VWVortex.com - TCL Great Lakes Region Registry - Do you like Road Salt, Brats, and Flat Land?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TCL Great Lakes Region Registry - Do you like Road Salt, Brats, and Flat Land?

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      02-26-2017 12:10 PM #1
      Who needs winding roads and bagels with schmear? We've got potholes, lake shores, and enough tube meats to sustain a small ice fishing shack for a whole winter. We argue about snow tires vs. AWD. We relish the 1st day of "nice" weather by driving with all the windows down, which is typically the first time it hits 50* in March (**** your palm trees). We drive our cars through hot summers and snowy winters, deal with some of the best and worst roads, have a wrenching "season," and do what we can to enjoy cars regardless of what this area of the country throws at us. The majority of US car makers were, and still are here, and there are remnants of the industry all over the area. What's going on around the Great Lakes? Are there any good fests? What kind of wrenching did you get done this weeekend? Did you drive 25 miles on straight roads to enjoy 2 miles of curvy roads?

Let's see what's going on in our neck of the country! Did you wrench this weekend? Any good roadtrips lately? Does anyone want to try to get some GTGs or cruises going? How do you enjoy the 5 months of nice weather per year?

Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      02-26-2017 12:23 PM #2
      This thread is all me.

I am the midwestern car guy living on the WI/IL line. I work in the in industry, drive a Jeep daily and have a Camaro SS for the nice weather days. As for plans, I just registered for the Hot Rod Power Tour and am ordering a new Borla exhaust for the Camaro here in the next day or two. Also, I went to the Chicago auto show twice a few weeks ago. I love me some tube meats and cruises down some country back roads while listening to my exhaust roar and country music crank.

Personally, it's my favorite part of the country and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Life is a bit simpler out here and the people are friendlier.

Last edited by RollingInDubs; 02-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

Vehicles
      swedish POS, one of 341 made, Montego blue 5M LSD NA.
      02-26-2017 12:25 PM #3
      It was 70 on Wednesday, then it dropped to high 20s which was still warmer than average. I didn't have time to take the hardtop off the Miata and take it out.

If anyone goes to Road America in Elkhart Lake, I live under 10 minutes away and know of some decent curves in the area.

A cruise is a fun idea but there are only a few active members in Wisconsin.
      Typical forum guy with busted third-hand cars.
      Quote Originally Posted by Kiyokix View Post
      I like this guy, I like this guy a lot.
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      02-26-2017 12:28 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      It was 70 on Wednesday, then it dropped to high 20s which was still warmer than average. I didn't have time to take the hardtop off the Miata and take it out.

If anyone goes to Road America in Elkhart Lake, I live under 10 minutes away and know of some decent curves in the area.

A cruise is a fun idea but there are only a few active members in Wisconsin.
      Count me in for Elkhart Lake. That's on my bucket list this year. I'm just outside Clinton WI so not too far away.
      I shall continue carrying the torch for old school muscle while you lay down for the new deities like Automaticus (the god of clutchless ahifting), and Suspensionum (the patron saint of neutral handling).

Vehicles
      02-26-2017 12:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RollingInDubs View Post
      Count me in for Elkhart Lake. That's on my bucket list this year. I'm just outside Clinton WI so not too far away.
      Cool There are also several members south of the border, too (OP, Jettavr666, Max_Download, and many more) plus lowlight, Patrikstar and tehAndy (I think thats the guy from south WI with the classic Volvo)
      Last edited by 88c900t; 02-26-2017 at 12:44 PM.
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      02-26-2017 12:38 PM #6
      Western Chicago 'burbs (Elgin-area) checking in here. I would up for a Chicagoland TCL meetup.
      =

Vehicles
      02-26-2017 12:45 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      Western Chicago 'burbs (Elgin-area) checking in here. I would up for a Chicagoland TCL meetup.
      I would, it's only 2 hours or so from me

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      02-26-2017 01:11 PM #8
      I only know of one other texer in Rochester/Buffalo area

Hoping to make it to both the cup race and 6hr at the glen this year. Hopefully Porshwagen will be on the road by then.
      Last edited by CaleDeRoo; 02-26-2017 at 01:14 PM.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      '16 3.0L A6,'16 A4, 02 Trailblazer
      02-26-2017 02:29 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      I would, it's only 2 hours or so from me
      I am down!

Anyone from Chicago proper?!
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda5
      02-26-2017 02:45 PM #10
      Chicago North Suburbs, here.
      I wish I had a cool car.
      Out Girl Out first photo responder.

Vehicles
      99 Miata, 15 Focus ST3
      02-26-2017 04:19 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by CaleDeRoo View Post
      I only know of one other texer in Rochester/Buffalo area

Hoping to make it to both the cup race and 6hr at the glen this year. Hopefully Porshwagen will be on the road by then.
      Add one more to your list.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      02-26-2017 04:37 PM #12
      I knew there were TCL folks around here! Let's develop some kind of compendium of good driving areas, either specific routes or simply areas you shoot for on a map, since all our states are pretty lacking. Heck, if we want that (and any other important) information handy, I'm happy to edit my original post for trips, points of interest, etc. I also want this thread to include pics of you parking your Wrangler halfway up a snowbank like an ***hole, or how an area you visited on the weekend roadtrip connected with you.

An anecdote: My friend and I will forever have the saying "You've been Maustified!" We have this because I used to hang at his place all the time to fish or whatever, and one day we got bored. Northern Illinois in the spring is uniquely melancholy, where the hint of summer is in the air but you first slog through weeks of rainy-gray-rainy-gray, and that day was at the height of spring's depths. He had been looking at land in Wisconsin to hunt and fish and wanted to check out a few parcels to the north. There was obviously nothing to do otherwise, so we piled into his Wrangler, stopped at the gas station, and hit the road.

His TJ had over 100k, a softtop that was brittle, and the steering of a drunk epileptic, so those straight roads of God's country were still exciting for both driver and passenger. We crossed the state line and cruised around for hours, looking at alternating patches of prairie and woods. We eventually got slaphappy and stopped to grab a bite who-knows-where. I took over driving after my friend snuck away for a sideways cigarette, and before long we found ourselves in beautiful Mauston, Wisconsin. He was feeling particularly taco'd and we were BSing about the town when we got stuck at an intersection, and an old farmer and wife in their farm pickup pulled up next to us. My friend flopped his gaze over at them, they gave us an epic Old World death stare, and he burst out laughing uncontrollably. They shook their heads with the kind of disgust a parent feels after being told their child is running away to join the circus; I nervously sipped on my coffee. Finally we proceeded onward, and after the kind of silence only a stoned person can muster I had to break the tension - "You've been Maustified!" I screamed.

He lost it again and cackled like a fool the entire shaky, noisy way back home. He never did buy any land.
      Last edited by l88m22vette; 02-26-2017 at 04:40 PM.
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      02-26-2017 05:16 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by DeadEyedButUnbroken View Post
      Add one more to your list.
      Unless you were the one...
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      2013 Evo GSR, 2016 3 Series GT
      02-26-2017 06:30 PM #14
      Great thread OP, thanks for getting it started!

I do love my home state of WI & the Great Lakes! Elkhart Lake sounds awesome. I've enjoyed "Supercar Saturdays" in the Chicago area too - sooooooo many nice cars there. I've seen more exotics there than any official auto show I've ever been to by far...
      Current: 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X (his), 2016 BMW 3 Series GT (hers)
      Past: 2008 Honda Civic Si (sold), 2012 Mustang GT (sold), 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII (sold), 2001 VW Golf 1.8T (sold)

Vehicles
      A fast car, a slower SUV
      02-26-2017 07:28 PM #15
      Also, fwiw I'm an active member of CNG (Chicago Next Gen) a N. IL/S. WI/NW Indiana Camaro club. We do events and meets throughout the spring/summer/fall so if anyone is interested in hanging out with us Bowtie folks feel free.

Really liking the car scene I've experienced so far around here. It's a lot more diverse than what I've seen in Pittsburgh or Minneapolis/St. Paul.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Cruze Diesel, 2010 VW Grand Country
      02-26-2017 08:36 PM #16
      Dixon IL. If one were to draw a cross from Rockford to Bloomington and Chicago to Bettendorf, we'd be just west of the intersection. But everything I want to do is 2 hours from me or less.

Rt 66 speedway for Demo races? 2 hours.

Bloomington to visit my brother who's a car but like me? 2 hours. (Well, Lexington but good luck finding it)

Cordova? 1.5 hours.

Galena? 2 hours of rolling hills. Beautiful.

Chicago? 2 hours to the McCormick place.

And always, Byron Dragway. 35 mins.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      02-26-2017 09:05 PM #17
      well I *used to* live there, too bad! I'd be up for a meetup to show you some hybrid taillights!

(for those not from the great lakes- "Brats" doesn't refer to small children or Subaru trucklets)
      Last edited by MGQ; 02-26-2017 at 09:07 PM.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      240z, 260z, 280zx, R53 Mini, TJ Wrangler, E30
      02-26-2017 09:06 PM #18
      At first I got super happy, cause I saw "great lakes"

"That's ME!" I thought.

Now I'm sad, because I'm still an outlier, as I'm literally on the Eastern Shore of Ontario....hours from anyone..CalDeRoo is closest to me, at around 2 and a half hours.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      02-26-2017 09:08 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by OldAndyAndTheSea View Post
      At first I got super happy, cause I saw "great lakes"

"That's ME!" I thought.

Now I'm sad, because I'm still an outlier, as I'm literally on the Eastern Shore of Ontario....hours from anyone..CalDeRoo is closest to me, at around 2 and a half hours.
      Don't feel bad, I had the exact same reaction only to find out that everyone apparently lives in Illinois.
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      Sportwagen4M 17 - A4 CVT 02 - A4 Q 11 - 323GTX 88
      02-26-2017 09:24 PM #20
      Yea, some of us are Great Lakers, but not in Illinois. I was born and spent half my life in Wisco, know those roads in the Kettles around RA. Lots of stories on those roads, the KMSD is fast fun in the snow.

Wrenching....that was brought up by the OP. Got my historic car running today for the first time since June, and took it for 8 miles of "installation lap" activity. At least I was able to clean the garage and move tools into my new tool box that I got for Christmas. Still lots of tuning and details to go, but it was a productive day.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
      signature series

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      02-26-2017 09:37 PM #21
      NW burbs checking in.

Unlike the rest of you, I loathe this place. Roads suck, both in terms of potholes and lack of twisties, nowhere to go for a challenging hike, outdoor activities suck major ass here, humidity in the summer is unbearable, etc.

I can't wait to move out west.

But I'm always down to meet up with fellow gearheads!
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

Vehicles
      EJ251, EJ255, EZ30D(R)
      02-26-2017 09:43 PM #22
      You had me until flat lands. I like my Great Lakes with Kettle Moraines, Copper Country, Niagra Escarpment, and waterfalls. I'll be up nort if you need me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Igor Natan Segala...that beautiful bastard. I made out with him one time behind a Red Lobster in Mookala, Wisconsin - on a bet. Little did he know that the simple kiss and $7.48 would lead to life-changing consequences. That was before the war, before this all happened. (stares out over the nuclear wasteland)
      Support Your Local Homebrewery

Vehicles
      12 Mazdaspeed 3, 91 MX5
      02-26-2017 10:07 PM #23
      I'm on the north edge of Chicago. Bring back the sun.
      GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.
      Creep my new instagram - Chrispluscars

24. 02-26-2017 10:13 PM #24
      Living in the Kettle Moraine region of SE Wisconsin, I am fortunate to be surrounded by a few good roads. However, the real hidden gem of hilly, curvy, and lightly populated roads of the Midwest is the area known as the Driftless Region.

http://driftlesswisconsin.com/getting-here/

This area is primarily bounded by the Mississippi River on the West, I-90 on the North and East, and Hwy 18 on the South. First, take a look at the Google Earth view. Then, take a street view from just about any rural road, and you will see what I mean.

A few years ago, I spent 3 days out in this area exploring the entire region in the perfect car for these roads - my MR2 Spyder. A roadster makes the best tool for this job, as you are fully immersed in the views, sounds and smells of the open air. Also, you tend to cruise at a more relaxed pace, as the scenery is beautiful, and there is occasionally wildlife or an Amish buggy around the next curve, or over the next hill. Plus, there are many interesting places to stop along the way. During my adventure, I traveled as far north as Red Wing, Minnesota, west into Iowa about 20 miles, and south to Galena, Illinois. Besides being surrounded by endless hills and curves, most of this area is sparsely populated, thus there is very little traffic - perhaps my favorite feature!

I highly recommend this area for anyone who enjoys great back road adventures!

Last edited by daSchtick; 02-26-2017 at 10:22 PM.
      2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder, Absolutely Red/Black, 5spd
      2005 Acura TSX, Carbon Grey Pearl/Quartz, Sportshift
      2013 Ford Focus ST, Oxford White/Charcoal Black, ST3
      2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat/Light Dune, Reserve +Technology

Vehicles
      1965 Volvo 122S, 1994 Buick Roadmaster
      02-26-2017 10:17 PM #25
      I replaced the Volvo's window winder cable and put the door back together the last warm weekend we had.

Waiting for the next 50+ degree one so I can get the car's carbs and charging system pulled.

I need a heated garage.

From the farthest-flung reaches of the Milwaukee Metro.
      Last edited by tehAndy; 02-27-2017 at 12:21 AM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast