VWVortex.com - How to tell if clutch master or slave has gone bad. Pedal stuck to floor.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: How to tell if clutch master or slave has gone bad. Pedal stuck to floor.

1. 03-19-2017 12:53 PM #1
      Was driving like a month ago and the pedal got stuck down when shifting. It stayed down and won't come back up unless I open the bleeder nipple and pull it up. I believe the clutch is ever so slightly engaged. The brake fluid was pretty nasty. I don't believe there is a leak anywhere. Any chance it's just the master?

Vehicles
      93' mk3 VR6 Jetta, 99' MK3 2.0 ABA Jetta
      03-19-2017 05:51 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by madmanmarz View Post
      Was driving like a month ago and the pedal got stuck down when shifting. It stayed down and won't come back up unless I open the bleeder nipple and pull it up. I believe the clutch is ever so slightly engaged. The brake fluid was pretty nasty. I don't believe there is a leak anywhere. Any chance it's just the master?
      Most likely your master cylinder, follow the lines if the show signs or fluid catching dirt. When you open thr bleeder valve did you let air go into the system? Just go for thr cheapesr way to check is to bleed the system with new fluid and go from there

3. 03-19-2017 07:05 PM #3
      ok i'll bleed tomorrow and go from there, although i did bleed a bunch through the bleeder before and there wasn't any air. it was all very sudden too, clutch seemed very normal and smooth up to the point it seized.

Vehicles
      03-20-2017 12:02 AM #4
      Yeah if its just a random id rather recommend the cheapest solution instead of telling to change the slave or master cylinder

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      VW 02 GTI 24v VR6, 6speed (currently own)
      03-20-2017 01:29 AM #5
      Just had the same thing happen to me last month. Was the slave cylinder. I have one for sale if you want to get one. PM for pictures.

Build thread: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...-VR6-GTI-Build
      YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu9...DYkli7cwqq1M4Q
      Parts for sale: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...#post102309217

6. 03-20-2017 08:47 PM #6
      I guess what I'll do is flush the fluid and then remove the outlet hose on the master and see if it pumps like that, if it does that must mean the slave or bearing is seized up in the tranny.

7. 03-26-2017 08:28 AM #7
      top up your fluid, give the clutch a bleed, then find the rubber section of pipe between master and slave cylinder, clamp that of and try your clutch pedal. if pedal doesn't sink at all, then the problem is at the gearbox end

8. 03-26-2017 11:03 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by garryt View Post
      top up your fluid, give the clutch a bleed, then find the rubber section of pipe between master and slave cylinder, clamp that of and try your clutch pedal. if pedal doesn't sink at all, then the problem is at the gearbox end
      Great idea!

Yesterday i bled the brakes and the clutch, now the clutch pedal does return to the normal position but nothing happens when i press it. I am able to shift gears with the car off and if i start the car in gear it will lurch forward. Seems to me like the concentric slave is seized in position or blown out inside thr tranny, but I guess it could also possibly be a weak master with internal blowby.

9. 03-26-2017 11:56 AM #9

Well I clamped the hose and the clutch pedal did indeed get firm, and then the plastic part that connects to the pedal broke so I guesss I'll be doing both the internal concentric slave and the master =(((((

10. 03-27-2017 06:39 AM #10
      oh dear, bit heavy with the foot there. joys of motoring eh. change them both, bleed it once, job done

11. 03-27-2017 09:25 PM #11
      yeah yeah, oem parts are actually pretty cheap on the bay anyway. project for the weekend then =)

Vehicles
      03-28-2017 10:28 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by madmanmarz View Post
      yeah yeah, oem parts are actually pretty cheap on the bay anyway. project for the weekend then =)
      At least once you do it you wont have to worry for a good while

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

13. Yesterday 10:44 PM #13
      So I finally took it all apart and upon pressing on the slave it worked fine. Took off the pressure plate/clutch and the clutch was shattered =( Hopefully it's not a DMF problem.

Does anyone know if the newer style clutch (2009 forward) will fit, especially if replacing the entire clutch/plate/flywheel assembly?

For advertising information click HERE