The Car Lounge
    Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Colour indecision 2017 Mustang

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-17-2017 12:58 PM #76
      Oh goody, a thread I can comment in.

I own this...

First of all l want to make it very clear that GB is one of the most gorgeous colours I've ever lain eyes on which is one of the reasons I couldn't resist. When I was originally buying the car, I was stuck between Race Red, Oxford White (I wanted red interior), GB, and Sterling Grey. Sterling Grey was on hold for early 2012 so I couldn't order it if I wanted, I already owned a fire-engine red car and didn't want another to complement, and to this day I think I regret not going for the white on red the most, but anyway.

Secondly, I want to say to forget about the stripe like many others have mentioned. It is tacky and is more of a throwback than an actual complement to the design of the car. The only exception to this rule is perhaps white on blue stripe which is nice and classic Mustang, of course.

Thirdly, if you are dailying the car, be advised that the GB attracts a lot of attention, some of it unwanted. Much more so than your reds and whites. This applies to the orange and yellow as well.

Fourthly, GB looks great even when dirty AF. This is a plus. It also hides a lot of detailing ****-ups like swirls quite well.

Fifthly, the dark colours offered are quite nice, but the shape of this car needs a bright colour. Whether it is Race, Yellow, or GB. And please don't get black, it is so very lame on this car.

All this said, the colour palate on the S550 is even bigger than it was on the S197.2. Personally, if I were to buy a new car today, it would be between Race Red and white only because after almost 6 years, I am a bit tired of the attention the car attracts (and everyone knowing where I am at any given time if you are in a smaller town). I am also still sour about having a black interior (forced when buying GB), but that's me.

Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Yup. Formerly, I think the Canadian GT had more standard equipment, but now it's just how the price difference is. The V6 is surprisingly well equipped at $25K US, $26K CA base. $33K US for a base GT or $38K CA is quite a jump.

I think the V6 is the way to go over the 4-cylinder, despite them planning on dropping it next year. It's just as quick as the EB, and sounds better, for less ($3K cheaper in Canada, only $1K in the US).
      Yes. *flamesuit engage* I paid a lot of coin for my GT and I both rarely use the full capability of the car nor do I like paying for it. The V6 doesn't get much better gas mileage, but it makes the car a little lighter and your wallet a bit heavier. I would get a V6 PP if I could do it over.

I also don't see the point of the Ecoboost over the V6 besides available options.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 03-17-2017 at 01:01 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      Me: 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, Brilliant Silver. The wife: 2016 Honda CR-V Special Edition
      03-17-2017 01:00 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by madrussian View Post
      i found a picture of the owner of that car...

Ha! You found me! Great detective work.
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      See? You have to relax before you can completely take in all of TCL's magic.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      03-17-2017 01:10 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      What he means is: When you mix pigment colors, you are subtracting color. When you are mixing light waves, you are using additive coloring.

Subtractive:

Additive:

When you are coloring a car, white is the absence of color because it's made with pigments.

If you mix all the watercolors in your kit together, do you get white paint? No, you get a terrible, dark brown paint.
      With actual paint- mixing all colors turns them into a nasty gray/brown color instead of black.
      So it's not pure subtractive.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Vehicles
      17 Mazda3 GT hatch 6MT -- Hers:2008 R350
      03-17-2017 01:31 PM #79
      With actual paint- mixing all colors turns them into a nasty gray/brown color instead of black.
      So it's not pure subtractive.
      I guess it'll take multiple coats of pigment to subtract all that color. Or you could leave it white and keep all of the color.

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-17-2017 01:53 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by BongTechnician View Post
      I guess it'll take multiple coats of pigment to subtract all that color. Or you could leave it white and keep all of the color.
      I think you have that backwards. As you add lightwaves you fill in and finally have white light when the spectrum is pretty complete, but with pigments you get closer and closer to black the more colors you combine. The ugly brownish color is because of the imperfections of the pigments themselves. That's why we print with CMYK rather than Red, Yellow and Blue. The RYB pigments aren't as pure as CMY, so that's been the printing standard for decades, possibly more than one century.

See the color wheels as examples.

This one shows primary, secondary and the outer ring includes tertiary colors with pigments (as opposed to RGB primary colors in lightwaves like your monitor)

This one shows darker colors and gets close to black without actually using black.

My painting professor would not allow black paint. He had you mix it to keep it from being "flat", which it did. This also prevented people from mixing it with other colors to try to make dark versions of whatever color they were working with, as that muddied them up badly. I used to use a burnt umber and dark, dark blue to mix a black and it worked quite well.

Mixing black as a printer makes a much, much richer color than just black ink, too. I have some paper that can only handle so much ink and use it for certain jobs, but if you go past the ink limits it will revert to pure black ink only and leave out the CMY, making the color get lighter and completely flat at that point. The paper is great for some jobs, but looks terrible on jobs that are deep, rich photographs with lots of dark colors. For that I use a "photo paper" which can hold more ink and the ink profiles allow much more ink on the paper, negating the problem.

[/nerdspeak]
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Vehicles
      03-17-2017 03:40 PM #81

OP. Pick the mustang whos' surface resonates with and thus absorbs all of the visible color wavelengths delivered by the sun with the exception of, say... ~480 nm.
      And then stripe it with a surface that absorbs none of the sun's visible wavelengths contained in its white light.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      03-17-2017 05:12 PM #82
      holy **** who cares about light waves and pigment bullsh!t?

Vehicles
      03-17-2017 05:21 PM #83
      Relax. Its a thread about OP's inability to answer one of lifes most difficult questions..."what is your favorite color?"

What'd you expect to happen in here?

9. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-17-2017 05:37 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      holy **** who cares about light waves and pigment bullsh!t?
      Lighten up, Francis.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-door base DBP
      03-17-2017 05:38 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by BongTechnician View Post
      What'd you expect to happen in here?
      I expected cupcakes and Manuel. Now step to it.
      Let them eat cake...

Vehicles
      03-17-2017 05:57 PM #86
      In case ya didn't know... cake pops are the new cupcakes.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-door base DBP
      03-17-2017 06:57 PM #87
      Holy moly. You deliver.
      Let them eat cake...

Vehicles
      SR71 C30 t53a/b
      03-17-2017 07:07 PM #88
      What color for my cupcakes?
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-17-2017 07:08 PM #89
      Impressive!

Can you find connections in other things? How 'bout cactus and airplanes?

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      03-17-2017 09:20 PM #90

Yes. *flamesuit engage* I paid a lot of coin for my GT and I both rarely use the full capability of the car nor do I like paying for it. The V6 doesn't get much better gas mileage, but it makes the car a little lighter and your wallet a bit heavier. I would get a V6 PP if I could do it over.

I also don't see the point of the Ecoboost over the V6 besides available options.
      can we finally ban this joker for this?

I think the feel of the V8 vs the V6 is worth it alone compared to just how fast it is.

03-17-2017 09:28 PM #91
      Looks good in a gurly kind of way:
      I SUPPORT ROZAPS CUZ I CAN'T POSSIBLY VIEW EVERY THREAD ON THIS BOARD

Vehicles
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      03-17-2017 09:38 PM #92
      Oh goody, a thread I can comment in.

I own this...

Looks too much like a Hot Wheels. Do not want.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-SIX View Post
      You guys are missing the point with manuals...not only does not one want to drive a manual, many active safety systems do not work with manual transmissions. Soon manual trans cars are going to be the most dangerous cars on the road. If they dont die a natural death, they will be outlawed.

Vehicles
      2017 Buick LaCrosse; 2016 GMC Acadia SLT
      03-18-2017 08:49 AM #93
      Of the two color choices presented by the OP, I prefer the white, although I don't dislike the blue. Both look great on the Mustang. However, I got onto the Ford website to look at the choices of colors of racing stripes and was very disappointed. (I assume you are going with the racing stripes down the center of the car. I think they have multiple stripe options) Only black or grey stripes to choose from. I think the Blue looks best with no stripes at all, although white stripes wouldn't look bad with the blue, but that's not an option.

I really love the White color with either red or blue racing stripes. (Both of those used to be available), but not with black (The only option available with the white color choice).

So, my choice, if limited to the white or blue car is to leave the stripes off; or get the White and have a reputable aftermarket shop put on Blue racing stripes.

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-18-2017 11:50 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by MGQ View Post
      can we finally ban this joker for this?

I think the feel of the V8 vs the V6 is worth it alone compared to just how fast it is.

You're welcome to vote with your wallet when you're trading that Fusion Hybrid in.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoXenons View Post
      Looks too much like a Hot Wheels. Do not want.

I think you're confused...

Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

20. 03-18-2017 12:15 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      I feel like I'm very close to ordering a 2017 Mustang but I can't decide on the colour combo.

and apparently I don't know how to make a poll

Grabber blue with black racing stripes
      White with black racing stripes
      * On Ford's web site they have two striped Mustangs, one is Magnetic with blue stripes, the other is Oxford White with blues stripes. Ad copy guys usually get it right, go with either of those combinations.

For me personally, I would buy it in Magnetic and have silver stripes painted on.

* http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/201...r-all-vehicles

21. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-18-2017 12:33 PM #96
      I say buy a color that can easily be resold later.
      Then get a cray-cray wrap-wrap.

Vehicles
      Fusion Hybrid
      03-18-2017 12:43 PM #97

You're welcome to vote with your wallet when you're trading that Fusion Hybrid in.

I actually traded in a V8 Mustang for it. I just don't really like how the new V6 pony cars feel to drive. They don't live up to the numbers. You can tell yourself "well it's a 300 horsepower car", but they just feel like sleds. maybe it's the gearing, I don't know.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      03-18-2017 01:16 PM #98

I actually traded in a V8 Mustang for it. I just don't really like how the new V6 pony cars feel to drive. They don't live up to the numbers. You can tell yourself "well it's a 300 horsepower car", but they just feel like sleds. maybe it's the gearing, I don't know.
      Hey, by TCL standards the Mustang V6 is a better car than a Golf R. More HP, more cylinders, and RWD.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      03-18-2017 01:18 PM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      the Mustang V6 is a better car than a Golf R. More HP, more cylinders, and RWD.
      Glad to see you finally admit that.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-18-2017 04:09 PM #100

Since you traded in a Mustang GT for a Fusion Hybrid, it sounds like you can appreciate that car purchases involve a compromise of different needs.

I don't think anyone would argue against the V8 being the better car. It's also 50% more expensive (in cash, in finance, in lease) than the V6 that OP's buying. That's a huge price/payment difference.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast