Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: DSG Problems?

Vehicles
      91' VRT GLI... 12' Golf TDI
      12-13-2016 02:25 PM #126
      DSG Mk7 GTI, intake, downpipe TCU tune and stage2 ECU file, all APR. Couldn't find a similar post so I was wondering if anyone else with a similarly modded car has experienced something.

Normally I leave the car just in D mode so if I apply throttle and it needs more power it downshifts or maybe I'll hit the paddle to downshift if I know I'll need the power in a moment. I was in manual mode recently and it will stay in the current gear no matter how much throttle is applied. I was just cruising in 5th gear at maybe 2,000rpm, I went WOT and felt a pretty heavy shudder until I left off the throttle. I increased my speed and tried the same in 6th gear, same shudder at 2,000rpm.

I experienced this with my stage2 TDI and from what I remember the explanation was the DMF couldn't handle the quickly building torque causing the springs to compress fully locking the DMF. With the DMF fully locked all the engines vibrations that are normally dampened by the DMF springs are felt throughout the car. It never caused a problem in my TDI I just made sure to avoid the low rpm/high gear scenarios but I never knew what kind of damage feeling the vibrations could cause.

I haven't seen anyone post about this specific DSG issue with the mk7 GTI so I wasn't sure if it was just happening to me or if other folks have had this happen but just "drive around it" and avoid WOT in the lower RPM range/higher gear combo. Also, I do understand that in general heavy throttle while at a low RPM in a high gear is not good for the motor. But, running in manual mode it happens on occasion if you quickly need to pass and don't think to downshift first. Just curious if others have experienced this.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by DubmyRUCA; 12-13-2016 at 06:32 PM.

2. 12-13-2016 11:42 PM #127
      Hey guys,

any of you guys experience this? Once in a while, I'd throw it in reverse or drive, take my foot off the breaks and the car would pause for what feels like 2-3 seconds. Otherwise it shifts into drive or reverse almost immediately. Doesn't matter if it is warmed up or not.

Vehicles
      2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
      12-13-2016 11:55 PM #128
      Take your foot off the brake slower.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      12-14-2016 02:18 AM #129
      1st and reverse are on the same clutch so you need to slow down, be patient and wait for the transmission to complete the shift unlike other sequential shifts where the alternate clutch has a gear pre-selected. Three seconds seems excessive but you may be confusing the transmission by getting on the gas too fast. I don't think it takes any more time than one should normally be taking looking for hazards before changing direction.

FWIW, pausing when shifting either direction between 1st and reverse is a good practice with any type of transmission to avoid wear or damage.
      Last edited by isoprene; 12-14-2016 at 02:22 AM.

5. 12-14-2016 07:50 AM #130
      Sometimes when shifting from reverse to drive or vice Versa the transmission seems to have a hiccup. It feels like it throws it out of gear or something for a brief second, then everything is normal.

6. 12-14-2016 01:41 PM #131
      Yes .. it hesitates a bit before getting into Drive. I have noticed this after backing up. I wondered if something was wrong, but it seems it may just be the nature of DSG (this being my first experience with it).

On a positive note, I don't have any turbo lag as I do with my 1.8 Golf S.

7. 12-14-2016 01:56 PM #132
      Also be careful after every stop and go be gentle with the trottle as the gear tend to be slow in lower gears and not slipping the clutchs inside

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Vehicles
      2016 VW GTI
      12-14-2016 01:57 PM #133
      Same thing with me and its pretty standard. As said above the R and 1ST gear are on the same clutch so it takes a little longer to switch than lets say 1st to 2nd. 2nd being on the second of the two clutches.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      12-14-2016 02:15 PM #134
      You should check out this thread:

How to Play The DSG Game, and Win - DSG Driving Tips and Tricks

It answered a lot of my "wtf moments" about DSG. Basically it's just a guessing game and if you make your intentions more obvious you'll have more fun.

Vehicles
      12-25-2016 09:12 PM #135
      Up

Vehicles
      '78 Rabbit,'77 Scirocco,'79 Rabbit,'81 G60 Scirocco S,'84 GTI,'86GTI,'83 16vTurbo GTI,Mk7GTI, MK7R
      12-27-2016 10:16 AM #136
      The motor doesn't like a lot of boost before 3k, a simple downshift or drop to sport mode will yield better performance and you and your car will be happier for it. It's just a matter of learning to live with the DSG, it's an awesome transmission, but it doesn't know/anticipate everything. In the scenario you describe, think about what's going on at the crank, you're trying to get the motor to spin faster under a huge load it can't overcome, yet shoving a bunch of boost on top of the piston. It's not a good scenario, but a quick down shift is a simple answer.

Vehicles
      01-25-2017 05:29 PM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore VW View Post
      In the scenario you describe, think about what's going on at the crank, you're trying to get the motor to spin faster under a huge load it can't overcome, yet shoving a bunch of boost on top of the piston. It's not a good scenario, but a quick down shift is a simple answer.
      Thanks for the reply. Definitely agree, just haven't seen it mentioned in any threads and wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. The DSG seems to be regarded as very solid with stock turbo power levels so I was surprised to not hear anyone mentioning it.

13. 01-25-2017 06:11 PM #138
      My driving style usually doesn't include punching the throttle from a low RPM cruise. But I know that older cars with slushbox automatics had a kickdown function when the pedal reached the floor. Does the DSG system not have this?

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI DSG, 2014 E Class Coupe, 1999 Corvette FRC
      01-29-2017 05:57 AM #139
      Ive had and continue to experience this issue as well. 15 GTI has been flashed since day one, I have been running a downpie and TCU for 5 or 6 months now as well. I have over 77k on my GTI and bought it new. APR claims they have not heard of the issue and suggested the TCU would resolve it and it has not.

Vehicles
      01-30-2017 11:42 AM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by SledgehammerOG View Post
      Ive had and continue to experience this issue as well. 15 GTI has been flashed since day one, I have been running a downpie and TCU for 5 or 6 months now as well. I have over 77k on my GTI and bought it new. APR claims they have not heard of the issue and suggested the TCU would resolve it and it has not.
      Exactly the reply I was hoping for, one question though, have you ever done the DSG adaptation?

Thanks,
      Last edited by DubmyRUCA; 01-30-2017 at 12:24 PM.

16. 02-14-2017 02:09 AM #141
      Hello!

I have noticed a few times in the past (maybe once in a couple of months) that when I start the car in the morning on a relatively cold weather the reverse gear would slip a few times (the revs try to go up but the car jerks and they go back to idle, repeat), but today I have noticed that even in first gear when the car was standing still on a small incline the gear would slip in the same way - the engine revs but then jerks and goes back to idle, repeat, until I give it a bit of gas and then it goes.

I have attached a video. After a few of these occurrences today I pulled over and restarted the engine and the problem was gone, I tried a very steep incline and the car pulled without any issue.

Here's a short video I managed to capture:

https://youtu.be/JFmI8AXSqsI?t=14

It happens about 15s in. You can see the revs bounce but the speed doesn't change. I managed to capture doing it only once because there was a car coming up, but it can repeat until I give it a little gas.

Any idea what could be the issue?

17. 02-14-2017 06:53 AM #142
      This happens to me with dsg as well, especially when pulling out somewhere and putting it in drive to fast...it hesitates and does the exact same thing as yours. I think it's just the way the trans works, unless yours is always happening then something could be wrong. After I got my stage 1 tune I opted for the TCU tune and this seemed to stop most of my problems with this though. happens very rarely now.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

18. 02-14-2017 09:03 AM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by xxxace420xxx View Post
      This happens to me with dsg as well, especially when pulling out somewhere and putting it in drive to fast...it hesitates and does the exact same thing as yours. I think it's just the way the trans works, unless yours is always happening then something could be wrong. After I got my stage 1 tune I opted for the TCU tune and this seemed to stop most of my problems with this though. happens very rarely now.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk
      same.

10 sames

19. 02-15-2017 04:09 AM #144
      Happened again this morning. I restarted the car and it drove normally... Weird. Plus a fault code keeps appearing related to the gearbox and I can't find any info on it: P173400 (scanned with OBDEleven).
      I think I will have to take it into service next week. Doubt they will find anything though, as it happens when the car is cold.

Vehicles
      2016 GTI Autobahn w/ PP, 2006 Passat 2.0T, 1993 Passat GLX
      03-20-2017 08:53 PM #145
      Is it normal for the DSG to be really, really f@#$ing stupid while cold? There are times I need to accelerate sharply before the car's up to operating temperature (200), not intending to get in anywhere near redline nor stomping the accelerator into the kickdown. What actually happens is the car holds first until I hit redline and then sits there and *bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounces * off of it until I manually pull a paddle to force a shift, and then I sit there with no power for a while longer, and eventually end up getting dumped into 3rd.
      -Nick

21. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R SportsWagen
      03-20-2017 09:49 PM #146
      Nope. 90k miles in DSG equipped VWs, never happened to me. I never put my foot down heavily until OIL temp is at least registering though - I assume by 200 you mean water temp, so in other words you just started the car? How much throttle are you giving it, and what's the outside temp like?
      Last edited by StoneMountain; 03-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI, 2007 VW GTI (sold), 2013 Infiniti G37x Sedan
      03-21-2017 02:26 AM #147
      Quote Originally Posted by MP3DUB View Post
      Is it normal for the DSG to be really, really f@#$ing stupid while cold? There are times I need to accelerate sharply before the car's up to operating temperature (200), not intending to get in anywhere near redline nor stomping the accelerator into the kickdown. What actually happens is the car holds first until I hit redline and then sits there and *bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounces * off of it until I manually pull a paddle to force a shift, and then I sit there with no power for a while longer, and eventually end up getting dumped into 3rd.
      IIRC, there is a way to "reset" the DSG transmission. I would try that first. If it doesn't work, dealership.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73409

more info here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2690...ithout-vagcom/

This might not apply to the MK7. But it doesn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, the dealership will most likely reset the "basic settings" via their computer module.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

Vehicles
      DD 16 GTI S 4D DSG RES DELETE, NEUSPEED PM, CQUARTZ, AE LEDS, AKD; FUN CAR 911 997 CAB
      03-21-2017 04:35 PM #148
      Isn't there some logic that keeps up the revs up to startup the catalytic converter?

24. Member
      Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R DBP DSG DCC NAV
      03-21-2017 05:50 PM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolaisnicer View Post
      Isn't there some logic that keeps up the revs up to startup the catalytic converter?
      I put it in sport to get the idle higher. Takes forever to warm up the Motul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

25. 03-21-2017 05:56 PM #150
      I sloooowly take off in the morning and my dsg holds first gear forever as well. Never redline, but I usually upshift to keep the revs low.
      If I take off quickly, proper shifting occurs

For advertising information click HERE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast