Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member with questions

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      04-22-2017 02:54 AM #26
      Glad you found the problem; this is another case where new parts being bad, can be very confusing and make troubleshooting, a challenge. Let us know, how rhe new part test goes and if the install fixes the problem. Thanks!

PS: with all new parts; you shouldn't have any sai system problems for while!
      Last edited by billymade; 04-22-2017 at 02:59 AM.

2. 04-24-2017 11:38 PM #27
      Ok; so I went and picked-up the new secondary air pump. I bench tested it at home before doing anything, and it worked. Pulled the old one (the "new one" I had just put in a few weeks ago) and bench tested it - nothing. So hopefully that's what the problem is/was; a new secondary air pump that was bad from the start (the original one I pulled was very bad and corroded inside). Put the new one from today in and called it good. Cleared the code, and told my daughter (who drives the car) to let me know if the check engine light comes back on. She knows the drill; we've been doing this for a while. I'll let you all know if the code returns (this car has been a little bit of a saga the short time we've owned it).

I drove the bug to return the defective air pump to the parts store (I very rarely drive it - it is my daughter's car), and noticed the dash lights would sometime flicker off for just a split second, and then back on for a bit, and then repeat. Seems to do it a couple times a minute (3-5 times/minute?). Looks like when it does it, the speedometer needle starts to drop too. When I got home I asked my daughter about it, and she said "yeah - it does that". Suggestions? What's going out next on this thing? I don't want it to die somewhere with my daughter driving it.

It is a cute clean car, and plenty of pep with this 2.5 engine. I'd like it to last a while, and be somewhat dependable.

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      04-25-2017 03:19 AM #28
      Hmm, on the speedo cluster; i wonder if there is a connectivity problem at the plug, on the back. You might remove it and confirm the plugs are locked in place:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/technica...s/45794?page=1

I have seen blinking illumination on my speedo but that was when i was having a charging problem or a low battery. It couldn't hurt to have the whole charging system checked; make sure everything is ok.

As these cars age, we are seeing; speedo failures which cause all kinds of problems (gauges stop working, etc). If the speedo ends up being defective; you can have it repaired, bba reman offers a lifetime warranty on their repair service @ $250.

https://www.google.com/search?client...iw=375&bih=559

Also, it couldn't hurt to scan the car for trouble codes with a vw specific scan tool. If you are going to keep the car for awhile; a vw scan tool, will really save you money and help, you troubleshoot problems.

You might check out these vw scan tools: the vag 401, obdeleven that runs on android devices and vcds by ross tech, that runs on a windows pc.
      Last edited by billymade; 04-25-2017 at 03:24 AM.

4. 04-26-2017 10:14 PM #29
      My daughter has driven the bug the last couple days, and NO CODES!!!!! Finally done with this 0411 it seems.

I'll start checking grounds next to see if that'll stop the dash light flicker. And see how old the battery is.

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      04-27-2017 01:25 AM #30
      Good, sounds like you are making progress.

6. 04-29-2017 01:40 AM #31
      At least no more CE light. This forum has been great helping me with this little bug.

If the battery is old, I'll just go ahead and replace it for good measure (currently starts fine). We'll see if that fixes the dash lights flickering (worst case scenario the bug gets a new battery it may not have needed). But in reading threads about changing out the bug battery, it sounds like a nightmare! Things stop working afterwards, etc. And I've replaced a lot of batteries over the years.

One of the issues I've read about is the radio might need a code to get working again after replacing the battery (I guess if it says "SAFE" you need to enter a code). The bug has the monsoon stereo system in it if that makes it special. Who knows how many owners this thing has had (2008 convertible 2.5/auto) so there's no radio code written down anywhere. How can I go about getting the radio's code before I go dinking around with the battery? I read there are grounds under the battery, so if I pull the battery to check the grounds there, if it is old I might as well toss a new one in there if the battery is more than just a couple years old.

We're going to be going to the dealer to get a new key made sometime soon. Can they scan the system for the radio code while they're messing with it?

And is there something you need to do to reprogram the windows? Seems like there was some sequence you had to go through with the master window switch and the ignition key.

My first car (a 63 bug) didn't have these issues.

Good thing my daughter enjoys this little car!

Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      04-29-2017 01:46 AM #32
      As for the battery; don't throw parts at the flickering issue, have the electrical system check and testing, to confirm. I just replaced my battery and stepped up to a higher quality and CCA; it has made a difference, when it comes to turning over the engine (much faster). So, I think, that I had a under spec battery; based upon, how this new one is. I bought the Autozone house brand: Duralast Platinum BCI Part #: H5-AGM CCA: 680 Amp Hours: 60

To get you up to speed on the key fob situation and programming; check out this faq:

http://www.fixmyvw.com/vw-key-fob-programming-guide/

As for the radio; most of the time, if you do a basic power/on off, you will be ok but sometimes, "safemode" will be persistent. At that point you need the radio code; there are some online sources and then, you local dealer, should be a able to help, look it up for you (you need the number on top of radio).

https://www.google.com/search?q=radi...hrome&ie=UTF-8
      Last edited by billymade; 04-29-2017 at 02:01 AM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12