Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: E-Golf information for Canadians

1. 05-17-2017 08:05 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by Enoculator View Post
      I sort of figured that this online reservation thing was kind of gimmicky. Why reserve online when you can reserve with your dealers as well? If there are only limited number of dealers who are selling the e-Golf, then list them on vw.ca.
      Your right, too bad there wasn't any list. Being in Saskatchewan, the nearest dealer is in Winnipeg. Now I'm going through the process of getting my $1k back. All it said was "preferred dealer", well my preferred dealer is in town.

2. 05-18-2017 10:07 AM #127
      Quote Originally Posted by billd25 View Post
      Your right, too bad there wasn't any list. Being in Saskatchewan, the nearest dealer is in Winnipeg. Now I'm going through the process of getting my $1k back. All it said was "preferred dealer", well my preferred dealer is in town.
      Yup, you're right. The online reservation was a pure marketing tactic. I canceled my online reservation. If I would have known from the start that higher trims will only arrive in August/September, I would have never reserved. Very poor communication on VW's part.

3. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI
      05-18-2017 07:00 PM #128
      Sounds like you are doing the sports suspension. I'm also thinking about that since the acceleration is pretty awesome. Plus the lowered body would look pretty nice.
      Yeah I guess that's what we'll be looking at... He mentioned maybe H&R as well. It's something I think is necessary because of going from the 16" to 18" otherwise it would look like an alltrack!

4. 05-18-2017 07:35 PM #129
      Quote Originally Posted by Jiggamanyaheard View Post
      Yeah I guess that's what we'll be looking at... He mentioned maybe H&R as well. It's something I think is necessary because of going from the 16" to 18" otherwise it would look like an alltrack!
      I have a question regarding lowered suspension on the E-Golf...

Does anybody knows if an H&R Sport spring kit installed on my current MKVII Golf would fit the E-Golf...?

This kit :

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...-set/54786~hr/

I'm guessing my 17" GTI replica wheels will fit but, wasn't sure about the suspension. Any thoughts...?

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI
      05-19-2017 09:49 AM #130
      Quote Originally Posted by plpaiement View Post
      I have a question regarding lowered suspension on the E-Golf...

Does anybody knows if an H&R Sport spring kit installed on my current MKVII Golf would fit the E-Golf...?

This kit :

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...-set/54786~hr/

I'm guessing my 17" GTI replica wheels will fit but, wasn't sure about the suspension. Any thoughts...?

I was told they had to wait to get their demo on the lift to see how it all looked under there. I'm sure it will work but won't know until they see it live

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Golf Comfortline TDI 6MT Pure White
      05-19-2017 10:08 AM #131
      vw.ca now shows $450 for the Oryx Pearl White.

7. 05-23-2017 02:16 PM #132
      Quote Originally Posted by marco.soliman86 View Post
      Yup, you're right. The online reservation was a pure marketing tactic. I canceled my online reservation. If I would have known from the start that higher trims will only arrive in August/September, I would have never reserved. Very poor communication on VW's part.
      I am thinking of cancelling my dealer deposit too.

Basically roughly 700 vehicles are allocated to Canada for 2017.
      500 going to Quebec
      200 split pretty much mostly by BC and Ontario
      Launch vehicles do not have drivers assistance package. I am curious who will really buy a 45k car without those features? I mean when your "boring" Toyotas and Kias all have them.......wtf is VW Canada thinking?

I doubt I will get mine before 2018.
      By then I should just get the Leaf mk2 instead......if the rumour of a 40kW or 60kW battery is true.
      Last edited by chrix; 05-23-2017 at 02:18 PM.

8. 05-23-2017 02:48 PM #133
      Quote Originally Posted by chrix View Post

500 going to Quebec
      Launch vehicles do not have drivers assistance package. I am curious who will really buy a 45k car without those features? I mean when your "boring" Toyotas and Kias all have them.......wtf is VW Canada thinking?

By then I should just get the Leaf mk2 instead......if the rumour of a 40kW or 60kW battery is true.

I requested my online refund 1 week ago and still haven't received my money. Really dissapointed with how VW handled this whole thing. You would think they would build the fully loaded ones first...

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Jetta Mk5; 2002 Golf Mk4
      05-23-2017 03:31 PM #134

500 going to Quebec

Where did you get the info that only 200 will be split between BC and Ontario?

05-23-2017 04:04 PM #135
      Somebody is feeding you alternate facts.

Yes, Quebec's share is larger due to the Quebec ZEV Mandate, but it does not represent over 70% of the national number. Let's call it ~50%.

500 going to Quebec
      The launch vehicles are a 50/50 mix of Comfortline without options and of Comfortline with Technology & Leatherette packages. And, yes, some customers do prefer their cars without the options.

Launch vehicles do not have drivers assistance package. I am curious who will really buy a 45k car without those features?

11. 05-25-2017 08:12 AM #136
      Thanks for the correction but not sure if that changes anything.

Is it really that customers prefers the car without those options?? Or is it that they find those options overpriced and therefore not worth it?

Those safety features in the driver assistance package...are standard on the base $16k Corolla.

VW makes it ONLY available in the (almost) fully loaded configuration of their latest and greatest, AND have a delayed release. OF COURSE some people will "prefer" not to have it.

Seriously. A base Corolla!

I think if I ran a VW dealership I would be extremely pissed at VW Canada.
      Last edited by chrix; 05-25-2017 at 08:20 AM.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-25-2017 08:51 AM #137
      Thanks for the correction but not sure if that changes anything.

Is it really that customers prefers the car without those options?? Or is it that they find those options overpriced and therefore not worth it?

Those safety features in the driver assistance package...are standard on the base $16k Corolla.

VW makes it ONLY available in the (almost) fully loaded configuration of their latest and greatest, AND have a delayed release. OF COURSE some people will "prefer" not to have it.

Seriously. A base Corolla!

I think if I ran a VW dealership I would be extremely pissed at VW Canada.
      Why are you comparing an eGolf to a Corolla? Corolla is an extremely high-volume ICE car, so of course it's a lot cheaper than a low-volume full BEV. The eGolf is made in Germany, the Corolla is made in Cambridge, ON. And the driver assistance package are safety features, but not compulsory because they are preventative, not post-collusion features like airbags and seat belts, so not everyone wants them. Some people don't want the car to tell them how to drive or drive for them.

Seriously, you are comparing apples to oranges.

13. 05-25-2017 10:21 AM #138
      Why are you comparing an eGolf to a Corolla? Corolla is an extremely high-volume ICE car, so of course it's a lot cheaper than a low-volume full BEV. The eGolf is made in Germany, the Corolla is made in Cambridge, ON. And the driver assistance package are safety features, but not compulsory because they are preventative, not post-collusion features like airbags and seat belts, so not everyone wants them. Some people don't want the car to tell them how to drive or drive for them.

Seriously, you are comparing apples to oranges.
      Sorry, I am NOT comparing the two. I am just pointing out that the impossible-to-get safety features in the "Drivers Assistance Package" that "some customers prefer to not have" are standard in much, much cheaper cars that's not even comparable to the e-Golf.

I find it slightly...."offensive" (for lack of a better word) when a very respectable info source claims that some customers prefer a car without those safety features......... when they should be standard / available as an option for a new car in 2017.

I just don't understand VW Canada's logic in making them NOT available at launch. I also don't understand VW Canada's logic in making them ONLY available in the fully-loaded trim level.
      Last edited by chrix; 05-25-2017 at 12:08 PM.

14. 05-25-2017 12:54 PM #139
      Sorry, I am NOT comparing the two. I am just pointing out that the impossible-to-get safety features in the "Drivers Assistance Package" that "some customers prefer to not have" are standard in much, much cheaper cars that's not even comparable to the e-Golf.

I find it slightly...."offensive" (for lack of a better word) when a very respectable info source claims that some customers prefer a car without those safety features......... when they should be standard / available as an option for a new car in 2017.

I just don't understand VW Canada's logic in making them NOT available at launch. I also don't understand VW Canada's logic in making them ONLY available in the fully-loaded trim level.
      Toyota may not be the best comparison as I don't think too many people are cross-shopping Corolla's and e-Golfs. Corollas are a great bang for the buck considering what you get, but they aren't aimed at any sort of car enthusiast whatsoever. If we look at the Honda Civic, which I think is a much better comparison, they have their HondaSense techonlogy, which is basically the same thing as the Driver Assistance Package. The cost to upgrade from a Civic without HondaSense to a Civic with it is $2300, pretty much the same as the eGolf ($2305).

You also have to consider with the VW DAP, you are also getting the digital dashboard in that same package. So it's a better value in the eGolf than it is in the Civic, if you ignore the fact that you need to add the Tech Package on the e-Golf to get DAP.

But - I do agree that they should offer the DAP without the Tech package. I would have bought DAP without Tech if I could have. I also agree they should have had some of the initial allocation have DAP, not sure what their reasoning for that is, they obviously are already building cars with it as all the reviews we've seen have that package, it's been in the other versions (non e) of the Golf for some time as well. Unless it was a matter of the plant they were building them at not being equipped to build in that package yet.

I'd be willing to bet that within 5 years or so, all cars will have that suite of safety products as standard (either because it's not competitive to sell without it, or because of a government mandate). 5 years ago, reverse cameras were only on the top models or an expensive option, now they are on almost everything (by May 2018 all cars in Canada will be required to have reverse cameras).

Also I think what Jouko was saying is that some customers prefer to not pay for those options. I doubt anyone would prefer a lesser equipped car at the same price.

15. 05-25-2017 03:04 PM #140
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTall View Post
      Toyota may not be the best comparison as I don't think too many people are cross-shopping Corolla's and e-Golfs. Corollas are a great bang for the buck considering what you get, but they aren't aimed at any sort of car enthusiast whatsoever. If we look at the Honda Civic, which I think is a much better comparison, they have their HondaSense techonlogy, which is basically the same thing as the Driver Assistance Package. The cost to upgrade from a Civic without HondaSense to a Civic with it is $2300, pretty much the same as the eGolf ($2305).

You also have to consider with the VW DAP, you are also getting the digital dashboard in that same package. So it's a better value in the eGolf than it is in the Civic, if you ignore the fact that you need to add the Tech Package on the e-Golf to get DAP.

But - I do agree that they should offer the DAP without the Tech package. I would have bought DAP without Tech if I could have. I also agree they should have had some of the initial allocation have DAP, not sure what their reasoning for that is, they obviously are already building cars with it as all the reviews we've seen have that package, it's been in the other versions (non e) of the Golf for some time as well. Unless it was a matter of the plant they were building them at not being equipped to build in that package yet.

I'd be willing to bet that within 5 years or so, all cars will have that suite of safety products as standard (either because it's not competitive to sell without it, or because of a government mandate). 5 years ago, reverse cameras were only on the top models or an expensive option, now they are on almost everything (by May 2018 all cars in Canada will be required to have reverse cameras).

Also I think what Jouko was saying is that some customers prefer to not pay for those options. I doubt anyone would prefer a lesser equipped car at the same price.
      I agree. We are now in the transition period for these features. Car manufacturers are still waiting to see if and when they become mainstream and soon enough they will equip them standard on all models as opposed to considering them luxury features. All these things start the same and some slower, some faster become mainstream. It's all up to how fast manufacturers put pressure on each other.

16. 05-25-2017 04:03 PM #141
      Quote Originally Posted by TheTall View Post

I agree that value of the DAP is good. I actually think it's a great deal...(I paid more for those in my XC90) to the point that I rejected a June delivery with Tech and leatherette in Orxy White...(ALMOST exactly the car I wanted!)

17. 05-26-2017 12:28 PM #142
      I'm a bit bummed now. I was kind of excited a bit about the acceleration on the e golf, but yesterday, out of curiosity, I did a few runs with my wife's 10 yo Camry LE and realized that the camry is faster. I clocked it at 8.5s (0-100km/h) and 3.2s (0-50km/h). But still, I love the e-golf.

Vehicles
      e-Golf and others
      05-26-2017 02:26 PM #143
      Quote Originally Posted by kataleen View Post
      I'm a bit bummed now. I was kind of excited a bit about the acceleration on the e golf, but yesterday, out of curiosity, I did a few runs with my wife's 10 yo Camry LE and realized that the camry is faster. I clocked it at 8.5s (0-100km/h) and 3.2s (0-50km/h). But still, I love the e-golf.
      At least the e-golf's silence allows you to access all of its acceleration without offending pedestrians or making other drivers think you're trying to race them.

I'd much sooner pin the power gauge at 10 than red-line an IC engine.

Staying OT: anyone have pictures of a custom colored 2017? Here's hoping this option comes to the US model later, even if it still costs $3k.

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2013 Jetta 2.5
      05-29-2017 05:36 PM #144
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubScott View Post
      Glad to hear that the e-mails are being received. Check your Spam folder if you didn't get it.

Here is the "something cool" I promised yesterday:

Viper Green Metallic, in the sheetmetal.

I actually rode this very car today. Attended a e-vehicle conference and got a ride-along and played around with the car. The vehicle had black leatherette interior + Tech package.

Key things I noticed:

Interior is basically the same as a regular Golf (why wouldn't it be?) minus the electronic handbrake. It still has the conventional dashboard speedometer and not the digital one.

I felt the mirrors were slightly different. I don't know how to describe it but it just felt different from the current generation. No European aspherical mirrors unfortunately.

Tail lights: full led, turn signals are the entire tail. The tail light design is the same as the one in Europe except our turn signals are red (not amber) and utilize the entire tail light. I assume this tail light arrangement will be across the entire Golf line here in NAR.

Very quiet, not much wind noise (didn't hit 90 km/h however) and very torquey (and relatively flat curve, after 60km/h the torque lessens slightly and you can pull your head out of the headrest). However, we did a red light race with the BMW I3 beside us with 3 people on board (ours was just myself and the VW rep) and they pulled away from us.

Strongest brake regen mode doesn't slow you down too much, it's similar to braking a little more aggressively when you see the traffic light ahead turn yellow and you don't feel like flooring it to clear the light.

The new touch screen infotainment system...both the rep and I had trouble using the gesture (non-touch) interface and just stuck to actually touching the screen (maybe needs calibration?). Maybe just my preference, but I prefer volume button > touch toggle volume.

Rep confirmed about 30 or so colours to special order. DAP is a CW29 onward option.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      05-29-2017 06:29 PM #146
      So I spoke to one of VW Canada reps today about battery replacement. I like to keep my VWs for a long time (my current Jetta is over 11.5 years old), so my biggest concern with an e-Golf is how long the battery will last. The rep told me the warranty of the battery is 8 years / 160,000 km at 70% capacity, which is the same warranty as the US. Now, I don't think I'll get to 160,000 km first (my Jetta now is only 104k km), so if after 8 years I only get 70% capacity, I may want to replace the battery, or at least the degraded battery cells, so I can keep driving it after 8 years and still get 100% range. I can easily drive the same car for 12-15 years. The VW Canada rep says they can definitely replace the battery for me.

Could Jouko, or one of the dealer people on this forum, tell me how much would it cost for a VW dealer to replace my battery AFTER the warranty is over? This is important information for me because it goes into the cost of ownership.

PS: I'm a very cautious driver, so I have researched what I need to do to baby the battery, so I can make it last as long as possible, e.g. use DC charging as little as possible, keep the battery charge at 75-80% max, no lead-foot driving, etc.

Appreciate it.
      Last edited by Enoculator; 05-29-2017 at 08:02 PM.

21. 05-30-2017 11:27 AM #147
      Keep in mind the 8yrs/160,000KM to 70% capacity is for warranty purposes. Volkswagen doesn't want to have to replace any batteries for free, so the batteries should hopefully last significantly longer than that.

Also as these cars become more prevalent, there will be opportunity to replace with used battery packs rather than brand new. Eg. you could potentially replace your 2017's pack with a 2020 model's battery that has been totaled.

22. 05-30-2017 04:56 PM #148
      Has anyone in Vancouver actually gone to finalized the e-golf order? I selected my dealership on May 12 and the dealership still knows nothing.

23. 05-31-2017 09:06 AM #149
      Quote Originally Posted by angusl View Post
      Has anyone in Vancouver actually gone to finalized the e-golf order? I selected my dealership on May 12 and the dealership still knows nothing.
      I'm in Ottawa, but I know of at least one other person in Ottawa who reserved online and has finalized their order (in addition to myself). I didn't wait for them to call me, I called them, went in, gave them the reservation confirmation number and that was good enough for them.

If you have the opportunity, call around to a couple dealers and see who is going to give you a better deal. I did and was able to get the car at MSRP, not a cent in extra fees. I think this is especially important in Vancouver, as I saw on the e-Golf facebook group someone in Vancouver posted that the dealer was charging them $3K over MSRP - but they had reserved with the dealer, not online, so they didn't have much leverage other than walking away. Since you reserved online, you can always change which dealership you want to work with by calling VW.

24. 05-31-2017 01:03 PM #150
      4tires sent me a PM asking how I got it at MSRP, but doesn't have private messages enabled, so I can't reply directly. I'll reply here for everyone's benefit.

Before selecting the dealer I called both dealerships in my area that were selling the e-Golf. Asked both to provide me a competitive quote.

One came back with a $500 admin fee and another $355 in "security etching" fees. The other came back with just a $389 admin fee. There wasn't a huge difference between the two, but the lower priced one was much farther away, so I asked both again to see what they could do to earn my business.

The closer dealer with the admin and security etching fee wasn't willing to come down at all, and the other dealer that was farther away agreed to give me a discount of $389 to cover the admin fee. So I had basically two options:
      Dealer 1: 36855 + tax = 41,646.15
      Dealer 2: 36000 + tax = 40,680.00

Naturally the choice was pretty simple. So if you did reserve online, I'd recommend you call around to the dealerships in your area and see who will give you the better price before assigning them your reservation. They only get to sell you the car if you select them as the dealer.

Mark up on these cars is $2989, so they're making pretty good money on them, even if they don't add on any BS fees. Much more than they make on a regular Golf or Jetta. They don't make much on the packages, only $208 for the DAP and Tech package and $32 for the leatherette.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast