Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: '17 7R compared to mk5 R32

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R and 2009 VW CC Sport
      03-20-2017 12:52 AM #1
      So for those of you who have driven/owned both a mk5 R32 and a mk7 R, this is a question for you...

I once owned a mk5 R32, and about to buy a new mk7 R... try to describe how different they feel/handle. I understand the mk7 is quite a bit "quicker", but what is the handling like? What should I expect when I drive it/push it?
      I won't drive one til I can walk in the dealer and buy it in a few weeks. I was offered a test drive, but I turned it down.

Hopefully this question makes sense.
      '17 VW Golf R w/DSG - 20% Tint/DeAutoKey LED Tails/Satin Silver Mirror Caps/Satin Silver Bumper Plate/12" Rockford Fosgate Sub
      '09 VW CC Sport - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU Tune/K&N Drop-In Filter/30% Tint/DeAutoKey 6k HIDs, LED Tails, LED Rear Turns/18" TSW Jaramas/Blaupunkt 845/Dual Polk MoMo 12's
      '08 VW R32 w/Nav #1239 - 30% Tint/K&N Drop-in Filter - No Longer Have

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VII R
      03-20-2017 02:15 AM #2
      Plenty of dealers won't even let you test drive them. Go back and drive it, make sure it's what you want. It's quite a bit quicker than the mk5, overall it feels a lot more refined I guess.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      03-20-2017 07:21 AM #3
      While not an R32, my previous car was a MKV GTI.

The MK7 platform compared to the MKV feels light years ahead. Feels more refined, chassis and suspension feels even more solid/more sophisticated ... the harder you push the car, the better it feels.

The only thing I can think that the older R32 has over the R is that sweet sounding exhaust note. Other than that, it's really not a fair comparison.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R with DAP
      03-20-2017 07:38 AM #4
      I owned a MkV R32 and traded it off due to disappointment with it minute, if any performance upgrade over the MkIV R32 that I was able to drive as a used car to help seal the deal.

The replacement car was a 2011 BMW 135i.

My current daily is a 2016 Golf R w/DAP and DSG... the difference between the two cars is shocking...

Power delivery is sharper and more thrust is provided over the powerband than I remember with the R32. Handling is also greatly improved over my 2008 car. Dynamically, all of the performance measures that are realistically usable on the track are better in the MK 7.

DAP is a lifesaver with the sensor up front to adjust cruse control speed to keep up with the flow of traffic. I commute in Seattle... that feature helps me improve my quality of life. IMO the car "feels" more Audi than VW, and my frame of reference was the 2007 S4 with tiptronic I traded in on the Golf R.

The R32s only point of win over the Golf R was the exhaust note... that thing sounded like sex on wheels with a cat back exhaust on it!

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      03-20-2017 07:47 AM #5
      Pathfinder nailed it, the only thing you'll miss is the grrrrrrrrr.

Vehicles
      urquattro,Golf R,4000q,EvoIX
      03-20-2017 10:16 AM #6
      The R32 is nose heavy while the MK7 drives/rotates much easier.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 Passat gone 2008 R32 gone -2016 Golf R
      03-20-2017 10:31 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by autofi View Post
      The haldex is also much more responsive putting power to the rear wheels.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      03-20-2017 11:10 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by autofi View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
      The haldex is also much more responsive putting power to the rear wheels.
      I can attest to this. Did a ride along with an experience autocrosser in his '17 R this past weekend. I couldn't believe how well the car rotated around the cones. It was noticeable.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes

9. 03-20-2017 11:57 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      I can attest to this. Did a ride along with an experience autocrosser in his '17 R this past weekend. I couldn't believe how well the car rotated around the cones. It was noticeable.

Did your friend's R have DCC? Just wondering how much more of a difference does race mode in DCC make on an autocross track.

Vehicles
      NC MX5, MK7 R
      03-20-2017 12:34 PM #10
      I recently sold my MKV R32 and purchased a '17 R with DCC.

The R32 sounded much better.
      The R takes corners better, and feels much less nose heavy.
      The R's DSG feels more refined than the R32s
      The R32 had more pull in lower RPMs, while once you get past around 3k RPMs in the R, the turbo kicks in, and you are hauling ass.
      The R has better technology. Lane assist is sweet, radar cruise is pretty fancy, and the audio system in the R trumps the R32s.
      The R is much more low key than the R32. It's very under the radar. Then again, my R32 was TR Red, and the Golf R is white, so theres that to factor in as well.
      The doors on the R open to either a very narrow exit or very wide exit, there isnt a "stop" persay in the middle like the R32s doors.
      The R32 had less wind buffering than the R does.

All in all, I am not unhappy that I sold the R32 and bought the R. It's a nice upgrade from the R32, except it sounds like a fax machine, and not a race car.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      '97 Jetta VR6, '04 TR R32, '16 Oryx R
      03-20-2017 12:39 PM #11
      All '17s should now come with DCC/DAP standard. Only option choice is transmission.

Sound or BT VR6 are probably the only reasons people stay with a MKV R32 over the MKVII. Unless someone needs their sunroof
      Quote Originally Posted by PowerDubs View Post
      You can't see your engine bay while you drive, and popping your hood in a parking lot to show off parts is as stupid as listing them in your signature.. (not what the parts were intended for).

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      03-20-2017 02:32 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by supesgolfr View Post
      Did your friend's R have DCC? Just wondering how much more of a difference does race mode in DCC make on an autocross track.
      Yeah it was DCC. He had it in custom mode (not sure of his individual settings), and the DSG left in automatic sport mode.

The DSG auto sport mode has horrible shift mapping for street use, but is amazing for autox.

This car is so nimble. I was terrified as a passenger. That car made maneuvers that I never dreamed it was capable of.

Last edited by biglilsteve; 03-20-2017 at 02:34 PM.
      '17 Oryx R DSG | APR Stage 2 93 HT | APR TCU | APR DP | APR Intake | APR IC w/ boost pipes

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R and 2009 VW CC Sport
      03-20-2017 03:02 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by biglilsteve View Post
      This car is so nimble. I was terrified as a passenger. That car made maneuvers that I never dreamed it was capable of.
      That made me smile lol. That was like the best description ever.
      I'll miss that sound of the old VR6 though. I knew the new R wouldn't sound the same, but I can live with that.
      '17 VW Golf R w/DSG - 20% Tint/DeAutoKey LED Tails/Satin Silver Mirror Caps/Satin Silver Bumper Plate/12" Rockford Fosgate Sub
      '09 VW CC Sport - Unitronic Stage 1+ ECU Tune/K&N Drop-In Filter/30% Tint/DeAutoKey 6k HIDs, LED Tails, LED Rear Turns/18" TSW Jaramas/Blaupunkt 845/Dual Polk MoMo 12's
      '08 VW R32 w/Nav #1239 - 30% Tint/K&N Drop-in Filter - No Longer Have

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Golf R
      03-20-2017 03:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by R32Raines View Post
      I'll miss that sound of the old VR6 though. I knew the new R wouldn't sound the same, but I can live with that.
      Absolutely! The R also had the 2nd fastest time of the morning (30ish cars). Only behind an insane turbo Miata.

I'll definitely agree the noise this engine makes leaves much to be desired lol.

15. 03-21-2017 12:22 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by R32Raines View Post
      I heard the sound is much better though with one of the various Stage 2 downpipes installed? Can anyone with a downpipe mod comment on the sound improvement?

Vehicles
      gorf
      03-21-2017 12:33 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonR32 View Post
      I recently sold my MKV R32 and purchased a '17 R with DCC.

The R32 sounded much better.
      The R takes corners better, and feels much less nose heavy.
      The R's DSG feels more refined than the R32s
      The R32 had more pull in lower RPMs, while once you get past around 3k RPMs in the R, the turbo kicks in, and you are hauling ass.
      The R has better technology. Lane assist is sweet, radar cruise is pretty fancy, and the audio system in the R trumps the R32s.
      The R is much more low key than the R32. It's very under the radar. Then again, my R32 was TR Red, and the Golf R is white, so theres that to factor in as well.
      The doors on the R open to either a very narrow exit or very wide exit, there isnt a "stop" persay in the middle like the R32s doors.
      The R32 had less wind buffering than the R does.

All in all, I am not unhappy that I sold the R32 and bought the R. It's a nice upgrade from the R32, except it sounds like a fax machine, and not a race car.
      exactamundo.
      I miss the MKVR32 a lil still. but the GORF has not let me down yet , and it sure is a blast to drive.

17. Member
      03-21-2017 12:44 PM #17
      MK5 R32 isnt even comparable to a MK7R

That car feels so slow and dated by todays standards in every department - chassis, engine, trans, interior etc - it's like comparing a 1999 M3 to a brand new M3

Only thing missing is the vr6 noise

For advertising information click HERE