VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't look good for the BMW i8

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      02-16-2017 08:29 PM #1
      Depreciation own goal: Wayne Rooney's BMW i8 (pictured) loses almost a third of its original value after just one year, a new study said

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/car...te-slowly.html

Before some tabloid nazis jump on DM, this comes from another site WeBuyAnyCar.com

Consolation, the R8 does worse.

Vehicles
      A Few Alphas
      02-16-2017 08:42 PM #2
      The i8 does nothing well. And most luxury cars are going to lose a good chunk anyways.

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-16-2017 08:52 PM #3
      What's the average depreciation for the average non limited or non M model BMW? The average for most cars is usually what....20% the first year? I doubt if the average BMW is too much less than the i8.
      I feel like this has all happened before.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      02-16-2017 09:36 PM #4
      How is that "not looking good?"

The i8 is successful. Almost every sports car depreciates (as do hybrids in general). BMW has plans to extensively update the i8 over the next few years. It's not going anywhere.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      02-16-2017 09:58 PM #5
      This car might have the worst performance:price ratio of all time, and once the novelty of the styling wears off it's not that good looking either
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      02-16-2017 10:04 PM #6
      this car was a flop right out of the gate anyways, there was no way it was going to improve with age lol.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD
      02-16-2017 10:16 PM #7
      When I saw it, the quality of the body panels did hit me. Poor.

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      02-16-2017 11:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by BlakeV View Post
      When I saw it, the quality of the body panels did hit me. Poor.
      They're made of carbon fibre, not plastic..I'm not sure why you think they're poor quality?

Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      this car was a flop right out of the gate anyways, there was no way it was going to improve with age lol.
      Lol What? It's been highly successful, as has the entire "i" brand. At the time of its release there was a 10 month waiting list in the UK. Hardly a "flop".

Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      This car might have the worst performance:price ratio of all time, and once the novelty of the styling wears off it's not that good looking either
      Again, what? It's priced similar to a Jaguar F-Type or a 911, gets very similar performance figures and crushes both in efficiency/gas mileage.
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      02-17-2017 12:17 AM #9
      It is nice to see i8 and R8 depreciate like a falling stone.... I hope these depreciate kings are apply in North American as well. I may have a better chance to own an used one in future. Specially BMW i8, it is probably the "cheapest" car with "billionaire door" (in North America)...
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      02-17-2017 12:21 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      02-17-2017 01:04 AM #11
      In terms of depreciation I appreciate the appeal of an i8 more than a Wayne Rooney.

I see spoiled kids in these all the time.
      Honking at one Camry at a time

12. Member
      Vehicles
      911TT 911T 968 TDITreg
      02-17-2017 01:10 AM #12
      As stated.. high tech gadget, does nothing well = terrible depreciation.

Vehicles
      2015 981 GTS, 2008 Taco
      02-17-2017 01:12 AM #13
      I've never liked the i8, especially when i saw the price tag. I think it's ugly and those skinny tires and disgusting wheels aren't doing its looks any favors...

I would rather have almost any other sports car in it's price range. $140k for that? LOL!
      "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." -H. L. Mencken

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      02-17-2017 02:14 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post

Again, what? It's priced similar to a Jaguar F-Type or a 911, gets very similar performance figures and crushes both in efficiency/gas mileage.
      Its performance is more on par with a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT than the versions of the F-Type or 911s that are comparable in price. And nobody (literally not one single person) that spends that much money on that type of car cares about gas mileage
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Dodge Dakota, Moto Guzzi 850T
      02-17-2017 04:46 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      The i8 does nothing well. And most luxury cars are going to lose a good chunk anyways.
      Yeah, the article even points out other cars that lose more in a year, and pretty much any high-end luxury car (7-series, S-class, A8) loses a similar amount of value.
      "Motorcycles - the cigarettes of transportation." Seth Meyers

Vehicles
      MY16 VW Golf 1.4 TSI R-Line (prev. owner: VW AG, Wolfsburg)
      02-17-2017 04:57 AM #16
      Its performance is more on par with a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT than the versions of the F-Type or 911s that are comparable in price. And nobody (literally not one single person) that spends that much money on that type of car cares about gas mileage
      Nobody, literally not one single person, in the US seems to get that fuel efficiency isn't only about a smaller gas bill, it's also about smaller CO2 emissions, i.e. saving the environment. This car sells to those who a) make ideological choises and b) want something futuristic.

This is one of those cars that you shouldn't judge only as one single model. This is a step on the development path towards the future of sportive motoring. At some point you have to productize your R&D work to get real world experience, even if it wasn't quite there yet.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      02-17-2017 06:22 AM #17
      The guy I know that owns one is 70 something and slightly overweight. Watching him open the door and flop himself backwards into the seat is .

The rest of his vehicle fleet, other than his wifes 335 convertible, is all corvettes (4 of them ranging from '67 to '15). He bought this thing for bad weather and when his wife wanted to go out to dinner and "make a quiet entrance". Performance and gas mileage had absolutely nothing to do with it. It was solely for looks and conversation bait at the golf club.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      The "U.N." garage: 3 British, 3 German, 2 Japanese, 1 American.
      02-17-2017 08:52 AM #18
      I'm curious if those of you who are negative on this car have ever driven one? I have not, so I don't comment on anything other than its looks (which I personally like, as a slightly futuristic statement car). I am generally of the view that your opinion on a car's usefulness or desirability is less valid until you have spent some time driving it. Otherwise you're just repeating what you have heard, read, or assumed. Not every car you drive has to be the fastest in its class to be enjoyable. If you drive it, you might just get out and say "I like that". As others here have pointed out, there are many factors that a buyer might value that have nothing to do with 0-60 times, skidpad Gs, or rich Corinthian leather.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      02-17-2017 09:13 AM #19
      I drove the one I discussed above for about 5 minutes. I found it fairly similar to a tesla. Nothing very interesting about it aside from the torque and seamless acceleration. So I think of it like a tesla with a lot more eyeball appeal and annoying entry and exit.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

02-17-2017 09:32 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      It is nice to see i8 and R8 depreciate like a falling stone.... I hope these depreciate kings are apply in North American as well. I may have a better chance to own an used one in future. Specially BMW i8, it is probably the "cheapest" car with "billionaire door" (in North America)...
      I agree, that Bimmer is a real looker. But than again I have the hots for the more conventional Alfa 4C too.
      I'm a 1 percenter, who actually uses turn signals over 99% of the time for lane changes and turns too, even on my motorcycle

21. Member
      Vehicles
      98 740iL, 15 i3 REX, 01 Saab 9-5 Aero, 13 Mini Clubbie S, 01 Dakota QC 4X4 4.7
      02-17-2017 09:46 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      I'm curious if those of you who are negative on this car have ever driven one? I have not, so I don't comment on anything other than its looks (which I personally like, as a slightly futuristic statement car). I am generally of the view that your opinion on a car's usefulness or desirability is less valid until you have spent some time driving it. Otherwise you're just repeating what you have heard, read, or assumed. Not every car you drive has to be the fastest in its class to be enjoyable. If you drive it, you might just get out and say "I like that". As others here have pointed out, there are many factors that a buyer might value that have nothing to do with 0-60 times, skidpad Gs, or rich Corinthian leather.
      I often feel the say way.

Since nearly everyone seems to base their opinions on what auto "journalist" posted on YouTube or whatever, getting out and driving a car never seems to happen. I don't consider 0-60 in 4 seconds subpar for an AWD hybrid coupe. The rear seats can easily be used for luggage. Access sucks (what car in this category doesn't) but once your are in, it is a very comfortable place to be - and quite roomy. We also need to remember that in Europe, where CO2 emissions matter, BMW sells a good number of them. Some drivers over there actually care about the recyclability of the car, and emission, and fuel economy. It is rated at 20% more fuel efficient than, say, a 911 when NOT charged.

Has anyone looked at the trade in values on any large Euro sedan? I bet the trade in value vs. sticker is similar, since they take a bath on the depreciation scale as well. If the car is selling for 25% of its sticker, and the dealer wants to make 10%, the numbers aren't that different.

02-17-2017 09:47 AM #22
      Rich people have the luxury of choice and many i8 owners probably own several high end cars.

Wayne Rooney from the OP owns cars from Aston Martin, Range Rover, Bentley, and Lamborghini all in addition to the i8.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      91 Galant VR-4, 01 S2000, 12 CTS-V Wagon
      02-17-2017 10:06 AM #23
      There is a guy who lives one block over from me who has one. It's always parked on the street and I never see it plugged in to charge.
      Past: 08.5 Mazdaspeed3 | 96 Buick Roadmaster Estate | 84 Mercedes 300D | 04 Mazda3 5-dr | 91 Mitsubishi GVR4 | 88 Sterling 825SL | 87 Sterling 825S | 86 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

24. Member
      Vehicles
      N
      02-17-2017 10:12 AM #24
      We love our i3. The driving dynamics is what the car delivers. I'm not a tree hugger or a snowflake. So the EV or saving polar bears want my goal. We wanted a fun and effeicent city car and the i3 is it. If the i8 has the same quality of driving dynamics then it would be a great car. Most all high end cars loose value.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      02-17-2017 10:20 AM #25
      And nobody (literally not one single person) that spends that much money on that type of car cares about gas mileage

I'll disagree with you on this.

And, if they don't, they may want to give the perception of caring.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast