VWVortex.com - My First step into the Golf world
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First step into the Golf world

1. 03-24-2017 12:53 AM #1
      Hi all, first I'd like to say thanks for having me. Back in the day my father had a 77 2 door gas Rabbit, and like all 20-year-olds, he decided he wanted to start hot rodding it. Bless his heart, he went out, and dropped a 130 Horse motor, turbo charger, and performance tranny in it. After that, I came along, and the project got shelved, and the car thrown under a tarp for about 18 years now. Well, I went under the tarp to go exploring, and after some fiddling, I found the floor and front seats rusted out, but the motor and transmission all seem to be ok, as well as the majority of parts that just werent down real close to the ground. Me being the young and wild 17 year old I am, have now gotten a wild hair up my butt to finnish out his project for him. After a bit of searching around, I have found a 2 door 79 rabbit a town over for $400. I havent gotten a chance to see it in person, but the gentleman claims it just needs a motor to run. Only down side is, there is no interior at all, and no exterior parts at all. It is painted though, so thats nice. From my few hours of googling I've been able to do, it looks like Im looking at upwards of 750 to finish out the interior, and Im hoping we could salvage the majority of the exterior parts off the 77 to keep exterior price fairly low. Do yall think I would dump (significantly) more money into this than its worth to finish out? It'd be awful cool to beat around in a 70's VW, and I'd imagine it'd have some zip with as little as these weigh, but I'd hate to just poor a bunch of money into it and be a waste. Whats yalls take?

2. 03-24-2017 10:33 AM #2
      Do it

Vehicles
      1.8T, 1.8T, VR6, 1.8T, 1.8T, AJ41
      03-24-2017 11:27 AM #3
      Run. Save for retirement.

Building a car is fun if that's what makes you happy but you can buy a nicely finished mk1 for a couple thousand and let someone else take the $15k loss.
      "Great, I think I got it. But just in case... tell me the whole thing again, I wasn't listening"-Emmet

4. 03-24-2017 05:03 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 04VWGTITURBO View Post

Building a car is fun if that's what makes you happy but you can buy a nicely finished mk1 for a couple thousand and let someone else take the $15k loss.
      ^^ Dropping the truth bombs!

I mean, if you have the space, and the time, and the mechanical aptitude, and already have a butt-load of tools, it can be done on the cheap. But the minutes the words "stance", "coilovers", "swap", "performance", "NOS", "turbo", "paint job" or "chrome" enter your vocabulary... It's all over but the cryin'.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      03-24-2017 05:41 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by tosoutherncars2 View Post
      ^^ Dropping the truth bombs!

I mean, if you have the space, and the time, and the mechanical aptitude, and already have a butt-load of tools, it can be done on the cheap. But the minutes the words "stance", "coilovers", "swap", "performance", "NOS", "turbo", "paint job" or "chrome" enter your vocabulary... It's all over but the cryin'.
      My first car was a 1958 that I bought out of a field, the Weeds were taller than the car, the owner at the time said it run's... and sure enough 2 gallons of gas and a jump it ran.... 50 bucks.... 13 years of age and I owned a 1958 Austin Healey Sprite mk1.

A year into the rebuild I came across a 67 MG Midget with a blown engine... 250 later it was mine.....Took dang near 3 years to get it presentable, but it kept me either at work (Sacking Groceries) or putzing on the cars.... Didn't have time for getting into trouble School, work, car,... I sold the MG, but the AH still sits in a Barn with a tarp over it, and the engine, and stuff are waiting to be put back in...I had finished all the body, engine, tranny work, rebuilt the Armstrong Shocks, brakes re-wired the thing from front to back.... I keep saying one year.....

So for a 17yr old, go for it, this isn't a ricer, never will be...but it will keep you out of trouble....(till it is running, and you will be getting 45-50 Smiles per mile when you are done).
      Grounds, Grounds, Grounds Replace them things.
      Divorces, Great Coffee, and Electrics, all start with GOOD Grounds.

Another Useless Ground Thread
      HAVE YOU CHECKED THE FAQ's ABOVE..PAGE 3 Thread 75? Why bother no one else does.
      You can lead a user to a link, but you can't make them click.

6. 03-24-2017 06:29 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 04VWGTITURBO View Post

Im still to impulsive to start saving yet, as of yet any extra money I've gotten ahold of has went to collecting Finnish rifles, so one war or another the money is going to disappear. How do you figure 15K? I've got a motor, transmission and all other associated parts, I just need a body to put it in. I've found the local body, which will need paint and a interior, but I cant see it pushing too high. I would be happy with putting 5K into the project.

7. 03-24-2017 06:31 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post

So for a 17yr old, go for it, this isn't a ricer, never will be...but it will keep you out of trouble....(till it is running, and you will be getting 45-50 Smiles per mile when you are done).
      That's the plan. I'd like to finish it out mostly stock, short of the motor and transmission, and replace my 03 Mitsu, because whats not cool about beating around in a 70's German car

Vehicles
      1.8T, 1.8T, VR6, 1.8T, 1.8T, AJ41
      03-24-2017 07:28 PM #8
      $15k was just a number I threw out. I'm sure people have lost more or less on their projects. If you budget $5k and get it running then you'll probably be satisfied for a little while. Then something will break and you'll upgrade. Then you'll take it to a car show and see a really clean mk1, then you'll spend money on some paint, maybe some interior. Then before you know it you are shopping for wheels, some suspension. Before you know it you'll have ~$15k in a mk1 worth $5k, just like everyone else.

If it was me, I'd sell what you already have for some cash, buy a mk1 you really like that someone else already lost money on and start filling up that bank account for a down payment on a house or something more logical. You'll thank me later
      "Great, I think I got it. But just in case... tell me the whole thing again, I wasn't listening"-Emmet

9. 03-24-2017 11:01 PM #9
      Ah I got you. This would end up being my daily driver, so its not like its just a waste of money for me, plus it gives me a project to finish out with my father. And Like I said, if the money doesnt go to the car, it will end up going into rifles, atleast the car I get to use on the daily.

10. Junior Member 1977Rabbit1.6Liter's Avatar
      Vehicles
      1977 VW Rabbit 1.6 swap w/2.0 aeg, 81 2dr rabbit deluxe donor, 97 Tacoma on 33s, 04 pilot (mom car)
      03-24-2017 11:18 PM #10
      Its a no brainer, go for it. The satisfaction is worth it alone. Let alone the continuance of your fathers legacy, make it happen holmes

11. Member
      Vehicles
      1984 GTI, 2003 GTI 20th
      03-25-2017 08:49 AM #11
      post some pics
      Last edited by Gromel; 03-25-2017 at 08:54 AM.

12. 04-20-2017 09:40 PM #12
      As soon as I can figure out how to post pics here I will

13. 04-20-2017 09:49 PM #13
      Alrighty, here we go, link has the list of pictures. Assuming my motor and transmission are good, off the top of my head Im looking at new floors, interior and paint, so Im thinking a minimum of 2-3K right off the bat, Im curious if I can swing this all in one summer....
      http://imgur.com/a/XdLGC

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      04-20-2017 11:18 PM #14
      ^
      not too bad...... it has a larger 1.8L engine, turbo manifold
      missing the intake
      to get THAT engine running again would be over $500 easy.
      the fuel system is missing. you could carb it....still $$$$

the rest of the car is in sad shape it looks like
      fixing the interior is the last of your concerns
      #1 engine. #2 brakes #3 steering/suspension.... #4 electrical then worry about the "pretty stuff"

it appears that a slug decided to clean the filth off the passenger door...nice trails

my advice?
      unless you have a hole burning in your pocket and a nice garage to do some work for the next year as you collect parts and scrub that bastard clean....skip
      or if youre looking for a shell to use "good" parts (aka NLA) or want to part that one out......

SKIP

move on

me personally
      if i had the space in the garage to hold that car for parts
      *and work on my other cars*
      i would strip it and part it out.
      but im a hobbyist, a car geek, a mechanic.

also......
      i have enough spare parts for the engine in stock on hand right now
      to get that engine to spark and fire:
      air intake, ignition coil, distributor, CIS fuel equipment (complete), alternators & brackets. etc.
      Last edited by rabbitnothopper; 04-20-2017 at 11:26 PM.

15. 04-21-2017 03:03 PM #15
      Oh no, I've got all the motor stuff, its been kept nice and dry, so I'm not as concerned about that. I have been considering buying a cheap one on craigslist or something for $500 or so, and swapping the motor and transmission, assuming neither of them are buggered. I feel that would be the easiest, but everything I have found so far has been 80's models, and I sure do like those round headlights.

16. 04-21-2017 03:53 PM #16
      Since you asked, here is my $0.02....

As long as your father is on board with the project, I'd say 100% go for it. I have a 17yr old and if she wanted to fix up something from my past (he clearly held on to this for some reason with hopes to some day revisit the project) I'd be stoked and likely fund much, if not all, of the project.

The time with your father, knowledge learned, interesting people you will meet, and satisfaction of doing it yourself are much more valuable than the dollars you will spend.

I was in your exact situation when I was 16 and "restored" a 1970 Datsun 240z. I use the term loosely b/c it basically meant make it look presentable and get it running properly. I can't begin to tell you how much I spent, but it wasn't very much. The satisfaction of cruising around in a car you and you father built will be priceless.

DO IT !!!!!!!

17. 04-21-2017 06:15 PM #17
      At the very least I'll drag it home and see whats up, worst case scenario I'll gut it and sell whats worth a flip here and put some new speakers in my Mitsu But I'll try to make it work for sure. Also is there a list of compatible parts between years and models? So far my Google-Fu has failed me in producing anything real useful.

18. 04-21-2017 09:54 PM #18
      I would say no, no ,and hell no.

You will be chasing your tail from start to finish. You'll spend $4K just to have something else break.

I can buy a Cabby for less than 2 grand locally that will give you a better platform. Hell, I'll sell you my '84 GTI for 4 grand (no I won't but ..) and you would be well ahead of the game.

The term Rabbit Hole is apropos in this case. Too much rot and too much to fix.

19. 04-22-2017 01:57 PM #19
      So I'm proably just best off dragging it home and putting itin the shed and pulling what I can from it, such as windows and the like?

20. 04-22-2017 04:15 PM #20
      Yep break it for parts. Buy more rifles. Profit.

21. 04-23-2017 08:49 PM #21
      Here is one I found in town by sheer luck. Guy wants 500 for it, says it has new floors. Says it needs a motor to run, otherwise it has everything to "Run" but thats it. Think this would be a decent base to start with? http://imgur.com/a/aSaLF
      Last edited by no_dude; 04-23-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Vehicles
      1961 Bug, 1983 Rabbit GTI, 1984 Rabbit GTI, 1991 Golf Country, 1998 GTI, 2004 R32
      04-25-2017 11:22 PM #22
      Looks like a solid shell, and an early westy too, which is cool. I would say go for it, even if it doesn't end up running (even though seems like you'd have a good shot at getting something drivable). Not everyone is the same, but family and healthy hobbies are on my short list for what's important in life. I know people who have gotten into VW's at your age and that has shaped their entire life. Other people burn out and move on, or become successful and stick with VW's or upgrade to more expensive German cars. When I was about your age my dad bought an old Mercedes and wanted to restore it together with my and my twin brother. We didn't show much interest in it and he eventually sold it. Years later I'm very much into that sort of thing, but don't really have the opportunity to work on cars with my dad anymore, and will probably always regret not being more interested back in the day. Plus, I don't know anyone who's ever said "I wish I hadn't sold that mid-2000's Mitsubishi"

23. 04-26-2017 02:23 PM #23
      IMO, part that thing out to make $$ and buy a 2-3K runner with a solid body and no major problems. Take advantage of someone else restoring their car who cant live without the parts that you have. Then take advantage of someone who restored/cleaned-up a car but needs to move on.

If you want a project to do with Pops, there are plenty of other things that won't just burn your cash. Maybe stick to a smaller part of the car. Like buy a solid body with a blown engine and rebuild an engine for a "dream" swap. just my .02.

24. 04-26-2017 07:08 PM #24
      At this point Im thinking I'm just going to keep the Turbo, motor and tranny out of the old one I have, and drop it into someothing else, then guy it for whatever I can use or sell, and send the frame on down the river to ye old scrap yard. Ces are you saying to part out the one I have, or scoop up the red one and part it out as well? VR when I hit a hobby, I go hard and heavy lol, up to this point it has been balls to the walls Cold War rifles, but the thing is I cant really use them that much, atleast if I dump money into a car, I can use it as my daily driver. I'll go crawl all over the one in town and see what I think, if it feels right I may jump, if not thats fine too. Also the guy said he didnt know if it was a gas or diesel, any easy way to tell?

25. 04-26-2017 11:35 PM #25
      Yeah I meant part the one you have. Have some patience and a real good one will come up. Just make sure is as complete and good body as possible. $20-30 for parts missing here and there adds way quick.

Easiest way to tell a diesel from a gas for the untrained is that a diesel won't have spark plugs, distributor etc. I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge says "diesel fuel only" on diesel models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast