

There are some things we don't need an "insider behind the scenes exclusive" of.
      Agree 100%. Easy enough to skip, though.

I missed the first episode of the new season, but liked the new one. Definitely a bit less jokey-jokey than TGT or older TG, but great info. I really like Harris, and am genuinely interested in what he has to say in his reviews. I'll keep watching.
      My C63 AMG For Sale: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...nz-C63-AMG-P31

SOLD '15 Lapiz Blue VW Golf R, '13 Sepang Blue Audi S6, '11 Sprint Blue Audi S4, '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i, '04 Deep Blue Pearl VW R32

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast