VWVortex.com - 1986 Cabby weber 32/36 carb swap from CIS....fuel pump help needed
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1986 Cabby weber 32/36 carb swap from CIS....fuel pump help needed

Vehicles
      07' Rabbit & 86' Cabby
      02-21-2017 07:10 PM #1
      Ok guys, I got a 1986 cabby. 1.8 liter 8v CIS.
      I am not messing with the cis garbage anymore.
      I have the redline weber kit with the redline fuel pump.
      I know I need to remove the external pump.
      But do I leave the intank fuel pump hooked up and run the redline pump under the hood?
      Or do I put the redline pump under the car where the external cis pump was?

Any other ideas would be great.
      Thanks
      Nothing interesting here.

2. 02-21-2017 10:48 PM #2
      The most fool proof way of dealing with the fuel system is to leave the high and low pressure pumps in place. Run a by-pass pressure regulator befor the carb. The excess fuel pressure will run to the fuel return line and the proper low pressure will be fed to the carb. I did this on my 92 cabriolet and was more than happy when I no longer had to deal with vapor lock or not being able to get the last 2 gallons of fuel out of the tank...

Vehicles
      '87 Alpine White Cabriolet' 12 Chevy Cruze ECO
      03-20-2017 05:22 PM #3
      ^ Would running it that way result in a lot of fuel flow back to the tank, resulting in higher gas temperatures from the constant cycling?

Does the pressure valve result in the high pressure pump not "feeling" a lot of resistance in the system? And do we know if the high pressure pump would put out a low volume, or high volume of fuel in that kind of circuit?

I ask because I will probably be dealing with this in the future on my Cabby as well.

Vehicles
      07' Rabbit & 86' Cabby
      03-23-2017 06:35 AM #4
      We will find out soon. I bought a regulator designed to handle the high cis fuel pressure. I am going to try to work on it this weekend.
      Nothing interesting here.

5. 03-23-2017 06:58 AM #5
      I would just use the in-tank pump to feed the carb and by-pass the main pump. if I remember right, the in-tank pump flows 300ml/10 secs,

6. 03-26-2017 08:34 AM #6
      after giving this some thought, i'm not so sure my suggestion would be ideal, as there is no fuel reservoir around the in-tank pump, which would lead to fuel starvation on long bends. so I throw my hands up on that one

7. Member
      Vehicles
      81 Rabbit, 85 Gti, 94 Jetta, 87 Gti16V, and 01 Gti.
      03-26-2017 09:13 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by garryt View Post
      I would just use the in-tank pump to feed the carb and by-pass the main pump. if I remember right, the in-tank pump flows 300ml/10 secs,
      I used that method, and it worked fine. I bypassed the main pump then put an in-line low pressure pump in the Engine bay. The in-line pump was a 7-9 psi low press pump. I didn't have many issues with starvation once I got a good electric pump (I killed two lower quality pumps at first). I did this on my 85 Gti, should see no issues doing it this way on a cabby 8v.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE