VWVortex.com - Production 2017 Honda Civic Type R finally unveiled - 306 hp and 295 lb-ft, on-sale in the spring
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Production 2017 Honda Civic Type R finally unveiled - 306 hp and 295 lb-ft, on-sale in the spring

1. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      03-07-2017 03:10 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      How many idiots will drive a Type R on city streets at the kind of speeds necessary where said aero makes any difference?

Actually, never mind... don't answer that.
      Every time I see an EVO in the ditch it is missing the vortex generators. Coincidence?

Vehicles
      '17 Jetta SE, '11 Si
      03-07-2017 03:11 PM #77
      How many idiots will drive a Type R on city streets at the kind of speeds necessary where said aero makes any difference?

Cool, and how many idiots will drive a GT3, GT350, STI, etc etc? Track day specials have wings.

The wing is not even the problem with the new CTR's styling. All Type R's have had wings, usually quite large. It's the (IMO horrible) underlying Civic Hatch front/rear bumper that's messing things up. Most of the rest is standard stuff (splitter, diffuser, wing).
      Last edited by cournot; 03-07-2017 at 03:15 PM.

Vehicles
      Silver Volvos
      03-07-2017 03:13 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by George Bluth View Post
      Is this not a road/track day vehicle? Does any idiot actually get up to enough speed on a public road to use the aero?
      Of course it is, but for every person that takes a Type R to the track there are a dozen more who only use it for normal/spirited driving. You don't need a heinous wing and garish "aero" pieces for that.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-07-2017 03:17 PM #79
      Of course it is, but for every person that takes a Type R to the track there are a dozen more who only use it for normal/spirited driving. You don't need a heinous wing and garish "aero" pieces for that.
      And the new Huracan Performante doesn't need the insane active aero system for when it's cruising around Knightsbridge... It's a silly argument.

Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      03-07-2017 03:19 PM #80
      Then buy the regular Si and quit whining.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

Vehicles
      Silver Volvos
      03-07-2017 03:19 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post
      Cool, and how many idiots will drive a GT3, GT350, STI, etc etc? Track day specials have wings.

The wing is not even the problem with the new CTR's styling. All Type R's have had wings, usually quite large. It's the (IMO horrible) underlying Civic Hatch front/rear bumper that's messing things up. Most of the rest is standard stuff (splitter, diffuser, wing).
      I'm not singling out the wing. Ross was the one suggesting that people who remove the wing are idiots, not me. If you're the kind of person who actually takes a Type R to the track and drives it hard... by all means, keep it. I agreed that the CTR's styling problems go far beyond just the wing, though.

I wouldn't say all Type Rs came with obnoxious spoilers, though:

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-07-2017 03:20 PM #82
      Well, I guess if Ford, Chev, and Chrysler can crib styling cues from their cars of the 60s, Honda can do it from aftermarket versions of their cars from the early 00s.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      '17 Jetta SE, '11 Si
      03-07-2017 03:26 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      This.

The Type R was always track>everything else. The original NSX-R and ITR were only road legal because people wanted to drive to the track and drive back, otherwise they were not meant to be street cars (think 5000 RPM at 80mph in the 96 spec JDM ITR).

This new Type R is clearly widening the scope of what an -R car is, and that's a separate discussion from what people are complaining about here, which is mostly styling. I have an entirely separate bone to pick, which is that the range of capabilities of a Type R is too large now. Entirely a pedantic exercise, but it's what most people are complaining about on venues like Honda Tech and ToV.

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda 3 GT 6-speed
      03-07-2017 03:29 PM #84
      THIS

10. 03-07-2017 03:30 PM #85
      Looks a detailers nightmare.

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. The wife: 2016 Honda CR-V Special Edition
      03-07-2017 03:31 PM #86
      But...but...but...they won't buy that either.

I have no problem with the Type R. I'd hit it if I had the money.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Vehicles
      Silver Volvos
      03-07-2017 03:34 PM #87
      Who is whining? Ross was the one getting bent out of shape about removing the wing. I just suggested "who cares?" when most people aren't going to drive this thing hard enough to need it anyway.

13. 03-07-2017 03:36 PM #88
      LMFAO. Dude that's one ugly car.

14. 03-07-2017 03:38 PM #89
      Manufacturers should offer their 'hot' models in two trims: discreet and boy-racer/ricer.

Although I'm not a big fan of the Golf R, I can appreciate its speed and the utter competence with which is performs almost all tasks in all conditions, it's a complete package in many respects. The biggest thing it has going for it is its subdued appearance. While I find the chassis and mechanicals of both the Honda and Ford offerings to be far more interesting than the VW, I just could never live with their looks. If only I was 18 and had money!

Vehicles
      13 Elantra
      03-07-2017 03:41 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      Manufacturers should offer their 'hot' models in two trims: discreet and boy-racer/ricer.
      That's what the mid level model is for. Cars like the WRX & Si exist for shoppers who just want a spirited daily driver.
      Sent from my tablet while sipping weak drinks over fancy brunch with a view

16. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      03-07-2017 03:48 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein View Post

'89 VW Jetta GLI | '02 VW GTI 1.8T | '05 Porsche Boxster | '05 Ducati Sport1000 | '06 VW GTI | '07 Porsche Cayman | '08 Ducati 848 | '14 Porsche 911 | '17 VW Golf R

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '17 NPS50
      03-07-2017 04:04 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by GaTeIg View Post
      You all need to get over yourselves a bit. None of you would/will have purchased the car. All you of you are aware the R models have always been riced out. Glad Honda is introducing the car to the US market finally.

this thing is ****in hideous

Vehicles
      2010 Mazda 3 GT 6-speed
      03-07-2017 04:07 PM #93
      So don't buy it then

It's not like you would have been able to buy a Type R in the states previously any way. Just get an Si and stop complaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      03-07-2017 04:26 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by chopWet View Post
      If only I was 18 and had money!
      That's the target market. This is targeted at that age range, and there are plenty of kids out there whose parents have the cash to buy one for them.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      Civics
      03-07-2017 04:40 PM #95
      I'm in if they offer an aero package delete.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevy Volt LT
      03-07-2017 04:47 PM #96

Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 03-07-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Vehicles
      '12 FJ Cruiser 6MT, '15 Triumph ST3
      03-07-2017 04:53 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Appliance View Post
      I'm in if they offer an aero package delete.
      They do. It's the Si.

03-07-2017 05:02 PM #98

Same for a Porsche 911 GT3 RS, or Viper ACR, or anything else that is designed for laptimes. I think this latest Civic Type-R is probably the least attractive in recent memory, but as others have said, they plan to turn in the record quickest laptime at Nurburgring. It won't be the prettiest while doing so, but I guess there's a certain element of "ugly but it works" going on in that case.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-07-2017 05:07 PM #99

Oh here we go with the holier-than-thou safety police thing. Used only when someone doesn't like a particular car.

It's not just about being a hoon on city streets, it's about high-speed stability. The underbody aero is going to stick this thing to the ground at high speeds, and this is a car you want to be stable at high speeds. Many ITRs were wrecked from lift-throttle oversteer and this will be no different.

I live on an awesome road and on clear days it is absolutely possible to hit 90+ before a braking zone. The "R" stands for "Race"--should it not have racetrack-ready capabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by cournot View Post

Agreed. That front end is chunky and ungainly.

With this logic, you better hate the GT350, Z28, Z06, and every other car with performance aero on the street. Your use of quotation marks suggests that you're not even sure the aero pieces work. Even on the DC2R the front lip and rear wing were functional.

And the new Huracan Performante doesn't need the insane active aero system for when it's cruising around Knightsbridge... It's a silly argument.

Everyone always praises function over form until the form is something that they don't like
      This! Well said.

Yup. The Si will have a cute, small, non-functional spoiler.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

25. 03-07-2017 05:18 PM #100

The exhaust pipes look like three different sizes.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast