VWVortex.com - Production 2017 Honda Civic Type R finally unveiled - 306 hp and 295 lb-ft, on-sale in the spring
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Production 2017 Honda Civic Type R finally unveiled - 306 hp and 295 lb-ft, on-sale in the spring

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      06-19-2017 07:34 AM #376
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      OK, sometimes I see some sort of empty form attached next to the window sticker with the new numbers written in hand. And other times like the above under dealer-added information. So the dealer sends the info to the factory when the window sticker is printed?
      That's clearly just some old ass dot matrix printer in the "accounting office" at work.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      06-19-2017 09:18 AM #377
      ITT the badge on the trunk makes people forget how early-adopters work.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

06-19-2017 09:30 AM #378
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      ITT the badge on the trunk makes people forget how early-adopters work.
      Yeah does no one else remember the $150k Ford Mustangs?

Or the fact that dealers are STILL asking over $150k for GT350's? A quick Autotrader search for new GT350's sorted by price shows every single one on the first page of results around $100k or more, and that's for a car that came out a good long while ago.

Limited edition performance cars are simply carrying a huge price premium nowadays, and it's true for pretty much all of them when they're brand new. As said above, this is how it works for early adopters.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 09:32 AM #379
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Yeah does no one else remember the $150k Ford Mustangs?

[img]https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/wBa_AyinFrKzrRrchTVv2Q--/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjtzbT0xO3c9OTg4O2g9NzU1O2lsPX BsYW5l/http://40.media.tumblr.com/43fab8edc1e4d95384f410086cdbc3ba/tumblr_inline_o1kh3rveSM1tcrsqk_280.jpg[/ig]

Or the fact that dealers are STILL asking over $150k for GT350's? A quick Autotrader search for new GT350's sorted by price shows every single one on the first page of results around $100k or more, and that's for a car that came out a good long while ago.

Limited edition performance cars are simply carrying a huge price premium nowadays, and it's true for pretty much all of them when they're brand new. As said above, this is how it works for early adopters.
      Brand new @ $65k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Ford-Mu...5ZOxup&vxp=mtr

Slightly used @ $55k

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Ford-Mu...pZQtPn&vxp=mtr

Only morons would pay more.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-19-2017 10:12 AM #380
      via Automotive News
      MONTREAL — The forbidden fruit has arrived. And it’s going to come in more than one flavor.

The Honda Civic Type R finally went on sale in the U.S. last week after being confined to Japan and Europe for two decades and four generations. Eagle-eyed fans of its stat sheet will notice that the engine output, transmission and front-wheel-drive setup on the redesigned 2017 model largely are carried over from the previous version.

But more variety is in the works. Honda is planning additional versions of the Type R in an effort to broaden its consumer appeal and keep sales fresh, a challenge many sports cars and niche enthusiast vehicles face after initial demand wears off. In doing so, Honda is following the playbook of brands such as Porsche and Chevy’s performance arm that have become masters at using countless iterations and special editions of a single model to juice sales.

“We’re hoping that by gradually putting out more [variants] that we’ll be able to maintain a more stable sales volume,” Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic model range, told Automotive News through an interpreter at a media event here this month.

Atop Honda’s list is a more hard-core version of the Type R with more horsepower. Honda also is considering a toned-down version “focused more on the grand touring aspect” that would broaden the car’s target market, Matsumoto said.

An all-wheel-drive version also could happen; many of the Type R’s direct competitors come standard with awd -- Volkswagen’s Golf R, Subaru’s WRX and WRX STI and Ford’s Focus RS.

But because this was the first Type R sold in the U.S., Honda wanted to introduce it in the same form that has earned it a considerable following abroad, Matsumoto said. So the original recipe stuck: fwd, lighter weight, a six-speed manual transmission and an approachable asking price ($34,775, including shipping, for the single trim level).

The car has a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine that’s largely the same as in the previous Type R; it makes 306 hp and 295 pounds-feet of torque. An adaptive suspension, limited-slip differential, Brembo front brakes and automatic rev-matching on downshifts round out the car’s performance goodies.
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      06-19-2017 11:04 AM #381
      https://www.facebook.com/gtipower/vi...5099398238672/

CTR vs Golf R (5 Door DSG).

From Top Gear Magazine UK.
      Last edited by Aonarch; 06-19-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-19-2017 11:16 AM #382
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Sort of cheating on that race. They should have run the Golf R with the manual transmission just to keep things a bit more even. I look forward to seeing some comparative lap times though, as that gives more of an overall assessment of performance. I would expect things to be a bit more even on a track when both are equipped with a manual.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 11:28 AM #383
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Let's see the lap times.

And those comments make me remember why I have not signed back up for facebook in the last 13 years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

06-19-2017 03:59 PM #384
      Quote Originally Posted by TooFitToQuit View Post
      Use your time machine to show me how on the day that the GT350 came out, you could easily find them for sale at sticker price. You can't, because they weren't easily available until something like 6+ months after release. The whole point is that the Civic Type-R literally just went on sale so it's in a similar boat of supply & demand. I'm sure there's a few CTRs that are going through at list, probably to preferred buyers or friends of select dealerships. The rest will be able to get the first in line premium same as happens with any limited edition car right when it comes out.

Vehicles
      Never enough boost.
      06-19-2017 04:25 PM #385
      LOL @ comparing a Civic to a GT350. I guess dealers will mark up and treat Civic/Golf/Focus/Impreza like exotics since the fan base will grossly overpay for them. I love these cars but the hype is comical.
      The World is Flat.

Vehicles
      KTM, Honda
      06-19-2017 04:27 PM #386
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      I love these cars but the hype is comical.
      Some people love them more. Stupid people have access to loans these days.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 04:33 PM #387
      I love these cars but the hype is comical.
      Is it truly? Care to expound how the first Honda Type R release in the US since the one and only ITR doesn't deserve serious hype? A car that's broken a Nurburgring lap record? Not that I care about lap times, but that's relatively huge news which supports hype.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 05:26 PM #388
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Use your time machine to show me how on the day that the GT350 came out, you could easily find them for sale at sticker price. You can't, because they weren't easily available until something like 6+ months after release. The whole point is that the Civic Type-R literally just went on sale so it's in a similar boat of supply & demand. I'm sure there's a few CTRs that are going through at list, probably to preferred buyers or friends of select dealerships. The rest will be able to get the first in line premium same as happens with any limited edition car right when it comes out.
      Read the post I replied to, snowflake:

"Or the fact that dealers are STILL asking over $150k for GT350's? A quick Autotrader search for new GT350's sorted by price shows every single one on the first page of results around $100k or more, and that's for a car that came out a good long while ago."

Vehicles
      Never enough boost.
      06-19-2017 05:34 PM #389
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      Is it truly? Care to expound how the first Honda Type R release in the US since the one and only ITR doesn't deserve serious hype? A car that's broken a Nurburgring lap record? Not that I care about lap times, but that's relatively huge news which supports hype.
      Nurburdgring lap ? Yes, sure but in reality this car would probably have a hard time keeping up with the V6 LE1 Camaro @ the VIR. Like I said, I love the car and the pricing by Honda is aggressive because competition is actually pretty stiff. I guess people are willing to pay the insane mark ups for the name more than anything else.
      The World is Flat.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 05:34 PM #390
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      . I look forward to seeing some comparative lap times though, as that gives more of an overall assessment of performance. I would expect things to be a bit more even on a track when both are equipped with a manual.
      "A bit more even", lulz. Golf will get crushed on a track, transmission choice doesn't matter.

LOL @ comparing a Civic to a GT350. I guess dealers will mark up and treat Civic/Golf/Focus/Impreza like exotics since the fan base will grossly overpay for them. I love these cars but the hype is comical.
      These are all limited-production hardcore performance cars man. Some drive with front wheels, some with rear, and some with all. Your total myopia is preventing you from seeing the big picture and making sense of it.

Vehicles
      06-19-2017 05:36 PM #391
      Nurburdgring lap ? Yes, sure but in reality this car would probably have a hard time keeping up with the V6 LE1 Camaro @ the VIR.
      Haha, this is even dumber than the rest. I'm going to enjoy watching you defend this idiotic prediction when the CTR crushes everything outside the top class at Lightning Lap.

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 05:37 PM #392
      Nurburdgring lap ? Yes, sure but in reality this car would probably have a hard time keeping up with the V6 LE1 Camaro @ the VIR. Like I said, I love the car and the pricing by Honda is aggressive because competition is actually pretty stiff. I guess people are willing to pay the insane mark ups for the name more than anything else.
      Most definitely. I would never pay a mark up, but Honda entering this segment has made me want to enter the segment and buy this Honda.

(I won't.)

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      06-19-2017 05:43 PM #393
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Haha, this is even dumber than the rest. I'm going to enjoy watching you defend this idiotic prediction when the CTR crushes everything outside the top class at Lightning Lap.
      No Civic Type R at Lightning Lap this year
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC R line, 61 Merc. 220b
      06-19-2017 05:46 PM #394
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      Let's see the lap times.

And those comments make me remember why I have not signed back up for facebook in the last 13 years.
      you laugh like we dont get comments like that on here

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 05:48 PM #395
      Quote Originally Posted by Lucian1988 View Post
      you laugh like we dont get comments like that on here
      We get some of those comments but not all of the crazy ones.
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 05:49 PM #396
      Let's see the lap times.

Damn bro how many times today did you mention how many years it's been since you used Facebook? Two different threads by my count.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 05:53 PM #397
      Damn bro how many times today did you mention how many years it's been since you used Facebook? Two different threads by my count.
      Hold on, let me find some more threads where I can bring it up. BRB

Vehicles
      UberBlack
      06-19-2017 06:03 PM #398
      Hold on, let me find some more threads where I can bring it up. BRB
      You must be vegan too.

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      06-19-2017 06:05 PM #399
      Bluth is xtra saucy today, love u man.
      Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      06-19-2017 06:07 PM #400
      You must be vegan too.
      Nope. I would have told you already if I was.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast