VWVortex.com - APR stage 1 updates
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 10 of 10

    Thread: APR stage 1 updates

    1. 03-20-2017 07:01 AM #1
      Back in 2015 had an APR tune but I was getting epc fault codes. Tried low and high output tune and had same issue. I'm not sure if the performance pack ecu is any different than the standard gti ecu and if that could of caused the issues.

      Also had times were the car would lose power around 2800 rpm. The car did run fine for a couple weeks when I first got the tune but then later I was having issues with the tune.

      Went back to stock and the car has been running flawlessly.

      Has there been any updates or revisions to the APR tune?

      I'm aware I'll need to upgrade the clutch at some point.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by v-1; 03-20-2017 at 07:04 AM.

    2. Member RjRacing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 13th, 2008
      Location
      Philly
      Posts
      1,748
      Vehicles
      15' GTI PP (Daily), 05' Evo 8 (Track), 05' Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 (Tow&Plow)
      03-20-2017 09:49 AM #2
      They are on v1.3 or 1.4 now, so a few updates since then. My PP GTI has been APR tuned since Feb 2015 and never once have I had a drivability issue.

      Most people see overboost EPCs and such on a tune as major issues... but in reality, that happens when a tuner leaves very tight tolerances so that the safety features are still there to monitor everything. There are a few VW tuners that will give a huge margin of error and even lower knock sensitivity because the tune isn't very well dialed in and developed, but tuners like Unitronics, APR and Giac all refuse to do so. Overboost code = safe, 27-29PSI without one means your tuner doesn't give a crap about your engine/turbo lol. At about 29psi, your MAP sensor no longer knows how much boost your turbo is no longer making because its outside of its range... meaning if it thinks it see's 29.3PSI, it could it could actually be at 30psi+ and at that point you can wave bye bye to your turbo/engine as it no longer has control of things
      15' GTI PP/LP/DSG: 12.2@121.8MPH on PSS - IS38 MPH & FWD MK7 Street Tire Record APR | AWE | Bilstein | Enkei | EuroCode | Forge | JB4 | Neuspeed | StopTech - My Build Thread
      -05' Evo 8.5: Fully Built 2.4LR motor w/ HTA3586R TS- 700+WHP Time Attack Car
      Follow me on my new Instagram account @ RjRacing05

    3. 03-20-2017 10:43 AM #3
      You are the man! Thanks! So what tune do you suggest I go with. I'm not going stage 2 at any point. Just want a little more power and remove the 125 top speed.

      I have no interest in hooking up a laptop etc.

      Your advice is sincerely appreciated.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    4. 03-20-2017 11:18 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by v-1 View Post
      You are the man! Thanks! So what tune do you suggest I go with. I'm not going stage 2 at any point. Just want a little more power and remove the 125 top speed.

      I have no interest in hooking up a laptop etc.

      Your advice is sincerely appreciated.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You've already paid for APR - just get the update for a meager reflash charge.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    5. 03-20-2017 01:04 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by ExtremisMK7 View Post
      You've already paid for APR - just get the update for a meager reflash charge.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I was in the APR trial period.

      I was refunded my money and went back to stock as I mentioned in my original post.

      That was 2 years ago, that's why I created the post.

      I wanted to see if there were improvements to APR tune or if there is a more reliable tune from another vendor.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    6. 03-20-2017 09:26 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by v-1 View Post
      I was in the APR trial period.

      I was refunded my money and went back to stock as I mentioned in my original post.

      That was 2 years ago, that's why I created the post.

      I wanted to see if there were improvements to APR tune or if there is a more reliable tune from another vendor.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ok I still recommend APR


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    7. 03-21-2017 09:07 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ExtremisMK7 View Post
      Ok I still recommend APR


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Hahaha touché

      I'll give them a try again see how it goes


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    8. 03-21-2017 11:43 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by v-1 View Post
      Hahaha touché

      I'll give them a try again see how it goes


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      If you're not interested in stage 2 you could go the route I did, low torque stage 1. It's great and damn near stage 1 power but low enough torque that a MT can handle it. I've had it for nearly 10k miles and it's excellent. Removes the speed limiter (not that I should admit to testing this out) - saw you mentioned that. Throttle response is immediate and APR does their tune right.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ExtremisMK7; 03-21-2017 at 11:45 PM.

    9. 03-22-2017 12:22 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ExtremisMK7 View Post
      If you're not interested in stage 2 you could go the route I did, low torque stage 1. It's great and damn near stage 1 power but low enough torque that a MT can handle it. I've had it for nearly 10k miles and it's excellent. Removes the speed limiter (not that I should admit to testing this out) - saw you mentioned that. Throttle response is immediate and APR does their tune right.


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yeah; I had the low output tune and got the epc fail same as HO APR tune. But that was two years ago and they were still trying to figure out all the new ecu's

      But I'll try the tunes again now that they have been refined


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    10. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 21st, 2014
      Posts
      48
      Vehicles
      15 mk7, 04 lancer ralliart
      03-22-2017 12:49 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by RjRacing View Post
      They are on v1.3 or 1.4 now, so a few updates since then. My PP GTI has been APR tuned since Feb 2015 and never once have I had a drivability issue.
      Hmm i just emailed them about my version 1.2 and they said i am all up to date. is there something i am missing?

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •