VWVortex.com - Cold DSG + Sharp Acceleration = F@#$ing Stupidity?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Cold DSG + Sharp Acceleration = F@#$ing Stupidity?

Vehicles
      2016 GTI Autobahn w/ PP, 2006 Passat 2.0T, 1993 Passat GLX
      03-20-2017 08:53 PM #1
      Is it normal for the DSG to be really, really f@#$ing stupid while cold? There are times I need to accelerate sharply before the car's up to operating temperature (200), not intending to get in anywhere near redline nor stomping the accelerator into the kickdown. What actually happens is the car holds first until I hit redline and then sits there and *bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounces * off of it until I manually pull a paddle to force a shift, and then I sit there with no power for a while longer, and eventually end up getting dumped into 3rd.
      -Nick

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R SportsWagen
      03-20-2017 09:49 PM #2
      Nope. 90k miles in DSG equipped VWs, never happened to me. I never put my foot down heavily until OIL temp is at least registering though - I assume by 200 you mean water temp, so in other words you just started the car? How much throttle are you giving it, and what's the outside temp like?
      Last edited by StoneMountain; 03-20-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Vehicles
      2015 VW GTI, 2007 VW GTI (sold), 2013 Infiniti G37x Sedan
      03-21-2017 02:26 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by MP3DUB View Post
      Is it normal for the DSG to be really, really f@#$ing stupid while cold? There are times I need to accelerate sharply before the car's up to operating temperature (200), not intending to get in anywhere near redline nor stomping the accelerator into the kickdown. What actually happens is the car holds first until I hit redline and then sits there and *bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounce*bounces * off of it until I manually pull a paddle to force a shift, and then I sit there with no power for a while longer, and eventually end up getting dumped into 3rd.
      IIRC, there is a way to "reset" the DSG transmission. I would try that first. If it doesn't work, dealership.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73409

more info here:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2690...ithout-vagcom/

This might not apply to the MK7. But it doesn't hurt to try. If it doesn't work, the dealership will most likely reset the "basic settings" via their computer module.
      Need VAG-COM work in CNY? PM me!

OEM+

Vehicles
      DD 16 GTI S 4D DSG RES DELETE, NEUSPEED PM, CQUARTZ, AE LEDS, AKD; FUN CAR 911 997 CAB
      03-21-2017 04:35 PM #4
      Isn't there some logic that keeps up the revs up to startup the catalytic converter?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      16 VW Golf R DBP DSG DCC NAV
      03-21-2017 05:50 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by nicolaisnicer View Post
      Isn't there some logic that keeps up the revs up to startup the catalytic converter?
      I put it in sport to get the idle higher. Takes forever to warm up the Motul.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

6. 03-21-2017 05:56 PM #6
      I sloooowly take off in the morning and my dsg holds first gear forever as well. Never redline, but I usually upshift to keep the revs low.
      If I take off quickly, proper shifting occurs

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tech/DSG
      03-21-2017 07:14 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MP3DUB View Post
      Is it normal for the DSG to be really, really f@#$ing stupid while cold?
      Not in my experience. The only thing I notice is if I get on it moderately when pulling onto the street then there's a hard 1-2 shift. I attribute that to the 2-4-6 clutch being sticky from sitting. The solution is to either pull away slowly or do a quick 1-2-1 shift as I roll down the driveway. A sticky/cold wet clutch is a fact of life on my motorcycle so I'm used to it.
      Last edited by isoprene; 03-21-2017 at 07:22 PM.

For advertising information click HERE