VWVortex.com - My first time modding - Rear Sway Bar - is there a consensus?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My first time modding - Rear Sway Bar - is there a consensus?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf R, 2012 Golf TDI
      03-19-2017 12:19 PM #1
      Already scheduled a Stage 2 APR tune for June with my local shop.

1. Stage 2 ECU
      2. DSG flash
      3. Downpipe
      4. DogBone Mount upgrade

In the meantime, I'd like to install the CAI and possibly rear sway myself.

Was going to go APR CAI but have no idea what brand Rear Sway to go with?

Aside from springs/coilovers (which I've nixed secondary to doing a lot of highway driving with this thing and I don't want it too loud or too harsh), any other minimum essential upgrades?

I do all my own servicing on my vehicles (mostly oil and brakes) so I'm not completely retarded under the hood.

Thanks.
      Last edited by h0mersimps0n; 03-19-2017 at 02:17 PM.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R rising blue.
      03-19-2017 01:26 PM #2
      if your are 6 speed i would consider a clutch if you're dsg i would do a DSG tune.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      03-19-2017 02:16 PM #3
      Yeah, I'll add DSG tune...

4. 03-19-2017 02:18 PM #4
      Basic stuff like the spare tire, and some sort of oil pan protection. Probably not quite as fun, but definitely important.

5. 03-19-2017 06:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by McJaggleToes View Post
      Basic stuff like the spare tire, and some sort of oil pan protection. Probably not quite as fun, but definitely important.
      What a spoilsport - it is wayyyy more important to add a bunch of useless "performance" mods that do little but kick your warranty in the ass and give you bragging rights amongst your forum buddies.

I wrote this about 7 years ago on the BMW board. It still applies:

Given all the "if I do this, will my warranty blow up in my face" and "why'd I get pulled over for my 20000k headlights and my .5% tintz" posts, I thought that I would give my take on modding.

Don't be a lemming. Just because others are doing a particular mod doesn't mean you do.

Decide what advantages a certain mod have for you. Be honest - is it sound, appearance or performance. Remember that very few mods will actually improve performance or real world handling.

Do your research. What disadvantages does this mod have? Will it affect your warranty? What can some of the unintended consequences be? Has BMW (or another manufacturer) specifically warned against this type of mod? What are the legal implications? Do the cops in your area enforce that particular law? Is it unsafe to you or others?

Is the full cost of the mod (parts, labor, increased operating costs) worth the benefit?

he point is not to dissuade anyone from modding - just to be aware of the consequences.

I'd much rather that you thought about a mod in advance than come back here and moan about a mod gone wrong.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with modding your car to personalize it as long as you do the right things for the right reasons. Right being subjective of course but is "right" only if you've considered all the benefits and consequences.

There is an entire industry built around producing illegal and unsafe crap for the wannabe modder. I want people to think about what they are doing before they spend their parent's hard earned money.

On the other hand, there are lots of tastefully (that's obviously subjective) and properly modded cars on this board.

If you want to wrap your entire car in carbon fiber burlap then that is your decision and affects nobody but yourself, but when you modify a perfectly good headlamp to blind oncoming drivers and reduce your own visibility then somebody needs to step up to the plate and say "have you really thought about what you are doing?"

And finally

Are you mentally and monetarily prepared to pay for both the mod and the consequences of the mod? This includes paying for damage that the dealer refuses to fix under warranty because they believe it was caused by the mod.

My recommendation has always been to drive the car for a while, determine what you like about it and what you don't. What things that you don't like can you fix?

I see too many people spending lots of money on mods that bring little or no value (CAI for example) because they think it is the "cool thing to do" instead of independently researching advantages.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Vehicles
      2017 Golf R DCC/NAV
      03-19-2017 06:10 PM #6
      Personally I don't think you should just throw money at suspension stuff because other people say you should.

Do you drive in a way you think a thicker/stiffer rear sway bar would benefit? Awesome, get it.

If you don't know why/how a RSB is going to react on the car I'd hold off instead of throwing money at every part under the sun (tunes, intakes, mount insert, etc) - why not get them one at a time and see what parts you feel it needs after getting the tune done?

While not fun, the center console, spare tire kit, and ROW headrests I thought were fantastic upgrades and worth every penny.
      2017 OW VW Golf R DCC/NAV
      2004 NFR Honda S2000 Supercharged

7. 03-19-2017 08:56 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMuffnMan View Post
      Personally I don't think you should just throw money at suspension stuff because other people say you should.

Do you drive in a way you think a thicker/stiffer rear sway bar would benefit? Awesome, get it.

If you don't know why/how a RSB is going to react on the car I'd hold off instead of throwing money at every part under the sun (tunes, intakes, mount insert, etc) - why not get them one at a time and see what parts you feel it needs after getting the tune done?

While not fun, the center console, spare tire kit, and ROW headrests I thought were fantastic upgrades and worth every penny.
      Sorry, but that just makes way too much sense.

I could probably buy a new R with all of the mods I've bought based upon recommendations from others about what was the next best thing. Most of those solved a problem that nobody had.

Rather than being a lemming, any modder should ask themselves "do I really understand what a CAI/RSB/XYB/ABC does? Does it solve a problem I actually have?"

"Do I regularly drive in a manner that causes excessive body roll? If so, will a RSB resolve this problem? Do I drive in a manner where I need more power? Will an ECU tune help this issue or would a performance driving class (that is transferable from car to car and might save my life by making me a better driver) be a better choice?"

It is perfectly OK to say "I want a CAI to sound like a boy racer" but is it a wise way to spend money if one believes that a CAI will provide more power?

The R is a great car that is very well balanced. Individual drivers may want to tweak a few aspects that bother them, but I don't see the advantage of throwing handfuls of mods at the car just because you can - that's aside from all the warranty woes, rattles and driveability that he may also be buying.

8. 03-19-2017 09:58 PM #8
      Think you guys may have gone a little overboard on the OP. He was seeking information about basic mods that many people here already have, and asking appropriate questions.

I agree with you about mods solely for mod sake, but the lectures are blatantly condescending, and certainly not for the OP's benefit.

Go take a Xanax.
      Last edited by McJaggleToes; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 PM.

9. 03-19-2017 10:55 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by McJaggleToes View Post
      Think you guys may have gone a little overboard on the OP. He was seeking information about basic mods that many people here already have, and asking appropriate questions.

I agree with you about mods solely for mod sake, but the lectures are blatantly condescending, and certainly not for the OP's benefit.

Go take a Xanax.
      Good point. The OP should buy a RSB and a CAI now. They are both cool mods that everybody in the boy racer community is doing - so they have to be the right mods - even if all of his driving are on city streets.

When the RSB starts making noise, he'll think it is something else and take it in. The dealer will, of course, deny warranty service.

Both are great mods that are very useful and you don't need to do any research - there are plenty of guys here that'll say "just do it."

10. 03-19-2017 11:14 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
      Good point. The OP should buy a RSB and a CAI now. They are both cool mods that everybody in the boy racer community is doing - so they have to be the right mods - even if all of his driving are on city streets.

When the RSB starts making noise, he'll think it is something else and take it in. The dealer will, of course, deny warranty service.

Both are great mods that are very useful and you don't need to do any research - there are plenty of guys here that'll say "just do it."
      You sound like a really cool guy... . Remind me to mute you.

Clearly your lunatic ranting is for nobody's benefit but your own. People who insist on carrying on like you make forums miserable places to be.
      Last edited by McJaggleToes; 03-19-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R DSG
      03-19-2017 11:44 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post

1. Stage 2 ECU
      2. DSG flash
      3. Downpipe
      4. DogBone Mount upgrade

Aside from springs/coilovers (which I've nixed secondary to doing a lot of highway driving with this thing and I don't want it too loud or too harsh), any other minimum essential upgrades?

I do all my own servicing on my vehicles (mostly oil and brakes) so I'm not completely retarded under the hood.

Thanks.
      I'm stage II now, you're going to love it. Excellent daily driver. Do you have DCC? I do and often switch modes based on preference. I have not done anything suspension wise to the car. I'm undecided on what to do as well. Will stick around to hear what others are doing. I do feel the need to upgrade the suspension though, just want to make sure I maintain flexibility in ride quality. My gut says to lower it a touch, add the dogbone mount, a sway bar or two, and some coilovers (and maybe switch to 18s). I like my ride to feel more like a sports car than a sedan. That's a huge exaggeration but the car definitely has room for improvement in the handling department.

12. 03-20-2017 09:32 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post

1. Stage 2 ECU
      2. DSG flash
      3. Downpipe
      4. DogBone Mount upgrade

Thanks.
      I have the APR intake and it's quite quiet on own. I also don;t like that it doesn't change the direct flow of air into it. I love it now that I have Turbo muffler delete and CTS inlet pipe. I also have the stock part removed that blocks the direct flow. Just my 2c on intake, I think better designs like VWR, Forge etc. Or if it's for sound probably look at open style one.

Stage 2 with DSG tune is fantastic. You will love it. Regarding sway bars that has been my latest mod. I had 22mm superpro RSB and end links installed and makes noticeable improvement at cornering at speed, livened rear up and removed under steer. I have no plans on doing any other suspension mods. It handles great stock IMO.

Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R MT /// 12 VW Tiguan SEL 4Motion
      03-20-2017 12:56 PM #13
      I'd highly recommend 034 subframe mounts before any other suspension mod, they've made quite an improvement. Eventually I added SuperPro rear sway bar and end links to clean up the back end a little more but for most people subframe mounts would make all the improvement they were looking for. Most aftermarket CAIs are , just open up you factory direct air intake put a AFE drop in filter and you just saved your self at least $325 (what 034 charges for their CAI https://store.034motorsport.com/p34-...gen-3-mqb.html ).

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03-20-2017 02:21 PM #14
      First, thank you to all those with constructive posts and recommendations.

Regarding CB1111, not sure what side of the bed you got up on but if you want to move onto the next thread and "help" the next person I won't be offended. It sounds like you've had your share of warranty issues from modding and if so, I'm sorry you've had to suffer through that. My intention, which I thought was pretty well stated, was to get some opinion on parts/brands and not so much a philosophical discussion on whether one should mod in the first place.

Anyway, I own #41 of the first 500 blue MK7 Golf R's that hit stateside in 2015. Hence, yes, I have DCC and I LOVE IT! The ability to go from comfort to race mode is absolutely noticeable and what I feel is the perfect setup for my type of commuting which is everything from super short and spirited to 1.5hr highway driving one way). This is exactly why, when my local shop asked, I told him under no circumstances do I want springs, coilovers or to replace any mount or exhaust piece that will make the vehicle loud, harsh or have bad vibration. My thought is and impression is that a rear sway bar will demonstrate some improvement in roll and understeer without any compromise to the current ride dynamics I enjoy.

I've been on these forums since the purchase of my first VW - a 2003 Jetta GLI which I loved dearly and have owned VW's in some way shape or form since then. Up until January of this year I owned a 2012 Golf TDI tech package AND my R - crazy to own TWO golfs? yep. Didn't care. Sadly, the TDI is gone and replaced with a BMW X1.

Which brings me to my next point, not everyone in this forum is a fanboy, momma's boy living out of their parents house. There are a few of us wealthy folks who just won't grow the **** up looking to keep a smile on our face, hair on fire until the coffers are buffed enough to pay cash for our next Porsche.

15. Banner Advertiser CarNut84GTi's Avatar
      Vehicles
      84 GTI, 09 A3 2.0T Quattro
      03-20-2017 02:47 PM #15
      Looks like there has been a lot of other discussion, but I don't see anything on your original question.

As for brand recommendations, Neuspeed tends to be my top choice. Great fit/finish/performance, and tubular so they are quite light: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/mer...t_Code=2502256

Can also hook you up with Eibach, H&R, and others, but Neuspeed would be my first choice
      www.VDubWarehouse.com Contact: 775-342-9591
      Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/vdubwarehouse
      Great Deals on WRD, Koni, H&R, Neuspeed, APR, SPEC, Techtonics Tuning, Eurospec Sport, and more!

My 09 A3 Quattro Build

Vehicles
      15R, 16R
      03-20-2017 06:38 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by CarNut84GTi View Post
      Looks like there has been a lot of other discussion, but I don't see anything on your original question.

As for brand recommendations, Neuspeed tends to be my top choice. Great fit/finish/performance, and tubular so they are quite light: http://www.vdubwarehouse.com/mm5/mer...t_Code=2502256

Can also hook you up with Eibach, H&R, and others, but Neuspeed would be my first choice
      Seconded. This is the first VW I've had that has been almost perfect for me right out of the box, and haven't modded it much yet -- BUT, aftermarket RSBs on all of my previous VWs have made quite a huge change in handling, flatting out the corners. Neuspeed makes good stuff, have also had BSH on my MKV.
      ┌┐
      R

17. 03-20-2017 06:39 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by CarNut84GTi View Post

While all of these sway bars are very similar, the big difference lies with the bushings. Make sure you do your research about noise because the squeaky bushings (like the Neuspeeds on my co-worker's Porsche) will drive you nuts - not sure if they have the same design for the R.

For advertising information click HERE