VWVortex.com - Do relatively stock, running, VR6 Corrados still exist in the wild?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do relatively stock, running, VR6 Corrados still exist in the wild?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1997 Jetta GLX VR6. Had a 1985 GTI, but sold it after 12 yrs and 130k miles.
      03-12-2017 07:46 PM #1
      I've been looking locally (Western Oregon, Washington, Northern California) for a VR6 Corrado for about the last 18 months. I didn't think I had really high standards, but I've seen half a dozen cars that have been beaten to hell and back, and they're advertised as being in great shape. Stuff I've seen:
      - cars with swapped engines with wires hanging loose, or held together with electrical tape
      - leaking head gaskets, black oil, or just empty coolant overflow tanks
      - cars with 250k miles with original chains where I'm told "oh, I'm sure the chains are fine"
      - rubbing tires on GM wheels with lowered coil-overs
      - gaping holes in dash where radio/climate controls/vents used to be
      - cars with leaks that allow mold and moss to grow inside the car
      - poor AC deletes, or my fave -- the heater "delete" in which someone uses pipe at the firewall to return coolant to the engine without passing it to the heater core in the passenger cabin
      - cars that cannot start, or that won't idle, or only run if the AC is on
      - multiple broken systems; pick 3 of: windows, side mirror adjustment, MFA, lights, fan/heat/AC.
      - shredded interiors: ripped seats or just missing seats, sagging headliner, rotting carpet

Maybe my standards are too high. It's hard to commiserate with with these sellers who are asking $4k+ for a dirty, often non-running car when I'm driving up in my 97 VR6 Jetta that doesn't leak, all the stuff works, and doesn't smell rotten inside.

Seriously, if you know of a clean, working, relatively stock, manual transmission VR6 Corrado, PM me. I'll fly to buy the right car, because I'll be able to drive the right car back to where I live. And if I'm smoking crack because such a car no longer exists, please let me know and I'll stop looking.

2. Member
      03-12-2017 08:07 PM #2
      I found the same thing a decade and a half ago, sounds like things have not gotten better. I looked at a lot and only drove one which I still own today.
      - 2000 Audi A4
      - 1994 Corrado VR6
      - 1991 Jetta Syncro Coupe

Vehicles
      97 2.0 GTI, 90/Corrado G60 w/VR6 sold- current R32 08' #1112/Corrado 93 2.9L
      03-12-2017 08:28 PM #3
      Sounds like your wanting a 20+ year old non-issue turn key ready Corrado, right? Around $4k?

Either pony up $15k+ or grab wrench and do work. Either way you are going to pay. Welcome to corrados.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      03-12-2017 08:40 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by edocdog View Post
      Sounds like your wanting a 20+ year old non-issue turn key ready Corrado, right? Around $4k?

Either pony up $15k+ or grab wrench and do work. Either way you are going to pay. Welcome to corrados.
      I like turning wrenches. I just don't like paying $5k for a car that will need a clutch, chains, head gasket, carpets, headliner, seats, heater core, wheels, tires, and struts. Like I said, maybe my expectations are just not aligned to today's market.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      03-12-2017 09:55 PM #5
      And I'm just being petulant. Sorry all.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      03-13-2017 12:16 AM #6
      Maybe I got the last one?

I spent two years looking for the deal that landed me in my 5-speed '92 Corrado SLC in September 2014, and I consider myself to be pretty lucky that I found it. I paid under that $4k number you mentioned, and she's by no means perfect, but a pretty good example for the price I paid. On the day the keys were handed over:
      • the car hit 100k miles on the drive from the pre-purchase inspection at the dealer back to the seller's house
      • had the heater core replaced several years prior
      • two new front tires (replaced with matching all-seasons shortly thereafter and sold the new two)
      • A/C didn't work, and neither did the sunroof, but that was okay. Two years later I still haven't fixed them.
      • Spoiler went up and down as promised
      • Chains not done, still not done
      • A bit of rust on the passenger rear wheelwell and below the rear windshield wiper.
      • Bone stock, save for an intake, front strut bar, and rear fogs
      • Great condition cloth interior
      • Decent history on the car. I am fourth owner; second owner used it only as a show car, and it was Corrado Club of America's October 1997 Corrado of the Month. Third owner used it as a third car, and put only ~40k on it in roughly 15 years.
      • we drove nearly 200 miles to go pick it up, and 200 miles back home in the Corrado with no issue.

That's not to mention the small plethora of problems that have come, gone, and still remain over the course of my ownership. All in all, I'd say that they're out there, you just have to look hard and look often. Getting into a Corrado with little to no problems for under $4k isn't impossible, but it's pretty close. Keep the faith, and good luck! (You'll need it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      To be fair it's kind of Toyota's fault for pandering to people who don't give a **** about cars.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 911 Turbo Cabrio - 2006 BMW m5 - 2010 Land Rover LR4 - 1992 Corrado VR6 SLC
      03-13-2017 01:28 AM #7
      Yep they do. ours was received nine stock other than a head unit and everything was there with 3 adult owners and 12 years of maintenance history.

everything works, nothing was a problem and drove it 1k miles from LA to Camas.

I've modified a few things but saved every stock part.

Picked it up a month ago.

They're out there.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      4x VR Corrado, 1978 S30 280Z
      03-13-2017 04:50 PM #8
      I have one that I bought new. Stock except for the radio. Now at 285,000 miles. It's really rusty and not worth dropping $6k+ on body work. (furthest away)
      So, I bought another 3 1/2 years ago, a basket case. Reassembled it and it's actually a pretty nice car, if you ignore the faded paint. (the red one)
      So, I had so much fun with that one I bought another 3 years ago. 1 owner, full records, excellent condition, all stock even the original radio. Drove it from Tampa, FL to Worcester, MA with no trouble whatsoever. Did some maintenance. Then it had some engine problems, now it's in the 53rd week of getting those repaired. Should be fixed soon if it ever warms up again (we are getting 2 more feet of snow tonight). (the purple one)
      So, I bought another 2 years ago, on ebay of all places. Several owners, all stock except for the radio and in very nice condition. Drove it home from Washington, DC to Worcester, MA with no trouble at all. Did some maintenance, and it still needs some more as the heat does not work. This makes it lousy to drive in the winter. (nearest)

I guess what I'm saying, is that they are out there. My suggestion? Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Also use craigslist. Look nationwide. Buy the best condition body you can get, everything else is relatively cheap to fix. As I'm sure you know mechanical fixes are the cheapest, interior fixes 2nd cheapest, body repairs are the most expensive. In my opinion anyway. I would not hesitate to buy one that needed major mechanical or electrical work if it had a solid body and interior. Except I am not buying any more anytime soon. Unless a nice yellow '90 G60 in original condition comes my way.
      Yes, I still have 4 of the things.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      03-13-2017 05:03 PM #9
      theprf - lovely set of cars, you lucky dog. I am looking nationally (now), and I agree on the priorities (body first, then interior, then engine bay). My only "hard" rule is that I want to stay with a VR6.
      TWhitney105 - I'm glad you found one, and encouraged that more exist in the wild
      PursuitOfCorrado - pretty car! I'm not limiting myself to $4k, or $5k or any cash amount; I'm just trying to align my view of "what would I for a car with these deficiencies" to what seems the going rate. I think I'm misaligned.

Thanks all for the encouragement.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      94 Corrado
      03-13-2017 06:36 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by edocdog View Post

I bought my 94 12 years ago from a second owner California car and paid 4K. Since then I have put at least 15k into it. As most know if you want it right or perfect (what ever that is) your going to pay.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI; 1993 Corrado
      03-13-2017 07:08 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by theprf View Post
      I have one that I bought new. Stock except for the radio. Now at 285,000 miles. It's really rusty and not worth dropping $6k+ on body work. (furthest away)
      So, I bought another 3 1/2 years ago, a basket case. Reassembled it and it's actually a pretty nice car, if you ignore the faded paint. (the red one)
      So, I had so much fun with that one I bought another 3 years ago. 1 owner, full records, excellent condition, all stock even the original radio. Drove it from Tampa, FL to Worcester, MA with no trouble whatsoever. Did some maintenance. Then it had some engine problems, now it's in the 53rd week of getting those repaired. Should be fixed soon if it ever warms up again (we are getting 2 more feet of snow tonight). (the purple one)
      So, I bought another 2 years ago, on ebay of all places. Several owners, all stock except for the radio and in very nice condition. Drove it home from Washington, DC to Worcester, MA with no trouble at all. Did some maintenance, and it still needs some more as the heat does not work. This makes it lousy to drive in the winter. (nearest)

I guess what I'm saying, is that they are out there. My suggestion? Keep an eye on the classifieds here. Also use craigslist. Look nationwide. Buy the best condition body you can get, everything else is relatively cheap to fix. As I'm sure you know mechanical fixes are the cheapest, interior fixes 2nd cheapest, body repairs are the most expensive. In my opinion anyway. I would not hesitate to buy one that needed major mechanical or electrical work if it had a solid body and interior. Except I am not buying any more anytime soon. Unless a nice yellow '90 G60 in original condition comes my way.
      Yes, I still have 4 of the things.
      My guess is that you are the only person in the world who owns four running Corrados.
      <a href=http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6019435-93-White-amp-Recaro>My Car</a>

12. 03-13-2017 09:17 PM #12
      With such a small number of cars to choose from, only a few on autotrader.com for the entire country at any one time, good ones are hard to come by because they are so hard to find, and people don't want to sell them. I guess I was relatively lucky getting my first one, which only had a leaking steering rack to get running well, but I was still able to drive it 1200 miles home sight unseen.

The second one I bought off Ebay sight unseen, and looked like a brand new car. It had a weepy head gasket, but it was fine for the 800 mile drive home. It was completely stock and still is, except for euro bits like lighting, seatbelts, steering wheel, etc and had just over 100k on the clock, but was garaged and really well looked after with still puffy seat foam, etc.

So they are around, but you really have to look for a long time to find a stock one, because apparently stock Corrados suck until they are lowered 2 inches, have a loud exhaust and as many stickers as will fit on the back window. The first one I got was modded with a really stiff suspension, oversized wheels, after-market exhaust, etc, but is now relatively stock and drives much better. I do know of a nice one in Seattle that was for sale, but I called the owner and he is hoping to find time to fix it now (head gasket failed).

This one looks nice:

Autotrader Corrado
      Last edited by a_riot; 03-13-2017 at 09:45 PM.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC
      03-13-2017 10:22 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jupiters_spot View Post
      I am looking nationally (now)
      Use the Craigslist feature on AutoTempest.com if you aren't already. That's where I found mine.
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      To be fair it's kind of Toyota's fault for pandering to people who don't give a **** about cars.

Vehicles
      95 GLX - 90 G60 - 98 GTI - 16 .:R
      03-14-2017 10:42 AM #14
      My experience thus far, I found an abused VR6 lots of the issues you are claiming, it has sat for about 2 years. I got good price for it so I bought it.

Spent the whole first year fixing all said issues and there were many!

At one point I found some rust and just lost it and up and sold the car out of frustration. Fast forward about 3 months and found a clean corrado... catch was the engine was toast, so I bought it put in a new engine and off I went.

All in all, both cars were not cheap, I still have my corrado but settled for a G60 and miss my vr6, I regret selling my vr6 because as many issues as it gave me, it was never any thing I couldn't fix and the joy I got of driving it was worth all the issues and frustration in my opinion.

I feel like I over reacted on the rust and could have addressed it, the new owner has the car looking pretty and running tip top.

I do feel corrados are a money pit, they just are. But really most cars are, you will never get what you put in.

The thing about it is that you just have to enjoy it for what it is and pay the tax to own a corrado.

I have been looking for another "Clean" VR6 and have yet to find one, as other mentioned I've been seeing the 3-5 k price range for non clean examples, that is just the market for this car unfortunately.

/My 2 cents.
      Looking for Corrado parts... always need Corrado parts.....................

15. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2017 10:58 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post
      Use the Craigslist feature on AutoTempest.com if you aren't already. That's where I found mine.
      That site is funky. I can't get it to work in Chrome when I have trackers and such blocked, so I have to use another browser to get any sort of result.

Thanks for the tip :-)

16. Member
      Vehicles
      03-14-2017 11:00 AM #16
      I might be pretty happy with a straight car with a toast VR6 -- that way I can put in an OBD2 VR6 from a 97/98 Passat. It would match well with my 97 Jetta VR6. I'd just have to trailer the car home from wherever it is.

17. 03-15-2017 12:51 AM #17
      I might be pretty happy with a straight car with a toast VR6 -- that way I can put in an OBD2 VR6 from a 97/98 Passat. It would match well with my 97 Jetta VR6. I'd just have to trailer the car home from wherever it is.
      Not sure how common that is. The VR6 engine often outlasts the rest of the car. My first one has 195k miles on the motor, and still pulls great, and is clean as a whistle inside. I do get some piston slap noise when started on a cold day, or perhaps its a small exhaust leak, but that goes away after a minute, and only occurs when temps are near freezing. My other one purrs at 110k regardless of the temps. I haven't seen another Corrado on Seattle roads in about a year, so they are definitely unicorns around here. I did see a red 1992 on Craigslist the other day, but it was in CO and was $12k. I don't see it anymore so I assume it eventually sold. You might want to be patient, as I'm sure more will come up for sale once spring hits.

This one is in CA and under $4k, and looks not beat up.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest
      Last edited by a_riot; 03-15-2017 at 12:58 AM.

18. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2004 911 Turbo Cabrio - 2006 BMW m5 - 2010 Land Rover LR4 - 1992 Corrado VR6 SLC
      03-15-2017 01:18 AM #18
      Biggest issue I found with finding one in this price range was mileage not being accurate or a scrap title. Others were either restored and looked great but didn't have the project aspect I wanted, were a g60, or had led a very abused life.

You might have more luck around tax time next month - tends to be a good time to look for cars in the price range you're looking for from my experience.

The more I read the forums and this thread the more I feel lucky to find mine. I really wanted a silver one and even at one point said st color but red. Too many other things about the car fit the bill to pass up though.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      03-15-2017 05:18 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by a_riot View Post

This one is in CA and under $4k, and looks not beat up.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...t&CMP=atempest
      Yeah, that sold a couple of weeks ago. He had posted it on Craigslist and sold locally, but forgot to remove his ad on Cars.com :-(

20. 03-15-2017 05:48 PM #20
      Yeah, that sold a couple of weeks ago. He had posted it on Craigslist and sold locally, but forgot to remove his ad on Cars.com :-(
      Shame, that was a 2 owner car that was under 4k. They don't come up often. If I see one locally I'll post here.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2017 01:10 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by a_riot View Post

This one looks nice: link
      Another of theirs: 92 Corrado with 28k miles. No price yet, but given the price for the one you linked to, it's likely north of $25k.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      03-16-2017 04:38 PM #22
      Yet another gorgeous example, a steal at only $24k

Vehicles
      95 GLX - 90 G60 - 98 GTI - 16 .:R
      03-16-2017 06:13 PM #23
      Yet another gorgeous example, a steal at only $24k
      I leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmnFeeB7uE
      Looking for Corrado parts... always need Corrado parts.....................

Vehicles
      90 G60 (since new) 93+VR 13 GTI
      03-16-2017 07:45 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by D4vid4F View Post
      I leave this here....
      Cool video. I've found the saying it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast one slow applies to the Corrado.

25. 03-17-2017 12:46 PM #25
      I just picked up a really clean 2 owner low mileage 92 however it has been sitting for years, will not start, paid 4k, and drove 8 hrs each way to get it. Be patient and picky.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast