Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chronicles of SneakySnakes | Vol III

Vehicles
      '13 BMW 750i, '16 Mazda Miata, '13 Viper GTS
      04-06-2017 11:04 AM #101
      Got some more goodies for the blue snake. Going to take the day off tomorrow, do an oil change and slap on the final bolt-ons.

RSI Smooth tubes
      Custom spacers [.450" front, .375" rear]
      Viper Exchange Lowering Caps
      DSE Catch can
      DSE Heat shield

Started off with wrapping the DSE heat shield with Dynaliner. Since I'm not too good with this arts-and-crafts stuff I recruited someone with greater patience and aptitude. Look at that determination.

Got a great deal on some lowering caps off of a friend's TA, but they were looking quite tired. Half an hour's worth of wrist-destroying polishing with steel wool, and they got their groove back.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-06-2017 11:30 AM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
      Took the sneaky one to a local truck stop to get her weighed in over my lunch break. I was anxious to see whether this "heaviest Viper" available was going to be a porker on the scales. I was very pleasantly surprised. Being a loaded to the gills GTS (full leather, additional sound deadning, 18 speaker audio and power seats), she still managed to weigh in exactly where the old car (gen 4) was after all the mods. 3300lbs. Amazing. The copious use of carbon fiber for the hood, roof, trunk, etc really paid off. Also the track pack lightweight brakes/wheels/tires, and the aftermarket full exhaust is probably where my weight savings come from. Regular non track pack GTS is probably 3380-3400lbs.

Will almost any weigh station let you do this? I've been wanting to do this with my Corrado, but have always thought I would get kicked out.
      Project Corrado RS: Keep Up

Vehicles
      2014 Wrangler, 2011 Grand Cherokee
      04-06-2017 11:31 AM #103
      What's the benefit of the Dynaliner? Just more insulation?
      Current:
      2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition, 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
      Past:
      1990 Mazda Miata, 1998 Land Rover Discovery, 1994 Chevrolet Lumina, 2002 Chevrolet Blazer ZR2, 2013 VW GLI, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport.

Vehicles
      04-06-2017 11:40 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      What's the benefit of the Dynaliner? Just more insulation?
      The shield itself is ceramic coated externally to try to reject/slow-down the rate of heat transfer into it. Regardless, given enough time it will itself become thermally soaked and start to radiate. The liner is just thermal insulation to try to reduce the shield radiating into the airbox above.

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      04-06-2017 11:46 AM #105
      The shield itself is ceramic coated externally to try to reject/slow-down the rate of heat transfer into it. Regardless, given enough time it will itself become thermally soaked and start to radiate. The liner is just thermal insulation to try to reduce the shield radiating into the airbox above.
      If I understand the reason for the liner I would have used foil lined foam or something like that. It reflects the radiant heat for the most part. Hadn't really thought of using it for an automotive application till now haha.

Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

Vehicles
      04-06-2017 01:05 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      If I understand the reason for the liner I would have used foil lined foam or something like that. It reflects the radiant heat for the most part. Hadn't really thought of using it for an automotive application till now haha.

Its not so cut n dry. The dynaliner was used for a few reasons;

• Its an automotive application liner (oil & chemical resistant)
      • Closed cell (no water absorption)
      • Highest heat blocking properties of single layer synthetic foam
      • Tight fitment tolerances around airbox (hence the 1/8" thickness)

Vehicles
      04-06-2017 01:07 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by Krazee View Post
      Will almost any weigh station let you do this? I've been wanting to do this with my Corrado, but have always thought I would get kicked out.
      Yes you can if you want to risk a fist fight with some angry truckers

The guy got out of his truck screaming at me for taking 30 seconds to take a picture, and not really being aware what the process is to get the car weighed (ie. leave it there, roll on/off, how long to sit, etc). I kind of understand his position as he's "on the clock" and I'm just fckn around, but he was a real tw*t. Long story short it was $10 well spent.

Vehicles
      04-06-2017 04:00 PM #108
      Oh and one more little nugget, a Calvo Motorsports fuse-box heat shield. The factory manifolds have a heat shield on them but the Belanger longtubes don't. Given their proximity to one another, people have melted the fuse box panel, hence the need for shielding. Plus, being Russian, any excuse to add gold anywhere is a welcome one.

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-06-2017 05:57 PM #109
      Oh and one more little nugget, a Calvo Motorsports fuse-box heat shield. The factory manifolds have a heat shield on them but the Belanger longtubes don't. Given their proximity to one another, people have melted the fuse box panel, hence the need for shielding. Plus, being Russian, any excuse to add gold anywhere is a welcome one.
      The shiny/gold side gets mounted facing the heat generator, right? In an effort to reflect it?

Vehicles
      '06 C55 AMG, '11 LS460 AWD luxo-barge & not quite enough motorcycles
      04-06-2017 07:13 PM #110
      Plus, being Russian, any excuse to add gold anywhere is a welcome one.

Buys nice cars, proceeds to mod them to taste immediately and is self-depricating. Damnit man, you're​ making it hard to hate you due to jealousy.
      Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Vehicles
      1962 Lincoln Continental
      04-07-2017 12:59 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex View Post
      Buys nice cars, proceeds to mod them to taste immediately and is self-depricating. Damnit man, you're​ making it hard to hate you due to jealousy.
      Yeah, I keep flipping back. I want to hate him so much, but he keeps doing great stuff to his cars. Treats people here with respect. Seems to have fun with his $ without being too gaudy. It's damn near impossible to hate him.

I showed my wife that pic I quoted above and she thinks it might be the best looking picture of a car she's ever seen. (she's a former demo car racer, and off-roader so she's got a little cred)
      Quote Originally Posted by uncleho
      Before you take the tact of denigrating a group, you should empathize with the situation/history and understand the facts. It might not make for great debate on forums, but it helps with personal awareness.
      Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie
      Empathy isn't hard. You don't have to feel what other people feel to be understanding or trust that not everyone has the same perspective.

Vehicles
      04-08-2017 12:37 AM #112
      Took the day off today to work on the car. Literally nothing better than a day of good weather and motoring in my book. Woke up 2hrs earlier than I usually get up, with no alarm, go figure. Most days you cant pry me out of bed with a crowbar.

The heavens smile upon thee. No its not my house, yes its beautiful. Lets move on.

Waiting for her to cool off, and unpacking the goodies;

Tried to avoid hitting this nice Volkswagen while getting on the lift;

Started with the DSE heat shield and the RSI smooth tubes. Airbox removed;

Removing the crinkly oem units. Some say the smooth tubes are worth a few hp and improved throttle response, I just think they look better

Heat shield in, fits like a glove. Also added one more layer of Dynaliner on the bottom for ****'s n gigs since we had material left over. PS. front end engine bay access with the clam-shell hood would makes my back hate life.

All buttoned up;

Did the Calvo Motorsport fusebox heat shield next. Fit well and looks great.

I like how the gold hue reflects off the longtube primaries

Tackled the oil change next. 11 qts worth of mother earth's finest.

World's longest oil pan;

While the oil drained we took a second to remove the oem air deflector spats in front of the front wheels. These are not equipped on cars with TA 1.0 aero splitters and since my car is a 2013 and TA aero didn't exist until the following year, my spats are still there. Whats interesting was apparently some cars with TA 1.0 aero spec'd from the factory had both the splitters and spats by accident. Slipped through the assembly line somehow. Long story short the only purpose they serve now is letting me know when I've reached my speed bump height limit, so off they go.

I tried to snap a pic of the carbon diffuser for you guys but it came out like crap. Super reflective.

DSE catch can was up next. Went with sealed unit this go around so I don't contaminate the oil with moisture over time. As straightforward as the install is, it was a pain in the ass. Started off by managing to wrestle the stock valve cover trim off without having to remove the X brace, score.

And this is why I said this was a pain in the ass. Removing the stock elbow off the oem pcv valve wasn't too bad (even though its teethed to inhibit hose removal). Carefully working around with a flat head while pulling did it. Getting the supplied inlet hose over the stock pcv valve nipple though, made me want to kill myself. Ended up trying to boil the end of the hose in an effort to get some expansion out of it.

Didn't work. Ended up dremeling the ID to open it up to a point that we could get the stubborn bastard over the valve. It sucks. Access in that area doesn't seem too bad but there is no way to get your hands in a position to get leverage on the hose. We wrestled forever with it.

Finally got it buttoned up. I will say all bs aside, I love Doug's products. Everything is just so well engineered and of oem appearance. Most people don't even notice anything is aftermarket when the hood is popped. OEM+

Because Racecar.

Next we drove down to the local discount to get all 4 wheels re-balanced. I had no vibrations that I could feel but I always check my cars to make sure everything is 0.00. I'm glad I did, every single wheel was out by 0.75 to 1.25 oz. Just because you can't feel it, doesn't mean the wheel bearings and bushings don't. Get it checked. While the assemblies were off I installed the custom Motorsport Technologies spacers I had machined. Everything is hub-centric as it should be.

Look at this tiny tire;

Mocking up the spacers. 0.450" up front, 0.375" rear. Everything was cleaned and hub surface and wheel pad were hit with a wire wheel to ensure proper seating.

Oem nuts vs ET nuts. Buying back some of that lost thread engagement.

Spacers installed.

She's dirty as hell but looks great on the new spacer setup. Its subtle but really makes the difference for me. Especially the fronts, the factory offsets are super mild up front on the gen 5s. I know its functional (for aero), but it just looks weak from the factory.

Also gave the beast a long overdue bath, but the sun came down so no clean pics till later

Vehicles
      Present: '17 STi 6MT, Past: '10 Passat 6MT, '07 Civic 5MT
      04-08-2017 02:29 AM #113
      Car's looking great and love the mods!

With your previous cars, the spacers made quite a difference visually. Maybe the photos aren't showing it clearly but I'm not seeing anything with the spacers on this car.

Vehicles
      04-08-2017 05:13 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by CobraKing View Post
      Car's looking great and love the mods!

With your previous cars, the spacers made quite a difference visually. Maybe the photos aren't showing it clearly but I'm not seeing anything with the spacers on this car.
      Don't know what to say, its clear as day to me? It's not a very aggressive setup this time around so maybe to others its not as striking. Didn't want to go wider than a .450" with a slip-on as I can only buy so much thread engagement back with ET nuts and I didn't want the additional rotating mass from bolt-on variants.

I think it looks great. When I get the lowering caps on it should be pure

15. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, Covered Wagon, Family Truckster
      04-08-2017 06:12 PM #115
      I didn't want the additional rotating mass from bolt-on variants.
      Yeah, you don't really have an abundance of torque so that's a smart decision

Vehicles
      04-10-2017 10:04 AM #116
      Quote Originally Posted by zmt2 View Post
      Yeah, you don't really have an abundance of torque so that's a smart decision
      Every little bit helps

Vehicles
      '93 Corrado, '13 Volt CSV
      04-10-2017 12:05 PM #117
      The spacers made a huge difference on the front from what it looks like. I'm curious, can you tell if adding the spacers makes any sort of handling improvement? Also, I know with that much power you won't notice it much but did you feel a difference on the butt dyno with the straight intakes?

Last thing, how close is the upper rad hose from rubbing on the new heat shield? Looks close on the pics.

Love the car.
      Quote Originally Posted by ktk View Post
      Car enthusiast: One who harbors an inexplicable fascination with a relatively mundane mechanical device that goes beyond appreciation of its intended purpose and basic functionality, in some cases bordering on obsession.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, Covered Wagon, Family Truckster
      04-10-2017 12:25 PM #118
      Every little bit helps
      I'm just giving you crap because I'm running bolt-ons with my car that makes maaaybe 1/3 the torque your car does. Ain't no one got time for pressing in new studs tho.

edit: The spacers do make a difference. Wheel fitment is one of those anal car-guy things that I care more and more about as I get older for some reason. your V wasn't bad before, but it looks more "right" now. My fancy accord looks ridiculous with the stock offsets, as most japanese cars seem to do.
      Last edited by zmt2; 04-10-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-10-2017 01:38 PM #119
      Regarding the catch can I have a polling question of sorts as I'm attempting to understand the how/why as I imagine the answers to those questions are dependent on the application.

The sentiment I've seen relating to naturally aspirated LS series engines is that yes, it will undoubtedly "catch" things, but the things you're catching aren't really doing anything to harm the engine or its performance. Basically you're just spending time & money to have another container to empty during oil changes, as well as an additional point of failure if you don't keep up on it (not that this applicable for you or me, but I think is still is worth mentioning.)*

I know the viper is leaps and bounds ahead of the LS in the realm of performance, but being it is still NA when all is said and done, is the catch can really necessary with proven benefits or is it just the "it's catching stuff, so it must be doing something" mentality that I have largely seen with the LS crowd?*

*Caveat being, these assumptions aren't considering track focused driving and/or FI applications. In those cases the catch can has proven data that warrants its use. I'm speaking with respect to daily driven or for pleasure cruiser NA vehicles that only moonlight as a racekor.
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Vehicles
      04-10-2017 04:41 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by palakaman View Post
      The spacers made a huge difference on the front from what it looks like. I'm curious, can you tell if adding the spacers makes any sort of handling improvement? Also, I know with that much power you won't notice it much but did you feel a difference on the butt dyno with the straight intakes?

Last thing, how close is the upper rad hose from rubbing on the new heat shield? Looks close on the pics.

Love the car.
      Its just the angle in the pic maybe? Its a solid inch at least.

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Regarding the catch can I have a polling question of sorts as I'm attempting to understand the how/why as I imagine the answers to those questions are dependent on the application.

The sentiment I've seen relating to naturally aspirated LS series engines is that yes, it will undoubtedly "catch" things, but the things you're catching aren't really doing anything to harm the engine or its performance. Basically you're just spending time & money to have another container to empty during oil changes, as well as an additional point of failure if you don't keep up on it (not that this applicable for you or me, but I think is still is worth mentioning.)*

I know the viper is leaps and bounds ahead of the LS in the realm of performance, but being it is still NA when all is said and done, is the catch can really necessary with proven benefits or is it just the "it's catching stuff, so it must be doing something" mentality that I have largely seen with the LS crowd?*

*Caveat being, these assumptions aren't considering track focused driving and/or FI applications. In those cases the catch can has proven data that warrants its use. I'm speaking with respect to daily driven or for pleasure cruiser NA vehicles that only moonlight as a racekor.
      If you drive your car down the boulevard and back, you can stop reading here. The catch can is absolutely necessary in performance applications.

All cars have blow-by around the rings, all cars will have oil vapors under pressure in the crankcase, and all cars have PCV systems to relieve said pressure (usually through a check-valve back into the intake manifold). No oem's will allow you to vent said unsavory gasses into the atmosphere nor rely on people to actually drain and dispose of this condensed oil/water mixture after its collected in a "catch-can". Thus, all this oil gets fed right back into your combustion chamber to be burned off. The problem with this is that in forced induction applications or NA engines that have good amounts of blow-by, you're going to get a serious amount of oil into the intake tract. Why is this bad? Oil has a lower octane value than fuel (ie. it is more readily combustible), thus, big amounts in the AF mixture will spoil the overall resistance to pre-ignition (knock). The vipers have a very sensitive knock control system to keep things overly conservative under consistent high rpm track abuse. Last thing I want is to have my ignition timing getting backed out because my AF mixture has tons of oil in it and I'm getting detonation. There are other reasons as well, but for me, it is to keep power delivery consistent.

Vehicles
      04-10-2017 11:40 PM #121
      Viper Nationals, a small event of an even smaller community started off a year back. 90%+ of Viper owners track their cars on the road course, yet very few are into drag racing. Thought you guys would would like to see some of the highlights from this past Sunday. I tried to splice together the footage I had best I could. Nth, VE, Calvo, Prospeed, and Dynosaur are all in the mix. Enjoy

Winner's Circle
      Naturally Aspirated Gen 5
      1st Viper Andy Wheeler 9.71@139 (set world record)
      2nd Viper Elie Bejjani 10.06@141
      5th Gen Unlimited
      1st Viper Jake Thomas 8.25@180 (set world record)
      2nd Viper Evan Davis and Drag965 9.35@157
      Unlimited
      1st Firebird Jason Grace 7.90@170
      2nd Viper Ross Baird 7.82@183

Vehicles
      04-11-2017 04:09 PM #122
      Threw in some Phillips LED reverse bulbs over the weekend. The only bulbs on the car that weren't LED from the factory--now its been rectified. Sorry for the crappy pics, I blame the gf

Vehicles
      04-11-2017 04:32 PM #123
      A few snaps from Viper Nationals this past weekend;

Vehicles
      Personal: 2017 SS, 1997 LS1/T56 V90 Work: 2017 Camry XLE
      04-11-2017 08:42 PM #124
      If you drive your car down the boulevard and back, you can stop reading here. The catch can is absolutely necessary in performance applications.

All cars have blow-by around the rings, all cars will have oil vapors under pressure in the crankcase, and all cars have PCV systems to relieve said pressure (usually through a check-valve back into the intake manifold). No oem's will allow you to vent said unsavory gasses into the atmosphere nor rely on people to actually drain and dispose of this condensed oil/water mixture after its collected in a "catch-can". Thus, all this oil gets fed right back into your combustion chamber to be burned off. The problem with this is that in forced induction applications or NA engines that have good amounts of blow-by, you're going to get a serious amount of oil into the intake tract. Why is this bad? Oil has a lower octane value than fuel (ie. it is more readily combustible), thus, big amounts in the AF mixture will spoil the overall resistance to pre-ignition (knock). The vipers have a very sensitive knock control system to keep things overly conservative under consistent high rpm track abuse. Last thing I want is to have my ignition timing getting backed out because my AF mixture has tons of oil in it and I'm getting detonation. There are other reasons as well, but for me, it is to keep power delivery consistent.
      Appreciate the detailed response! Unfortunately I still haven't come to a conclusion for my particular application, though I think I'm running out of places to look. In any event I found a paper on the subject which was fairly detailed and seemed pretty well thought out, albeit biased towards CC usage. Link below for reference.

https://www.shophemi.com/images/medi..._ccv_bible.pdf
      LS1 Volvo Thread

Previously owned - MkV R32 #3917, 2008 Silverado 1500 VHO 4x4

Blog Entries
      Vehicles
      Corrado
      04-12-2017 04:08 PM #125
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Appreciate the detailed response! Unfortunately I still haven't come to a conclusion for my particular application, though I think I'm running out of places to look. In any event I found a paper on the subject which was fairly detailed and seemed pretty well thought out, albeit biased towards CC usage. Link below for reference.

https://www.shophemi.com/images/medi..._ccv_bible.pdf
      After reading that, he does point out scenarios in which is it definitely beneficial. His main point is if your engine has been modified to achieve 15% more torque than stock, since the factory CCV system is designed around factory power numbers, and I am assuming the factory tuning has accounted for expected blow-by under hard acceleration. Now with more torque than stock, which apparently increases blow-by, its time to catch that oil before it gets fed back into the system. More blow-by means more oil consumption overall, and as slowhatch mentions, more oil in the intake tract, reducing performance.

That article means I am definitely re-installing the catch can in my Corrado. I took on the intake elbow this weekend and say a fair amount of oil, but I also notice that when I drive enthusiastically, the PCV can't handle the increased blow-by, and oil seeps through, dripping onto the headers.

In other words, if you haven't increased torque by more than 15%, no need for a catch can.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast