Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge

Thread: Dealer cold calls.

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      02-16-2017 07:44 PM #1
      Monday I got a cold call from the dealer I bought my ST from. They asked if I was interested in trading it in, and I said yes. As I find myself no longer a car guy, but I still love the car for what it is. Which makes me want to get another Eco-Boost engine. They asked me a couple questions, what I want, and I told them.

A crew cab, 2wd, in work truck spec, and the only features I care about is power windows/door locks. Besides the fact I would want another Eco-Boost, and I would prefer the rubber floor instead of carpet.

So it's been 3 days, and I have not heard back. Now I am getting curious as to why, but I can not call to find out why.

Is this because they do not have the vehicle I would prefer or possibly they forgot about lonely old me? I half expected to get a call saying we have some higher spec, and we could do X deal.
      Focus ST which stands for Suspension Technologies.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 M3, 2004 X3
      02-16-2017 07:53 PM #2
      From what I've seen, some salespeople just show up for work and have no burning desire to make sales.

I told one salesman (that I bought a previous car from) that I was getting ready to buy a new car. He was pleasant, gave me a test drive, and then never followed up. I called and left him a message recently said I was ready to buy. He never called me back. Whatever, I bought the car from another dealer who had a salesman who was interested in making a deal.

The salesman that called you was probably given a list of people he had to call. He made the calls just like his bossman told him to. End of story.

I wonder about the commission car salesmen earn. I'm sure there's plenty on TCL. What's up with this type of behavior? Some salesmen don't get commission? The commission is so low it's not worth working hard for?

Vehicles
      2017 Q5 3.0T
      02-16-2017 08:22 PM #3
      99% chance the person you talked to was not even a salesperson. Most dealerships have a BDC (call center) that calls with a very generic script that they want to buy your car back and set a VIP appointment for you to come in. Their only goal is to set an appointment or create a lead to pass on to the sales team.

Thousands of dealerships will also outsource those calls to a company like mine or a competitor. Some of them are not very competent and may not have pushed the information back to the sales team properly, or it was and no one from sales has called the lead (you).

Vehicles
      A mullet, a cracked piston, and an Espresso.
      02-16-2017 09:07 PM #4
      Either they were an under motivated salesman, or some temp type making cold calls for $7.50 an hour.

02-16-2017 10:41 PM #5
      I imagine the poor guy had a heart attack from the shock of a cold call actually finding an interested customer.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      02-17-2017 06:37 AM #6
      The dealer that called you is wasting resources. You should have been called back within hours of the first conversation, preferably by the salesperson you dealt with previously or a sales manager. Call their competitors in the area and do the deal with one of them instead.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      02-17-2017 12:41 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      The dealer that called you is wasting resources. You should have been called back within hours of the first conversation, preferably by the salesperson you dealt with previously or a sales manager. Call their competitors in the area and do the deal with one of them instead.
      That is what I thought. While I am not actively looking for a new truck if a great deal came down I likely would go for it.

That means it does things magically. In such ways I can not describe, but it is better in every way.

Vehicles
      2017 Q5 3.0T
      02-17-2017 12:53 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by MAC View Post
      Correct, but most likely its not the person who called him that dropped the ball. He did his job and created the lead but sales failed to follow up on it in a timely manner.

As someone stated earlier, most salesman are very reluctant to hit the phones even when given a list. Which is why they use the BDC to make the calls and set them up with appointments. Was the call along the lines of "We recently sold a lot of Ford Focuses and would like to replenish our used inventory with vehicles like yours. If we could get you into a new vehicle and keep your payments around the same would you consider coming in for a VIP appointment with our sales manager?"

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      02-17-2017 01:12 PM #9
      My favorite trick with cold calls is to sound enthusiastically interested on the first cold call, then act completely befuddled on the follow up call - "What? I have no idea what you're talking about...no, I don't want a new truck. Who did you even talk to? Are you sure you had the right number?"

Drives them insane
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

Vehicles
      '05 GTI 1.8BT
      02-17-2017 02:28 PM #10
      Its becasue they wanted you to trade in a vehicle that they coudl easily resell and then purchase a new vehicle that has high mark ups or has high incentives for them to sell. Because you asked for something that htey wouldn't make a bunch of money on they gave up.

Uusually its trade in your 2-3 year old car for a brand new version of the same car is what they are trying to get you to do. I get offers on my truck all the time because of its configuration and they want to put me in a brand new truck.
      *Insert old signature here.

Vehicles
      2017 Q5 3.0T
      02-17-2017 02:42 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by supermega1 View Post
      I get offers on my truck all the time because of its configuration and they want to put me in a brand new truck.
      I bet you think strippers like you too

All jokes aside, I don't know any dealers that actually target a customer with a specific car, but they do try to make you think that. It's usually a campaign based on equity or broader factors.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      02-17-2017 05:35 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Veedubya View Post
      Correct, but most likely its not the person who called him that dropped the ball. He did his job and created the lead but sales failed to follow up on it in a timely manner.

As someone stated earlier, most salesman are very reluctant to hit the phones even when given a list. Which is why they use the BDC to make the calls and set them up with appointments. Was the call along the lines of "We recently sold a lot of Ford Focuses and would like to replenish our used inventory with vehicles like yours. If we could get you into a new vehicle and keep your payments around the same would you consider coming in for a VIP appointment with our sales manager?"
      The call was along the line of were blah blah Ford dealer, and we're wondering if I was looking to trade up.
      I answered yes I kind of wish I got a crew cab truck instead.
      She said F150 crew?
      Yes.
      Any features your looking for or trim level.
      Basic work truck with a Eco-Boost motor.
      OK we will check and have someone follow up.
      I said thanks, and assumed I would be getting a call on my way home.

I was in a machine room cleaning up when they called, but I think I got most of the conversation.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Focus ST
      02-17-2017 05:43 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by supermega1 View Post
      Its becasue they wanted you to trade in a vehicle that they coudl easily resell and then purchase a new vehicle that has high mark ups or has high incentives for them to sell. Because you asked for something that htey wouldn't make a bunch of money on they gave up.

Uusually its trade in your 2-3 year old car for a brand new version of the same car is what they are trying to get you to do. I get offers on my truck all the time because of its configuration and they want to put me in a brand new truck.
      I accept my tastes are basic, but I had 1/2 figured they would offer up XLT. Then we would negotiate from there.

For advertising information click HERE