VWVortex.com - Are "safety" features making us worse drivers?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Are "safety" features making us worse drivers?

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      02-17-2017 11:26 AM #151
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      I just wish we could disable ABS somehow.
      I don't really know why you'd want to, but it's typically no more difficult than pulling a fuse.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      02-17-2017 11:49 AM #152
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      I don't really know why you'd want to, but it's typically no more difficult than pulling a fuse.
      Snow. And I meant with a switch.
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

3. Senior Member
      02-17-2017 01:15 PM #153
      Quote Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
      Blah blah, I'll send you some bourbon so we are regular peeps as usual.

Such a tease

I'm actually shocked people don't realise this. FWIW I haven't owned a car with a switch to disable ABS that was made after the 90s.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      02-17-2017 01:20 PM #154
      Quote Originally Posted by turbinepowered View Post
      Safely? Or are you "just watch the lines and anyone behind you is gone anyway" safe?
      What are you talking about? You said you can't back up some modern cars. Is that true or not?
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      02-17-2017 02:09 PM #155
      Then put the fuse on a switch

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      02-17-2017 02:13 PM #156
      Quote Originally Posted by Tdi13golf View Post
      That's race track not street. On the track your entering a curve and want to maintain near max speed for that curve. On the street your doing well under the grip threshold and can apply full brakes while making an emergency lane change.
      Well I see you did not read at the link at all. They clearly divide track and street in it.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      N
      02-17-2017 03:24 PM #157
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      The irony is that same technology would make you believe you are indeed a Schumacher, akin to you thinking you are posting something clever.

Posts like yours is why 6 pages "DeeJoker"
      F1 racing banned launch control in 2004. Banned ecu traction control in 2008. Variable differential is also banned. ABS was banned. Traction control was banned in the 1990s when it was then a stand alone system.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      02-17-2017 03:49 PM #158
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Such a tease

I'm actually shocked people don't realise this. FWIW I haven't owned a car with a switch to disable ABS that was made after the 90s.
      I try.

My BMW bike has a switch. My Kawasaki has manual ABS with integrated manual bias control.
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 VW Golf GTI
      02-17-2017 04:13 PM #159
      I try.

My BMW bike has a switch. My Kawasaki has manual ABS with integrated manual bias control.
      Would this BMW bike also be the same one that comes with wheelie control? Never gotten to ride one but did see someone pick up a brand new one and try it out. even I was impressed.

10. Senior Member
      02-17-2017 05:34 PM #160
      You think, with time, it will become a feature unable to be ticked off except for 'race' or 'off road' settings like with cars? ABS is still newish enough on bikes today as it was on cars in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by jszucs View Post
      Would this BMW bike also be the same one that comes with wheelie control?
      I don't think her BMW can do a wheelie
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 CTS-V 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
      02-17-2017 06:11 PM #161
      I actually spent some time composing a wordier response but then deleted it.

The reality is that almost all of us including me aren't more talented or smarter than the computer nannies that save our lives. So, no, I dont think they are making us worse drivers, I instead think they are enabling us to live long enough to become better drivers. You could put 99% of all of us in a well sorted civic and the car would be capable of more than the driver. Then scale that up to a car like the CTS-V I drive? LOL give me a break you would have to be Michael Schumaker (pre coma)(don't firebomb my house) to get even close to 9/10ths of what the machine can do.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW Golf R
      02-17-2017 07:08 PM #162
      I don't think it is the safety features. I think it might be more of a selfishness/self-importance/self focused line of thinking. There is probably a better word to describe it.

On my commute there is a 4 way stop. I have been driving it for over 15 years. I have steadily watched as the use of traffic signals declined. As a result I have watched the number of near collisions rise along with the number of false starts as people turn without signaling. I have also watched the number of cars in the second spot, follow the lead car through the intersection without stopping, increase. These people aren't looking at phones or relying on safety features. They just seem to believe they are the most important person on the road. They know where they are going. It doesn't matter if you do.

I also drive a very short Y intersection where the left turn lane backs up due to the light. After about 3-4 cars, you can't reach the right lane to turn unless you drive the bike lane or partially off road. I have watched as the number of cars who use the bike lane and dirt to get around the single lane triple. Today I thought I would finally see someone get a ticket for driving in the bike lane, but nope it was just the police doing the same thing.

I also see people at one intersection line up blocking the main road to make an illegal u-turn due to the no u-turn sign because they can't drive 15 feet to the intersection with the turning lane.

I just don't know how you fix it short of completely overhauling licensing and driver's education. This would only be a start and still not address the core issues.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      02-18-2017 02:15 AM #163
      Quote Originally Posted by jszucs View Post
      Then put the fuse on a switch
      What am I, some sort of wizard?

Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      dark blue stick shift station wagon, shiny yellow motorbike, dirty green motorbike
      02-18-2017 08:05 AM #164
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      You think, with time, it will become a feature unable to be ticked off except for 'race' or 'off road' settings like with cars? ABS is still newish enough on bikes today as it was on cars in the 90s.
      Lack of wheelies aside, I think switchable ABS will go the way of the manual transmission and become an option you pay for. I believe that it will last a lot longer on enduros and dirt bikes, where wheel lockups are part of basic riding technique. Cruisers will never have switches, and I imagine neither will sportbikes or standards.

Edit - you didn't like my manual ABS?
      A(u). Klasse A, unbeschrankt, ungedrosselt
      Compared to a British roadster, all Volkswagens are reliable!

nevAr Lose - DE Minister of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Bankruptcy Controller - IPROfftopikstan, Den Mother - Team Emmett

15. Senior Member
      02-18-2017 08:13 AM #165
      Edit - you didn't like my manual ABS?
      Oh yeah, thought I commented it, but I guess I only thought I thought I did

For advertising information click HERE

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567