The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Peek at the TDI Dumping Grounds in Normal, Illinois

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '09 335d
      03-20-2017 05:26 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      That's the irony. Scrap good cars to save the environment.
      Since when is VW crushing these things?

2. Member
      Vehicles
      F10 535 MSport, 993 C2
      03-20-2017 05:36 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      For some perspective this is what 15,000 Sandy victim cars look like in storage.
      That's fascinating!

Vehicles
      '15 GSW TDI '15 EVO GSR
      03-20-2017 05:48 PM #28
      I doubt those are Chicagoland cars, probably more central IL. VW also has a storage lot @ Balmoral Racing Club, in Crete, IL. Way closer to Chicago than Normal.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      03-20-2017 05:49 PM #29
      The place is really called Normal?
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-20-2017 05:50 PM #30
      The EPA has compromised with VW and allowed for a fix that brings these cars into "partial" compliance. So that means newer generation TDIs can be fixed and resold domestically or exported.

For older cars that cannot be fixed, they won't literally be dumped in a junk yard. There is significant value in used parts on the repair market and high value parts can taken off and resold as-is (e.g. body panels, interior parts, electronics like airbags, etc.). For the remaining parts, metallics can be re-melted and recycled. For polymer parts, most thermoplastics can be remelted and recycled. Thermoset plastics (not re-meltable) will likely be ground up and some can be recycled into filler in other products. Since VW is an EU company, likely all plastics above a certain weight threshold have an ISO symbol (e.g. >PP< for polypropylene) applied to them so the recycler can determine whether they're remeltable or not.
      =

6. Senior Member
      03-20-2017 06:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfCorrado View Post
      dumping grounds for the Dieselgate victims.
      We've interned most of them in the tread on this forum, no need to make a prison for them in Illinois.
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-20-2017 06:37 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      We also have a Peru, IL and Ottawa, IL. But I can garuntee you the former is nothing like the country in South America and the latter is nothing like the capital of Canada.

Apparently the name Normal came from Illinois State Normal University, which meant teacher-training back in the day.
      =

Vehicles
      1984 VW Rabbit 1.6D 1998 BMW R1200C 2007 Chevy Tahoe
      03-20-2017 06:38 PM #33
      Yup. It's not far from me. Home to Illinois State University.

Vehicles
      1984 VW Rabbit 1.6D 1998 BMW R1200C 2007 Chevy Tahoe
      03-20-2017 06:41 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by BUJonathan View Post
      We also have a Peru, IL and Ottawa, IL. But I can garuntee you the former is nothing like the country in South America and the latter is nothing like the capital of Canada.
      And a Cairo, Athens, Paris, Rome, Havana, and Venice.

Vehicles
      2012 Explorer, and an 02 Sube Outback
      03-20-2017 06:43 PM #35
      They'll all end up with machine guns mounted through the sunroof in some war-torn BFE country They'll become the new jihadi Hilux of choice.

Vehicles
      Never enough boost.
      03-20-2017 06:43 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Appliance View Post
      Such as waste and a lot worse environmentally than the little bit of extra emissions they might have been putting out.
      Yeap. Perfectly fine cars being WASTED.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-door base DBP
      03-20-2017 06:58 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Honda_Appliance View Post
      Such as waste and a lot worse environmentally than the little bit of extra emissions they might have been putting out.
      ^ yes, and so typical of the loony stuff we see these days.
      Let them eat cake...

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R 2-door base DBP
      03-20-2017 07:00 PM #38
      Of course. Bloomington-Normal has over 120,000 people, it's not like Kamloops or something. What is a Kamloops anyway?
      Let them eat cake...

Vehicles
      2014 Rogue SL, 2008 XC90 3.2, 2012 Golf 2.5
      03-20-2017 07:37 PM #39
      I wonder if it would be worth to "re-engineer" these as Euro-spec diesels and just get rid of them there...

Then we can stop complaining about NA vs. Euro dashboard squishyness
      Quote Originally Posted by DRUB View Post
      What just cause Im new.

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-20-2017 07:53 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by IridiumB6 View Post
      I wonder if it would be worth to "re-engineer" these as Euro-spec diesels and just get rid of them there...

Then we can stop complaining about NA vs. Euro dashboard squishyness
      Per the settlement, VW isn't allowed to export the cars until they achieve emissions-compliance. The EPA compromised with VW, and they don't need to achieve full compliance (full NOx reduction). However, it's likely only the most recent generation TDIs can meet even partial compliance.
      =

16. Member
      Vehicles
      N
      03-20-2017 08:24 PM #41
      But I can go buy a Ford Raptor that gets 12mpg just can't dare drive a 50mpg diesel car. Hopefully VW comes up with a proper fix and then put them back into use.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      03-20-2017 08:42 PM #42
      There is also a huge area at Pikes Peak Int'l Raceway near Colorado Springs, CO

Vehicles
      '17 Subaru Legacy Sport
      03-20-2017 09:22 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Tdi13golf View Post
      But I can go buy a Ford Raptor that gets 12mpg just can't dare drive a 50mpg diesel car. Hopefully VW comes up with a proper fix and then put them back into use.
      In the US, we don't regulate CO2 as if it were a smog forming emission. Instead, we regulate it through CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy), which was created in response to the Oil Embargo in the 1970s. Why? Probably has a lot to do with politics. At the time, it wasn't widely accepted that CO2 was "harmful" to the environment since we exhale it. So, the EPA wasn't granted authority to regulate automotive CO2 emissions via the Clean Air Act. CAFE is regulated by NHTSA but fuel economy testing is administrated by the EPA. Since the EPA has limited resources and we are a market-driven economy, the EPA allows automakers to "self certify" their fuel economy and emissions.

NOx, which is the smog forming emission that VW violated, is within the EPA's jurisdiction and is regulated by the Clean Air Act.

Fuel consumption is directly proportional to CO2 emissions. The higher the CO2 emissions, the poorer the gas mileage. It's important to note a gallon of diesel will have slightly higher carbon emissions than a gallon of gasoline due to differences in chemical structure (Gasoline: 4-12 Carbon atoms per molecule, Diesel: 10-15 Carbon atoms per molecule). NOx is not directly correlated to fuel consumption, and in fact lower fuel consumption (leaner burning) can drastically increase NOx emissions. Since CAFE works by fleet averages, an automaker can build a certain amount of vehicles with poor fuel consumption as long as they have a higher number of vehicles with good fuel consumption to offset. There is no allowance like this for NOx.

So, in light of the EPA's viewpoint or authority to regulate vehicle emissions, a TDI is in fact worse for the environment than a Ford Raptor that gets 12 mpg. The EPA reflects this on the window sticker by giving a Golf TDI a 3/10 score for Smog Forming Emissions compared to the Raptor's 5/10 score. In reality, the truth is much more complex than that, but our political system isn't always so logical.
      =

Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      03-20-2017 11:24 PM #44
      Such a waste.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Vehicles
      03 Jetta Wagon 1.8T, 08 Polo 9N3 1.4TDI, 14 Tiguan 6MT, 87 IZH Kombi
      03-20-2017 11:32 PM #45
      I was told that Long Beach airport in SoCal is fully packed with the local TDIs.

I pulled up to a small dealer locally to buy a few little things for the car and they had no parking. I mean parking was full, then i noticed, it was all buyback TDIs.

Vehicles
      '03 Jetta TDI Wagon 5-spd, '97 Supra N/A
      03-21-2017 12:01 AM #46
      I thought they had already started crushing them? I've seen several posts in facebook groups with TDIs stacked on top of eachother with no wheels and stuff. I feel disgusted every time I see a new post with pics of them. Poor cars, dude. It kills me the '09 Jetta I sold to my uncle is going to end up like that.
      Looking for VW parts? Follow @irrelevanttuningco on Instagram for some great deals!

Vehicles
      '14 IS350 F Sport, '15 Moto Guzzi V7
      03-21-2017 12:29 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      For some perspective this is what 15,000 Sandy victim cars look like in storage.

So this would be about 3% of the VW recall. I wish someone would get out there with a drone already! I don't have any skin in the game with this whole TDi deal but it still fascinates me. Reminds me of the EV1 crushing.

23. 03-21-2017 12:30 AM #48
      A lot full of that Volkswagen's "proper design" huh?

Judging from the VW diesel thread it looks like many have moved on to another vehicle. Unfortunately for VW many have also moved onto another brand.

I bet VW hopes that nobody gets to see this lot.

24. Senior Member
      03-21-2017 01:11 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Obviously a Blonde View Post

I bet VW hopes that nobody gets to see this lot.
      Might make people think what a colossal waste of resources it is, right? Or, VINDICATION FOR THOSE UNKNOWINGLY WRONGED BY VW IF IT WEREN'T FOR THOSE MEDDLING WEST VIRGINIA COLLEGE KIDS!

Coincidentally, those meddling kids, got feck all for their tireless work to do what the gubment should've being doing from the beginning -> https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/b...inia.html?_r=0 But so long as witless consumers feel 'somewhat' righted and fines will be used solely to further environmental health, all is good right?
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

25. 03-21-2017 01:24 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_Can't Spell Or Read Well, Must Be Blonde And Blind View Post
      Might make people think what a colossal waste of resources it is, right? Or, VINDICATION FOR THOSE UNKNOWINGLY WRONGED BY VW IF IT WEREN'T FOR THOSE MEDDLING WEST VIRGINIA COLLEGE KIDS!

Coincidentally, those meddling kids, got feck all for their tireless work to do what the gubment should've being doing from the beginning -> https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/b...inia.html?_r=0 But so long as witless consumers feel 'somewhat' righted and fines will be used solely to further environmental health, all is good right?
      That link. Good read.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast