VWVortex.com - Just how complicated is a 1967 Bentley T1's fuel system anyway?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just how complicated is a 1967 Bentley T1's fuel system anyway?

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      03-14-2017 10:44 PM #26
      Vad, I sure hope to see it in your driveway.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

2. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      03-14-2017 11:22 PM #27
      Hmm, H.E. Pennypacker?

Vehicles
      W116 - W123 - AMG - Land Rovers
      03-15-2017 12:45 AM #28
      For $4,000, I'd snag it and just let it sit. This car will never be cheaper.

Vehicles
      2013 GTI/S60R/E30 M3 (imported from Nigeria)/Saab 9-5 Aero (imported from Washington)
      03-15-2017 12:47 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      Vad, I sure hope to see it in your driveway.
      I just need someone's NorCal driveway on a temporary basis. No luck so far
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

03-15-2017 10:10 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Seller update:

Convincing TCLer Slonie to let me store it at his NorCal abode failed. I'm now trying to convince TCLer Jerry_HEAVEN to let me park it in his NorCal driveway but, once he discovered a 1967 Bentley was involved, his only responses consist of "New phone. Who dis?"...
      How about SW KS? I'd even come get it. For a fee...

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

6. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      03-15-2017 10:25 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Harv View Post
      For $4,000, I'd snag it and just let it sit. This car will never be cheaper.
      but i dont know that itll really be much more, in the foreseeable future anyway.
      maybe this one will, being a T1. but... i dunno

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      03-15-2017 12:40 PM #32
      Vad, I sure hope to see it in your mom's driveway.
      FTFY.

8. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      03-15-2017 12:54 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      How about SW KS? I'd even come get it. For a fee...

Chris
      go grab it with your huge truck and stop by my place on the way to KS, we can get it going and clean up the brakes

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
      This Aussie guy is restoring a 76 Rolls Royce. I know it's not a Bentley, but I wonder if you will run into similar experiences with the complicated British things that make you grind your teeth. No wonder they have horrible teeth.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...erience-thread
      that one is a bit more complicated being a late SS1.

here is a thread on a nearly identical '67 shadow

03-15-2017 03:17 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
      go grab it with your huge truck and stop by my place on the way to KS, we can get it going and clean up the brakes

Man, I'd love to if I wasn't going after this 31 Chevy truck.

Chris
      | 2003 Dodge Ram | 2002 BMW 530i con mañuel | 1999 Ford F-250 | 1974 SuperBeetle | 1979 Camaro | 1975 Scout |
      The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

10. Member The A1 and A2 German's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Sonoma S-15, Mark 3 Caddy, Audi A4, 71 CL175, 71 CB350, 69 Stinger, V-Twin Chopper, A4 SC'd Avant,
      03-15-2017 03:31 PM #35
      So much car for $4,000 or, there's a reason this is $4,000.

Considering this isn't an ultra rare "omg" ~barn find, what a find!......I would go another route.

- 10 hours buffing the paint
      - 5 hours buffing the glass
      - 5 hours reconditioning and redying the seals
      - 2 weeks pulling apart (semi apart) the interior and shampooing and redying the carpet, treatment of all the leather, treatment of the wood, and just bringing her back to life on the inside where needed.

Then, the controversy: ~Modern 4 disk swap with modern brakes, drivetrain and modern motor swap. 1.5-2" drop on coils and something that complements the car considering the wheels. I'd document the original pieces and sell to others for their restoration purposes.

Mint mint inside, mint mint outside, however solid with an EFI V8 ~modern system.

Let's face it, the #1 reason people avoid cars of this nature is the nightmare which lies beneath it's sheet metal. No one's scared of the body, the interior, the radio, the chrome, the paint.....it's the components under neath which make people cringe, so do away with them.

Do it proper, no bright colors under the hood, no red or blue AN fittings, no stainless steal braided lines. Take the ~modern V8 valve covers and powdercoat them that old red plum matt champagne color, and components that old tan color, using brushed nickle hardware. Nothing glossy, nothing bling.

Best of both words, like a house built in the 1900's with modern wiring, plumbing and roof.
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

11. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      03-15-2017 03:47 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      Then, the controversy: ~Modern 4 disk swap with modern brakes, drivetrain and modern motor swap. 1.5-2" drop on coils and something that complements the car considering the wheels. I'd document the original pieces and sell to others for their restoration purposes.

Mint mint inside, mint mint outside, however solid with an EFI V8 ~modern system.
      getting the original stuff back to normal working order would likely be a lot less work and $.
      this thing was literally built around that engine and funky brake system.
      also it already has 4 wheel disc brakes with huge calipers (four piston on each rear corner).

also, coils and a drop on one of these would really defeat the purpose of the car. its meant to be totally isolating from the road. ruining that makes it kind of pointless IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      Man, I'd love to if I wasn't going after this 31 Chevy truck.

Chris
      but vad could really use your help! and id love to help him spend his money
      Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 03-15-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Vehicles
      1984 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT, 1994 Miata R-Package
      03-15-2017 03:59 PM #37
      What the ****! Do it

Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      What do I love about TCL?

First, this crazy Bentley turns up.

Then, everyone chimes in with opinions including a guy who has extensive ownership and resto experience. Amazing!
      Right? It's the best
      Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | PSN: dsgolson | XBL: Ryukein
      Quote Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
      In after Ryukein seal of approval.
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      Your photos don't qualify for the Ryukein seal of approval
      |||||||

13. Member The A1 and A2 German's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Sonoma S-15, Mark 3 Caddy, Audi A4, 71 CL175, 71 CB350, 69 Stinger, V-Twin Chopper, A4 SC'd Avant,
      03-15-2017 04:08 PM #38
      also it already has 4 wheel disc brakes with huge calipers (four piston on each rear corner).

Ha....who knew you could raid a '67 Bently for a nice disk set up.
      FS:Custom '73 CB350 Museum Piece, 8 miles FS:3 Piece I-Forged 19" Rims
      FS:Custom '69 Stinger: SOLD FS:10' VTWIN Chopper SOLD :

03-15-2017 04:29 PM #39
      You should trade your broken M3 for this broken Bentley... this is a charity right?

Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      03-15-2017 04:33 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by The A1 and A2 German View Post
      Ha....who knew you could raid a '67 Bently for a nice disk set up.
      I doubt it's really all that much better than a $300 set of Wilwood Dynalites, and I'm sure MUCH heavier.

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      03-15-2017 09:50 PM #41
      but i dont know that itll really be much more, in the foreseeable future anyway.
      maybe this one will, being a T1. but... i dunno
      Yeah. I don't think so either. And from what I remember from Germany back in the day, the fact it has a Bentley badge already makes it less desirable than a Rolls. T1 or not.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      76 Mini, 76 RR, 99 Ford
      03-16-2017 08:28 AM #42
      These old RR/B cars are like M-cars, in that there's a 'standard' going rate for a good clean car. Fire-sales aside, cheap cars are cheap for a reason, and by the time you buy a cheap car and make it into a 'nice' car, the outlay would be the same as just buying that nice car in the first place.

The fuel system is the least of your worries on that car; I'll just leave this here:

Getting that out of the way, as long as you go in with open eyes, it's not too bad. Parts are not stupid expensive and almost everything is readily available; even if it's a 2 week wait ex-UK.

There's nothing like rolling a Rolls (or B) to make you feel a million bucks.

Oh, and read ValveCoverGasket's thread start to finish. The read it again.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...project-thread
      Last edited by drecian; 03-16-2017 at 08:38 AM.
      Jeff

Vehicles
      A rabbit pickup ............__ ______l__\___``````````````` [@_______@_/
      03-16-2017 09:23 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      I just need someone's NorCal driveway on a temporary basis. No luck so far
      I wish I had room, but running at max capacity right now.
      -Jon

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      03-16-2017 09:36 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl O. View Post
      You could always just sit in the back seat and sip brandy if you can't get it running.
      Growing up, one of the kids on the next street over had a camper trailer in his driveway that his family never used. We used to hide in there to drink.

So yea, worse comes to worse, you have the coolest car in the neighborhood to get drunk in while sitting in your driveway.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      06 Explorer 04 Forester 97 M3/4/5 91 318iC
      03-16-2017 09:44 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by drecian View Post
      These old RR/B cars are like M-cars, in that there's a 'standard' going rate for a good clean car. Fire-sales aside, cheap cars are cheap for a reason, and by the time you buy a cheap car and make it into a 'nice' car, the outlay would be the same as just buying that nice car in the first place.

The fuel system is the least of your worries on that car; I'll just leave this here:

Getting that out of the way, as long as you go in with open eyes, it's not too bad. Parts are not stupid expensive and almost everything is readily available; even if it's a 2 week wait ex-UK.

There's nothing like rolling a Rolls (or B) to make you feel a million bucks.

Oh, and read ValveCoverGasket's thread start to finish. The read it again.
      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...project-thread

That is such a bummer. These are cheaper than a similar condition '60s American boat.
      It would make an interesting Roadkill type project with a BBC ot LS swap.
      Unfortunately all the voodoo pictured above kills that plan.

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      03-16-2017 10:27 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      That is such a bummer. These are cheaper than a similar condition '60s American boat.
      It would make an interesting Roadkill type project with a BBC ot LS swap.
      Unfortunately all the voodoo pictured above kills that plan.
      I am curious though, could all that be stripped out and replaced with 'conventional' hardware? I know another poster mentioned something like that earlier, would it be feasible to make this into a driver? Seems that if the entire system has to be gone through anyway, why not change it out for something easier to maintain? Is originality that important on something like this?
      2002 Harley Fat Boy, 2004 Yukon XL Denali, 1993 F-250

22. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      03-16-2017 10:46 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by arozanski View Post
      I am curious though, could all that be stripped out and replaced with 'conventional' hardware? I know another poster mentioned something like that earlier, would it be feasible to make this into a driver? Seems that if the entire system has to be gone through anyway, why not change it out for something easier to maintain? Is originality that important on something like this?
      the point is the whole car was essentially designed around that brake system and the RR v8 under the hood - with two log exhaust manifold that go around the front of the motor, and no real place to mount any brake parts.

replacing any of that with "conventional" hardware would be a huge undertaking.
      for example, there isnt a brake master cylinder (these early cars had one for "brake feel" but thats about it), or a place to put a booster.

on the other hand, fixing whats already there - and what works well if its maintained! - is a lot easier as you can order up a few boxes of parts from albers or flying spares that youre sure will fit and go wild replacing them.

im not a purist by any means, but its a stretch to think you could have it converted to some "conventional" state for less money/effort than itd take to just make it a working stock example. not to mention it wouldnt be worth much if you hacked it all up to fit a SBC in there.

so, in closing, of course theyre complicated - they cost ~2x the price of an average home when new.
      but all of the parts are available and nearly all of the complex systems were designed to be rebuilt and all of those rebuild and service parts are available.

...but i feel like im talking to myself... in before someone else posts "yeah, but itd be perfect with an SBC"

Yeah. I don't think so either. And from what I remember from Germany back in the day, the fact it has a Bentley badge already makes it less desirable than a Rolls. T1 or not.
      from my observations in the RROC classifieds and the ads in the club magazine it seems the T1s really are worth a fair bit more.

nadaguides does seem to play that out as well
      '67 T1 RHD - 20-26k average retail
      '67 SS1 RHD - 13-18k average retail
      Last edited by ValveCoverGasket; 03-16-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      03-16-2017 10:51 AM #48
      the point is the whole car was essentially designed around that brake system and the RR v8 under the hood - with two log exhaust manifold that go around the front of the motor, and no real place to mount any brake parts.

replacing any of that with "conventional" hardware would be a huge undertaking.
      for example, there isnt a brake master cylinder (these early cars had one for "brake feel" but thats about it), or a place to put a booster.

on the other hand, fixing whats already there - and what works well if its maintained! - is a lot easier as you can order up a few boxes of parts from albers or flying spares that youre sure will fit and go wild replacing them.

im not a purist by any means, but its a stretch to think you could have it converted to some "conventional" state for less money/effort than itd take to just make it a working stock example. not to mention it wouldnt be worth much if you hacked it all up to fit a SBC in there.

so, in closing, of course theyre complicated - they cost ~2x the price of an average home when new.
      but all of the parts are available and nearly all of the complex systems were designed to be rebuilt and all of those rebuild and service parts are available.

...but i feel like im talking to myself... in before someone else posts "yeah, but itd be perfect with an SBC"
      Ah, I did not know about the lack of space. I'd be all for keeping the original drivetrain, too. Anyway, it would be neat to bring back.
      2002 Harley Fat Boy, 2004 Yukon XL Denali, 1993 F-250

24. Geriatric Member ValveCoverGasket's Avatar
      Vehicles
      german and british
      03-16-2017 11:03 AM #49
      from my observations in the RROC classifieds and the ads in the club magazine it seems the T1s really are worth a fair bit more.

nadaguides does seem to play that out as well
      '67 T1 RHD - 20-26k average retail
      '67 SS1 RHD - 13-18k average retail
      expanding on this - it seems theyre even more rare than id originally assumed

wikipedia says 1700 T1s produced during the SS1 run
      as compared to 16700 SS1s. so ~1/10 as many. that explains the much higher pricing for whats essentially a carbon copy of the SS1 with a different grill and badges.

if you were looking for a shadow based car to sink money into bringing it back to life, this would be about the wisest choice as far as that goes. and assuming the engine is fine, and the transmission doesnt need rebuilding, youd actually stand to break even or have some equity, once you were done. especially since the paint and interior look good on this one. its the reason id avoid that blue one at the specialty dealer posted earlier.

Vehicles
      One E24, One W124, One P2
      03-16-2017 11:08 AM #50
      First it was like everyone in TCL was buying Chevy SS's... then we had a run on Golf R's... I think this era of Bentleys and RR's should be our next "group buy"

I've been pestering ValveCoverGasket for info on these, they just seem like the perfect way to distract yourself from being stuck in LA traffic - assuming you've properly refreshed the cooling system, of course..

Vad I really hope you get this one, or another like it.
      - A bunch of old, tough, unbreakable German iron
      - One temperamental, stubborn, fragile Italian thing
      - One Swedish memoriam

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast