Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Chronicles of SneakySnakes | Vol III

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      06-01-2017 01:13 PM #251
      I have to say, seeing all this work done makes me a bit relieved that I don't have a car like this. I already feel a little guilty about rarely washing my STI, I'd feel like criminal if I had a car like yours car and treated it the same way.

06-01-2017 01:30 PM #252
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post

3. Member
      06-01-2017 02:14 PM #253
      Absolutely stunning man.
      '14 F-150 FX4
      '11 GTI

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mazda Miata, '13 Viper GTS
      06-01-2017 02:16 PM #254
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      I have to say, seeing all this work done makes me a bit relieved that I don't have a car like this. I already feel a little guilty about rarely washing my STI, I'd feel like criminal if I had a car like yours car and treated it the same way.
      All of this work up front is all to make washing a breeze after tracking, etc. My last coupe that was coated would get foamed and rinsed and looked new for 3 years. I mitt washed the car only after heavy track days or drives to other cities. It makes it so easy to take care of the car.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      06-01-2017 02:30 PM #255
      All of this work up front is all to make washing a breeze after tracking, etc. My last coupe that was coated would get foamed and rinsed and looked new for 3 years. I mitt washed the car only after heavy track days or drives to other cities. It makes it so easy to take care of the car.
      Oh yea, I get it. It's just a lot easier to justify the expense on a car like yours where the cost is a drop in the ocean of the actual value of the car. Having only part of this work on my car would be like 10-15% of the (new) value.

I think it's fair to say that all of this money up front absolutely helps with maintaining the value of a car like this as well. You will get that few $1000 more if/when you go to sell it then the next guy that didn't do all of this. I don't think I can necessarily say the same thing about my STI.

And still, I can't say doing all of this would change my current washing (or lack thereof) behavior- at least until we move into house where I don't share a driveway with someone else.

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      06-01-2017 06:32 PM #256
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Vehicles
      06-02-2017 10:23 AM #257
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Niceguy View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      2 of my favorites

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler, 2011 Grand Cherokee
      06-02-2017 11:56 AM #258
      With everything else on the wheels being black, do you have plans for black lug nuts?

I can see it both ways. I have black wheels on my Jeep, and both ways can look good depending on my mood.
      Current:
      2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 1994 Chevrolet Lumina, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      06-02-2017 12:01 PM #259

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Vehicles
      B6 A4 Avant
      06-02-2017 12:39 PM #260
      Not trying to bust chops or anything, but that seems like quite a lot of weight to balance the wheel and tire, no?

Vehicles
      06-02-2017 03:13 PM #261
      Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
      Not trying to bust chops or anything, but that seems like quite a lot of weight to balance the wheel and tire, no?
      3oz to balance a 320oz assembly? Its less than 1% of the rotating mass.

Vehicles
      B6 A4 Avant
      06-02-2017 03:50 PM #262
      3oz to balance a 320oz assembly? Its less than 1% of the rotating mass.
      That's true. Just seems like most wheels balance with less weight than that.

Vehicles
      1992 Corrado SLC, 2004 330i ZHP, 1999 Monster 750
      06-02-2017 05:09 PM #263
      Quote Originally Posted by fR3ZNO View Post
      That's true. Just seems like most wheels balance with less weight than that.
      Most wheel and tire combinations are not nearly so enormous.

14. Member
      06-02-2017 05:16 PM #264
      Quote Originally Posted by EnIgMa '06 View Post
      '14 F-150 FX4
      '11 GTI

Vehicles
      B6 A4 Avant
      06-02-2017 05:20 PM #265
      Quote Originally Posted by EnIgMa '06 View Post
      Wait. You mean the viper wheels are wider than Prius wheels?!?

Vehicles
      06-12-2017 11:05 AM #266
      Been enjoying the CRAP out of this car since its return to the lair 2 weeks ago. I have pretty much spent the entirety of every weekend in it .

Also got a chance to throw on some more goodies, it never ends. Received the custom plaque from DSE that was stamped out of aluminum, powdered, and laser engraved. It will replace the oem "GTS" badge on the dash. I always wanted a custom plaque like the newer ACRs, now I have one.

Then we shed some weight with a li-ion battery kit from Doug Shelby Engineering. With this add-on the car's weight should be ~3275lbs.

Details on the battery from DSE;

This is an 8 lb lithium ion battery, charger, and bracket kit which is a completely bolt-in kit for the Gen V Viper. This kit saves about 25 lbs from my OEM 56029646AA battery, which weighs in at 32.7 lbs.

There are a lot of batteries on the market. Why this one? This is a built-to-order battery that is reasonably priced, safe, and built to last. Instead of just welded tabs, the cells are secured by nuts with copper bus bar and insulating layers between. There are several other internal features that make these mechanically robust.
      • Designed for Starting Vehicles = Longer Life
      • Wide Operating Temperature Range
      • Robust Internal Construction
      • Vibration and Shock Resistant

In addition, these are very electrically safe. I’ve not seen any other Lithium battery on the market with the all protection in these have. Many times there is very little or no internal protection. The protection is both at an individual cell level but also an overall battery level. Safety Protection Internal To Battery:
      • Cells Individually Protected
      • Over Charging
      • Over Discharge
      • Short Circuit
      • Penetration
      • Thermal Shock
      • Protection from fires
      • Protection from explosions

Charger: I have included a charger with the kit with an algorithm specifically designed for this battery. A compatible charger is very important for battery safety and long life. For convenience the battery has a push-button voltage display on top. An aluminum bracket compatible with the OEM holes completes the kit. I do recommend to taking the extra step to keep this battery on the included charger when the car is sitting in storage for a long period as a precaution against parasitic current draw. (DSE offers a nice connector-mount kit to make that convenient, too.) While it would be protected from a complete drain it isn't ideal or convenient to have a low battery when you go to start your Viper.

Who is this battery kit for? Almost any Gen V Viper owner that wants to save significant weight (Other gens or vehicles OK too just no bracket kit for those as of yet, contact me directly).

Who is this battery not for? People with huge stereo systems or devices that cause abnormally high amounts of electrical draw, people who want to sit in the car and listen to the radio for long periods of time without the engine running. People who drive in freezing temps a lot (all Lithium Ion batteries of this type do not charge well under freezing temperatures or discharge well under -20C, while not common on a Viper the reduced battery capacity at these temperatures should be taken into consideration.)

What does DSE know about lithium ion batteries? I have been the provider of lithium ion battery pit and garage support equipment for IndyCar since 2012 (amongst other products and projects.)

Is it safe? The chemistry in these and other automotive type lithium ion batteries are lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo 4) which is inherently safer than the chemistries used in such products as Samsung cell phones and 787 Dreamliners. There are always risks but all of the items listed above greatly reduce them. What makes a LiOn battery unsafe? Poor design, poor/cheap manufacturing, mismatched application, incorrect charger, no protection circuitry.... There are lighter batteries on the market but the ruggedness of this one and a bit more capacity I feel is a good compromise for the application.

I received the battery kit over a month ago, and it spent the beginning part of its life on the charger, waiting for the sneaky one's return.

When I got the car back, I swapped the oem battery out (which was heavy as all hell), and dropped the DSE unit in. The battery is extremely light, yet feels very solid, and the included brackets make the install a breeze.

It's nice to be able to check the battery level with a press of a button;

After using the battery for 2 weeks the best compliment I can give it is that I don't know its there. Car fires up as quickly as it did on the oem battery, and with the weight savings, I don't have to feel guilty about eating entire dominos deep dish pizzas during my house of cards binge sessions.

Vehicles
      06-12-2017 11:11 AM #267
      Also had an opportunity to wash the car for the first time. 2 weeks worth of road grime, brake dust, water spots, etc, all gone in a 10 minute "wash". High pressure rinse, foam canon, rinse again, and air dry. Never even touched the car. I love ceramic coatings.

Video below of washing;

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLOePql...y=sneakysnakes

Results of wash;
      https://www.instagram.com/p/BVLcXBIl...y=sneakysnakes

Vehicles
      1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata
      06-12-2017 11:16 AM #268
      Damn that coating is super impressive. The water beads and dries off insanely well

Also, all I can think of when I see the plates is "SINKY SINK"
      ♪ Let's just drive, I wanna see what the wind does to your hair ♪

Vehicles
      06-12-2017 12:55 PM #269
      Quote Originally Posted by DubNMiatafan View Post
      Damn that coating is super impressive. The water beads and dries off insanely well
      It makes life very easy.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      06-12-2017 05:39 PM #270
      Also had an opportunity to wash the car for the first time. . High pressure rinse, foam canon, rinse again, and air dry.
      If you don't mind me asking, how powerful is the pressure washer you are using on the car? I'd like to buy one of these for around the house, but if I can also use it to help wash the car, it would be a bonus.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      Tricked out DeLorean. Fake M M235ix
      06-13-2017 01:05 AM #271
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      If you don't mind me asking, how powerful is the pressure washer you are using on the car? I'd like to buy one of these for around the house, but if I can also use it to help wash the car, it would be a bonus.
      I just bought this one. Cheapest Home Depot has. While i'm sure its not the best quality, it does the trick of washing my car just fine so far. You can safely go a little higher pressure too from what I've read.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-1-6...1600/205566079

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Tricked out DeLorean. Fake M M235ix
      06-13-2017 01:13 AM #272
      The car looks incredible.

One thing that I always think about with these crazy details is rattles. Doesn't pulling so many little pieces apart for cleaning increase the chance of annoying rattles down the road?

06-13-2017 03:20 AM #273
      Your detailer must want to kill you for backseat driving his whole job

Vehicles
      2.9L 24v twin turbo VR6 on a stand, 2002 S6 Avant with a Tial 770R 2.7T swap and O1E manual swap
      06-13-2017 08:07 AM #274
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Did you read the thread? It helps if you read the thread... OP's detailer is a very good friend and the OP helped out where he could during the detailing.
      Driversport Will Never Die|| Dub Cult PM me for all your Fragola Fittings and Billy Boat Exhaust Needs!!!

The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #4

My Dead Build Thread

Vehicles
      mk5/ap1
      06-13-2017 09:06 AM #275
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      Orrrr his detailer just got some awesome images to help promote his business?

I am intrigued by the ceramic coating, and want to do it to my S2000; I feel like it might be too expensive, but the idea of basic washes might make it worth it.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast