Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Current Tiguan To Be Offered for A While

1. Member
      Vehicles
      07 V6 Passat Wagon--12 Golf 2.5 4DR
      03-07-2017 10:28 AM #1
      According to Autoblog the current Tiguan is going to be around a while and offered along with the new LWB Tig.

"For fans of the old Tiguan, it will stick around and slot below the new Tiguan, which is larger and slightly more expensive than the previous model."

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/07/2...und-ab-tile-12

2. 03-08-2017 01:09 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
      According to Autoblog the current Tiguan is going to be around a while and offered along with the new LWB Tig.

"For fans of the old Tiguan, it will stick around and slot below the new Tiguan, which is larger and slightly more expensive than the previous model."

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/07/2...und-ab-tile-12
      I think this is smart -- Tiggy, bigger Tiguan, Atlas. Of course, if gas prices ever spike in the US again to $4 or more, ...
      Now: '03 New Beetle Turbo S ... '14 Tiguan R-Line 4motion ... '74 Thing Acapulco ... '13 Tiguan S ... '02 Golf GLS TDI
      Past: '09 Eos Komfort ... '97 Jetta GT ... '02 Passat ... '02 Cabrio GLX ... '71 Super Beetle ... '93 EuroVan MV Westy ... '86 Jetta GLI ... '81 Pickup LX ... '85 Vanagon
      Future: hmmm

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 CC DSG, 2001 Corvette 6MT Z51, 2010 Audi S4 6MT
      03-09-2017 04:26 PM #3
      I doubt the VW factory is going to continue producing the original Tiguans, an old platform, when all there other products have/are migrating to the MBQ platform. What I do think is that the factory built a large inventory of the 2017 Tiquans, and that will keep the supply chain filled, with overlap with the new Tiguan, for a while. I bet the factory stopped the original Tiguan production weeks ago.

4. Member
      03-09-2017 09:51 PM #4
      VW shifted production of the 1st-gen Tiguan to their Osnabrück plant (from Wolfsburg) last year specifically so they could continue to build it for North America. Not only are they still building them, but it sounds like that's going to go on for longer than expected.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...eration-model/

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Passat SE w Tech; 2014 Tiguan SEL 4Motion, 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
      03-09-2017 10:19 PM #5
      This is interesting news. The current Tiguan is having a great sales year at the end of its lifecycle as VW seems to have finally gotten the pricing right. My local dealer is selling the Wolfsburg model for $27.5K. It's a very good value at that price. It would make sense to keep the old model around to offer something in the $25-30K price range if the new Tiguan comes in at $30-35K.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      03-09-2017 10:32 PM #6
      A lot of people have been saying that the lwb Tiguan is too big. They wanted the new swb but I think VW might have been caught off guard by that so keeping the current one in production would give those folks an option, albeit an outdated option, until they release the new subcompact T-Roc or give us the SWB Tiguan.

Probably would be limited to 1 or 2 trims and be a cheaper version. The new Tig is supposed to be competitive with the current competition so I guesstimate that starting at 24k. So the current version should drop a few thousand. That is, if VW is matching the competition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      ||||||||||||||
      CURRENT: 2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      PREVIOUS: 2012 VW Passat SEL Premium, 2009 VW Tiguan SE; 2006 VW Passat 2.0T

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      03-10-2017 04:39 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      A lot of people have been saying that the lwb Tiguan is too big. They wanted the new swb but I think VW might have been caught off guard by that so keeping the current one in production would give those folks an option, albeit an outdated option, until they release the new subcompact T-Roc or give us the SWB Tiguan......
      Interestingly, Volkswagen just sent me a customer satisfaction survey a couple of weeks ago. There were several questions that specifically dealt with the size of the existing Tiguan. I wonder if a lot of people responded by saying the current model is just about the right size.

More on the continuation of the current model:
      http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...uans#src=10065
      Last edited by Alpinweiss2; 03-10-2017 at 04:42 PM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03-10-2017 09:29 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by bmorton View Post
      VW shifted production of the 1st-gen Tiguan to their Osnabrück plant (from Wolfsburg) last year specifically so they could continue to build it for North America. Not only are they still building them, but it sounds like that's going to go on for longer than expected.....[/url]
      For me, it is a bonus that my 2017 Tiguan was built in Osnabrück. This was originally the Karmann factory, and over the years, built cars for VW such as Karmann Ghia, Scirocco, Cabriolet, etc. Most VW factories are highly automated. But Karmann was mostly a coach builder, and relied a lot on highly skilled craftsmen.

It is my understanding that sales of the older style Tiguan have exceeded expectations in North America this year, and they had to ramp up production at Osnabrück. This factory was previously considered under-utilized, so I think they can continue Tiguan production indefinitely there (or until the demand drops off).
      Alpinweiß 2
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R MT DCC
      03-13-2017 09:10 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by CC'ed View Post
      I doubt the VW factory is going to continue producing the original Tiguans, an old platform, when all there other products have/are migrating to the MBQ platform. What I do think is that the factory built a large inventory of the 2017 Tiquans, and that will keep the supply chain filled, with overlap with the new Tiguan, for a while. I bet the factory stopped the original Tiguan production weeks ago.
      I agree. All of the 2017 Tiguan models around here are listed at 7-8k below MSRP, which seems a lot like trying to get rid of current inventory. I'm sure lots of people would rather have the shorter wheel base, me included, but i don't really want a mid-small SUV that gets 20mpg and burns premium fuel. No way the older model is going to be around once the 2018 is out.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2017 09:02 AM #10

11. 03-17-2017 06:13 AM #11
      While I think this is great news as current Tiguan fits a great sweetspot for city SUV/Crossover, for people who don't have kids, or just have one and don't need a large vehicle. However, it's gonna cause a heck of a lot of confusion! They should possible rename the new one something else to make it unique. It's quite confusing to me, so how many SUVs are they gonna have? Tiguan OLD, Tiguan NEW, Atlans, Touareg, Touran? Too crowded! How are they gonna differentiate them enough? It kinds is stupid that NEW Tiguan has become so large to offer 3rd row seating, while more expensive Touareg does not?!
      Last edited by alexb75; 03-17-2017 at 06:16 AM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2017 10:05 AM #12
      VW is anxious to play in the SUV/CUV markets they have been largely shut out of due to lack of competitive products. I think it makes pretty good sense to keep the current Tiguan around. It gives VW something to offer in each segment:

Tiguan Sport - small, sporty, CUV segment

Tiguan (new model) - mid-sized SUV segment

Atlas - full-sized segment

Touareg - luxury segment

Prices would also be progressively higher with each model. The only one I really question is the Touareg. It competes with the Audi Q5 which is a much more desirable vehicle in the $50K price range. I've always liked the Touareg but just cannot fork over that kind of money for a VW badge when the alternatives are Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc.. As a current Tiguan owner, I like the fact the model will continue on.

13. 03-20-2017 04:58 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by KurtK View Post
      VW is anxious to play in the SUV/CUV markets they have been largely shut out of due to lack of competitive products. I think it makes pretty good sense to keep the current Tiguan around. It gives VW something to offer in each segment:

Atlas - full-sized segment

Touareg - luxury segment

Prices would also be progressively higher with each model. The only one I really question is the Touareg. It competes with the Audi Q5 which is a much more desirable vehicle in the $50K price range. I've always liked the Touareg but just cannot fork over that kind of money for a VW badge when the alternatives are Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc.. As a current Tiguan owner, I like the fact the model will continue on.
      Then they need to re-brand, it doesn't make sense to have TWO Tiguans on the market at the same time. To me, the whole idea of enlarging Tiguan so much was a bad idea. Tiguan needed maybe 3-4 inches more cargo room, and that's it. It did NOT need 3rd row seating, that's idiotic!

I think it should have been similar to Audi of Q3/Q5/Q7... small to large, largest has the 3rd row seating. Even if they kept the largest, Atlas, as mid-range for larger families, Tiguan should NOT have grown as much. I just bought a Tiguan and comparables were Forester, CX-5, Rav4, and CR-V, NONE has a 3rd row seat or needs one.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      03-20-2017 05:46 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by alexb75 View Post
      Then they need to re-brand, it doesn't make sense to have TWO Tiguans on the market at the same time. To me, the whole idea of enlarging Tiguan so much was a bad idea. Tiguan needed maybe 3-4 inches more cargo room, and that's it. It did NOT need 3rd row seating, that's idiotic!

I think it should have been similar to Audi of Q3/Q5/Q7... small to large, largest has the 3rd row seating. Even if they kept the largest, Atlas, as mid-range for larger families, Tiguan should NOT have grown as much. I just bought a Tiguan and comparables were Forester, CX-5, Rav4, and CR-V, NONE has a 3rd row seat or needs one.
      Needed size of a vehicle is unique to the owner, that's why so many automakers are coming out with so many different size categories for these things. Keeping the current gen side-by-side with the new one is an interesting experiment. I mentioned this in another thread, but Nissan did it with the Rogue (which also has a 3rd row option, and sells at the top of the class) by keeping the old one as the Rogue Select for the first year or two. We all know VW expects to sell way more new Tig than old Tig , but if the old one keeps up it's current sales trend, it may push VW to find an effective way of giving us the SWB of the new gen.

The problem was VW put themselves in a bind with the Tiguan size wise when they first released it. And market research has told them that it was too small and overpriced for the market. If they just gave us the SWB, they don't have a size-advantaged in the class. Because of what people have been saying about VW's being too small and european, they have this mindset that everything for North American needs to be BIG. We love our big American Lincoln's and Cadillac's. Yeah, it's a stereotype but that's the reason people gave for not buying a VW. So the Jetta got bigger. Then the Passat. The Atlas is huge too. So VW can say, the American Tiguan has the most cargo and passenager space in the class.

But from a personal perspective, as a former owner of a Tiguan, I'm in the category of the people who thought it was too small. And if given the choice between the SWB and LWB, I'd pick the LWB 100% of the time. And that is with or without the 3-row. I'd probably never use it, but because it folds flat it's not even an issue. But I do think that as time goes on, they will flesh out their crossover lineup a bit more. It was reported that VWoA greenlit bringing over the T-Cross which should be the subcompact entry. And if the market tells them that they went too big, they is always the SWB winking from across the pond.
      ||||||||||||||

15. 03-20-2017 11:19 PM #15
      I disagree. If one needs a bigger car, they should buy a bigger car. There is demand across all sizes, if they offer LWB only and lose current Tiguan, they have zero competition with CUVs in the market. Mercedes is killing it with their GLA, Q3 and Macan are selling like hot cakes so CUV smaller size has a huge market as do mid and large size SUVs. The same goes for Mazda offerings. They have CX-3, 5 and CX-9. These things are established now. Tiguan would be in a weird segment of only offered in LWB.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      03-22-2017 05:58 AM #16
      The LWB Tiguan still competes with the CX-5. Growing bigger didn't change its market or size category, it's still a compact crossover. After the Atlas launches, VW would only be missing at CX-3 competitor and that's coming in 2019 as the T-Roc.

According to https://www.elementfleet.com/resourc...lValue=#filter looks like they may have went with the name Tiguan Limited for the current generation in 2018.

||||||||||||||

Vehicles
      '07 GTI--->'18Tiguan; '02 GTI (past); '88 Vanagon, '92 Passat, '85 Quantum, '81 Rabbit (past/family)
      04-11-2017 05:17 PM #17

Old/current Tiguan = Tiguan Limited?

https://www.elementfleet.com/resourc...nge=all#filter

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 VW Tiguan RLINE 4Motion
      04-20-2017 05:31 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by rev18gti View Post
      Old/current Tiguan = Tiguan Limited?

https://www.elementfleet.com/resourc...nge=all#filter
      You would be right...
      http://blog.caranddriver.com/aging-v...iguan-limited/

19. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 10:11 PM #19
      I'm guessing they will continue selling the "old" Tiguan until the T-Roc arrives. Here are some undisguised shots of what that looks like. I like it!

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-sho...s-and-details/

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 12:30 AM #20
      I'm guessing they will continue selling the "old" Tiguan until the T-Roc arrives. Here are some undisguised shots of what that looks like. I like it!
      Although if the information is accurate, the T-Roc will be smaller than the current Tiguan.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-22-2017 08:20 AM #21
      They haven't announced it but if I were a betting man, I'd bet they're researching how do the SWB here.

Consider that crossovers are the fastest growing market and more and more companies are coming out with new segments to squeeze another size in, VW made the decision to keep production going of the outgoing Tiguan. I believe they initially did their market research and believed that Americans only wanted a bigger vehicle. They didn't take into account that many would start asking for the SWB over the LWB. So without plans to bring the SWB, they decided to keep selling the outgoing model while they figure how they can build it and how to package it.

If I were someone making this decision, I'd cut the Beetle production from the Mexico plant because its a niche market and slow selling, and replace its line with the SWB Tiguan. Which will out sell the Beetle and give more attention to where the customers money is. I'd probably still produce more LWB than SWB but as the model years go on, adjust based on demand. Thinking of it some more, if they do bring both lengths, better to just make the 3rd row standard on the LWB and let the SWB be the sole compact 2-row.

My $0.02.

||||||||||||||

22. Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 12:42 PM #22
      "better to just make the 3rd row standard on the LWB"

No way!! The third row is useless in the LWB Tig except for small kids. The LWB Tig has just the right amount of cargo space for many people -- most of who don't need the third row of seats. Other mid sized CUV that offer the third row haven't had much interest it buy consumers interested in that size.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-22-2017 01:03 PM #23
      Well keep in mind that being only for kids is actually the point lol. Also it folds flat into the floor so you don't lose the cargo space when it's not needed

||||||||||||||

24. Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 03:23 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by capclassicv2 View Post
      Well keep in mind that being only for kids is actually the point lol. Also it folds flat into the floor so you don't lose the cargo space when it's not needed
      Agree with you that being only for kids is the point, but I don't feel it should be standard--many don't want it or need it--even though it folds flat the seat belts straps are still there.

Vehicles
      2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT
      04-22-2017 03:51 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by pwaug View Post
      Agree with you that being only for kids is the point, but I don't feel it should be standard--many don't want it or need it--even though it folds flat the seat belts straps are still there.
      I meant if they were to offer the SWB next to it the LWB. At the current situation with just one version it makes sense to over it as an option.

And I think the seat belts are in the seats. So they're not in the way when fold.

||||||||||||||

For advertising information click HERE