VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: $300 AMG daily... ohh yes

Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      02-16-2017 07:43 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      This, but thats INSANE! and it doesnt even have a check engine light!?!?!
      Soo happy no CEL is on it runs really well i am surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      That's a stunning deal for a driving car that doesn't need a major drivetrain component (transmission) or major body/paint work.
      The body could use a good buffing but overall its in good shape. Got new HID bulbs coming to match someone put in the wrong ones what a surprise..

Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      Wow, the seats looks to be in great shape.

Any plans for the stereo? I'm sure the nav map must be crazy out of date. Is the map on CD-ROM? Are there any suitable replacement that fits in the dash? And more importantly, a wiring harness adapter that works with the car?

But I would wait a bit until you can be sure the car has no major issues that's yet to reveal itself.
      Not at this moment radio works and is enough for me at the moment. Yes the NAV is CD-ROM, funny to use definitely out dated.

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      DIW

Remember how this thread started with an unloved, unmaintained car? High school mighty car mods is just more of the same.
      Yeah those days are gone for me, I prefer a nice car now that hides under the radar a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      First off, this car is not an AMG C32....at least I don't think it is. The ground effects are wrong and so are the wheels.

But whatever it is, the cost is so small, who cares? Great pickup.

Just find out what it really is.
      It is a C32 AMG i ran the VIN and the title and insurance all come up as C32 AMG. Just got in the wrong hands and they turn to crap over time.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      Matt, what are you seeing that looks wrong? I think the car is legit - front bumper is correct, AMG seats, and a 180 mph speedo, which I'm fairly sure only came on the AMG versions.

If it has a supercharger on that 6, that would confirm it.
      Yes AMG cluster, Supercharged V6 AMG engine

Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      So I wasn't going to say anything but since you did...I agree. It's wearing CLK wheels and is missing the AMG instrument cluster (AMG is etched in the middle).

Edit: Didn't see that it does have AMG in the cluster. I stand corrected. Definitely odd about the rebadging and wheels though. Regardless, enjoy the hell out of this OP!
      Sorry the flash got rid of it for some reason i'll take another pic
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD 7.3@102mph 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--
      13' BMW 335i M-sport EBII

Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      02-16-2017 07:48 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by callmedoc View Post
      You guys realize AMG wheels of any Mercedes are a pretty penny. Typically none are less than 1K/piece. Someone parted the car and made money on easy removable/profitable parts.

One of those seats is more than 300 dollars.

And how can you guys miss the eaton/roots type supercharger on that motor. That's a legit C32, albeit one with poor upkeep. A steal for the DIY'er, until a major driveline component fails. Then its
      game over.

Best of luck with her OP and nice find
      Pretty much this i wish i could find the whole story on it but whatever for what i have in it i'll enjoy a once 50k dollar car for penny's haha.
      02 GTi 1.8T haldex'd w/35r-SOLD 7.3@102mph 27psi on 93 octane--04 A4 1.8T converted to AWD also- SOLD--'11 JSW Tdi 6speed Manual- Gone--

3. 02-16-2017 07:51 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by O2VW1.8T View Post
      Soo happy no CEL is on it runs really well i am surprised.

The body could use a good buffing but overall its in good shape. Got new HID bulbs coming to match someone put in the wrong ones what a surprise..

Not at this moment radio works and is enough for me at the moment. Yes the NAV is CD-ROM, funny to use definitely out dated.
      Im almost shocked. I would have expected at least a cat below efficiency code, or a couple failed O2 sensors.

I just replaced the HID bulbs in my 02 A4, and I think what was in there was original. Even the cheap amazon D1S replacements ($18 shipped) were a night and day difference.

For the radio check ebay for aux input/usb adapters. They are pretty cheap for many cars, and just use the CD changer input to create an aux port. I got one for $25 for my A4.

02-16-2017 08:52 PM #79
      Is the cooling system OK? I would just flush it out just so I could sleep at nights And check the hoses, expansion tank and any fittings for cracks.

And there were doubts the car is a C32? Looking at the photo of the engine posted by the OP, it sure looks like a supercharged V6 for a C32.

Vehicles
      A mullet, a cracked piston, and an Espresso.
      02-16-2017 09:04 PM #80
      Is the cooling system OK? I would just flush it out just so I could sleep at nights And check the hoses, expansion tank and any fittings for cracks.

And there were doubts the car is a C32? Looking at the photo of the engine posted by the OP, it sure looks like a supercharged V6 for a C32.
      People are just being overly skeptical.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      02-16-2017 09:21 PM #81
      Just a refresher.

"I owe it to myself, and to my choir students, to not be upset about barns."

Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      02-17-2017 06:32 AM #82

Seems to be haha, I will change it out next weekend. Just changed the trans fluid did 2 drain and fills so about 6 quarts going to do it again next week. No leaks at all besides a little bit from the valve covers.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Just a refresher.

Awesome... They're great cars im actually surprised as i would never buy one because i liked the M3's more but now my mind is changed. That is if you can handle it being a auto.

Vehicles
      Hopes and Dreams
      02-17-2017 08:30 AM #83
      Sweet deal! I'm glad you fixed stuff and made the current modifications to make it run and not run out and blow a million dollars on it. People now days are afraid to not fix everything at once when the car will run fine doing a couple things here and there.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      02-17-2017 10:29 AM #84
      Awesome... They're great cars im actually surprised as i would never buy one because i liked the M3's more but now my mind is changed. That is if you can handle it being a auto.
      That's the crux of it right there. Also, you know, Mercedes maintenance costs.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

10. 02-17-2017 10:36 AM #85
      So it is legit.

Jesus.

FOr $300, I would go buy a few lottery tickets too.
      Matt
      2014 Volkswagen Jetta GLI Edition30, Pure White/Black V-tex/carbon
      2016 Honda Accord Sport CVT w/ HondaSensing, Crystal Black Pearl/Black

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2 Audis, 2 Hondas, 1 BMW
      02-17-2017 10:58 AM #86
      $300 is most certainly a crazy deal, a no brainer for a car enthusiast. In decent shape they sell for $8-10K. Even very high mileage ones get $5-6K.

A former co-worker bought a SLK32 new ($55K) back in 2002. It got very little respect from the car guys in the office that though he shoulda bought a Boxster S or MZ3 (or even an S2K) because 3 pedals. All I knew was it was the fastest 2 seater in the parking lot. Powertrain was very stout!

Vehicles
      2011 Kia Sorrento / 10 WRX
      02-17-2017 11:16 AM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by 4motionvr6dub View Post
      Viscosity is not the only thing you should be following. The oil should also meet the proper quality standards such as VW 501 01, 502 00, 505 00. The oil the OP is using says "Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil" right on the jug, so maybe there is such a thing as diesel or petrol oil. I know the TDIs pump soot into the engine oil (don't know if this is true of all diesels), so perhaps some "diesel oils", are formulated bit differently for this purpose. I wonder what the benefits would be, if any, when using "diesel oil" in a gasoline car.

The T6 we see above has great "detergents" and a high Zinc content. Been used by FI guys for its great anti shearing properties. Only thing I run.
      Demokratikally Elekted Direktor and Konveyor of Positive Vibrations for the Independent People's Republik of Offtopikstan
      Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkAnalyst View Post
      I am the Fgt
      greenie: i'm banging my mechanic

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      02-17-2017 11:30 AM #88
      Damn... Normally I wouldn't touch a high mileage German car with a ten foot pole, nor any automatic, nor a car that trashed, but I would have hit that for $300. Congrats, OP.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Rather than being all Mr Money Moustache about this, I'd say go for it and be Mr SS Mustache about it but that has a whole different historical implication.
      Every person in TCL who has the means to buy one [a Chevy SS] but doesn't right now should be shot. Sorry, I've spent too much time in the Florida gun thread today.

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      02-17-2017 11:34 AM #89
      FYI, changing that worn knob on the Comand is a giant job. You would think you could just pop it off and stick a new one on, nope. I've done a few of them over the years and I still get nervous.

Basically the entire Comand system has to come out and put on a bench. The the Comand system splits in three different pieces via a million little tiny screws. You have lay the screen face down once it's apart and extract the knob from the back (so basically the insides) all while not moving the face because the buttons will go flying everywhere. I usually do both knobs while I am in there since it's such a big job. One time I forgot one little screw and had to tear the entire thing apart again because I had a rattle.

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      02-17-2017 12:48 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      People are just being overly ignorant.
      Saying posters were "skeptical" is a kind misnomer. More like all too eager to prove someone else wrong on the internet.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Vehicles
      2015 GTi 6speed
      02-17-2017 09:26 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      So it is legit.

Jesus.

FOr $300, I would go buy a few lottery tickets too.
      My co-workers always say to play the lotto

Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      FYI, changing that worn knob on the Comand is a giant job. You would think you could just pop it off and stick a new one on, nope. I've done a few of them over the years and I still get nervous.

Basically the entire Comand system has to come out and put on a bench. The the Comand system splits in three different pieces via a million little tiny screws. You have lay the screen face down once it's apart and extract the knob from the back (so basically the insides) all while not moving the face because the buttons will go flying everywhere. I usually do both knobs while I am in there since it's such a big job. One time I forgot one little screw and had to tear the entire thing apart again because I had a rattle.
      I'll look into it after i fix a few things first. It doesn't bother me too much yet.

But some more recent pictures almost got 23mpg going to work this morning

Is the AMG side badge original or should i order the V6 Kompressor

Also has factory benz all weather floor mats

cup holder works great but a pretty dumb design

17. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      02-17-2017 09:42 PM #92
      AMG "badge clones" were and I guess are still quite popular on the used market.
      It's possible the AMG wheels where stolen at some point.
      "I owe it to myself, and to my choir students, to not be upset about barns."

18. 02-17-2017 09:57 PM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by 4motionvr6dub View Post
      Viscosity is not the only thing you should be following. The oil should also meet the proper quality standards such as VW 501 01, 502 00, 505 00. The oil the OP is using says "Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil" right on the jug, so maybe there is such a thing as diesel or petrol oil. I know the TDIs pump soot into the engine oil (don't know if this is true of all diesels), so perhaps some "diesel oils", are formulated bit differently for this purpose. I wonder what the benefits would be, if any, when using "diesel oil" in a gasoline car.
      The API rating is what you look for http://www.api.org/products-and-serv...oil-categories The rest is BS.

Viscosity is a ballpark and depends on your temp range and climate. Pretty normal to run 0-40 where it's cold and 20-50 in somewhere hot like FL or the SW when it's summer.

Those VW rating mean JACK all now that dieselgate came out. They were ash ratings for DPF life. Higher rating, less ash in the DPF/exhaust.

Vehicles
      2014 JSW TDI + 1988 GLI 16V
      02-17-2017 10:01 PM #94
      Amazing deal! Good luck with it, OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      02-18-2017 10:09 AM #95
      AMG "badge clones" were and I guess are still quite popular on the used market.
      It's possible the AMG wheels where stolen at some point.
      This is not a clone and the stock wheels were nothing special. My car has the 18" version with slightly more lip/dish to them, but they're still not forged and cost almost $1,300/each. No bueno.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      02-18-2017 11:33 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      Those VW rating mean JACK all now that dieselgate came out. They were ash ratings for DPF life. Higher rating, less ash in the DPF/exhaust.
      There were/are also additives to keep the cam lobes that actuated the injectors in TDI PD engines from grinding themselves away into nothing. And those newer TDIs that get fixed and put back on the road will still have DPFs and ash, so I think VW's ratings are certainly still valid.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2004 A6 3.0
      02-18-2017 12:33 PM #97
      $300, smh, what a deal
      Audi TT FAQ --- Great Lakes TCL Registry --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap

Waiting impatiently for the end of March...

23. 02-18-2017 02:18 PM #98
      Well done for saving quite a special, rare, enthusiast car. I've always had a soft spot for these, what a steal, I think most are jelly, I certainly am!

24. 02-18-2017 10:08 PM #99
      That looks pretty darn good for 300 bucks and a bit of fiddling to put things right. Good find!

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      02-18-2017 10:17 PM #100
      cup holder works great but a pretty dumb design
      Then they're better than E39 cupholders. #neverforget #firstworldproblems

...And damn, you've got that interior looking good. Well done!
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Rather than being all Mr Money Moustache about this, I'd say go for it and be Mr SS Mustache about it but that has a whole different historical implication.
      Every person in TCL who has the means to buy one [a Chevy SS] but doesn't right now should be shot. Sorry, I've spent too much time in the Florida gun thread today.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast